Which Royals Smoke?

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don't find it absurd that some think she may have been carrying the cigs for someone else. I've held cigarettes for friends and I don't smoke.

I did too, when I was younger; I don't smoke myself but I willingly carried them for other people.

But I wouldn't do that today, since I have become so anti-smoking!
It's lovely that smoking is now banned in bars and restaurants; I never realized how much I hated it until it was stopped!

Social smoking, in today's day and age. The habit is disgusting, unhealthy and invasive. No one in this country, that I know, smokes, socially. It is forbidden in most public places and not extolled as an asset. Camilla's teeth and Queen Margarethe's teeth are ungodly, but you pick your own poison.

I'm with you on this. I grew up around smokers, and find the habit beyond repulsive. My great-grand mother was a chain smoker, and no matter how many people told her that it was hazardous to her health, she still continued. The smell in her apartment was atrocious. Now I understand why I had colds and upper respiratory infections so very frequently as a child. Now, I'm all for freedom of choice, but those to whom people look up to should be careful in terms of what habits and life choices they're promoting with their own actions. I'm not sure if Catherine smokes (I do remember hearing that William did at one point), but I certainly hope that now, for the sake of her child, she dropped the habit like yesterday's trash. No child should be harmed by second-hand smoke, especially from their parents.

Ugh the righteous anti smoking crowd. If you dont smoke fine, but leave those who do alone; it's their habit their body. Smoking inRestaurants and public places should not be allowed, but infringing on someone's car and home is another. As long as these monarchs don't smoke in public I see no reason they should have to stop just because they are royalty.
I heard Europe isn't so anal about smoking and allow people to kill themselves in peace.

Last edited:
I had one aunt who did not smoke, but she lived with another aunt and uncle who smoked. She was the one who died of lung cancer. So consider who else is in the home before saying it is all right to smoke at home. Only if you are a bachelor or live with another smoker is it all right to smoke at home.
I smoked a little at work (nervous there), but I quit when I nearly passed out many years ago.

I am both annoyed and shocked that members of the public would make these inquiries about Royals smoking. It is not anyone's business, PERIOD. What is next, their personal toliet habits?

I was definitely surprised to see that information included on the official site.

Ugh the righteous anti smoking crowd. If you dont smoke fine, but leave those who do alone; it's their habit their body. Smoking inRestaurants and public places should not be allowed, but infringing on someone's car and home is another. As long as these monarchs don't smoke in public I see no reason they should have to stop just because they are royalty.
I heard Europe isn't so anal about smoking and allow people to kill themselves in peace.

I'd go further by saying why shouldn't a monarch or member of a royal family be seen smoking in public? The public are seen smoking...erm...in public and even I have been seen to smoke in public from time to time (with either my mother or sister tut-tutting as ex-smokers ......well mother you were happy to marry a man who smoked in the home all my childhood, so you can tut at yourself for all I care!).
If it is a case of the royals setting an example, then it is a false example if they are known to smoke anyway. You see, I agree that one mustn't smoke in the home (even though one then proceeds to burn candles, fires, use Mr Sheen all over the wood-work, eat processed dangerous foods), but if royals who smoke don't do so outside in public, it is assumed they have to smoke indoors, which is then unfair on staff at home. Maybe we need to see photos of Queen Margrethe sneaking outside the back door at the palace having a crafty fag wafting the smoke away with her hand whenever a guard walks by, to see an example that one should smoke outdoors!
I'm afraid I will take no notice of anti-smokers until they insist also on us giving up other pulluting and dangerous activities, such as driving motor-cars, using chemicals in the home, using fossil fuels and eating processed rubbish.

Smoking in restaurants and other public spaces was actually banned here in Sweden a couple of years ago. The effects (besides the health ones) was that more people actually went to restaurants and pubs...

About royals smoking: I personally think it's a nasty habit that could potentially kill you, but so is lots of other things. I do have a problem with people who smoke near children, but who doesn't. The royals can afford smoking, and also have access to great health care. I think the biggest problem is that they are sending the wrong signals to young people. If the king/queen smokes, why shouldn't I?

Thanks for the picture of HGD Guillaume and Stephanie, they were at the party. I am disappointed that he smokes.
I am in shock that Queen Noor smokes as a former poster stated. Really find it hard to believe considering her adherence to personal fitness.

In Europe smoking seems to be socially accepted. Here in the US, not so much. I don't really of the royals smoke or not, as long as they aren't smoking around me and children.

In the U.S. it is not, socially, acceptable to smoke. Most restaurants, public places, public buildings have a No Smoking Rule. Hotels have smoking floors, some hotels do not allow smoking anywhere. You cannot smoke in an airport, except in small areas. There are great health reasons attached to no smoking here. I guess, you do not have the same access to the reality of smoking.

But why single out smoking as a bad and unhealthy habit, i mean, it is, but so is binge-drinking, speeding in your car, eating-disorders, violent behaviour etc etc

I don't smoke, never did, am happy that there are smoking-free areas, but the emphasis on 'smoking' is way over the top these days...

I'm surprised Guillaume smokes but I already knew his brother Felix does and I think maybe Louis does. Wonder if Alexandra and Sebastien do? I think they both attend university in Amercia so maybe they've been put off if its less acceptable there?
I'd be really dissapointed if Stephanies herslef smokes, I just wouldn't think she would but who knows.

Y'know, its very possible that they could be vaping too rather than smoking. Its hard to tell from a distance. :D

What's interesting to me is that a lot of royals are concerned about their personal appearance or how they look to others. Many of them no doubt have had private trainers or individuals who have helped them keep their body in shape.

People I know for the most part who keep their body in shape don't smoke but of course these are people who live in the US. Europe seems to be different in this respect. It's more difficult to exercise after you have been smoking. If you are a runner or someone who rides a bicycle, then the effect of smoking slows you down or makes it more difficult to do if you take a smoke and then start running or riding a bike.

I never have smoked or took up the habit. Those that have,it's very difficult to quit once you acquire the habit of smoking. Ask anyone who has smoked and who has quit smoking.

All the royals who smoke seem to want to conceal it from view or hide it from others. Sometimes they get caught. If this was a healthy habit, they wouldn't have to do this.

What's interesting to me is that a lot of royals are concerned about their personal appearance or how they look to others. Many of them no doubt have had private trainers or individuals who have helped them keep their body in shape.

People I know for the most part who keep their body in shape don't smoke but of course these are people who live in the US. Europe seems to be different in this respect. It's more difficult to exercise after you have been smoking. If you are a runner or someone who rides a bicycle, then the effect of smoking slows you down or makes it more difficult to do if you take a smoke and then start running or riding a bike.

I never have smoked or took up the habit. Those that have,it's very difficult to quit once you acquire the habit of smoking. Ask anyone who has smoked and who has quit smoking.

All the royals who smoke seem to want to conceal it from view or hide it from others. Sometimes they get caught. If this was a healthy habit, they wouldn't have to do this.

But why single out smoking as a bad and unhealthy habit, i mean, it is, but so is binge-drinking, speeding in your car, eating-disorders, violent behaviour etc etc

I don't smoke, never did, am happy that there are smoking-free areas, but the emphasis on 'smoking' is way over the top these days...

First, because we know the physical dangers of smoking, it is not something made up and , unfortunately, many people smoke ignoring the real facts. Of course the other things you mention are, also, dangerous, but speeding in your car, at what speed, is a silly comparison. Eating disorders are, also, very focused on and violent behavior is, often not a choice by the perpetrator at the time and not done by millions. It is no less terrible, but smoking kills and causes all kinds of illnesses, that is not a made of fact. We know this.

People know that doing certain things can have bad results. Things like smoking or drinking take a long time before the bad results are felt. The bad result is rarely instant. If you took one cigarette and the side effect was having a major heart attack or stroke just from smoking one cigarette, no one would smoke. Since this can occur after decades of smoking and doesn't happen to everyone who smokes, those who smoke put it out of their mind or have this it isn't going to happen to me or If I get it, there is treatment for it or I will know when to quit. This is what a lot of smokers this regardless of whether they are royal or not.

The same would be true if one drink caused severe liver damage.

Correct. But their is a difference between excessive drinking and social drinking. It is good to have 2 glasses of wine a day. It is never good to smoke. Who smokes 1 cigarette?

I just used 1 cigarette and one drink as an example of a point I was making.

I think it's difficult to quit completely... It's addictive after all

Last edited:

QFT
People need to stop shaming smokers like its the worst thing on earth. It's a bad habit that is there choice, not yours.

That used to be true, but even there things are changing.

It may possibly be because of the American tourists demanding smoke-free venues, but whatever the reason, smoking is less prevalent.

I think I remember seeing a photo (perhaps on this thread) of Princess Madeleine and Chris O'Neill smoking together in a ski lift. I could be thinking of someone else but I remember reading that Princess Eugenie smokes, but I'm not so sure on that one.

Times have changed, as Mirabel has said. Europe isn't as relaxed about smoking now, I'm going to give the UK as an example. In the UK, we used to be able to smoke on planes and in pubs, up until the 90's. We can still smoke in public places such as on the streets, but in other places, you have to go to a smoking area if you want to have a cigarette. However over here, there are some debates about whether smoking in public places like pubs and restaurants should be allowed again.

Back
Top Bottom