Which Royals Smoke?

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I would imagine that if you went back and looked at pictures prior to the mid 1960's, you probably would see pictures of royals with cigarettes in their hands at a party or pictures of them actually smoking. Back then most adults in Europe and the United States smoked, so this would be seen during the time period as chic or fashionable.

Now those who do smoke try to hid it but it's very difficult (sometimes they get caught because they often have to take their smoking outside and are at risk of being seen by others).

What surprises me is that many of the younger royals smoke, especially since there is much better knowledge of the harmful effects of smoking than there was in their grandparents time.

Considering George VI, I am sure that it is frowned upon, extremely. They may do it when they are young, but when the chips are down, and The Queen holds all the chips, they are strongly encouraged to stop.

I know this has been asked at least twice, but hasn't been answered yet (as far as I can tell). Does anyone know if anyone from the Japanese Imperial Family smoke and/or have smoked in the past? Just curious :)

I would imagine that if you went back and looked at pictures prior to the mid 1960's, you probably would see pictures of royals with cigarettes in their hands at a party or pictures of them actually smoking. Back then most adults in Europe and the United States smoked, so this would be seen during the time period as chic or fashionable.

Now those who do smoke try to hid it but it's very difficult (sometimes they get caught because they often have to take their smoking outside and are at risk of being seen by others).

What surprises me is that many of the younger royals smoke, especially since there is much better knowledge of the harmful effects of smoking than there was in their grandparents time.

I think if we went back to before the mid 60s, with royals you would most likely only see the men smoking. One thing my mother always reprimanded me on with my smoking (she smoked too) was to tell me a lady NEVER smokes a cigarette walking down the street or in public. Along with wearing a hat and gloves when you went out, there were rules to be followed for being feminine. A LOT of things really did change in the 60s didn't they? I can't really remember the last time I ever wore a hat and gloves (other than winter gloves and hat) but to be honest, I really wish it was that habit I picked up rather than smoking. Unfortunately all my children smoke too and that's one example I wish I'd never have set for them. My dear mother crossed over in '98 from lung cancer.

I'd like to relate a few words of wisdom here. "If you never start smoking, you'll never ever have to worry about quitting". And for us smokers... another good one. Mark Twain once said "Quitting smoking is the easiest thing to do... I do it twice a day". :D

I just hope that the young royals are only recreational smokers like having a smoke when they're with a party crowd etc... and not seriously hooked on the dreaded things.

Princess Margaret smoked, so Elizabeth had no influence there. Must be nice living in Europe where smoking is some carnal sin.
I've heard William smokes and I assume Harry does being in the army.

I'm pretty sure I remembering reading that the Queen of Denmark smokes a lot... Sad. :(

King Hussein, Queen Alia, Princess haya bint hussein, princes ali bin hussein, prince hamza bin hussein, prince faisal bin hussein and king abdulla. :D

President Ysser arafat, President hussni mubarak, President muammar qadafi, and President Saddam hussein and his sons.

They do, if they are smoking someplace and it affects other people.

It's their own business if they smoke in the privacy of their own homes, but they have no right to smoke in public places where it could harm other people. After years of putting up with smoke, I'm glad nonsmokers are now more assertive and refuse to be intimidated by smokers!

it is NOT harming you outdoors

I quit smoking after 45 years. I had tried to quit at least 20 times before that. The last time, I just quit. I still get cravings. My house doesn't stink, my clothing doesn't stink, nor does my car. Smoking kills and it kills at random. People who have been exposed moderately die of lung cancer and those who chain smoke for 60 years die from something else...why take a chance? Anyone who doesn't believe that smoking outside is not OK, well...just light up another one and take your chances. I never realized how badly smokers and their stuff smelled until I had been quit about a year. If someone who smokes stands next to me, the stench is overwhelming.

What is it with all the Muslim cigarette smoking? I thought the Qu'ran prohibited the use of stimulants.

Last edited:
Didn't HM Queen Margarethe II of Denmark smoke or still does and as I am reading "the making of a royal romance, William , Kate and Harry- behind palace doors" and read that prince Harry smoked cigarettes while in school and when he entered sandhurst.

I know this has been asked at least twice, but hasn't been answered yet (as far as I can tell). Does anyone know if anyone from the Japanese Imperial Family smoke and/or have smoked in the past? Just curious :)

Um I don't know but I had a picture of Emperor Akihito smoking in his late 20s but I had no idea if he still smoked or not because it's either lack of information or there's a source about that but it's in japanese (I can't read japanese :ermm:)

I quit smoking after 45 years. I had tried to quit at least 20 times before that. The last time, I just quit. I still get cravings. My house doesn't stink, my clothing doesn't stink, nor does my car. Smoking kills and it kills at random. People who have been exposed moderately die of lung cancer and those who chain smoke for 60 years die from something else...why take a chance? Anyone who doesn't believe that smoking outside is not OK, well...just light up another one and take your chances. I never realized how badly smokers and their stuff smelled until I had been quit about a year. If someone who smokes stands next to me, the stench is overwhelming.

What is it with all the Muslim cigarette smoking? I thought the Qu'ran prohibited the use of stimulants.

I'm a muslim and yes, it's true; Cigarettes, alcohols, etc are haram or forbidden. But, in my country (indonesia), even though it's a muslim country, too, most people smokes to relieve stress because they can't accept the reality of how bad the country is in both economically and politically :sad:

Can't believe Queen Rania did...I'm going to miss her beautiful face :sad:

I don't know about electronic cigarettes ! What is it ? :confused:

It's an electric cigarettes that you don't need a lighter to lighten it up. Plus, it doesn't produce smoke. It has a battery so you can charge it.

It has a flavor if I'm not wrong, they sell it in my country these days :wacko:

Can people be more intrusive than this?? OMG! She smoked a cigarette! She took off her bikini top! She was enjoying some time with her husband!
Jerks. :bang:

Well, she's probably not pregnant if she's still smoking.....

LadySarah said people smoke to forget bad circumstances. Yes, true. I did this many years ago when I was a college teacher. One day at work I nearly passed out from the effects of a cigarette, while sitting in my office. I felt I was close to death. I quit smoking that moment. The shock stopped me. The nice part about it was that I had NO withdrawal symptoms. I cannot say why this is, unless to thank God for it. I think all who smoke need to be shocked into sanity as I was.

Every royal who smokes is trying, like the rest of us who have smoked, to forget bad circumstances, such as being confused and ignorant about what is happening to them, their families, and the world.

I wish after all these photos she finds out that she is pregnant at least she will have something healthy to look forward to

Moonmaiden23 said:
Well, she's probably not pregnant if she's still smoking.....

I think the entire pregnancy idea was squashed when she went up that winch in the tree in Borneo. She did look a little puffy at the beginning of the tours, but it think just jet lag. She is back to herself the past few days. And she looked amazing yesterday in her casual attire.

Back
Top Bottom