The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 08-23-2014, 09:04 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty91charmed View Post
She has no title but the younger daughter of Princess Stephanie of Monaco smokes as well along with her older sister Pauline... Camille is only 16
Do you have a pic of them smoking?

Old 08-23-2014, 09:26 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRoyalCouturier View Post
Do you have a pic of them smoking?
If you have instagram you can see some pics on their personal account... Camille stated she smokes in her ask.fm account

Old 08-23-2014, 11:15 AM
Royal Highness

Smart girls
Old 08-23-2014, 11:18 AM
Heir Apparent

Well... Since they parents do smoke I don't fin this surprising at all
Old 08-23-2014, 12:12 PM
Gentry

This is a general response to some of the things I have read in this thread and I have not read all of the thread.
I am from Kentucky, USA. In my neck of the woods, chewing tobacco comes in ropes of dried tobacco. In my father's childhood, his father and uncles made their own chewing tobacco. This was quite common and it was really chewed like gum. You cut off a hunk and chewed it. There is NOTHING more disgusting than real chewing tobacco!!! Thankfully, real chewing tobacco is rare anymore. Snuff in another thing entirely. It is finely chopped and is placed between the gum and the lip. There is a lot of spitting involved with both chew and snuff.
Now, my opinion on why royals, especially the women, smoke. I think they see it as a trade off. They smoke when they crave something to eat. Shall I smoke or shall I risk middle age spread?? Smoking, in the early days, was actually touted as a diet aid.
As for royals smoking:
KGVI chimney
QM yes, though not heavy I think
Queen Alexandra & Queen Mary did smoke and there are photos, even studio photos
QEII never
Philip before marriage and probably into the 60's. I believe he may have graduated to a pipe, but I am not sure.
Margaret chimney
Charles never
Diana never
Camilla not surprised
William I can find no evidence and have never heard it said before this board.
Henry photos show he may have a problem
Anne no
Her children, don't know
Edward no
Sophie don't know but would be surprised
D & D of Windsor of course their generation just did.
GV's children...all of them I believe
I am not surprised at all the Europeans smoking. I am surprised that King Felipe is so anti as smoking is still nearly universal in Spain.
In the 20's & 30's smoking was chic in society. You see it in all the old movies. And that generation are the people who are the grand parents and great grand parents of today's adults.
Just my two penny worth!
ana
Old 08-23-2014, 01:21 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty91charmed View Post
Well... Since they parents do smoke I don't fin this surprising at all
My mother and my brothers smoking has turned me against that crap completely. But that is each to their own. I find that anyone my age (Pauline and I are nearly the same age) smoking is really dumb. No one looks good while doing it.
Old 08-23-2014, 01:26 PM
Nobility

According to the FAQ section of the Prince of Wales website, "The Duchess of Cornwall gave up smoking many years ago."
Old 08-23-2014, 01:50 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empress Merel View Post
My mother and my brothers smoking has turned me against that crap completely. But that is each to their own. I find that anyone my age (Pauline and I are nearly the same age) smoking is really dumb. No one looks good while doing it.
I live in France and I can say that, eh... how to say, there is still a coolness in lighting a Gauloise at a neighborhood café, sipping espresso, and reading Guillaume Musso or Amélie Nothomb... The French ladies also keep thinking that smoking keeps their belle figure. The monegasque ladies are not different in that.

Old 08-23-2014, 01:56 PM
Heir Apparent

Le Prince d'Orange: http://www.anp-archief.nl/attachment/68997
Old 08-23-2014, 02:13 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair View Post
He looks like he's about 12 years old in that picture!

Abraham Lincoln
Old 08-23-2014, 02:21 PM
Serene Highness

If the parents smoke, usually the children follow suit. If the parents doesn't smoke, usually their children don't smoke.

Many people who quit smoking gain some weight and this is one reason why some people don't quit smoking. If someone gains some weight when they quit smoking, they are ways to take care of this (diet, exercise, having a personal trainer) before it becomes a problem.

The damage from continued smoking reaches a point where it can't be fixed or it's very costly to the person's health down the road.
Old 08-23-2014, 02:47 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
I live in France and I can say that, eh... how to say, there is still a coolness in lighting a Gauloise at a neighborhood café, sipping espresso, and reading Guillaume Musso or Amélie Nothomb... The French ladies also keep thinking that smoking keeps their belle figure. The monegasque ladies are not different in that.

They should look at Caroline's and Stephanie's leathery faces. That's what smoking and tanning will do to you. It might keep your body thinner (mostly too thin) but will damage the skin like nothing else.
Old 08-23-2014, 02:55 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladongas View Post
He looks like he's about 12 years old in that picture!
The caption says "HRH The Prince of Orange enjoys a cigarette at the International Concours Hippique in Rotterdam, August 16th 1985". The Prince was 18 years old then.

Old 08-23-2014, 02:57 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
They should look at Caroline's and Stephanie's leathery faces. That's what smoking and tanning will do to you. It might keep your body thinner (mostly too thin) but will damage the skin like nothing else.
True but in both cases it was more the ever omnipresent sun at the Rivièra than the smoking I guess. Back then in the 1970's and 1980's being bronze was very en vogue.

Old 08-23-2014, 07:19 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:

Oh to live in France, sit at a cafe and people watch, drinking good coffee and wine and having a little smoke - I have done it on my holidays and it brings back happy memories!
Today, I went to my local town and had to slum it at Costa, drinking bad coffee, surrounded by people guiltily smoking next to me whilst their kids and dogs run riot about my feet. How the word has changed about me!
Old 08-23-2014, 07:45 PM
Heir Presumptive

I'm pretty sure Stephanie and Caroline look so horrible because they are in the sun too much, if anything warned against tanning it would be those 2. I know of people who have smoked for decades and they still look fine, and I know of people who have smoked for decades and look really bad. Queen Margrethe's teeth is a warning against smoking.
Jaqueline Bouvier Kennedy, September 12, 1953
Countess Stephanie of Belgium October 20, 2012
Old 08-23-2014, 08:22 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
I have heard that both WA and Max are/were smokers - hopefully they've quit.
Old 08-23-2014, 09:46 PM
Gentry

Just a random thought.
How does someone who was so sheltered, like Princess Margaret, get started smoking? I can't imagine the nannie or housemaids sneaking her cigs. Especially with the rationing. (Were cigs rationed). Did she do it like my parents did, swiping them from Daddy? I mean she and QEII were virtually prisoners at Windsor for their late childhood years.
(My parents both began smoking as very young people (preteens), but they both quit before I was 5 in the 60's).
Old 08-23-2014, 10:05 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Also the cancer has a way of being a hell of a weight reducer.
Old 08-23-2014, 11:16 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter View Post
Also the cancer has a way of being a hell of a weight reducer.
Very true, but I recently saw a photo of several actresses smoking, ad the caption read that they prefer cancer to calories!

(Hard to imagine anyone could be that stupid; it's such a horrible way to die! But a relative of mine complained that his daughter, after witnessing another relative dying in agony from lung cancer, later stepped outside to light a cigarette! He questioned how she could possibly do that after what she'd witnessed, but no one thinks that sad fate will ever happen to them!)