The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 05-17-2014, 01:06 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty91charmed View Post
I think it's difficult to quit completely... It's addictive after all
It's difficult, but doable. I quit completely (and cold-turkey) 13 years ago. I know several other people who have, as well. The crux of the matter is that one must wholeheartedly WANT to quit. It's rarely possible to scare or shame or lecture a smoker into quitting. It has to come from within.

Old 05-17-2014, 01:06 PM
Royal Highness

Queen Juliana of the Netherlands (grandmother of King Willem-Alexander), wearing stunning jewels with unbelievable diamonds, having a nice tasty smoke after a State Banquet:

Source modekoninginmaxima.nl http://www.modekoninginmaxima.nl/sit...u-7001-8_x.jpg

Old 05-17-2014, 01:10 PM
Aristocracy

Second hand smoke is just as bad, so when you smoke you are taking away other people right not to smoke.
Old 05-17-2014, 01:12 PM
Heir Presumptive

I don't think smoking in restaurants should be allowed, not because of the other patrons but because of the people who work there. With that being said, it's the people who complain about those smoking outside and smoking in general by themselves who I have a problem with.
Jaqueline Bouvier Kennedy, September 12, 1953
Countess Stephanie of Belgium October 20, 2012
Old 05-17-2014, 01:13 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by CATS View Post
Second hand smoke is just as bad, so when you smoke you are taking away other people right not to smoke.

Then get up and walk away
Old 05-17-2014, 01:43 PM
Royal Highness

Here in the U.S. smoking is banned in so many public places that the only people who are really subject to second hand smoke are those who CAN'T get away - such as the family, esp. the children of smokers.
Old 05-17-2014, 01:44 PM
Royal Highness

In most countries of the EU smoking is banned from public places, like cafés, restaurants, schools, hospitals, companies, etc. In that sense there is no difference with the United States.
Old 05-17-2014, 01:57 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by GracieGiraffe View Post
Here in the U.S. smoking is banned in so many public places that the only people who are really subject to second hand smoke are those who CAN'T get away - such as the family, esp. the children of smokers.

Isn't this illegal as well? I grew up with a smoker, it didn't bother me. But I do think parents shouldn't smoke near their kids; they are a captive "audience" jus like the workers in restaurants and bars.
Old 05-18-2014, 09:11 AM
Courtier

Does it get any cuter than this? I don't think so.

Princess Estelle of Sweden Carries Out Her First Official Engagement With Her Parents | Mark Cuthbert - Photographer
Old 05-18-2014, 10:59 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinrit View Post
It's difficult, but doable. I quit completely (and cold-turkey) 13 years ago. I know several other people who have, as well. The crux of the matter is that one must wholeheartedly WANT to quit. It's rarely possible to scare or shame or lecture a smoker into quitting. It has to come from within.
I agree. Tha same for dieting and losing weight IMO
Old 05-26-2014, 07:55 PM
Serene Highness

Seems like most royals who smoke nowadays try to hide the fact that they smoke but it's becoming more and more difficult to do. Where do they hide when they smoke where no one can see them? Getting more and more difficult as many places don't allow you to smoke inside and going outside you risk getting caught.
Old 05-26-2014, 08:36 PM
Heir Apparent

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by nascarlucy View Post
Seems like most royals who smoke nowadays try to hide the fact that they smoke but it's becoming more and more difficult to do. Where do they hide when they smoke where no one can see them? Getting more and more difficult as many places don't allow you to smoke inside and going outside you risk getting caught.
As a person that has smoked for the majority of my life, I staunchly defended my right to smoke but also I realized that the people that do not smoke have the right not to be subjected to second hand smoke. I would imagine that the royals that do smoke find private areas where they can enjoy a smoke but yet its not something that is not done in the public view.

What I would like to see and its a very viable option is that if someone does smoke, they make the decision to use the electronic cigarettes. I switched to "vapes" a year and a half ago and the difference is amazing. Although one is still getting the nicotine with the vapes, there's no smoke, no tar, no ash, and from what I know, there's no harmful effects other than the nicotine addiction.
Old 05-27-2014, 03:34 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by nascarlucy View Post
It might seem that way, but I suspect because the general public do not appear to be able to cope with anything other than the mundane, royals do not smoke when out on public engagements. Having said that, it would be difficult to smoke a cigarette, shake hands, hold flowers and wave all at the same time.

Of-course, it is not a case of hiding their smoking or taking any risks as it is nothing to be ashamed of. However, palaces are huge and so are the grounds and there are plenty of places such as the sitting room, bedroom, bathroom, roof and acres of gardens or an outside area by the kitchen near the bins where one can have a crafty cigarette.

Whenever I smoke in public, being a good citizen etc, I am always conscious of smoking away from other people. At restaurants, I always have a cigarette between entree and pudding and go outside far away from other people. Oddly, as soon as I do, all the other smokers in the restaurant see it as their cue to go out too and one is never left alone!
I do find that many non-smokers have the annoying habit of standing right next to the cigarette bin outside Ipswich train station whenever I am there! There is another non-smoking bin further along and I wouldn't dream of standing there! As for the smokers, they always ask me for a light or spare cigarette, which is as equally annoying! So I do sympathise with royals who smoke!
Old 05-27-2014, 07:00 PM
Serene Highness

At their home or a palace there would be no shortage of places to smoke privately and not be seen. However, if they were at a dinner party, out at a public event or visiting another country and had the urge to smoke it would be more difficult to find a private place to smoke. Perhaps someone helps them out on this.
Old 06-25-2014, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XeniaCasaraghi View Post
Isn't this illegal as well? I grew up with a smoker, it didn't bother me. But I do think parents shouldn't smoke near their kids; they are a captive "audience" jus like the workers in restaurants and bars.
huh uh. i never knew a waitress who worked in the smoking section of a resturant who wasn't a smoker. until about ten years or so ago, i never knew a barmaid who wasn't a smoker.

a bar is supposed to be dim lights, THICK SMOKE, and loud, loud music. no one holds a gun to someone's head and forces them to work in a bar. if you don't want to work in a real bar, work somewhere else
Old 06-25-2014, 01:57 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamjumbo View Post
huh uh. i never knew a waitress who worked in the smoking section of a resturant who wasn't a smoker. until about ten years or so ago, i never knew a barmaid who wasn't a smoker.

a bar is supposed to be dim lights, THICK SMOKE, and loud, loud music. no one holds a gun to someone's head and forces them to work in a bar. if you don't want to work in a real bar, work somewhere else

I bartended for years and was never a smoker. I finally had to quit a job I liked because I kept getting bronchitis from being around second hand smoke so often. It was awful.

I hated giving up that job- it meant a loss in income for the first six months, and I'm glad to now live in a state with saner policies about smoking in public.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app
Old 06-25-2014, 02:34 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamjumbo View Post

Sounds like my kind of bar! There was a bar in my old home town called The Lounge and I used to go most evenings for a drink and smoke and listen to the music. Then it changed hands and the new owners put up a TV screen to show sport and then the smoking ban came into effect and people started bringing their young kids there, so it lost it's edginess and became a very unsociable place to visit.
I do sympathise though with bar workers who do not smoke and suffer the effects, because there may not be any other jobs about.
Old 08-21-2014, 10:30 PM
Royal Highness

On the website Main/The House of Windsor, it was mentioned:

Edward VII apparently once lit up from a church candle during a service.
Old 08-22-2014, 07:17 AM
Heir Presumptive

She has no title but the younger daughter of Princess Stephanie of Monaco smokes as well along with her older sister Pauline... Camille is only 16
Old 08-22-2014, 07:19 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyrilVladisla View Post
On the website Main/The House of Windsor, it was mentioned:

Edward VII apparently once lit up from a church candle during a service.
Ah, I love those royals of yesteryear!!