Would They Have Married?

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
fandesacs2003 said:
I have often also the same feeling, but do not forget that Letizia is a coldheaded person, she does not show very much feelings. I think sge shares a good relation with Felipe, but talking for deep love !!! I'm not so sure.
Noone of them gives the impression that they share a passion like Philip & Mathilde, or Frederik & Mary.
And I do believe that she enjoys her official appearances, tiaras etc, and comparing her pics from now with photos of her first appearances, she seems now feeling strong moments of glory !!!!!!!

I simply think she was rather nervous in the beginning and feels more secure now.
I do believe that Letizia is a very ambitious person, so ambition might have played a role in her marrying Felipe rather than the bricklayer we can't seem to get rid of. But she already had a divorce and doubtlessly is clever enough to know that having a divorce in her present marriage will be difficult. So at least she must like Felipe well enough to know that she can stand being with him for a very long time.

Clothilde Courau ? I don´t know. When she got married to her prince was she not preagnet then ???

Yes, Clotilde was 6 months pregnant with Vittoria when she married Emanuele-Filiberto. (and you really have to know it on the wedding day, nearly nothig was visible under her dress!:D )

I know a lot of people are going to diagree with me, but I don't think Camilla would've married Charles if wasn't a Prince. Right before their engagement became public, rumors were that she was getting tired of not attending state events with him, and wanted to be included as his wife AND as a ROYAL MEMBER.I think she would have NEVER married him, if he wasn't a prince.;) :)

polop said:
I know a lot of people are going to diagree with me, but I don't think Camilla would've married Charles if wasn't a Prince. Right before their engagement became public, rumors were that she was getting tired of not attending state events with him, and wanted to be included as his wife AND as a ROYAL MEMBER.I think she would have NEVER married him, if he wasn't a prince.;) :)

well I think Charles was tired of not having her officially there with him as his wife. there was that whole debacle of them not being allowed to sit together at the van cutsem wedding. a lot of people thought that was the straw that broke the camel's back.

but really...Camilla stayed with charles for so long. putting up with being called the "rottweiler" and being widely mocked and hated by the media and countless people around the world, having their phone conversation played on tv...i dont know about you but not even the prospect of getting to wear the delhi durbar could make me put up with all that.

only the power of love would.

Mary and Marie-Chantal are the 2 I suspect most of having married for reasons other than love based on what I have seen of them. They both seem to be more in love with the whole idea of a "princess" than anything else (imo).

As for the passion issue, the frst heady feelings of love don't last (and it's now scientifically proven!) so a couple needs to have something more substantial than just hugs and kisses.

However, it's impossible to say as I know none of the Royal ladies personally.

Last edited:
Little_star said:
Mary and Marie-Chantal are the 2 I suspect most of having married for reasons other than love based on what I have seen of them. They both seem to be more in love with the whole idea of a "princess" than anything else (imo).

As for the passion issue, the frst heady feelings of love don't last (and it's now scientifically proven!) so a couple needs to have something more substantial than just hugs and kisses.

However, it's impossible to say as I know none of the Royal ladies personally.

Little_star

If you require a scientist to let you know how your marriage is going, or will go, that's fine. I'm sure that the majority don't.
There is a little bit of contradiction in your post. [based on what i have seen of them] and [impossible to say as I know none of the royal ladies]
I thought we had been through the debate, of whether or not these royals feelings and inner thoughts, could be determined accurately by looking at photos and a few vids???
I am a Mary fan, but I would not speculate on Letizia's feelings just using photos and videos, unless I saw something which stood out.
All of the princesses, should be given the benifit of the doubt, until proven otherwise.
That is not to say, that I don't agree with this thread of course, because as we all know, royal marriages traditionally have happened to accomodate improved relationships between countries which under normal circumstances, may have been strained. Wealth and prestige have been other reasons.

I believe, that all of the commoner princesses, married for love, but, they would have been aware, that there was the added bonus of becoming a princess. That is not a bad thing to be happy about.

Cheers Jaques D.

Last edited:
During economic crisis...most women want to marry men for money. In my opinion.....if prince(s) are commoners,

M-M, Mathide, Letizia would marrry for love 100% for sure.

Maxima would marry W-A for nationality. In NYC, most latino women prefer to choose to marry European men so that they can upgrade thier identies, and change (hide) thier latin root, most of latino women don't speak Spanish, even though they can speak English very well or have very good careers.

Mary would marry Frederick for money because she changed job every month; she didn't stay in her job longer than 1 month!

Kate Middleton would marry for money.

Most women would marry Prince Monaco for money.

sriwadee said:
Maxima would marry W-A for nationality. In NYC, most latino women prefer to choose to marry European men so that they can upgrade thier identies, and change (hide) thier latin root, most of latino women don't speak Spanish, even though they can speak English very well or have very good careers.

Well, I don't know much about the situation in NYC, but I'm pretty sure Maxima would have married W-A no matter what, even if he wasn't royal and european. In the beginning she had to put up with a lot of not so pleasant things here in Holland (concerning her father and stuff) and she eventually got through it all. Personally I don't think that one would want to put up with all that if it wasn't for love. I also never got the impression that she wants to hide her latin roots, I think she is pretty proud of them, though she is Dutch princess now. :D

Personally I think princess Mabel would have never looked one bit at Johan-Friso if it wasn't for him being a prince. I still think that's a very odd marriage. I can't put my finger on it, but sometimes she just gives me the creeps with her bows and dark lipstick. Well, maybe Mabel is a really lovely person, the Queen seems to love her very much, so...

sriwadee said:
During economic crisis...most women want to marry men for money. In my opinion.....if prince(s) are commoners,

M-M, Mathide, Letizia would marrry for love 100% for sure.

Mary would marry Frederick for money because she changed job every month; she didn't stay in her job longer than 1 month!

Kate Middleton would marry for money.

Most women would marry Prince Monaco for money.

sriwadee

I'm not sure I understand the correlation between changing jobs and marrying for money.:confused:
Mary you say, married Fredeik for money, so following your theory, there must have been an economic crisis in Australia or she was about to change her job. :D lol rotfl

You generalise about Latino women quite decidely. Is there predjudice behind your comments???

Jaques D.

I see a real warmth in Letizia, I actually see her as one of the most down-to-earth and least status-aware of the crown princesses.other people don't, but I am sure her and Felipe will last forever.

Aussie Princess said:
I see a real warmth in Letizia, I actually see her as one of the most down-to-earth and least status-aware of the crown princesses.other people don't, but I am sure her and Felipe will last forever.

I think that too; besides hell would freezes over before a catholic monarchy accepts a divorce

Nobody can answer exactly to this topic question. I guess even all above mentioned Princessess and their husbands would never admitted their "cold head" even looking in the mirror :cool:
As to me, let's take two different men, both with a kind heart and nice personality. Well, I sooner fall in love with a very educated, multilingual (better 5 languages), succesfull and well-established man than in a bricklayer :p. Why? Because I respect men, which have aspirations, ambitions, goals and know the way how to get all they want. "Successful man" for me, first of all, means - keen intellect, hardwork and lack of laziness. Sure, we all have the right to have our own preferences. And so I cannot judge all those girls-commoners for their choice to become Princess. I do not see contradiction between Real Love and sober view of things. If you love a man and have a good chance to change&improve your life, why not? :)

Last edited:
Pollop, you are right people are going to disagree with you on Charles and Camilla :)

I agree with what Pollyemma said but I also would like to add that while I think there was an attraction to Camilla to repeat history like her Great-grandmother that only when so far. They enjoy the same things , and like to do things and be together. Getting married meant for Camilla, she was able to be with Charles as much as they wanted to be without the palace etc not allowing it. .But considering her private nature/personality and what has been written about her I don't think becoming royal was a selling point. to her. But Charles wants to be King and Camilla will what she can to help him achieve that goal.

Little_star

"If you require a scientist to let you know how your marriage is going, or will go, that's fine. I'm sure that the majority don't."

Would you kindly point out where I stated I would need a scientist to tell me how my marriage ( I am not married) was going? I never stated or suggested anything of the sort?

"There is a little bit of contradiction in your post. [based on what i have seen of them] and [impossible to say as I know none of the royal ladies]
I thought we had been through the debate, of whether or not these royals feelings and inner thoughts, could be determined accurately by looking at photos and a few vids??? ""
It seems you misunderstood what I was saying, I'll explain it again. I was merely poitning out that from what I have observed I had concluded that some Royals do not seem to be as "in love" as others suggest. However, none of use will ever truly know the innermost feelings. It was not a contradiction.

"I am a Mary fan, but I would not speculate on Letizia's feelings just using photos and videos, unless I saw something which stood out.
All of the princesses, should be given the benifit of the doubt, until proven otherwise."
I've seen some things that to me that have stood out, thats why I feel the way I do.

What about Grace, would she have married Rainier if he hadn't been the ruler of Monaco?

Smilla said:
What about Grace, would she have married Rainier if he hadn't been the ruler of Monaco?

good question. from what i've heard she barely knew him before they were married so i think she married him for his title. but i think they did end up having a happy marriage.

