Which Royals Smoke?

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If the parents smoke, usually the children follow suit. If the parents doesn't smoke, usually their children don't smoke.

Many people who quit smoking gain some weight and this is one reason why some people don't quit smoking. If someone gains some weight when they quit smoking, they are ways to take care of this (diet, exercise, having a personal trainer) before it becomes a problem.

The damage from continued smoking reaches a point where it can't be fixed or it's very costly to the person's health down the road.

I live in France and I can say that, eh... how to say, there is still a coolness in lighting a Gauloise at a neighborhood café, sipping espresso, and reading Guillaume Musso or Amélie Nothomb... The French ladies also keep thinking that smoking keeps their belle figure. The monegasque ladies are not different in that.

:flowers:
They should look at Caroline's and Stephanie's leathery faces. That's what smoking and tanning will do to you. It might keep your body thinner (mostly too thin) but will damage the skin like nothing else.

He looks like he's about 12 years old in that picture!

The caption says "HRH The Prince of Orange enjoys a cigarette at the International Concours Hippique in Rotterdam, August 16th 1985". The Prince was 18 years old then.

They should look at Caroline's and Stephanie's leathery faces. That's what smoking and tanning will do to you. It might keep your body thinner (mostly too thin) but will damage the skin like nothing else.

True but in both cases it was more the ever omnipresent sun at the Rivièra than the smoking I guess. Back then in the 1970's and 1980's being bronze was very en vogue.

I live in France and I can say that, eh... how to say, there is still a coolness in lighting a Gauloise at a neighborhood café, sipping espresso, and reading Guillaume Musso or Amélie Nothomb... The French ladies also keep thinking that smoking keeps their belle figure. The monegasque ladies are not different in that.

Oh to live in France, sit at a cafe and people watch, drinking good coffee and wine and having a little smoke - I have done it on my holidays and it brings back happy memories!
Today, I went to my local town and had to slum it at Costa, drinking bad coffee, surrounded by people guiltily smoking next to me whilst their kids and dogs run riot about my feet. How the word has changed about me!

I'm pretty sure Stephanie and Caroline look so horrible because they are in the sun too much, if anything warned against tanning it would be those 2. I know of people who have smoked for decades and they still look fine, and I know of people who have smoked for decades and look really bad. Queen Margrethe's teeth is a warning against smoking.

Just a random thought.
How does someone who was so sheltered, like Princess Margaret, get started smoking? I can't imagine the nannie or housemaids sneaking her cigs. Especially with the rationing. (Were cigs rationed). Did she do it like my parents did, swiping them from Daddy? I mean she and QEII were virtually prisoners at Windsor for their late childhood years.
(My parents both began smoking as very young people (preteens), but they both quit before I was 5 in the 60's).

Also the cancer has a way of being a hell of a weight reducer.

Also the cancer has a way of being a hell of a weight reducer.

Very true, but I recently saw a photo of several actresses smoking, ad the caption read that they prefer cancer to calories!

(Hard to imagine anyone could be that stupid; it's such a horrible way to die! But a relative of mine complained that his daughter, after witnessing another relative dying in agony from lung cancer, later stepped outside to light a cigarette! He questioned how she could possibly do that after what she'd witnessed, but no one thinks that sad fate will ever happen to them!)

I have heard that both WA and Max are/were smokers - hopefully they've quit.

King Willem-Alexander and Queen Máxima certainly have been smokers. I think the Queen quit smoking before she started to date the (then) Prince of Orange. The King has not been smoking for a long time except a cigar so now and than (it is or was the use that gentlemen withdrew from a (formal) diner to be 'entre nous' enjoying a cigar). Sometimes the cigars are offered during the café/thé & friandises as closure of a diner.

Picture: HRH Prince Claus of the Netherlands enjoys a cigar at the end of a State Banquet in London: http://cache2.asset-cache.net/gc/52...OUOUT4/NnrGnk7nEMc4GD3qKWuqYqg04KUv1bdHxmww==

Last edited:
Just a random thought.
How does someone who was so sheltered, like Princess Margaret, get started smoking? I can't imagine the nannie or housemaids sneaking her cigs. Especially with the rationing. (Were cigs rationed). Did she do it like my parents did, swiping them from Daddy? I mean she and QEII were virtually prisoners at Windsor for their late childhood years.
(My parents both began smoking as very young people (preteens), but they both quit before I was 5 in the 60's).

She probably stole her father's. It is said the Queen Mother was also a closet smoker (but not a heavy one)

There were also a ton of soldiers around them and soldiers would have cigarettes. At the time, cigarettes weren't considered bad. Most of the population were probably smokers.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

Addtionally, i earlier times smoking was just a "mature" thing to do, nothing sneaky about it. My dad got his first cigaret from the priest when he was an altar boy.

The past is a foreign country, they do things different there...

Very true, but I recently saw a photo of several actresses smoking, ad the caption read that they prefer cancer to calories!

(Hard to imagine anyone could be that stupid; it's such a horrible way to die! But a relative of mine complained that his daughter, after witnessing another relative dying in agony from lung cancer, later stepped outside to light a cigarette! He questioned how she could possibly do that after what she'd witnessed, but no one thinks that sad fate will ever happen to them!)

I have a friend of about 29, who has never smoked, presently fighting for her life against Lymphoma (missed 18 months ago so it has been running unchecked). there is nothing more awful to inflct on your worst enemy. 3 rounds back to back of high dose chemotheray. The nicest person you will ever mete. Life is unfair in that the wicked flourish, dispite horrible behavior, and the just die horribly.

Last edited:
I have a friend of about 29, who has never smoked, presently fighting for her life against Lymphoma (missed 18 months ago so it has been running unchecked). there is nothing more awful to inflct on your worst enemy. 3 rounds back to back of high dose chemotheray. The nicest person you will ever mete. Life is unfair in that the wicked flourish, dispite horrible behavior, and the just die horribly.

Scooter. lymphoma is terrible but not equated to smoking. There are many cancers that occur in just anyone.

She has no title but the younger daughter of Princess Stephanie of Monaco smokes as well along with her older sister Pauline... Camille is only 16 :ermm:

Although also untitled and not a royal, I wonder if Marius Borg smokes.

I think most of the young members of the BRF, heck most young Royals period, are smokers.:sad:

I thought Harry no longer smoked, because for a long time was not photographed smoking.

William and Kate smoke?

Last edited:
Allegedly there were photographs from that now infamous trip to France picturing the DOC smoking.

If photos existed of Kate smoking they would be available on the Internet somewhere and printed in the papers. The topless photos have seen the light of day so there would be no reason for the press not to print a photo of Kate smoking.

With the rules against smoking inside many public places, it would be easy to snap a photo of a royal stepping outside to light one up like Harry just did.

Everybody knows that Harry is a heavy smoker. He should seek medical help to treat his drug addiction to nicotine.

Maybe he has. I think it's a difficult habit to break; much better never to start.

Some people have good results with those electronic cigarettes; he could try that.

I think most of the young members of the BRF, heck most young Royals period, are smokers.

Most YOUNG Europeans smoke ! More than ever [because of the repressive anti-smoking fanaticism imported from California], it remains a rebellious, and therefore attractive habit.

Most YOUNG Europeans smoke ! More than ever [because of the repressive anti-smoking fanaticism imported from California], it remains a rebellious, and therefore attractive habit.

They won't think it's so attractive when they're coughing their lungs out. :sad:

Yes, I am sure you are right. Young Americans too.

It probably remains attractive until ones' nauseous, bald-headed self is hooked up to the IV tubes shooting chemotherapy poison into your body in an attempt to preserve ones' life:sad:.

Last edited:
"Harry enjoying a crafty cigarette"

Ah the DM. Not only did it write a story about it but asked Kensington Palace for 'comment'

Photos emerge of Prince Harry enjoying a cigarette with friends at a Chelsea pub | Daily Mail Online

Isn't a 'crafty' cigarette- which is then passed back and forth- quite likely to have been cannabis? That was a joint.

"After inhaling, the super-fit prince can be seen handing the cigarette back, only to repeat the process again moments later."

Last edited:
Most people aren't passing a regular cigarettes back and forth between each other.

If photos existed of Kate smoking they would be available on the Internet somewhere and printed in the papers. The topless photos have seen the light of day so there would be no reason for the press not to print a photo of Kate smoking.

With the rules against smoking inside many public places, it would be easy to snap a photo of a royal stepping outside to light one up like Harry just did.

Not sure about that. The ones that were published were more sensational and they along with the other unsold ones were then subject to a Court case were they not, hence there not being published if they did indeed exsist. There were also photographs of a packet of cigarettes inside the then Kate Middleton's handbag taken at one time.

Back
Top Bottom