The Royal Forums Coat of Arms


Join The Royal Forums Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #2021  
Old 10-29-2014, 10:53 AM
Gentry
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Bandung, Indonesia
Posts: 99
The Crown Princess of Japan curtseys to the King of the Netherlands today.

Masako de Japn vuelve a vencer su tristeza para rendir homenaje a Mxima de Holanda - Foto 12

.. & to the Queen. (video, 0:15)
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #2022  
Old 10-31-2014, 02:18 PM
carlota's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: , United States
Posts: 7,323
princess takamado, curtsying to queen maxima

http://ppe-agency.com/500px/Oct2014/PPE14103164.jpg

and to the king

http://ppe-agency.com/500px/Oct2014/PPE14103171.jpg

princess yoko, curtsying to queen maxima, and princess akiko, curtsying to king WA

http://ppe-agency.com/500px/Oct2014/PPE14103163.jpg
__________________

__________________
Sign the United Nations Universal Declaration on Animal Welfare: http://www.animalsmatter.org
YOUR DAILY CLICK HELPS ANIMALS SURVIVE!
Feed an animal in need, click for free.
http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/
Take some time to sign the petitions @: http://www.thepetitionsite.com/animal-welfare/all
Reply With Quote
  #2023  
Old 11-03-2014, 06:36 PM
Moonmaiden23's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Los Angeles, United States
Posts: 6,805
The Japanese Imperial women are so graceful and elegant!
__________________
"Be who God intended you to be, and you will set the world on fire" St. Catherine of Siena

"The arc of the moral universe is long, but it bends toward justice" MLK Jr 1929-1968
Reply With Quote
  #2024  
Old 11-03-2014, 07:21 PM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: England, United Kingdom
Posts: 1,349
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlota View Post
princess takamado, curtsying to queen maxima

http://ppe-agency.com/500px/Oct2014/PPE14103164.jpg

and to the king

http://ppe-agency.com/500px/Oct2014/PPE14103171.jpg

princess yoko, curtsying to queen maxima, and princess akiko, curtsying to king WA

http://ppe-agency.com/500px/Oct2014/PPE14103163.jpg
I've only just realised how rare it is to see people curtsy to the Dutch King & Queen given that its not done in The Netherlands itself.
Reply With Quote
  #2025  
Old 11-04-2014, 07:58 AM
RoyalProtocol's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Belfast, United Kingdom
Posts: 718
http://www.zimbio.com/pictures/DEQaz...ce/6igOxFSnfDB.

Dame Quentin Bryce curtseying to Her Majesty The Queen at Buckingham Palace.


Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community
__________________
Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II
59 Years of Dedicated and Devoted Service

God Save The Queen!



Reply With Quote
  #2026  
Old 11-07-2014, 07:16 AM
Nico's Avatar
Royal Highness
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Paris, France
Posts: 1,743
A complete Bowing/curtseying/kissing/Handshaking festival from 2012 :

Reply With Quote
  #2027  
Old 11-07-2014, 07:44 AM
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Pittsburgh, United States
Posts: 2,089
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy100 View Post
I've only just realised how rare it is to see people curtsy to the Dutch King & Queen given that its not done in The Netherlands itself.
In the video below, you can see Princess Diana and, I believe, Princess Anne curtsying to Queen Beatrix. Note that they don't curtsy to Prince Claus, who, being an HRH, is equal in rank to them.

Reply With Quote
  #2028  
Old 11-07-2014, 07:55 AM
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Pittsburgh, United States
Posts: 2,089
BTW, I also found some old British Path footage of Queen Juliana's inauguration (incorrectly referred to in the video title as "coronation") and, as you can see, the congregation bows/curtsies both to Queen Juliana and to Princess (former Queen) Wilhelmina. I suppose it was only during Juliana's reign that curtsying was abandoned in the Netherlands.




In case you are interested, there is also footage of Queen Juliana's 1950 visit to the UK where we see Princess Ellizabeth and Princess Margaret curtsying to the Dutch queen.

Reply With Quote
  #2029  
Old 11-07-2014, 08:27 AM
Dman's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Midwest, United States
Posts: 12,313
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
In the video below, you can see Princess Diana and, I believe, Princess Anne curtsying to Queen Beatrix. Note that they don't curtsy to Prince Claus, who, being an HRH, is equal in rank to them.

Back in the old days there were several members of the royal family participating in the official welcoming of a State Visit. I don't know what happened to that.
__________________
"WE CANNOT PRAY IN LOVE AND LIVE IN HATE AND STILL THINK WE ARE WORSHIPING GOD."

A.W. TOZER
Reply With Quote
  #2030  
Old 11-07-2014, 10:59 AM
JR76's Avatar
Courtier
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Malm, Sweden
Posts: 969
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
In the video below, you can see Princess Diana and, I believe, Princess Anne curtsying to Queen Beatrix. Note that they don't curtsy to Prince Claus, who, being an HRH, is equal in rank to them.


But shouldn't the consort of a monarch be it male or female share the rank of his/her partner?


Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app
Reply With Quote
  #2031  
Old 11-07-2014, 11:17 AM
Al_bina's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: City, Kazakhstan
Posts: 7,228
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nico View Post
A complete Bowing/curtseying/kissing/Handshaking festival from 2012 :
... [snipped]
Thanks for the video!
It was nice to see monarchs in a semi-private environment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlota View Post
princess takamado, curtsying to queen maxima

http://ppe-agency.com/500px/Oct2014/PPE14103164.jpg

and to the king

http://ppe-agency.com/500px/Oct2014/PPE14103171.jpg

princess yoko, curtsying to queen maxima, and princess akiko, curtsying to king WA

http://ppe-agency.com/500px/Oct2014/PPE14103163.jpg
Thanks for the photos!
Curtsies by Japanese Imperial Princesses are perfect.
__________________
"I never did mind about the little things"
Amanda, "Point of No Return"
Reply With Quote
  #2032  
Old 11-07-2014, 11:33 AM
Skippyboo's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Atlanta, United States
Posts: 3,706
Quote:
Originally Posted by JR76 View Post
But shouldn't the consort of a monarch be it male or female share the rank of his/her partner?


Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app
In most countries, a wife takes the rank of her husband but the reverse isn't true so a husband doesn't take the rank of the wife.




Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community
Reply With Quote
  #2033  
Old 11-07-2014, 12:06 PM
Duc_et_Pair's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: City, Christmas Island
Posts: 6,453
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
BTW, I also found some old British Path footage of Queen Juliana's inauguration (incorrectly referred to in the video title as "coronation") and, as you can see, the congregation bows/curtsies both to Queen Juliana and to Princess (former Queen) Wilhelmina. I suppose it was only during Juliana's reign that curtsying was abandoned in the Netherlands.




In case you are interested, there is also footage of Queen Juliana's 1950 visit to the UK where we see Princess Ellizabeth and Princess Margaret curtsying to the Dutch queen.

Princess Wilhelmina, Princess Juliana and Princess Beatrix, all of them reverted back to the style they held before their kingship. In protocol however all of them came directly after the monarch and had precedence before the underaged Heir. In the three Benelux monarchies the rvrence is not observed so there is no visible difference between greeting Queen Mxima or Princess Beatrix.

Reply With Quote
  #2034  
Old 11-07-2014, 12:11 PM
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Pittsburgh, United States
Posts: 2,089
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippyboo View Post
In most countries, a wife takes the rank of her husband but the reverse isn't true so a husband doesn't take the rank of the wife.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

That is right ! The wife of a king becomes queen consort and takes her husband's rank, explaining why the Japanese princesses curtsied to Maxima.


If I am not mistaken, it was possible in the past for the husband of a reigning queen to take the title of "king consort" and the rank of "majesty". Philip II of Spain for example was made "king consort" of England in the reign of his wife, Mary I. Nowadays, however, the husband of a reigning queen is normally just a "prince consort" and takes therefore a lower rank, explaining why Princess Diana for example didn't curtsy to Prince Claus.

In another video below of Queen Beatrix's state visit to Spain, once again you see Infanta Elena and Infanta Cristina curtsying to Queen Beatrix, but not to Prince Claus (around 3:20 and also around 6:10).

Reply With Quote
  #2035  
Old 11-07-2014, 12:26 PM
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Pittsburgh, United States
Posts: 2,089
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
That is right ! The wife of a king becomes queen consort and takes her husband's rank, explaining why the Japanese princesses curtsied to Maxima.


