The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > General Royal Discussion > Royal Life and Lifestyle

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 12-31-2004, 04:08 AM
Heir Presumptive

And a royal helped out:

Swedish boy found alone after tsunami reunited with dad

Wednesday, December 29, 2004 Posted: 2031 GMT (0431 HKT)

var clickExpire = "01/28/2005";
Hannes Bergstroem is reunited with his emotional father, Mark, Wednesday in Thailand.

PHUKET, Thailand (AP) -- A Swedish toddler was reunited with his father Wednesday, days after being found alone in the aftermath of the deadly tsunamis that swept Asia.

With the reported help of a Thai princess, Hannes Bergstroem was taken by helicopter to hospital for treatment and his photo posted on the Internet earlier this week.

The 18-month-old's uncle spotted the photo and claimed him Tuesday, setting up Wednesday's reunion with Hannes' father, Marko Karkkainen, at a hospital on the southern Thai island of Phuket where both father and son were receiving treatment.

Hannes, his face scratched and pocked with mosquito bites, looked bemused as his father choked up with emotion.

Karkkainen said he had been told of the reports his son was rescued by a Thai princess and said: "I have been to Thailand seven times, and this time only confirmed what I know about Thai people -- that they are so generous and caring."

Despite the joy of seeing one another again, the day remained tinged with sadness and anxiety -- Hannes' mother Suzanne Bergstroem is still among some 5,000 people missing in Thailand since the giant earthquake-spawned waves hit on Sunday. Almost 2,000 people are confirmed dead in Thailand, and nearly 77,000 across almost a dozen countries hit.

Asked about the unidentified princess who reportedly rescued his son, Karkkainen replied: "she has saved his life, but also my soul because I couldn't survive if I lost them both."

Old 12-31-2004, 04:33 AM
Courtier

Unhappy

According TVF1 news the death toll has reached 125 000 peoples (as they said more than one third are children) with many thousand still missing. In some area tens of thousands survivors still strugle waiting an aid & assisstance but rescuer can not reach them easily because of many infrastructures have been broken:(.
It will be very helpfull if the royal (specially the one who already has position in humanitarian post such as UNICEF or red cross) do something or do more to help the victims i.e by raising charities events to get more donation.That will be great eventhough they could not visit the area by themselves.

Old 01-03-2005, 12:17 AM
Majesty

Location: East of the sun and west of the moon, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by galuhcandrakirana
It will be very helpfull if the royal (specially the one who already has position in humanitarian post such as UNICEF or red cross) do something or do more to help the victims i.e by raising charities events to get more donation.That will be great eventhough they could not visit the area by themselves.
I would imagine that Princess Alexandra would make a visit at some point. Mathilde and Maxima perhaps as well at some point. Anyway, here are the latest figures of dead and missing:

The tally of foreigners confirmed dead from the quake and tsunamis throughout southern Asia, according to their countries' foreign ministries. Figures also include the most recent available numbers of missing based on the estimates by some government officials and agencies

_ Indonesia: 94,081

_ India: The government said 9,067 deaths have been confirmed but nearly 4,000 more were missing in India's remote Andaman and Nicobar Islands, just north of Sumatra.

_ Thailand: 4,993 people died, including 2,230 foreigners.

_ Somalia: 200 killed.

_ Myanmar: 90 people killed.

_ Maldives: 80 people dead

_ Malaysia: 68 people dead.

_ Tanzania: 10 people killed

_ Bangladesh: Two killed.

_ Kenya: One killed.

_ Germany: 60 dead. More than 1,000 missing.

_ Sweden: 52 dead. 2,915 missing.

_ Britain: 40 dead.

_ France: 22 dead. Hundreds missing.

_ Norway: 21 dead. More than 400 missing.

_ Japan: 21 dead.

_ Italy: 18 dead. 570 missing.

_ Switzerland: 16 dead. 500 missing.

_ United States: 15 dead.

_ Australia: 12 dead. At least 107 missing.

_ Singapore: 9 dead.

_ Denmark: 7 dead. 247 missing.

_ Austria: 6 dead. 490 missing.

_ Belgium: 6 dead. 62 missing.

_ Canada: 5 dead. Up to 150 missing.

_ Philippines: 5 dead.

_ Netherlands: 5 dead. Hundreds missing.

_ South Africa: 5 dead. 12 missing.

_ Finland: 5 dead. 186 missing.

_ South Korea 4 dead.

_ Israel: 4 dead. 3 others feared dead.

_ China: 3 dead. 15 missing.

_ Brazil: 2 dead.

_ New Zealand: 2 dead. 24 missing.

_ Taiwan: 2 dead.

_ Russia: 2 dead. 80 missing.

_ Poland: 1 dead. 39 missing.

_ Colombia: 1 dead.

_ Czech Republic: 1 dead. 40 missing.

_ Turkey: 1 dead. 44 missing.

_ Mexico: 1 dead.

_ Ireland: About 25 missing.

_ Chile: One missing.
Old 01-03-2005, 06:11 AM
Nobility

These numbers make me want to cry, they are so horrible.

http://royalnews.w4.clicdev.com/f/index.php
Old 01-03-2005, 07:10 AM
Nobility

Spain also 7 missing.
All this is so sad, it's horrible :-(
Old 01-03-2005, 06:54 PM
Majesty

Yes, Spain too. I knew I had forgotten a country. We must not forget them as well.
Old 01-03-2005, 07:47 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amilia
It's verry sad what happend in South-East Azia . Will some Royal visited it ?

Was someone of the members there when it happend ?
Yes, I am sure the country's Royals ... if that is tradition or otherwise will visit.

However, the other implication I read is ..... how would the Danes feel if the King of Thailand immediately visited the scene of devastation in Kolding where that fireworks factory blew up?

I think as some put it, Princess Anne as "head" of the Save the World Children Fund, could ... and probably will .... but only after a measured length of time. That probably applies to the other Royal Ladies: Queen Silvia, Princess Crown Mathilde.
Old 01-04-2005, 07:19 AM
Heir Apparent

I think that The Thai Royals will have some vists.The Thai King's grandson also was killed by the earthquake.
Another Royals i think maybe Princess Anne of Great Britain,Queen Silvia.I hope also on this occasion Prince Felipe and Princess Letizia will visit Asia,they had not visited there.
God save Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II
Old 01-04-2005, 08:14 AM
Courtier

Queen Beatrix donated money to the special bank account the Dutch government have set up to collect money for the Asia-tragedy.

There is 26 million euros donated so far by the Dutch people. Next Thursday a big TV-action on three TV-stations will air also to collect money.
Old 01-04-2005, 12:10 PM
Majesty

it seems like the swedish king will visit thiland in the near future to talk the king of thiland and the people of Thiland for all the help they have given the swedes
Old 01-04-2005, 12:53 PM
Heir Apparent

My translation of a press release from the Swedish Royal Court this afternoon (also posted in the thread about the catastrophe in the Swedish forum):

The King intends to visit Thailand

H.M. The King intends to visit Thailand and personally convey his thanks for King Bhumibol and thereby thank the whole Thai nation for their sacrificing way in which Swedish citizens have been helped in Thailand.

When such a visit is suitable to take place will be decided in consultation with the Prime Minister and contacts with the Thai Royal Family and the Thai Government.

Statement by H.M. The King:
- From many directions, there have been witnessed of the incredible helpfulness that the Thai authorities, organisations, companies and individual have shown Swedish citizens. During talks with Swedes, I have become strongly touched by their stories and therefore I want to personally, on behalf of all Swedes, show our great appreciation. The forms for how this should take place will be decided in consultation with the Swedish Government.
Old 01-04-2005, 02:23 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by HMQueenElizabethII
I think that The Thai Royals will have some vists.The Thai King's grandson also was killed by the earthquake.
Another Royals i think maybe Princess Anne of Great Britain,Queen Silvia.I hope also on this occasion Prince Felipe and Princess Letizia will visit Asia,they had not visited there.
Alexandra works with Unicef so I think she will go and the others who work with Unicef will probably go.
Old 01-04-2005, 02:50 PM
Royal Highness

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandDuchess
H.M. The King [of Sweden] intends to visit Thailand ... [to] be decided in consultation with the Swedish Government.
Sounds like the King took some initiative here. Bravo !!!
Old 01-04-2005, 04:27 PM
Majesty

The Swedish media is reported that nearly 4 in 10 Swedes polled knew someone who was affected by this tragedy. Bravo to the King of Sweden indeed for announcing his intention to visit Thailand.
Old 01-05-2005, 11:01 PM
Royal Highness

It's heartening to read how nations are going about in a meaningful way to "assist" the devastated nations in their time of need.

I've read that the USA first offered
$35 million of aid, which then got bumped up to
$350 million, and is now at
$459 million plus their military helicopters flying in supplies to hard to reach villages at the northwestern end of Sumatra Island.

Canada offered
~$20 million at first and then doubled this to
$40 million plus is sending their DART time to the eastern side of Sri Lanka (which to date apparently has not received any assistance) to setup a cleanwater making facility. On top of this the BC Provinicial Government has given $8 million to the Red Cross? and the Ontario and Alberta Provincial Governments have each given $5 million.

Australia offered some initial amount which I probably err in reporting as
$35 million, and has bumped this up to
$1 billion.

Germany revised their initial amount to $829 million, and is also sending their medical troops forth (i believe to Sumatra).

Perhaps a listing could be provided of the amounts given/budgeted by the various international governments, NGO's and respective private citizens, as well as military services to be provided?????

(On the down side, some fears have already been expressed that this diversion of aid to SouthEast Asia will be to the detriment of Africa.)
Old 01-06-2005, 01:10 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrhcp
It's heartening to read how nations are going about in a meaningful way to "assist" the devastated nations in their time of need.
Update, to name a few:

Scandinavia
==================
Sweden
- $ 80 million

Norway
- Federal Govt : NOK 1.1 billion (this i think is 1,100,000 million). How many NOK to the Euro or US $ ?
- public donations : NOK 200 million
- may send fishing boats to replace those destroyed. Now that is original thinking.

Denmark
- $15 million

America's
====================
USA
- Federal Govt : $459 million plus military involement of aircraft carrier & helicopters flying in supplies to hard to reach villages in Indonesia.

Canada
- Federal Gov't : > $80 million plus DART team to make cleanwater for east Sri Lanka.
- Prov. Gov'ts : ~$18 million
- public donations : $70 million.

Europe
================
Germany
- Federal Govt : Euro 500 million, and military high-tech mobile field hospital in Indonesia.

France
- $ 15 million

Netherlands

- $ 15 million

UK
- ~ $100 million

Asia
===================
Australia
- $ 1 billion (ie: $1,000 million)

Umbrella Org's
====================
European Union
- $ 15 million

World Bank

- $ 250 million

http://www.cbc.ca/news/
http://www.dw-world.de/dw/0,1595,266,00.html
http://www.aftenposten.no/english/lo...icle939226.ece

Old 01-06-2005, 01:17 AM
Majesty

Thanks for keeping us informed. Yes, smart move by the Norwegians. They know how to make those boats. Those Vikings. :) Sweden´s number originally was 75 million dollars. I´m not sure how much they have raised privately but it´s quite a lot as well.
Old 01-06-2005, 02:12 AM
Heir Presumptive

I think it's a very good idea of Norway to send boats. The fishing industry is a major source of income (and of jobs) for people in that region (I forgot the exact figure), and it's sad to think that it has all gone now. Let's hope that this will help them try and rebuild the shattered industry.

Old 01-06-2005, 02:18 AM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Month Representative - Brunei, Malaysia & Dubai

Quote:
Update, to name a few:

to hard to reach villages in Indonesia.

Canada
- Federal Gov't : > $80 million plus DART team to make cleanwater for east Sri Lanka.
- Prov. Gov'ts : ~$18 million
- public donations : $70 million.

a little update:
Canada is also the only country so far to have pledged debt-relief for the affected countries.
Many Canadian musicians are also planning to take part in a telethon next week (including the Barenaked Ladies, Tom Cochrane, Celine Dion)
Old 01-06-2005, 08:43 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Update, to name a few:
France
- $ 15 million
at this time reach (not sure in USD or euro?)67 million total