Which Royals Smoke?

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Smoking was very fashionable in the past. People saw movie stars and Royals smoking and they were considered glamorous. It wasn't until the late 20th century that harmful effects were publicized. That was one of the reason "ordinary" people smoked, they wanted to be like the fabulous King, Queen, Prince or Princess or movie star.
Unfortunately, smoking is being seen as cool again and we see young Royals smoking which is an incentive for other young people.
I'm a bit of an old crab, but if you want to smoke, that's okay. Don't do it around me and don't cry and wail years down the line when you're sick.
I've taken care of enough people with cancer, emphysema, and chronic obstructive pulmonary disease to last me a lifetime besides taking care of my mother who had lung cancer from second hand smoke. Young adults and teens who smoke despite all the info on why not to, really get no sympathy from me. That includes Royals.:flowers:

Smoking has its benefits. I'm a smoker and have been smoking since I was 21 and am now 34. I don't know what to say first and foremost. I love cigarettes. I love tobacco. Often times it can be therapeutic and a pleasure and I do must admit that it can be a nasty smell carried on or that if abused as in chain smoking episodes you can get to feel it damage the health and or immune system. The Earth has enabled people to find empathy in smoking and I'm glad it's not something that is a hot topic as far as its legalization is concerned. It's not illegal and although here in the US it is banned from restaurants and bars I wish the establishment owners would have the ultimate right as to allowing their bar or tavern smoke free or not. I think it would then be up to the people, ie. customers to give their approval or not as customers. Like once upon a time.

Smoking may cause illnesses so their is a respect and a relationship where one chooses at given instances to light one or not. Yes nicotine is addictive but with concentration and perseverance I seem to be able to stop and let go of wanting more. Sometimes though I realize that tobacco is an herb and from what I can tell can be medicinal. I'm not trying to pitch people to smoke. I didn't like smoking until I took advice from a friend and started. But unless you become a habitual smoker you can always take it lightly and not worry about damaging your lungs unless it's long term involvement. By the way KittyAtlanta I liked hearing what you said. I can see why quitting can be hard and I understand how you can feel the way you do after having been a smoker yourself. Trust me I understand what you say. Smoking has its qualities some bad yet some good. It's a taste of personal choice. At the moment I'm not smoking but sometimes you can kill time or find calm and or peace when perturbed or troubled. Peace.

Last edited:
Penny Royalty said:
Smoking has its benefits. I'm a smoker and have been smoking since I was 21 and am now 34. I don't know what to say first and foremost. I love cigarettes. I love tobacco. Often times it can be therapeutic and a pleasure and I do must admit that it can be a nasty smell carried on or that if abused as in chain smoking episodes you can get to feel it damage the health and or immune system. The Earth has enabled people to find empathy in smoking and I'm glad it's not something that is a hot topic as far as its legalization is concerned. It's not illegal and although here in the US it is banned from restaurants and bars I wish the establishment owners would have the ultimate right as to allowing their bar or tavern smoke free or not. I think it would then be up to the people, ie. customers to give their approval or not as customers. Like once upon a time.

Smoking may cause illnesses so their is a respect and a relationship where one chooses at given instances to light one or not. Yes nicotine is addictive but with concentration and perseverance I seem to be able to stop and let go of wanting more. Sometimes though I realize that tobacco is an herb and from what I can tell can be medicinal. I'm not trying to pitch people to smoke. I didn't like smoking until I took advice from a friend and started. But unless you become a habitual smoker you can always take it lightly and not worry about damaging your lungs unless it's long term involvement. By the way KittyAtlanta I liked hearing what you said. I can see why quitting can be hard and I understand how you can feel the way you do after having been a smoker yourself. Trust me I understand what you say. Smoking has its qualities some bad yet some good. It's a taste of personal choice. At the moment I'm not smoking but sometimes you can kill time or find calm and or peace when perturbed or troubled. Peace.

Don't forget in NY it's now banned in outside public spaces like the park....

Last edited:
Sorry, smoking has no good qualities. It causes serious illnesses and is even dangerous to people who are surrounded by smokers. It smells bad and stains fingers and teeth and leaves deep wrinkles in faces. Frankly, it is a disgusting habit. I did smoke 45 years ago, along time ago tat I quit. I, personally, have never missed it. But that being said, it seems strange that if it is legal and it always will be, for fear of the tabacco industry, there should be choices for smokers to smoke.

Before smoking was banned in the state where I live, I asked a friend who is a restaurant owner why he did not ban it. He was afraid of offending people and losing business. BUT- he said he wished the state would intervene and ban it so he wouldn't have to fight with people who wished to smoke. He could just blame the law.