I read that, when asked whether it was "love at first sight", Rainier said that this was a word that was not part of his vocabulary. So this sounds pretty calculating, too.

Smilla said:
I read that, when asked whether it was "love at first sight", Rainier said that this was a word that was not part of his vocabulary. So this sounds pretty calculating, too.

that does sound pretty calculating. wow. i had never read that. it doesnt reflect well on him.

I don't know. I mean, he had the obligation of finding a suitable companion and "mother of the country" (as we call it in German). So he had to be calculating to some extent, didn't he? If I'd be him, I wouldn't have admitted it to the press, though. "You know...I saw her...and I suddenly realized she was the woman I wanted to spend my life with." That sounds much better than "I needed somebody who could smile nicely, look pretty, and had wide child-bearing hips."

polop said:

As I understand it the reason she turned him DOWN 36 years ago was because he was a Prince! I also believe he was the one who pushed for marriage this time!

Skydragon said:
As I understand it the reason she turned him DOWN 36 years ago was because he was a Prince!

Maybe she changed her opinion?
(Whatever she did to make him marry her - or the other way round - she clearly deserved to!)

Smilla said:
Maybe she changed her opinion?
(Whatever she did to make him marry her - or the other way round - she clearly deserved to!)

As Pollyemma said, Charles was furious that at certain events they were not seated together. Then the civil servants who look to the future also started to push for them to marry or separate. It would have been unacceptable to have a King and his ladyfriend in BP, if the Queen had died.
Camilla did not want the pomp and circumstance, the intrusion by the media into her or her childrens lives.
Yes I agree, I am glad they married, they seem to make each other very happy, lets hope everyone of the royals are still happily together after such a long time.:)

"What about Grace, would she have married Rainier if he hadn't been the ruler of Monaco?"

i read a book a while ago that claimed the marriage beween Rainier and Grace was arranged. Allegedly, the Prince wanted to boost the profile of Monaco and spoke to several Hollywood studios as to who would be a suitable "lady". Apparently the studios suggested Marilyn Monroe, but Rainier felt she was too racy and in the end they agreed on Grace.

I'd like to add this is purely speculative and just something I read in a book. I'm not suggesting or claiming this is factual.

Whether it is true or just rumour, Grace was possibly a better choice. Did your book say if Grace was aware of the fact that she was just one of a ton of "suitable ladies"?

"Whether it is true or just rumour, Grace was possibly a better choice. Did your book say if Grace was aware of the fact that she was just one of a ton of "suitable ladies"?"

Oh yes, it was very much an agreement between both parties. But like I said before, I'm not suggesting or claiming it's true, just something I read.

SpiffyBallerina said:
The only one I really doubt is MC and CP Pavlos. I think it was made very obvious that it was a very sweet deal for both sides. Not that they don't love each other (and I hope they do with 4 children), but I'm sure the marriage would never have happened if titles weren't involved.

That is so true, the marriage united two very calculating individuals. :rolleyes:

polop said:

I agree, I think recongition did probably become quite important to Camilla, esp as Di had passed away for quite a few years now and public opinion had probably softened. So Charles did not really have a big excuse for not marrying her...:rolleyes:

Little_star said:
"Whether it is true or just rumour, Grace was possibly a better choice. Did your book say if Grace was aware of the fact that she was just one of a ton of "suitable ladies"?"

Oh yes, it was very much an agreement between both parties. But like I said before, I'm not suggesting or claiming it's true, just something I read.

Apparently the deal worked quite well.From what I've read they seem to have developed a good relationship.

UserDane said:

It's difficult to judge how 'smart' people are based on their school days. Those I went to school with and considered smart were not necessarily the ones who got the best or most lengthy educations.​
Besides, Frederik is undoubtedly 'people smart' - many people really like him. And that is an important type of intelligence for a future regent :)

That's right Userdane. I know of people who don't have University degrees but are very business minded and have done well for themselves. I think he is well rounded and has a good head on his shoulders. I also agree that he appears to have married for love- I couldn't imagine anyone marrying for any other reason-( sure it happens though) ie for companionship and financial security-but to me that would be sad and lonely- I know i couldn't do it- i 'd rather be alone.

Well....as long as we're doing a "what-if"...

Why would Mary *have* to move to Denmark if Fred was a bricklayer? Let's pretend that Fred is a Danish bricklayer/sales manager/engineer who still has fluent English...it would make more sense for Fred to move to Australia where both Mary and Fred spoke the language.

IMHO, Fred and Mary would have still married but perhaps made their life together in Australia.

I love what-if stuff :)

Debby

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom