Which Royals Are Good Friends?

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I read that Norway and Sweden's Royal Families are very close, especially the Crown Prince couples. I also think Kate Middleton and Princess Mary appear to be friends. @Artemisia: From your pictures, Queen Elizabeth and Queen Sonja also appear to be close.

Last edited:
Denmark, Sweden and Norway are very close. Not so sure about Mary and Kate being friends.

Yep I know the article. But honestly I doubt that they know each other that well in order to be "friends" :)

In this article Kate Middleton and Princess Mary of Denmark are royal lookalikes in Copenhagen | Mail Online, in the picture of them together, it looks like they're friends, but it's only one article, so I could be wrong! ;)

I think they look very comfortable with each other, but I highly doubt that they're friends. The Cambridges don't really mix with their counterparts from the Continent, so it would be very hard to form any sort of friendship. I think it may be possible that the Wessexes are on friendly terms with the Crown Princes/Princesses of Europe, because they go to almost all of the major events like Christenings and weddings. Plus, they're closer in age and stage of life to the Heirs of Denmark, Norway, and Netherlands, than the Cambridges. It would be nice of if they formed a friendship with Victoria and Daniel of Sweden, but I don't see that happening.

The Royal Family of Belgium and the Grand Ducal Family of Luxembourg are good friends as well. King Albert II of Belgium and his family always attend Grand Duke Jean's birthday parties held every January 5. :D

well, GD Jean and King Albert II are brothers-in-law, so that's no big surprise :flowers:

Daniel and Sophie are definitely friends. I remember him greeting her at the Olympics and kissing her on the cheeks. It really was a great picture.

Is the Countess of Wessex friends with Charlene of Monaco? She went to Monte Carlo with Edward this year and seemed to be mingling with the Monegasque royals.

Last edited:
Daniel and Sophie are definitely friends. I remember him greeting her at the Olympics and kissing her on the cheeks. It really was a great picture.

I missed that moment. Everyone was so fixated on the fact that the Cambridges snubbed Crown Princess Victoria and Prince Daniel, that something that pleasant slipped through the cracks. I'm glad they're friends. You can never have too many of those.

HereditaryPrincess said:
Is the Countess of Wessex close to Albert and Charlene because she went to Monte Carlo with Edward this year?

When did she go with Edward? She went alone to Monaco.

Yep I know the article. But honestly I doubt that they know each other that well in order to be "friends" :)

I agree with you, as Kate doesn't see Mary that often, so they can't share a proper friendship like the Crown Prince couples do. I don't think the Cambridges make that many visits to Denmark.

When did she go with Edward? She went alone to Monaco.

Then the picture I saw of her in Monaco with Edward must have been from a couple of years ago, or in a completely different location :lol:

I think she's wearing a pink dress in the photo and she's on the red carpet.

It seems like all the heirs to the thrones are friends
Willem Alexander & maxima
Victoria & Daniel
Frederik & Mary
All the European queens must be good friends too
Queen margarethe and Queen Beatrix
Queen Sofia and queen Sonja

The British, Danish, Greek and Spanish royals must be close seeing as how they are family
Also
Crown prince Alexander of Yugoslavia, Constantine II of Greece, Michael I of Romania, king harald V of Norway and king Carl XVI gustaf of Sweden too

I wonder out of all the monarchs who are queen Elizabeth IIs friends ?

The Greeks and Bulgarians are possibly the closest to the Spanish Royal Family.

Maybe Queen Beatrix? She was greeting HM at the Jubilee Dinner with a very warm embrace.

Queen margarethe and Queen Beatrix
Queen Sofia and queen Sonja

Queen Margrethe II of Denmark and Queen Sonja of Norway in particular are incredibly good friends. They've been skiing together in Norway for years now and there are so many pictures of them having a really good time.

I wonder out of all the monarchs who are queen Elizabeth IIs friends ?

I have always thought that HM is closest to King Constantine II of Greece and the Greek branch, probably because of the DoE's greek ancestry. Also King Baudoin of Belgium, whose funeral she attended herself, maybe?

Maybe Queen Beatrix? She was greeting HM at the Jubilee Dinner with a very warm embrace.

I remember reading about that several times on this forum. The greeting between them was indeed very, very warm. I think they're indeed friends with one another.

:previous:
Amazing picture :flowers: I also love it!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for posting that picture. its priceless.

In my opinion the scandinavian royals are each other good friends

The picture is from the Olympics where the daughters of Princess Anne and Princess Benedikte were competing. My guess is that this picture is from when Zara won her silver medal.

Last edited by a moderator:
I also think Kate Middleton and Princess Mary appear to be friends. .

Not so sure about Mary and Kate being friends either... they have only met each other once probably, frederik and mary didn't even attend the royal wedding in london. on top of that, the ages between both couples are different, so i doubt they have very much in common..

Back
Top Bottom