Well, the state did enact the ban, and it turned out his business actually increased, because he didn't have to have separate smoking and non-smoking sections. More people came in because they didn't have to worry about second-hand smoke.

I think cigarettes will be made illegal eventually, now there is a ban in most of the states.

Mirabel said:
Before smoking was banned in the state where I live, I asked a friend who is a restaurant owner why he did not ban it. He was afraid of offending people and losing business. BUT- he said he wished the state would intervene and ban it so he wouldn't have to fight with people who wished to smoke. He could just blame the law.

Well, the state did enact the ban, and it turned out his business actually increased, because he didn't have to have separate smoking and non-smoking sections. More people came in because they didn't have to worry about second-hand smoke.

I think cigarettes will be made illegal eventually, now there is a ban in most of the states.

But alcohol causes deaths too and that is not illegal? And IMO alcohol causes more problems then cigs on society.... I doubt cigs will be made illegal (didn't work with alcohol) but eventually you'll only be allowed to smoke in a car/home you outright own.... and once they are done banning that they'll find something else to ban and no one will be allowed to do anything the gov't decides is 'bad' -my opinion

Really we should get back to royals who smoke- sorry to get OT

But alcohol causes deaths too and that is not illegal? And IMO alcohol causes more problems then cigs on society.... I doubt cigs will be made illegal (didn't work with alcohol) but eventually you'll only be allowed to smoke in a car/home you outright own.... and once they are done banning that they'll find something else to ban and no one will be allowed to do anything the gov't decides is 'bad' -my opinion

Really we should get back to royals who smoke- sorry to get OT

It's not the same thing. If I drink a glass of wine in your presence, it doesn't affect you. However, if you smoke a cigarette in my presence, it does affect me.

I think it's a negative thing for the RF members who smoke, because it sets a bad example. (Same reason why they mostly gave up fox-hunting. As Charles once said, "You can't just do whatever you want.")

Mirabel said:
It's not the same thing. If I drink a glass of wine in your presence, it doesn't affect you. However, if you smoke a cigarette in my presence, it does affect me.

I think it's a negative thing for the RF members who smoke, because it sets a bad example. (Same reason why they mostly gave up fox-hunting. As Charles once said, "You can't just do whatever you want.")

People who drink outside their home and drive can hurt/kill someone and that is a higher liklihood then someone dying from secondhand smoke- but it's still legal to drink in bars/restaurants/ballparks etc....
Alcohol has wrecked more marriages, caused more accidents and fueled more crime then cigs ever have. Alcohol ruins your character when you're a drunk, smoking does not- eventually crude language will be not allowed, and plp will have to submit to BMI tests or test for sugar or to much salt- all bad for you. Employers are now allowed to fire plp who smoke because it raises health insurance costs as if drinking/being fat/ not excercising don't..... Why can't we fire plp for eating to many cheeseburgers? You can't force plp not to consume a legal product....fine to make it illegal to smoke in a restaurant but OUTSIDE? In a public place? It's a slippery slope.....it's a matter of personal choice, do you really want the gov't making all your personal choices for you? Because after cigs, they'll come for alcohol, and sugar, and candy - hell they already made Happy Meals illegal in CA.... Do you really not see how allowing gov't to create an assault on 1 personal choice will lead to the inevitable lose of more then just the 1? And for the record, the taxes that are ALWAYS raised on cigs (at least in US) pay for a lot of states projects- it's called a Sin Tax- so in a way smokers help keep the roads fixed and etc.....

Sorry for the rant....but it's something I feel very strongly about-

Let me add- I am not trying to defend smoking as a practice but the right to personal choice...if bar owners want to ban smoking in their establishment I believe that's their right but no one should be FORCED by the gov't ..... If your a nonsmoker you could choose to not go to a smoking bar but if your a smoker now you can't choose to go anywhere or to not smoke, you're being FORCED.....

Last edited:
My Dad smoked since he was 14 years old, finally gave up when he was in his 50s & it was a very long, hard slog for him (even now 5 years later he every now & then reaches for his cigarettes that are no longer in his pocket without actually realising he's doing it.) At the time when he did smoke it never bothered me, I suppose because I was used to him smoking all the time. Once he gave up though the whole family now finds it really hard whenever other smokers are around, the smell alone yuck! (even if they haven't smoked recently, that stale smoke smell lingers & is just stomach churning for me.)

I have sympathy for smokers because it is an addiction & think it's up to each person themselves to decide what they do with their body in private but me personally I find smoking pretty disgusting & think more things should be done to discourage people even starting it. I'd raise the legal age to buy cigarettes by 1 year each year so eventually you'd have to be like 45 to buy cigarettes legally & so it'd be a lot harder for teenagers to even start smoking & hopefully help them avoid getting addicted into their adulthood where they would then hopefully be sensible enough to not start even if they could legally buy them. Eventually smoking might just phase out as less & less people would be able to buy them at a young age & maybe less & less people would start in the first place. I always feel a bit disappointed when I find someone I admire or like is a smoker & I would always hope that smokers would give up if only for their own health but then I don't think you can force that on anyone, they have a right to do as they choose, especially in private.

Having lost my mother to emphysema and having my father dying from it now all I can say is - anyone who smokes has a screw loose.

They have no consideration for themselves - fine, but they are selfish in the extreme as they also don't care about the effect the diseases will have on their family or friends.

Smoking is a filthy habit with no redeeming features at all.

In New York City, they passed a law banning smoking outside. $50 fine if you're caught. Since the city is broke, this is a good way to bring in some revenue.

I haven't seen any photos of Charlotte smoking on the Skitrip, but Alex Dellal smokes. Doesn't Andrea smoke, too?

In New York City, they passed a law banning smoking outside. $50 fine if you're caught. Since the city is broke, this is a good way to bring in some revenue.

When was this law passed - I was in New York last September and had a cigarette walking up 5th Avenue!?

I haven't seen any photos of Charlotte smoking on the Skitrip, but Alex Dellal smokes. Doesn't Andrea smoke, too?

Andrea smokes at every moment of the day, everywhere!!!! I roughly saw one picture of him where he is not smoking!:eek: Pierre smokes also but slightly less IMO.
Charlotte smokes but rarely in public
Beatrice also smokes, Alex Dellal of course. I do not remember if Tatiana smokes.
Does anyone knows if Stefano smoked???

Did any of these royals ever smoke?

Princess Victoria

Prince Daniel

Prince Amedeo

Queen Mother

Prince Haakon

Last edited:
Um, I'm just going to be safe and say all of them smoke.
I'm not a smoker, but I hate people who continuously preach about smoking and try to prevent people from doing it anywhere and everywhere. It has been known that smoking is dangerous for decades, the people who do it know the harms and don't need to be continuously talked to about it.

Last edited:
The ones who look old for their age(Joachim of Denmark) or in some cases have bad skin and teeth.

I know that Princess Caroline does, as does Princess Stephanie. And PA's fiancee does as well, which is strange since he reportedly cannot stand cigarette smoke.

Do any of the Royals smoke electronic cigarettes?

I don't know about electronic cigarettes ! What is it ? :confused:

I don't know if I am allowed to quote directly from Wikipedia so let me paraphrase:

An electronic cigarette is an electrical device that simulates the act of smoking by producing an inhaled mist which provokes the physical sensation, and often the flavor and nicotine content of inhaled tobacco smoke.

I didn’t know what it was either, until I saw Catherine Zeta-Jones allegedly smoking them in TheFashionSpot. Apparently, Leonardo di Caprio, Johnny Depp and other stars also use them.

I did not think that the Queen Mother smoked, and so I would welcome people's comments on this.

I have looked back over the previous posts, and certainly concur with those who say that Harry smokes. I know that Lord Linley does [have seem him doing so in London restaurants]. The Duchess of Gloucester apparently smokes - I can remember that The Times commented on this as being something of an anomaly, because her husband dislikes smoking and was also a patron of an anti-smoking organisation at tht time. Camilla gave up following her wedding because Charles hated it so much [ which was an echo of Prince Philip, who gave up cigarettes on his marriage to the Queen]. The late Lord Lichfield [often described as 'the Queen's cousin, because his mother was related to the Queen Mother (from memory)] certainly smoked.

William certainly smoked before his marriage and Catherine certainly was a smoker too [she was photographed with her handbag open and her cigarettes clearly on view].

Alex

I would be interested in seeing that pic of Catherine with smokes in her handbag. Maybe she was carrying them for William?

hania said:
There are many royals who smoke but which of them have been photographed in the act?I have seen pictures of:

The Queen of England sister Lady Snowdon was a known chain smoker! :sick:
Please add more if u know of any!

Thanks! :rolleyes:

HM the Queen's late sister was HRH the Princess Margaret, Countess of Snowdon. NEVER "Lady Snowdon"!

Um, I'm just going to be safe and say all of them smoke.
I'm not a smoker, but I hate people who continuously preach about smoking and try to prevent people from doing it anywhere and everywhere. It has been known that smoking is dangerous for decades, the people who do it know the harms and don't need to be continuously talked to about it.

They do, if they are smoking someplace and it affects other people.

It's their own business if they smoke in the privacy of their own homes, but they have no right to smoke in public places where it could harm other people. After years of putting up with smoke, I'm glad nonsmokers are now more assertive and refuse to be intimidated by smokers!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom