Which Royals Smoke?

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Interesting, I did not know that Queen Alexandra smoked. Well, it was modern and hip in those days I think!

I find it interesting that Queen Elizabeth and most of her children,Diana ect don't smoke or tired it only to give it up but most of the younger British royals do smoke.

Penny, I agree & have thought the same as well.

Maybe it has to do with the fact that most of the people like to live the opposite to the older generations and they all were chain smokers in HM's fathers generation. Plus some suffered from lung or throat cancer which is pretty deterring.

Btw, does Zara Phillips smoke?

Queen Elizabeth II - From what I have read, she did smoke when she was a teenager but quit shortly after the second world war ended.

Prince Philip - smoked until his marriage to Queen Elizabeth II.

The Queen Mother - it's an open secert that the Queen mother smoked until she was well in to her 80s.

Prince Charles is an avid anti-smoker and has never smoked. Princess Anne never smoked though she did admit to trying it when she was younger. Prince Andrew and the Duchess of York smoked until the birth of their first child. Andrew is now reported to be a "social smoker". Edward is like Charles is an avid anti-smoker.

i read sum where charles smoked but quit becuse the way his grandad died

Do Queen Margrethe's sisters smoke and are Victoria and Daniel smokers?

Smoking is a habit that extremely difficult to break once you start it. When I see younger people smoke, it's very sad. They know the health risks but because the effects of it doesn't often show up for decades (lung, jaw,throat cancer), perhaps they think it isn't going to affect them. Or somehow they will be the lucky one who doesn't get sick down the road.

Someday perhaps decades from now you will see a royal on television doing a public servant announcement urging people (from his or her hospital bed) not to smoke or not to get into the habit of doing so. Royals are not immune to health problems relating to smoking.

Does anyone else think that Queen Margrethe looks fabulous smoking? I know it's an icky habit, but she looks so full of conviction/satisfaction when she lights up. She's the only one who can ever carry off the "cool" smoking look (as far as I've ever seen).

Does Prince Amadeo (sp?) of Belgium smoke?

I do not see any relevance in which Royal does or doesn't smoke,it doesn't make them worse or better humans then they are.It's just the hype thing of "Oh gosh,how gros,they smoke...." .It's each and eveyones choice,you smoke or you don't,voila.Tell you that,there are more who do then there are who do not.But never in public,except Daisy as she couldn't be bothered by any petit bourgois,good for her.
No,I don't promote smoking and I don't smoke myself in case one might wonder.

I believe I had read a couple of years ago that Queen Margrethe quit smoking in public so there no longer any press photos of Daisy smoking.

It really surprises me how many royals smoke. It's a lot more than I would have thought. Sometimes I wonder if the royals who smoke think that somehow they will not have health issues down the road or somehow believe that they will be the few lucky ones that are not touched by health issues relating to smoking. They probably don't think about this at all and probably aren't happy when people bring this up.

Health issues relating to smoking doesn't discriminate (it can be found in the highest socio-economic levels to the lowest). Access to good medical care helps but it doesn't always save you from having chronic health issues relating to smoking.

I've never smoked in my life and I never acquired the habit of it as it is one of the most difficult habits to break. I've seen people try to quit smoking and some succeed and then others don't.

If I offended someone by making this comments, I apologize. This was not my intention nor was it my intention to tell someone what to do and what not to. I've known too many people who have suffered from smoking and this is why I'm passionate about it.

It really surprises me how many royals smoke. It's a lot more than I would have thought. Sometimes I wonder if the royals who smoke think that somehow they will not have health issues down the road or somehow believe that they will be the few lucky ones that are not touched by health issues relating to smoking. They probably don't think about this at all and probably aren't happy when people bring this up.

Health issues relating to smoking doesn't discriminate (it can be found in the highest socio-economic levels to the lowest). Access to good medical care helps but it doesn't always save you from having chronic health issues relating to smoking.

I've never smoked in my life and I never acquired the habit of it as it is one of the most difficult habits to break. I've seen people try to quit smoking and some succeed and then others don't.

If I offended someone by making this comments, I apologize. This was not my intention nor was it my intention to tell someone what to do and what not to. I've known too many people who have suffered from smoking and this is why I'm passionate about it.

Smoking is more accepted in Europe and Asia than in the US, although rates for smoking are now rising again in the US especially among teenagers and young adults. In Europe the health consequences of smoking haven't been presented as aggressively as in the US and Canada. Europe has started to address smoking and it's dangers in the last 10 yrs or so.

Smoking is more accepted in Europe and Asia than in the US, although rates for smoking are now rising again in the US especially among teenagers and young adults. In Europe the health consequences of smoking haven't been presented as aggressively as in the US and Canada. Europe has started to address smoking and it's dangers in the last 10 yrs or so.
That is an generalisation. Sweden have been running the health consequences at least s much as the US and started with it seriously over 30 years ago, and have as far as I know more restricive rules regarding smoking than any US State (altough some US counties have stricter rules). And as usually what is true for Sweden is true for most of Scandinavia, but perhaps not all (hmpf.. Denm...).

I am most saddened to learn that royals of the Islamic faith smoke. It is forbidden by the Qua'ran to use stimulants (alcohol, tobacco, etc.), but there they are professing to be Muslim and smoking (and drinking) away. Yes, this is a criticism.

Like Charles, I'm an avid anti-smoker!
But I can be calmer about it now that it's been mostly banned in public places, so I don't have to put up with second-hand smoke any longer.
I really don't care what people do in the privacy of their own homes, so if they want to rot their lungs out and get cancer or emphysema, it's up to them.

However, I think many young people smoke in a desperate effort to keep their weight down, especially celebrities.

I've known women who have smoked cigarettes to keep their weight down and some of them have paid the price later on. Because it's usually not immediate, people don't think about it.

Like Charles, I'm an avid anti-smoker!
But I can be calmer about it now that it's been mostly banned in public places, so I don't have to put up with second-hand smoke any longer.
I really don't care what people do in the privacy of their own homes, so if they want to rot their lungs out and get cancer or emphysema, it's up to them.

However, I think many young people smoke in a desperate effort to keep their weight down, especially celebrities.

Although initially weight can be lost when taking up cigarette smoking, the body adjusts after a few weeks and the weight is gained, so it's not a good way to keep weight down. Unfortunately, whilst you may be saved from second-hand cigarette smoke by the public ban, I wonder what could be done about the possible dangers of polution?!

Last edited:
Although initially weight can be lost when taking up cigarette smoking, the body adjusts after a few weeks and the weight is gained, so it's not a good way to keep weight down. Unfortunately, whilst you may be saved from second-hand cigarette smoke by the public ban, I wonder what could be done about the possible dangers of polution?!

Probably not much. My pet peeve is the smoker who tosses cigarette butts from his car window because he doesn't want to mess up the car's ashtrays- disgusting!

I'm glad Charles takes a stand about things like this; one of the reasons I've always liked him!

I admire Charles taking a stand on this issue. I hate to say this but sadly people have to learn the hard way that smoking is not good for their body or their health. If they don't want their children to smoke, they will have a hard time telling them not to, espcially if the children growing up saw their parents smoking. One can't say much if they smoke and then their children pick up the habit later on when they are adults.

Smoking will never been eliminated and banning it outright will just make it more attractive (the forbidden fruit). Prohibition in the United States was a joke. Special interests groups wanted if because if there was no more drinking, then supposedly people getting into fights with each other would cease and families would be stronger as a result. This didn't happen but made drinking more popular than ever. Tell someone they can't have this or do this and they will find a way to do so. Most people during that time period had no difficulty finding it.

What interesting to me is that many of the royals who do smoke try to hide it (seems to be some shame in being seen smoking) but when you can't smoke inside a public building, or if you go outside, someone might take a picture of you with the cigarette in your mouth, you have a very hard time hiding it.

From people I know who have tried to quit, it's very very difficult. It can be done but sometimes people quit several times before they are finally able to kick the habit. They say this is the most difficult habit to break, smoking.

nascarlucy said:
I admire Charles taking a stand on this issue. I hate to say this but sadly people have to learn the hard way that smoking is not good for their body or their health. If they don't want their children to smoke, they will have a hard time telling them not to, espcially if the children growing up saw their parents smoking. One can't say much if they smoke and then their children pick up the habit later on when they are adults.

Smoking will never been eliminated and banning it outright will just make it more attractive (the forbidden fruit). Prohibition in the United States was a joke. Special interests groups wanted if because if there was no more drinking, then supposedly people getting into fights with each other would cease and families would be stronger as a result. This didn't happen but made drinking more popular than ever. Tell someone they can't have this or do this and they will find a way to do so. Most people during that time period had no difficulty finding it.

What interesting to me is that many of the royals who do smoke try to hide it (seems to be some shame in being seen smoking) but when you can't smoke inside a public building, or if you go outside, someone might take a picture of you with the cigarette in your mouth, you have a very hard time hiding it.

From people I know who have tried to quit, it's very very difficult. It can be done but sometimes people quit several times before they are finally able to kick the habit. They say this is the most difficult habit to break, smoking.

Sorry but people should have the right to smoke if they want to- ban it to protect non smokers fine but it's not to teach smokers a 'lesson' about how bad it is for their health- most know and either are to addicted or don't care..... Sorry but smokers have rights too and I am tired of always getting a bad rap for it.

MRSJ, I totally agree with you. I am a former smoker, and it was definetly not, that I didn't know how bad it was for my health.

The former German Chancellor Helmut Schmidt, who also smokes prominently, had said about politicians smoking that it is a personal choice and noone has the say on what one does to his own body. He said that as a politician his policies and ideas were important and not his actions.
I'm a doctor, I don't smoke, but I fullheartedly agree with him :)

Sorry but people should have the right to smoke if they want to- ban it to protect non smokers fine but it's not to teach smokers a 'lesson' about how bad it is for their health- most know and either are to addicted or don't care..... Sorry but smokers have rights too and I am tired of always getting a bad rap for it.

People do have the right to smoke. They just can't smoke around me, anywhere. I won't work with people who smoke, as they stink to high Heaven. You may not smoke in my home or automobile. I have requested alternative seat assignments on aircraft because the woman next to me stunk. You may not expect my pity when you develop the hideous diseases associated with smoking.

Am I hard on the subject? Yes, I am. I quit at least three dozen times before I was able to quit. My smoking cessation can't be considered a "success" until they close the coffin lid. I am a non-smoking snob and proud of it.

No responses are necessary, but if you smoke, please at least think about quitting.

I just wish there were more smoking bans in public places enacted in Europe, the way they now are in the USA.
I think it's wonderful that now you can enter a pub in London without being subjected to a smoky haze that will make your eyes burn and your throat close up.

But some places in France or Austria, for example, are terrible!
People don't seem to take the risks seriously, as they do in the USA or UK.

There is a home video of George VI out on a picnic on a mountain drinking tea out of a picnic cup and with a cigarette in the other hand. It was a very fashionable activity - thankfully now frowned upon.

Back
Top Bottom