Winter Olympics 2006 - Turin

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LadyS

Courtier
City
Johannesburg
Country
South Africa
I was wondering if the royals attending the Winter Olympics will visit with each other?

Perhaps we can have a thread for news and pictures of the various royals at this winter olympics. Especially if there are photos of royals in groups.

Please feel free to delete this post if it is not suitable

Posts 39-42 of this link to the Italian Royalty sub-forum have pics of Prince Emanuele Filiberto of Savoy carrying the Olympic Torch in Turin, watched by his parents, the Prince and Princess of Naples.

Princess Anne of Britain, Prince Albert of Monaco, & Crown Prince Willem-Alexander of Netherlands are all also present at Turin. They also attended the IOC meeting.

Crown Prince Haakon, King Harald, Crown Prince Frederik, and Princess Benedikte will also visit the Winter Olympic

Prince Albert of Monaco meets the President of the Italian Republic Carlo Azeglio Ciampi and his wife Donna Franca at the olympic village in Turin. (Olycom)

ngq7w2.jpg

are we suppose to post pics of royals at the winter olympic in this thread, or in each royal's thread? :confused:

anyway, here's 1 of Prince Albert of Monaco & Princess Anne of Britain at 118th IOC's plenary session in Torino, Italy
(from goff photos)

ngsrp4.jpg

for the rest of prince albert, please click here

I've just seen Constantine and Anne-Marie at the Opening Ceremony - I'll keep you posted as we go!

And there's Prince Albert in a red hat and a pretty blonde on his arm.

King Harald's just been shown but not with Queen Sonja.

BeatrixFan said:
King Harald's just been shown but not with Queen Sonja.
Sonja isn't going to be there.

Princess Benedikte of Denmark is reported to be at the opening ceremony, by the Danish commentators. And Crown Prince Frederik is supposed to arrive later to follow the Danish Curling team. I think that's good.

I've noticed that the difference between watching the Danish and the Norwegian television - is the commentators. The Norwegian commentators knew almost every flag-bearer by name, and had sports relevant trivia about every single team marching in. The Danish team commented a little bit about the teams marching in, almost nothing about the sports part of it, but plenty about the stuff around - like Berlusconi's absense, the security around the Danes after recent events, and other strange stuff.

What a pittyful turnout of Norwegian athletes, 14 athletes manages to get to the opening out 70 something, I thought it was supposed to be an honor to be at the opening:mad: And King Harald could have smiled, he looked like a bored santa with that red thing on his head, he usually always looks like he enjoys sports but not today

Larzen said:
What a pittyful turnout of Norwegian athletes, 14 athletes manages to get to the opening out 70 something, I thought it was supposed to be an honor to be at the opening:mad: And King Harald could have smiled, he looked like a bored santa with that red thing on his head, he usually always looks like he enjoys sports but not today
It's pityful, indeed. It should be an honour to attend.

Has anyone figured out who the blond is?

Her name seems to be Charlene Wittstock, a swimmer for South Africa.
That is what Bruno press calls her in the pictures...

(info from the topic HSH, Prince Albert - Current Events, Part XVII ).

Lot of athlets are beginning competitions tomorrow. They must prepare, instead coming to the ceremony.

It was a wonderful opening ceremony, and the lighting of the Olympic flame was spectacular!

Larzen said:
King Harald could have smiled, he looked like a bored santa with that red thing on his head, he usually always looks like he enjoys sports but not today
Oh yes, he looked very sour. Even my mother (who isn't the royalist I am) pointed out how he looked and said something like "if that's the mood he's in today, maybe he should've stayed at home"... :D

The King and Queen of Sweden will attend the Olympics in Turin from 17 February.

Is the pretty blond sitting next to albert a fling or an olympic committe member or something. I also liked the ceremony and the lighting part was really nice as well as the tenor that came after. I love the Olympics, I always get exited when they come aroud. I also noticed the security around the Danish team. Shame really, this should be a nonpolitical and peacefull time.

i cant wait see more Royals but im glad see Princess Anne and Prince Albert talk each

Prince Albert carries the olympic torch, 10 of february

from abaca

Attachments

• 11.jpg
    11.jpg
    118.7 KB · Views: 330
  • 12.jpg
    12.jpg
    158.8 KB · Views: 252
  • 13.jpg
    13.jpg
    164.7 KB · Views: 353
  • 14.jpg
    14.jpg
    137.4 KB · Views: 397
  • 15.jpg
    15.jpg
    153.1 KB · Views: 316
  • 16.jpg
    16.jpg
    173.2 KB · Views: 292
  • 17.jpg
    17.jpg
    152.5 KB · Views: 396
Last edited:
BeatrixFan said:
And there's Prince Albert in a red hat and a pretty blonde on his arm.

The dutch commentator jokingly promised a reward from the person who could identify the beauty who was seated next to Albert :)
I saw the Prince and Princess of Piedmont, Marina in brown furs I believe. Willem-Alexander and Maxima were also there, apparenly Maxima danced on the YMCA (I missed that part).

The show was very nice, and it is always a joy to see Sophia Loren of course :)

King Harald of Norway in the opening ceremony

from aftenposten

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    14.7 KB · Views: 406
Could have done without Pavarotti to be honest...

Well, he added the theatrical element, so we really know it is Italy ;) I liked the white handkerchief, such a drama queen!

Very dramatic. And he seems to be getting bigger by the day.

1.-Crown prince Willem Alexander and Princess Maxima attend the opening ceremonies of the 2006 Winter Olympics 10 February, 2006 in Turin, Italy
2.-Prince Albert
from getty

Attachments

• 56820152.jpg
    56820152.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 273
  • 56819998.jpg
    56819998.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 227
  • 56817932.jpg
    56817932.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 241
  • 56819095.jpg
    56819095.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 321
  • 56817276.jpg
    56817276.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 224
Last edited:
bigheadshirmp said:
will any Spanish royals going to be there anyone know?

In the agenda of the Spanish Royals for the next week does not appear The Olympic Games:(. Infanta Pilar, sister of the King was there as member of the Olympic Comitee

I only managed to catch parts of the opening ceremony.
Here are a few screen caps of King Harald and Prince Albert:

Was disapointed in the US telecast of the opening. If I had not visited this forum before it came on would never have known there were ANY royals at the opening ceremony.

Keep passing along the great posts and pics.
Thanks!

Grand Duke Henri & Grand Duchess Marie Theresa
Getty Images

Back
Top Bottom