The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > General Royal Discussion > Royal Life and Lifestyle

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 12-29-2004, 02:42 PM
Aristocracy

Will royals visit Asia because of the catrosphe?

It's verry sad what happend in South-East Azia . Will some Royal visited it ?

Was someone of the members there when it happend ?

Old 12-29-2004, 03:11 PM
Heir Apparent

I doubt anyone will visit it right now. There's just too much chaos there, adding a royal visit to it would be over the top.

Old 12-29-2004, 04:12 PM
Serene Highness

I agree with you. They would just be taking resources away from those who need it.
Old 12-29-2004, 04:44 PM
Serene Highness

the news said 80,000 poeple feared dead/its so very sad for such a thing to happen
Old 12-29-2004, 04:52 PM
Nobility

Thailand's king Bhumibol lost a grandchild to the tsunami. His 21 year old grandson Poom Jensen (thai-american) was out jetskiing when the wave came. I saw this article in the Danish tabloid B.T. online.

Thailands kong Bhumibol Adulyadej mistede sit barnebarn Poom Jensen, da flodbølgen ramte Phuket mandag. Den 21-årige sportsglade thai-amerikaner var ude at stå på jetski, da katastrofen ramte.

Poom Jensen var på ferie i Phuket med sin mor, prinsesse Ubolratana, da han blev fanget af flodbølgen og dræbt, oplyser landets premierminister.
Mandag ledsagede prinsessen, som i 1972 blev gift med den amerikanske forretningsmand Peter Jensen og senere skilt, liget af sin søn tilbage til hovedstaden Bangkok i et privatfly.

De to har i flere år boet i hovedstaden, hvor Poom Jensen studerede.
Old 12-29-2004, 06:02 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by norwegianne
I doubt anyone will visit it right now. There's just too much chaos there, adding a royal visit to it would be over the top.
I agree, too.

I think it would be much more effective if monetary donations or supplies were made in lieu of royal visits in this matter.
Old 12-29-2004, 07:49 PM
Serene Highness

I think that the only royal who may travel to the region will be the Princess Royal in her role as President of the Save the Children Fund.
Old 12-29-2004, 08:06 PM
Commoner

I don't know whether they will actually visit in person,but they are offering their condolences.It would be great though,if they did.
Old 12-29-2004, 08:51 PM
Majesty

Location: East of the sun and west of the moon, United States
I wouldn´t mind seeing some royals helping out. Maybe some of the younger ones using some of that youthful enthusiasm for good usage. In fact, anybody who wants to help or who can help will be appreciated. Volunteers are needed. But yes, I don´t recommend an actual royal visit. That would be taking money and resources away from those who need it.
Old 12-29-2004, 08:54 PM
Nobility

Since financial donations are most needed at the moment - in order to acquire continuous and prompt shipments of human, technical aid and aid in food, drinking water and medications to affected region, most certainly, many royal houses are in a position to contribute in this segment considerably. That is far more needed and would be welcomed much more than personal visits at the moment, I agree. Once the most urgent consequences of this tragedy are under control and primary needs of affected people in the region are met, there will be time for various activities pointed towards other issues involved and surely, royal as well as various organizations' activity will bring form of relief and send a message in respect. In a tragedy of such a proportions, it is basic human obligation to assist in any way possible. And I belive that that applies to each one of us - according to personal ability, of course
Old 12-29-2004, 09:01 PM
Majesty

Yes, I know. Monetarily is the best way they can help. But I just meant physically. Noblesse oblige of course comes into play and we expect the RFs to help out there where others have less to give. And for the governments as well. But I just meant individually helping out. Anyway, there has been a great
response from the peoples of the world to this tragedy. So many stories of people helping out and asking what they can do. It´s brought the planet a little bit closer. Well, I don´t want to exaggerate. But the outpouring has been good and warms the heart in light of this tragedy.
Old 12-29-2004, 09:05 PM
Majesty

I´m sure most people who have been following this tragedy have heard the story of young Hannes Bergström of Sweden. I found this nice photo of him with his uncle and grandmother.
Attached Images

Old 12-29-2004, 09:28 PM
Nobility

I have followed the tragedy, but have not heard the story. I heard in the news that more than 80,000 people are feared dead, some 30,000 are still missing, and these numbers a not the final ones!! People fear not to even be able to give a final number one day. It's just so horrible, what happened!!

As for royals, I don't think they will be visiting Asia for quite some time, because, as others said, it would create more chaos.

http://royalnews.w4.clicdev.com/f/index.php
Old 12-30-2004, 06:28 AM
Majesty

AP

Wildlife officials in Sri Lanka expressed surprise yesterday that they found no evidence of large-scale animal deaths from Sunday's tsunami, indicating that animals may have sensed the waves coming and fled to higher ground.

An Associated Press photographer who flew over Sri Lanka's Yala National Park in an air force helicopter saw abundant wildlife - including elephants, buffalo and deer - and not a single animal corpse.

Floodwaters from the tsunami swept into the park, uprooting trees and toppling cars onto their roofs. But the animals apparently were not harmed and may have sought out high ground, said Gehan de Silva Wijeyeratne, whose Jetwing Eco Holidays ran a hotel in the park.

"This is very interesting. I am finding bodies of humans, but I have yet to see a dead animal," said Wijeyeratne, whose hotel in the park was destroyed.

"Maybe what we think is true, that animals have a sixth sense," Wijeyeratne said.

Yala, Sri Lanka's largest wildlife reserve, is home to 200 Asian elephants, crocodiles, wild boars, water buffalo and gray langur monkeys. The park also has Asia's highest concentration of leopards. The Yala reserve covers 391 square miles, but only 56 square miles are open to tourists.
Old 12-30-2004, 06:58 AM
Majesty

Precious photo. A mother holding her 20 day old daughter in Malaysia. The baby had floated on a mattress after the giant waves had hit her parents´ restaurant. Luckily, her mother was able to get back into the restaurant and save her.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	baby.jpeg
Views:	218
Size:	22.1 KB
ID:	72985  
Old 12-30-2004, 01:24 PM
Heir Apparent

I don't think it's advisable to go to the struck region at this time; there is too much chaos as it is already. Having a royal/s arrive would bring more problems than help. The royals should stay in their own countries at this time, trying to lead the nation in their mourning.
Old 12-30-2004, 01:28 PM
Aristocracy

I just read in the danish tabloid BT that members of the danish royal family will participate in an event in honour of the victims on january second. Queen Margrethe, Prince Henrik, Crownprince Frederik and Crownprincess Mary will attend.

The event will take place in Copenhagen in Vor Frue Kirke - the church where Frederik and Mary was married.
Old 12-30-2004, 06:02 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennism
AP

Wildlife officials in Sri Lanka expressed surprise yesterday that they found no evidence of large-scale animal deaths from Sunday's tsunami, indicating that animals may have sensed the waves coming and fled to higher ground.

An Associated Press photographer who flew over Sri Lanka's Yala National Park in an air force helicopter saw abundant wildlife - including elephants, buffalo and deer - and not a single animal corpse.

Floodwaters from the tsunami swept into the park, uprooting trees and toppling cars onto their roofs. But the animals apparently were not harmed and may have sought out high ground, said Gehan de Silva Wijeyeratne, whose Jetwing Eco Holidays ran a hotel in the park.

"This is very interesting. I am finding bodies of humans, but I have yet to see a dead animal," said Wijeyeratne, whose hotel in the park was destroyed.

"Maybe what we think is true, that animals have a sixth sense," Wijeyeratne said.

Yala, Sri Lanka's largest wildlife reserve, is home to 200 Asian elephants, crocodiles, wild boars, water buffalo and gray langur monkeys. The park also has Asia's highest concentration of leopards. The Yala reserve covers 391 square miles, but only 56 square miles are open to tourists.
Thanks for the article Dennis. I'm happy for them.
Old 12-30-2004, 06:12 PM
Heir Apparent

King Harald and Queen Sonja participated in a special Church/prayer service a few days ago. They then encouraged the Norwegians to help out by supporting the aid organizations.

The past days the towns in Norway have been full of people carrying around "cups" for collecting money for aid organizations after the disaster. It brings people together. Many businesses and media are donating money, as well.
Old 12-30-2004, 08:43 PM
Heir Apparent

In this time of national mourning in Sweden, our King and Queen have shown exemplary sympathy and support and have lead the national mourning in a very good and appreciated way. This is the biggest catastrophe in modern history for Sweden, and having been a nation of peace for almost 200 years, it says a lot I think. When some time has passed, I think there will be a national memorial site somewhere, like for Estonia (ship disaster) – and when the number of deaths has been established and such I suppose there will also be a national memorial service in church for the official Sweden, also like for Estonia.

Here is what the King and Queen have done so far, and what they will do:

*On 28 December, King Carl XVI Gustaf issued a statement concerning the catastrophe
*On 29 December, King Carl XVI Gustaf spoke to the nation and then met with media
*Today, 30 December, King Carl XVI Gustaf and Queen Silvia attended an intercession in the Cathedral of Stockholm
*Today, 30 December, King Carl XVI Gustaf and Queen Silvia visited the crisis- and family centre at Arlanda Airport
*On Satuday 1 January King Carl XVI Gustaf and Queen Silvia will attend a live broadcasted fundraising evening on state television

You can find my translations as well as pictures and thoughts here...