If I am not mistaken, it was possible in the past for the husband of a reigning queen to take the title of "king consort" and the rank of "majesty". Philip II of Spain for example was made "king consort" of England in the reign of his wife, Mary I. Nowadays, however, the husband of a reigning queen is normally just a "prince consort" and takes therefore a lower rank, explaining why Princess Diana for example didn't curtsy to Prince Claus.

In another video below of Queen Beatrix's state visit to Spain, once again you see Infanta Elena and Infanta Cristina curtsying to Queen Beatrix, but not to Prince Claus (around 3:20 and also around 6:10).

It is curious to see BTW that Queen Beatrix around 7:30 delivers her dinner speech in French, one of the languages she is fluent in along with English, German and, of course, Dutch. Usually, in most state visits, the Queen normally spoke in English, but maybe she assumed French would be closer to Spanish.
Reply With Quote
  #2036  
Old 11-07-2014, 12:51 PM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: *******, Canada
Posts: 5,148
Since male consort are afforded no precedence in Britain it must be assigned by the reigning Queen. During Victoria's reign there was talk of her wanting Parliament to create Albert 'King Consort' but the government for a variety of reasons shot down the idea.

The advice of her ministers was if Parliament could make a King then Parliament could 'unmake' a King and this wasn't a road Queen Victoria wanted to go down for obvious reasons.

She later settled on Prince Consort.
Reply With Quote
  #2037  
Old 11-12-2014, 08:33 PM
soapstar's Avatar
Super Moderator
Picture of the Week Coordinator
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Hermosa Beach, United States
Posts: 3,492
Back in August, there was much discussion about Kate and William ignoring King Felipe at the Belgium WWI Commemoration Ceremony. I recently found a photo of William and King Felipe before the ceremony started. So William and Kate had already spoken to him before they got on stage.

Sorry I can't link the photo directly, you'll have to scroll down through the photos.

Archbishop Richard Clarke: 'War Must Always Represent Abject Failure Of Humanity'
Reply With Quote
  #2038  
Old 11-12-2014, 09:14 PM
Lady Nimue's Avatar
Heir Presumptive
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Pacific Palisades, United States
Posts: 2,339
Quote:
Originally Posted by soapstar View Post
Back in August, there was much discussion about Kate and William ignoring King Felipe at the Belgium WWI Commemoration Ceremony. I recently found a photo of William and King Felipe before the ceremony started. So William and Kate had already spoken to him before they got on stage.

Sorry I can't link the photo directly, you'll have to scroll down through the photos,

Archbishop Richard Clarke: 'War Must Always Represent Abject Failure Of Humanity'
Thank you for directing me over here, Soapstar. I see now.
__________________
Russian National Anthem: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bGoNaLjQrV8
O Magnum Mysterium: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dWU7dyey6yo
Reply With Quote
  #2039  
Old 11-13-2014, 06:50 PM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: *******, Canada
Posts: 5,148
The start or the finish of a curtsey?

https://a248.e.akamai.net/f/1202/157...hnesses_Th.jpg
Reply With Quote
  #2040  
Old 11-14-2014, 07:39 PM
Gentry
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Bandung, Indonesia
Posts: 99
Bernadette Chirac curtseys to Prince Moulay Rachid of Morocco's wife yesterday (video, 0:42)

__________________

Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 5 (0 members and 5 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Popular Tags
90th birthday of queen elizabeth ii albania ascot 2016 best gown best gown september 2016 best hat best outfit birthday countess of snowdon coup d'etat crown princess mary crown princess mary evening dresses crown princess mary fashion danish royal family denmark duchess of cambridge duke of cambridge fashion poll general news jew jewels king abdullah ii king carl gustaf and queen silvia king philippe king willem-alexander maxima in australia and new zealand member introduction monarchy new zealand norway november 2016 october 2016 opening of parliament picture of the week prince charles princess beatrice hats princess marie princess mary princess mary casual style princess mary daytime fashion princess mary fashion princess mary hats princess mette-marit fashion and style princess sofia queen letizia queen letizia casual outfits queen letizia daytime fashion queen letizia fashion queen margrethe queen mathilde queen maxima queen maxima casual wear queen maxima daytime fashion queen maxima fashion queen maxima hats queen maxima style queen rania queen rania fashion queen silvia september 2016 state visit succession sweden the duchess of cambridge the duchess of cambridge casual wear the duchess of cambridge daytime fashion the duchess of cambridge fashion the duchess of cambridge hats tiara tiaras


Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:44 AM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2017
Jelsoft Enterprises