Would They Have Married?

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Why do I feel that that "backseat" has caused Mark Phillips to stray from his marriage and not give a damn for it. Basically I am intrigued by mark Phillips..he seems more of a "man' to me than Anne's 3 brothers..I donno wat went wrong..Damn..the more they hide..the more we want..lolll
And I hardly consider Tim Laurence worthy of an awe, though..Wat u say

I feel the best guys to marry a princess are international celebrities like sportspersons, or atleast actors who have already achieved a 'hero" status..This is how its beneficial in both ways..
The guy's celebrity status will be cemented forever..long after his retirement..and can use it to benefit his causes and enhance the name of his as well as his in-laws' "House".
And the Princess and her kids will get relieved (atleast a bit) of the "freeloader" tag..

Would she say yes to him if he was not a prince? Is his being a prince the primary attraction?

Agreed. I think this would be the best way to "analyze the situation". From the answers posted here, now I realize that Kate's decision to marry Prince William was well-thought-out.

If it turned out to be Mario Max, I would say no way in a heart beat! LOL. Other than that, it is an interesting question and something to really think about. I suppose it would be difficult to say no but on the other hand, is a title more important than love? Granted, there are women out there who would jump at the chance to marry a prince just for that reason. I think that love and happiness for the rest of your life takes priority over becoming a princess. If you can have it all though? The whole package? I would probably say yes. :)

If I wasn't madly in love with the guy (and vice versa please), I would absolutely say no. I would have a hard time adjusting. I'm not a skirt and skin-colored tights kinda girl. Far too opinionated when it comes to politics and equal rights (I have no patience for the extreme right) and am definetly not interested in a relationship where I'm lesser than the man.

I also wouldn't want to carry a title like HRH Princess Michael. I have my own name and am my own person, not my husbands. It's so backwards to me. I would also want to work for my own money and wear the clothes I wish to wear.

So my answer would be no.

I imagine that there are women out there who would say yes to anything a prince asked them to do. If they were told to go out and do jumping jacks in the street, I imagine there would be those who would do so because the prince asked them to do so. For most women, there would be a limit on the yes.

My thinking has always been you want to try to keep in good or favor (I don't mean favor in a sexual way) with people that are higher on the social-economic scale than yourself or more powerful than yourself who show an interest in you or can help you along the way. The last thing one would want to do would be to upset or offend people who have power or influence. Depending on the circumstances, this could be difficult.

If I had musical talent (which I don't) and I was invited by a prince to perform at a party, I would accept the invitation even if I didn't particuarly like him. If he were a really horrible person or had extreme views than I couldn't stomach, then I would decline politely or have some other excuse.

I've heard of a least one case where a singer turned down the invitation of a prince to perform at a party (can't remember which country) and was very rude about it (not a good thing to do to a prince). It seemed like she didn't like the prince or didn't like his views or something of that nature.

I would think if a princess was the heir to the throne, guys would be a lot more intimidated by this than they would if she was a princess who wasn't heir to the throne. A guy who was conceited, who had a big ego or was arrogant or had this attitude of being God's gift to women wouldn't do well in this role. Or the guy who wanted to control the situation or wanted the world to revolve around him. Forget about wanting to be first in this situation.

A guy whose laid back, who doesn't care if he's the center of attention or one who doesn't have a big ego would do fine in the role. This could be a regular guy or someone who has celeb status.

Like their male counterparts, they would also be concerned with whether the guy really loves them, or is marrying them to improve or enhance his social standing or business contacts. Although probably not as common, you have men that marry women for their money.

I would imagine that the prince would have to have a lot going for him besides his title, especially if he was from a high profile reigning family, to balance out having to give up pretty much any semblance of privacy upon marriage. If you marry the heir you not only marry him but also his country so you better be very sure that you are up to the challenges and are in it for the long haul.

I think it takes a certain personality and temperament to marry into a royal households. Some of them are very rigid. Some of them aren't. The ones who are very rigid would be the most difficult to live in or one that has lots of rules or does and don't. Even the ones that aren't so rigid or who don't have rules for everything would be a challenge. Some women couldn't handle it. When they can't handle it, the marriage often breaks down with it or goes sour. I don't think women who marry into royal households go in with the thought of what they would do if they can't handle it. They figure they can handle it.

I would think if a princess was the heir to the throne, guys would be a lot more intimidated by this than they would if she was a princess who wasn't heir to the throne. A guy who was conceited, who had a big ego or was arrogant or had this attitude of being God's gift to women wouldn't do well in this role. Or the guy who wanted to control the situation or wanted the world to revolve around him. Forget about wanting to be first in this situation.

A guy whose laid back, who doesn't care if he's the center of attention or one who doesn't have a big ego would do fine in the role. This could be a regular guy or someone who has celeb status.

Like their male counterparts, they would also be concerned with whether the guy really loves them, or is marrying them to improve or enhance his social standing or business contacts. Although probably not as common, you have men that marry women for their money.

That is why Prince Daniel is doing well so far. He genuinely loves CP Victoria and didn't marry her for fame - even though that came with the package.

Some men wouldn't be able to handle it, but true and good, loving and noble men would have no problems with it.

Some times I think Royals family are like the italian mafia families . I saw a film many years ago I can not remember the name but melissa gilbert and robert urich were the main characters, very sad film,.of course it was not about real life, but still very sad. Once you go in you are married for life to their way to live and eventhought the money and the access to materials things is very tempting I wonder really how it is in everyday life. Royal is a bussiness and I guess it is like another family buisness you have to be madly in love and after to know the family you more or less know what you get into . it takes a very special person-charater to marrried to a prince, becasue eventhough you married him you are marrieng hisfamily too.

hehehe, I wondered when this question might crop up! It's slightly more complicated to answer than the girl marrying a prince sceanrio because it's happens so few times. Prince Daniel is a perfect example of doing the right thing at the right time - had he not been genuine, I think he would have tried to marry Victoria many years earlier. Instead their relationship developed from friendship to relationship in a slow and careful manner over a very long period until one day it came to a point where the natural thing to do would be to marry. I'd be more suspicious of a whirlwind lets get hitched quick situation because in a short period of time, one simply couldn't get used to royal life and all that it entails.
Imagine starting a new job, with no training or experience and you've applied just because the money is good and the boss is attractive......after a short while you'd soon realise you'd made a mistake and that seed in your mind would grow until you're completely stressed out and want out. On the other hand, if your perfect job came up and you knew what to expect and had ages to think about it and considered all your options, then you'd be sure in your mind that doing the job is the right thing.

In fact: allready Prince Charles had the problem, that some of his former girlfriends said: 'no, thank you' to the job he offered.

So, yes a lot of clever women don't want to be in the limelight for the rest of their lives. I would very much prefer just a rich man over anyone in the limelight. I value my freedome to have a nude sunbath without finding myself in the papers the very next day.

I am very curious about this. Here is a hypothetical question:
Two young people meet at an elite private school. They are all rich and in that sense somewhat equal, but one of them is royalty. Would any girl say "no" to a prince?
a lot would depend on his character and the actual compatibility between the two.If I was courted by a prince He would have to be a gentleman first and a prince second

I would not marry a Prince. The zooming in cameras, the reporters asking childhood friends for any dirty laungry, the zillion rules at the household, the etiquette - just no! But, Prince Haakon is mighty fine... :)

if i had to choose based on 'just' marrying a Prince, i would say NO, i hate the royal life, they are like puppets, no privacy at all, lots of criticism, hipocrisy from people around them. money cant buy those things!
but if it was based not just a Prince, but the man itself and if there's true love and genuine feelings, i would say YES and take the risk.

I would not marry a Prince. The zooming in cameras, the reporters asking childhood friends for any dirty laungry, the zillion rules at the household, the etiquette - just no! But, Prince Haakon is mighty fine... :)
hehe......Yes he is mighty fine.....;)

The country the prince is from might also influence the decision. Western European, Arab, Asian. How big a cultural gap is there between this mythical woman and the mythical prince?

Some times I think Royals family are like the italian mafia families . I saw a film many years ago I can not remember the name but melissa gilbert and robert urich were the main characters, very sad film,.of course it was not about real life, but still very sad. Once you go in you are married for life to their way to live and eventhought the money and the access to materials things is very tempting I wonder really how it is in everyday life. Royal is a bussiness and I guess it is like another family buisness you have to be madly in love and after to know the family you more or less know what you get into . it takes a very special person-charater to marrried to a prince, becasue eventhough you married him you are marrieng hisfamily too.

Interesting comparison.
I like the crown in your photo. Whose crown is it?

But how would the laid back guy who would fit the role even propose to the princess if he is not as daring as the one who wouldn't fit the role?

vkrish said:
Why do I feel that that "backseat" has caused Mark Phillips to stray from his marriage and not give a damn for it. Basically I am intrigued by mark Phillips..he seems more of a "man' to me than Anne's 3 brothers..I donno wat went wrong..Damn..the more they hide..the more we want..lolll
And I hardly consider Tim Laurence worthy of an awe, though..Wat u say

Anne never had any sisters, only brothers (just like me, but in my case, it's also an absence of female paternal cousins), but she's had 4 sisters-in-law!

If a woman is in a relationship for a long time with a prince, then she would probably have a good idea of whether or not she would fit into his world and his family. The longer that she's in a relationship, the more she will get to know him and his family.

A whirlwind courtship and quick marriage is not the way to go because when you marry into royalty, you marry into the prince's family and if there are things about the prince or his family that you don't like, don't think you can change those things. You can't and trying to do so will only result in strained relationships and unhappiness and down the road possible divorce. Some things you don't like you can live with (minor annoyances for example).

Other things you can't or it becomes intolerable. I would think any person male or female marrying into royalty should give great thought to it before marriage, weigh the pros and cons and then make a decision. Marriage in itself is an important decision.

An interesting but difficult question :flowers:! I for one couldn't come up with an answer unless I were in a relationship with a prince:whistling: . Else, I'd say that such a liason would be over my dead body!

According to the grapevine in Copenhagen CP Frederik in his younger days- before he met Mary -was overheard saying in the "gents" of one of his then watering holes that " they all want to become queens!". It was at the time when he was dating Danish girls at two year intervals!

I'm sure that the royal life style would attract many young women, it would be quite a catch to become princess- something- or- other! However I'm also certain that most princes are able to spot a gold digger or anyone, who not interested in him for his own sake.

As for Chelsea Davy: maybe she really doesn't want to take on a royal life, but: I've been wondering whether there is a different reason for the break-up:
Her fathers alleged relationship with the regime of Zimbabwe!- If true I doubt that it would go down well with the Windsors!

viv

As for Chelsea Davy: maybe she really doesn't want to take on a royal life, but: I've been wondering whether there is a different reason for the break-up:
Her fathers alleged relationship with the regime of Zimbabwe!- If true I doubt that it would go down well with the Windsors!

viv

After the way the press has treated the Middleton family, I think it will many many years before Prince Harry is married. I agree the Davy family's 'connections' to the Mugabe regime would be a difficult sell.

I know I wouldn't ever marry an crown prince, even if I was madly in love with the guy. Not only because of the lack of privacy , the press (although they wouldn't be interested in me , Im a very sloppy dresser :p and I like it that way) and the of the troubles that go with modern monarchy but most importantly for the sake of my children. Because , honestly , what kind of decisions could I and their father make for them in free will? Their future would be in many matters decided even before they were born, the schools, the residence, (a part of )the social circle -and one of them, the father's heir/heiress, well that child can't possibly become everything he/she likes because there would only be one destination in life for him/her. The idea of giving birth to children with pre designed lifes justs saddens me so I wouldn't definitely avoid it.

I don't think every royal's life is sketched in stone. The heir to the throne would have limited choices career wise. Can you imagine if a heir to the throne or a royal told his/her parents that he wanted to be in a rock band or wanted to be an actor/actress, wanted to be a dancer, wanted to race cars for NASCAR (this would be of course highly unlikely) or wanted to run an animal shelter what the reaction would be? Most likely his parents would react in horror to this and tell him he had two options: Their way or the highway.

Those who aren't heirs to the throne, those who don't have a throne and those who are highly unlikely to be a heir or a monarch probably have some restrictions in their lives but nothing like it would have been 30 or 40 years ago.

They probably would go to certain schools and be in certain social circles but perhaps wouldn't be too restrictive as to what career paths they would take.

When Prince William married Kate, he chose her. She wasn't chosen for him nor was he pressured to marry someone that the family thought would be suitable. It would be very interesting if someone had been chosen for him, who it would have been or who would have been considered to be suitable for him. The heir to the throne picking their own partner is more the norm today than it was 40 or 50 years ago.

Daniel and Victoria (if she wasn't the crown princess) - I think he would've married her no matter what
Henrik and Margrethe (if she wasn't the crown princess) - maybe. He was titled noble anyway and would marry someone, so why not Princess Margrethe even if she werent CP
Philip and Elizabeth (if she wasn't the heiress apparent) - yes Philips family was impoverished. He lived with his grandmother who loved in a grace and favour apartment at Kensington Palace. He would marry into wealth so what of she wouldn't be queen someday, his financial future would be secure!
Constantine and Anne-Marie (if she wasn't a Danish princess) yes. I think he really loved her and still does
Juan Carlos and Sofia (if she wasn't a Greek princess) - yes. Can't think of any reason to justify the answer
Pavlos and Marie Chantal (if she wasn't as wealthy as she is) - no. Pavlos was royal with little money. Marie Chantal was a commoner with loads of money and royal dreams. They've both married for benefits
Ranier and Grace (is she hadn't been an actress)- no. Rainer seemed to have an eye for women and could've had a bevy of beauties to choose from. He chose a beauty befitting his lifestyle
Antony and Margaret (if she wasn't the Queen's sister) - no. Antony seemed to enjoy mingling with the who's who of society. Marrying Margaret gave him access to a lot of people he otherwise wouldn't know

I doubt JC and Sofia would have married. Franco wanted him to marry a woman from a reigning European royal family and there were not that many options open to the Roman Catholic heir to the still deposed Spanish royal family. He needed to marry someone Franco approved of in order to secure his position as Franco's potential heir should the monarchy be restored which was not certain at that point. As much as Franco favored the main dynastic Bourbon line there were other potential candidates including Carlos Hugo of Bourbon Parma, the Carlist heir, who would later marry Irene of The Netherlands.

Last edited:
She may be a "princess" but she is close enough to it. Would Mike Tindall have married Zara if her granny were not the Queen?

I think they are such an interesting couple. Their body language is always fascinating when together. They have a long history and mutual interests. I can go either way on this one. What do you think?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom