Why Are Some Royals More Popular Than Others?

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Some royals (past and present) like Princess Diana and Kate are individuals that the average person will feel comfortable talking to and being around. Others like Queen Elizabeth who are popular are more traditional and if you met them, it would be more formal.

Like any group you have royals that are very popular, are very people-oriented and pleasant. Sometimes this is just their nature or how they are. Other royals are so formal that it makes one uncomfortable or aren't well liked or popular due to their personality or things that they have done. Even a popular royal who did something bad or terrible would become unpopular.

Personally, I like the honor the military gives them. We have that here in America also. Like right now there is a position with the Air Force that just popped up for honorary commander. They do a lot of community interaction and some military interaction kind of for the community also. Here it is a little different, because America's history is different. Anyone could be nominated here for it. I really adore the community and military, for example, but I cannot fly a plane in the event of an emergency and honararies do get in some of the planes, couldn't work on a plane, couldn't physically break up a fight between service peoples in the event one happened to diffuse the situation, which I highly doubt we'd have to, couldn't fuel it on personal funds in an emergency, couldn't understand an air traffic controller and we only speak English, so taking a position like that I feel would leave the community maybe even the country weak and would humbly and oh so politely have to refuse getting in a plane. My husband and I, we might actually get votes or nominations, but we are just regular everyday people who care about the community. The royals have charities, military history and millions of people who support them. While my husband and I could be trusted with positions, and there are two open, I realize how impacting a position like that is on everyone and what a huge responsibility it is too. So from an everyday person perspective I think the royal ones with honorary military positions are the most liked, because it is a way everyday folks can relate a little to them that actually is real down to earth. It gives people confidence. Here the qualifications for the position are not unobtainable for the average norm or disabled. The royals who don't have the military positions are more royal history based, and there is a huge amount of history you'd about have to be a historian to learn, so an every day person view and relation is preferred.

Last edited:
The main reason some Royals are more popular than others is solely due to the way the media covers them, in the case of the BRF to the point of saturation here in the U.S. They reduce them to the level of pop culture figures by discussing every detail of their private lives in People, Star, the Enquirer and Globe magazines. Their titles , ceremonial, and historic residences give them a little something extra. Naturally seeing William, Kate and Harry on the cover of countless tabloid covers in the supermarket checkout line will give some people the illusion that they are more "relatable" and that we know them, because we see them more often than the members of the other RF's who are not covered more often. Here in the US the BRF gets the coverage for many reasons, mostly because of the bonds of language and culture.

The fact is we have no idea if they are truly nice, down to earth, and relatable at all.

They are not my personal favorite of the RF's...I much prefer the Continental RF's. But because I speak English as my primary language it is easier to access and find information about the Windsors than the others.

Last edited:
Look at how the press and public reacted to the Prince and Princess of Wales. Press coverage focused on the Princess. Charles was not getting the media attention.

In this area of the United States, some people speak of Queen Elizabeth II, Prince Charles, and the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge if they have seen any news coverage or journalism articles about the English Royals.
Some do not know that Liechtenstein is a principality. Is this due to the fact that how much coverage does Liechtenstein get?​

Absolutely. It also has to do with our lack of interest in the rest of the world. I teach mostly adults over 25 years old at a large US University and used to ask a class to break into groups and label countries on blank maps of Central and South America and Africa. It was topical and was an active 15 minutes that would wake them up during the long 3 hours. On the Africa map, people were lucky to be able to name South Africa and Egypt. :ohmy: The lack of US knowledge about other countries of the world is astonishing. I would guess a largish percentage of US citizens do not even know there is a country called Liechtenstein. I am sure neither of my brothers do. They can tell you who played in the Superbowl 6 years ago. But I doubt they could point to Poland on a map (and we are Polish American) :ermm::sad:
Their eyes glaze over when I mention any of my favorite royal stuff. ;)

I think for me, the real eye opener at how bad my world geography has been/is usually hits home while watching the parade of athletes during the opening ceremonies of Olympic Games. There will always be a few that leave me scratching my head and wondering just where the heck that country is.

Of course since I've been in school, we no longer ride our dinosaurs and many of the countries have changed names and governments that just never registered with me. :lol:

I think that the BRF is the best known Royal family in the world due to a number of factors, cultural and historical. The British Empire was huge and included a number of realms settled by the British. They kept a common language of course and the Queen as head of state.

There was always an interest in the BRF in the US, I think, due to a shared language and, up to a point, a shared history! This interest, which ebbed and flowed over the years was greatly magnified IMO by the spectacular rise of Diana. Magazines and newspaper articles sang Diana's praises. To a great extent this fascination was therefore media-driven but real, nevertheless.

This brought the BRF into greater prominence I think, than would have happened otherwise and American magazines also fed curiosity in other parts of the world not naturally BRF constituencies.

Who are other royal families known in the US? I would guess the Spanish and the Monaco royals, though interest in the latter may have waned since Grace's death and Caroline's and Stephanie's more mature years.

There's a difficulty in getting news of the European and Scandinavian monarchies and principalities known in the US (and other English speaking parts of the world), I believe, and it's not simple geographical ignorance but a question of the media not bothering to translate reports of their doings into English, with the exception of the Spanish King and queen for obvious reasons.

Last edited:
Queen Maxima and Crown Princess Mary are both more "popular" than their more important husbands, but both Willem-Alexander and Frederik are smart enough to know their own worth and are enormously proud of their wives.

Both seem to perceive the popular response to their wives as a metaphoric pat on the back for their smarts at marrying such wonderful women.

http://www3.pictures.zimbio.com/bg/Princess+Maxima+Maxima+40th+birthday+4clorx_ZFJJl.jpg

https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/...mFey7wLfzP3TNeP13qwErrPHGkAHJ0AcvPMtSfmdyM5Nw

Both of those photos say MINE in totally different ways.

However, more importantly, their marriages to these women raised the international profile of both the Netherlands and the Danish Royal Families. This interest, astutely exploited by their government's diplomats and government officials, has led to greater trade ties with South America and Australasia just for starters.

These are new diplomatic and trade ties that owe their roots in marriage to attractive, smart and charismatic non-royal women who, with the encouragement and support of their husbands, have managed to become more than just royal show ponies.

Some royals are more liked than others and for a variety of reasons. Some royals are more popular because they are outgoing and seem to have the common touch. Others are popular because they are traditional or represent tradition. Some royals are personable. Others are not. The ones who are personable tend to be more popular than the ones who aren't.

Who would you express to be the most beautiful Royal Families?
https//www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQaAGa67JIg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom