Which Royals Smoke?

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It's really not fair for those of us in the US to judge the European attitude towards smoking. It is a different culture, after all. As a former smoker, I can see all sides - I quit smoking when I was pregnant with my son, but started again when he was 8 months old. Never in the house, never in the car with him, but basically smokers are so addicted to the nicotine that they will smoke whenever/wherever they can. That being said - which one of us has never done anything stupid that they regretted? (Smoking around a baby, for example.) The only difference is that there were no cameras around to capture the moment for posterity!
Also, the cigarettes in Europe are different than those in the US. Dunhill for example ( a British cigarette) contains just tobacco. None of the chemicals the US puts in their cigarettes.
Hopefully, the royals will quit eventually - it really does mess up your health. I quit at age 31 and already have noticed a great difference in my skin, taste, and I haven't gotten one cold since I quit! Good enough for me!

gaggleofcrazypeople said:
I know this has been already asked, but do any Luxembourg royals smoke? They don't really seem like they would, and I've never seen pics of them doing so. But yet again, I didn't think most royals smoked until I read this thread.

This has probably been answered already, but yes, they do. The late GD Josephine-Charlotte died of lung cancer. GD M-T smokes menthols (was told by PdV), and I think Henri smokes cigars, by Davidoff. About the royal kids I don't know, but with a smoking parents, it's likely that they have picked up the habit too.

It would be good as people didn't smoke but...

I think that because the greater part of the now reigning Royals in Europe are from the generation that was young around the sixties, many of them will have started smoking. Smoking wasn't seen as such a bad habit as it is become nowadays. And indeed, if your parents smoke, and maybe many others amongst you, it is easier to take over te habit. Just as a social thing, smoking a sigaret and drinking a glas. As many of my friends, family and other acquaintances prove to me every day, once started smoking it is very difficult to quit [and never start again]. I agree smoking is a bad habit so it would be nice if Royals openly quit smoking as a good example, but don't be too harsh on them, they are people with a special position, but they are people. It will last some time before smoking will be an exeption as well among Royals as among us common people.

I for myself I am glad I never started.

Last edited:
maryww said:
Also, the cigarettes in Europe are different than those in the US. Dunhill for example ( a British cigarette) contains just tobacco. None of the chemicals the US puts in their cigarettes.
I wish! The least adulterated tobaccos you can get in Europe are some of the rolling tobaccos as most of the chemicals in ready-made cigarettes are in the paper.

Young royals will smoke (and not just tobacco...), drink and enjoy all the things that young people of their age do. The next generation of royal rulers will have a better understanding of real people, and if they don't they won't survive

< ed quote from deleted post > ...this is a thread about royals who smoke and as a former smoker I can only share that it took an incredible about of self-discipline to quit smoking and for those royals who have quit (I think Fergie and Camilla were smokers) I say kudos to them!

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know what the big deal is if they wish to smoke. It is their bodies that they are harming. To them it is probably the only vice that they can have that is legal. I say let them, it may not be ROYAL, but it's human.

truth said:
I agree .That was so disgusting of maxima . But I don't think that she gave up this habit . I heard that she was smoking and drinking during her both pregnancies and that is the reason why she had problems during her pregnancies.

This is that photo.

not that i have always been a fan of maxima.
but this just TURNS ME OFF.

smoking infront of babies! does she know how harmful it can get :mad:

We don't know really for sure if she smoked and drank while she was actually pregnant, do we?

Simoneta gomez-acebo with a cigar in the laureus barcelona. BIG AUSTRALIA

Ouch! That Simoneta girl looks so amazingly trashy with that ciggy hanging out of her mouth like that. She looks Britney Spears tacky and that's tacky! (well, at least I think so). I don't care if someone smokes, it's their choice and as long as I don't have to smell it I figure it's none of my business. (former smoker here so I can't get too far up on my high horse!).
Who is Simoneta?

bluebess said:
Ouch! That Simoneta girl looks so amazingly trashy with that ciggy hanging out of her mouth like that. She looks Britney Spears tacky and that's tacky! (well, at least I think so). I don't care if someone smokes, it's their choice and as long as I don't have to smell it I figure it's none of my business. (former smoker here so I can't get too far up on my high horse!).
Who is Simoneta?

Simonetta Gomez Acebo is the daughter of King Juan Carlos sister, i.e. first cousin of Prince Felipe & the infantas.

As regards the smoke, you well well well said. Smoking is a free choice, as far as it does not disturb other people.
Simoneta is well dressed, nice hair etc. I do not understand how you can distroy such a "royal" image by carrying a cigarette in the mouth, in such occasion :D

God, she looks totally dumb wit it!! it l;ooks like a dressy evening function and she looks so cheap.

i saw a pic on Hello of Michelle willams and she out at a function with Heath ledger and their baby Mathilda and she has a fag in her mouth, so distasteful!

attachment.php

Queen of Denmark

I've got to say that I think MargretheII could dress up in a clown suit and fish net stockings and still be a class act. She smokes with style (and yes, I know she shouldn't smoke) and a certain panache that absolutely doesn't look cheap. Other smoker's should take note!:D

Oh, and Bonnita, I do not mean to imply that you think Margrethe looks cheap:)

Does anyone know if Prince Albert smokes? I know that the rest of the princely family does (except the young kids), but I don't ever recall seeing him smoking.

He doesnt, I read a article about him and he frowns upon smoking!

Queen Margrethe is yet quite young, but she looks quite aged. I think we thank her lifelong (?) smoking habit for her premature aging.

foiegrass said:
not that i have always been a fan of maxima.
but this just TURNS ME OFF.

smoking infront of babies! does she know how harmful it can get :mad:
The pic of Maxima puffing away in front of infant Eloise:

http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=170648&d=1121731598

Same here. Smoking in front of your own offspring would be bad enough, but in front of someone else's new born, forgive me but I find that pretty selfish and ignorant, and I'm putting it mildly here.

Most of the Oranje family smoke like they fancy themselves coal miners by the way. Or wish to be. So it's not only Maxima. And who knows, maybe she even wisened up and quit?

Last edited:
I don't want to jump onto the anti-smoking bandwagon as I feel it is a personal choice (though a pretty stupid one and I myself was stupid for a long time)but I will say that between the sun worshipping and the smokes, it won't be long before Maxima starts to look old. I hope she doesn't care how she looks in photos because it won't be pretty and she is a pretty woman right now.
Some people can escape the ravages of sun damage and cigs like Caroline of Monaco but I honestly don't know how they do it. It's got to have something to do with their genetic make up and a pretty darn good makeup artist! It also doesn't hurt to have Carolines cheekbones...and jawline...and eyes...and lips...the list is endless with her!:D

It seems as tho many of the Royals have aged due to their lifestyle

Charlotte Casiraghi smoking in 2005

Source: Townsend's weblog/hosted by tinypic.com

spvkty.jpg

spvlhy.jpg

absolutely great - looks very cute when she smokes
please post more smoking pics of her !!!

I still dont think that charlotte is a smoker. We dont see many pictures of her smoking. But if she were a smoker she wouldnt probably hide it, since her two brothers dont seem to hide it either. I hope i'm not wrong :/

fandesacs2003 said:
Simonetta Gomez Acebo is the daughter of King Juan Carlos sister, i.e. first cousin of Prince Felipe & the infantas.

As regards the smoke, you well well well said. Smoking is a free choice, as far as it does not disturb other people.
Simoneta is well dressed, nice hair etc. I do not understand how you can distroy such a "royal" image by carrying a cigarette in the mouth, in such occasion :D

Totally agree with this, Cristina was looking very elegant and regal and Simoneta looked very cheap next to her with that fag hanging on her mouth, like someone from a 50's cowboy movie...

Charlotte And Her Brothers Have Been Smoking For Years!

Quote from this week's edtion of Danish magazine Billed Bladet - which featured a large interview with Anne-Marie on the occasion of her 60th birthday.

Anne-Marie: I've always enjoyed singing, but smoking too many cigarettes hurts your voice, and I've done that from time to time.

Journalist: Do you still smoke?

AM: No, I stopped the year before Theodora's birth, so it's been 24 years. My husband stopped five years ago.

Journalist: Do you think you'll contaminate your sister?

AM: You try, but it is her own decision. You can't interfer in it. My son, Nikolaos, who is the only one of our children who smoke, also get the pointed finger from time to time, but he's got to figure it out by himself. Prince Joachim also smokes a lot, whereas I rarely see the Crown Prince with a cigarette.
Journalist was Anna Johansen.

Back
Top Bottom