The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 08-19-2006, 04:13 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henri M.
I think that most posters to this thread make the mistake to see nice interaction during official events as friendship.
While I agree that acting nice at offical events does not constitute a friend, necessarily, there have been plenty of proof on this thread that royals socialize with each other outside of their official lives - Maxima and Wilhelm Alexander's holiday in Norway with Haakon and Mette-Marit, Mette-Marit and Haakon bringing Victoria along on a skiing holiday, Sonja and Margrethe going skiing in the Norwegian mountains every winter, and so on. Certainly, they're not each other's only friends, and there might be some that go better together than other. And yes, it is easy to read from pictures things that might not be there, (how many engagement rumours or pregnancy rumours haven't been started in the press by a picture?) but the important thing is to note the occasion of the picture. A friendly look between two royals at the celebration for the Thai king, doesn't have to mean anything, considering the mass of royals attending. That they spend time together on their down-time, I see as more significant.

And spending time with Haakon and Frederik, observing them talking together on their way in and out of the official event and joking together, I'd say they are friends.

Old 08-19-2006, 04:27 PM
Heir Apparent

Crown Prince Frederik and Crown Prince Haakon are known to be very good friends.
Crown Princess Mette-Marit and the Duchess of Cornwall seem to be quite close as well (as the pic below showes). During the last visit of CP Haakon and CP Mette-Marit to England, the 2 women seemed to enjoy each other's company very much.

source - UK press

Prince Albert and King Abdullah of Jordan are both Prince Charles' good friends.
The Prince of Wales also seems to enjoy the company of the Princess of Asturias very much. :)

source - sipa Press

Queen Elizabeth: "I cannot lead you into battle, I do not give you laws or administer justice but I can do something else, I can give you my heart and my devotion to these old islands and to all the peoples of our brotherhood of nations." God, Save The Queen!
Old 08-19-2006, 05:00 PM
Serene Highness
Picture of the Month Representative – Spain

I really like Letizia's hair on that picture
Old 08-19-2006, 06:37 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon
Crown Prince Frederik and Crown Prince Haakon are known to be very good friends.
Crown Princess Mette-Marit and the Duchess of Cornwall seem to be quite close as well (as the pic below showes). During the last visit of CP Haakon and CP Mette-Marit to England, the 2 women seemed to enjoy each other's company very much.

source - UK press

Prince Albert and King Abdullah of Jordan are both Prince Charles' good friends.
The Prince of Wales also seems to enjoy the company of the Princess of Asturias very much. :)

source - sipa Press
With all respect. The Duchess of Cornwall may be kissy-kissy with the Crown Princess of Norway. And The Prince of Wales may be kissy-kissy with the Princess of Asturias. It is just a greeting or a bye-bye. It really has nothing to do with friendship.

The best proof that pictures lie are the latest official fairytale pictures of Prince Joachim and Princess Alexandra of Denmark. Everybody was fainting for the love supreme speaking out of these pictures.

A few weeks later the couple separated.....
Old 08-19-2006, 09:22 PM
Aristocracy

I agree to the most part with Henri. I think that when we do see the royals in public, they naturally are nice and courteous to each other. But, there is enough proof about certain friendships: Queen Beatrix and the Spanish Monarchs, Queen Sonja and Queen Margrethe II, Queen Elizabeth II and Queen Sonja, Prince Charles and former King Constantine II of the Hellenes, etc. We will never know exactly how close royals are to each other unless we are "buddy-buddy" with the royals themselves, and I doubt that many of us are!
Old 08-19-2006, 11:03 PM

king bhumibol of thailand and emperor akihito of japan.
Old 08-20-2006, 01:06 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by timtonruben359
I know that Queen Elizabeth II is very good friends with Queen Sonja of Norway.

Prince Charles is close to King Juan Carlos and Queen Sofa of Spain he and the late Princess of Wales along with William and Harry used to vaction with the Spanish King and Queen often. Queen Elizabeth II is also friends with the King of Spain.

The Queens of Denmark, Norway, and Sweden are all good friends as well.

I remember reading somewhere that Queen Elizabeth II is not too found of Queen Beatrix though...I can't remember the exact reason but I think Queen Elizabeth II feels that Queen Beatrix is too "full of herself"....I'll try and find it again...nothing like good royal infighting
HM Queen Elizabeth II is very close to all European Royal Families as HM is related to all of them through the late Queen Victoria except the Spanish Royal Family.The British Royal Family especially HM The Queen is not in good terms with the King & Queen of Spain as both royal families claim that their country owns Gibraltar.The King & Queen of Spain even did not attend the wedding ceremony between HRH Prince Charles of Wales and HRH Princess Diana of Wales at St.Paul's Cathedral in 1981 after knowing that the royal couple will spent their honeymoon in Gibraltar which the Spanish Royal Family claims ownership.Moreover,neither the King & Queen nor the Crown Prince & Princess of Spain attended the wedding ceremony at St.George's Chapel and the reception at the Waterloo Chamber of HRH Prince Charles,The Duke of Cornwall and Camilla,The Duchess of Cornwall at Windsor Castle last year although The Queen invited them.
Old 08-20-2006, 01:10 AM
Heir Apparent

srvishnu, QEII is related to a lot of royals but they are all related amongst themselves, that doesn't necessarily means she's friends with everybody 'cuz she's not...
the closest relationship I've ever heard is QEII and Queen Sonja
Old 08-20-2006, 01:53 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by crisiñaki
srvishnu, QEII is related to a lot of royals but they are all related amongst themselves, that doesn't necessarily means she's friends with everybody 'cuz she's not...
the closest relationship I've ever heard is QEII and Queen Sonja
Relatives / family members' can be good friends too but good friends not necessarily be related or be relatives.
Old 08-20-2006, 03:04 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by srivishnu
Relatives can be good friends too but good friends not necessarily be related or be relatives.
I agree with you, and QEII is related to the Spanish Royal Family; Queen Victoria Eugenia of Spain ( King Juan Carlos' grandmother) was a granddaughter of Queen Victoria...
Old 08-20-2006, 05:25 AM
Royal Highness

Actually Queen Elizabeth, King Albert, King Juan Carlos, Grand Duke Henri, King Harald, Queen Margrethe, etc. are all related to each other thanks to Johan Willem Friso of Nassau, Prince of Orange, Fürst zu Nassau, Stadtholder of the Netherlands (4 August 1678 - 4 July 1711), a direct ancestor of Queen Beatrix.

Johan Willem Friso holds the position of being an ancestor to all currently (and most formerly) reigning European royal families.
Old 08-20-2006, 05:51 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by norwegianne
While I agree that acting nice at offical events does not constitute a friend, necessarily, there have been plenty of proof on this thread that royals socialize with each other outside of their official lives - Maxima and Wilhelm Alexander's holiday in Norway with Haakon and Mette-Marit, Mette-Marit and Haakon bringing Victoria along on a skiing holiday, Sonja and Margrethe going skiing in the Norwegian mountains every winter, and so on. Certainly, they're not each other's only friends, and there might be some that go better together than other. And yes, it is easy to read from pictures things that might not be there, (how many engagement rumours or pregnancy rumours haven't been started in the press by a picture?) but the important thing is to note the occasion of the picture. A friendly look between two royals at the celebration for the Thai king, doesn't have to mean anything, considering the mass of royals attending. That they spend time together on their down-time, I see as more significant.

And spending time with Haakon and Frederik, observing them talking together on their way in and out of the official event and joking together, I'd say they are friends.
I agree, just because they smile and laught at each other in official engagements or hold each others arms does not make them good friends, it makes them friendly and happy to see each other. I think when there is a long evidence of visiting each other in private you can start to talk about friendship. Example the Norwegian and dutch royals.

Märtha did live in the Netherlands (still remember how the press had her as a potential wife for one of Beatrixs boys every month what a loss ) the last years they have visited each other in private several times on top of official meetings. WA and Constantijn with families spend a weekend at Maagerø, H and MM went sailing with Maxima and WA at Beatrixs boat, recently all Haakon and Märtha with familes spent a weekend celebrating Laurentiens birthday/wedding anniversary in the Netherlands, Haakon was spotted visitng the Netherlands by himself. Both Laurentien and Maxima has been chosen as godmothers for the norwegian children even if it would traditionally be more logical to chose WA and Constantijn and Haakon is the godfather of Eloise. Märtha said about Laurentien she was a great woman and that they tried to see each other as often as they could. This really goes beyond the usually Im-happy-to-see-you-because-we-are-in-the-same-boat politeness IMO. Ofcourse it does not make the BEST friends but certainly when they choose to see each other in private one must be abel to say that they are friends
Old 08-25-2006, 08:13 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by srivishnu
HM Queen Elizabeth II is very close to all European Royal Families as HM is related to all of them through the late Queen Victoria except the Spanish Royal Family.The British Royal Family especially HM The Queen is not in good terms with the King & Queen of Spain as both royal families claim that their country owns Gibraltar.The King & Queen of Spain even did not attend the wedding ceremony between HRH Prince Charles of Wales and HRH Princess Diana of Wales at St.Paul's Cathedral in 1981 after knowing that the royal couple will spent their honeymoon in Gibraltar which the Spanish Royal Family claims ownership.Moreover,neither the King & Queen nor the Crown Prince & Princess of Spain attended the wedding ceremony at St.George's Chapel and the reception at the Waterloo Chamber of HRH Prince Charles,The Duke of Cornwall and Camilla,The Duchess of Cornwall at Windsor Castle last year although The Queen invited them.
I'm not saying that they are good friends, but they have certainly been in contact since.

The Queen has paid a State Visit to Spain, attended the Wedding of Princess Alexia as did the Spanish royals, King Juan Carlos & Queen Sophia attended the Queen's Golden Jubilee Dinner and festivities, Charles attended the Asturias wedding festivities and he gets on very well with Sophia. These all, just to name a few.

Could I ask for the source which states that the King and Queen of Spain were invited to the Cornwall wedding? I'm not being rude, I just didnt know they had been invited so would really like to see.

Thanks
Old 11-21-2006, 01:52 AM
Nobility

I for once believe the rumors that the Queen and Queen of Spain are very good friends of Queen Beatrix, you just have to see the joy in their faces when they meet each other:

http://www.anp-photo.com/downloadpic...w.pp?id=963547
http://www.anp-photo.com/downloadpic...w.pp?id=963673
http://www.anp-photo.com/downloadpic...w.pp?id=963672
http://www.anp-photo.com/downloadpic....pp?id=1004913
Old 12-22-2006, 05:34 PM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Month Representative - Norway & Spain
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by zarzuela
I for once believe the rumors that the Queen and Queen of Spain are very good friends of Queen Beatrix, you just have to see the joy in their faces when they meet each other:

http://www.anp-photo.com/downloadpic...w.pp?id=963547
http://www.anp-photo.com/downloadpic...w.pp?id=963673
http://www.anp-photo.com/downloadpic...w.pp?id=963672
http://www.anp-photo.com/downloadpic....pp?id=1004913
Those pictures are so nice!
King Juan Carlos seems to be really popular in the Royal(-Ladies) Circle. *joking*
I also love this picture (posted by LaMinka) of JC and Sonja.

Old 12-25-2006, 02:57 PM
Gentry

and what are the best friends of Princess Letizia? and Princess Mary?
Old 12-25-2006, 09:46 PM
Serene Highness

It seems that Letizia gets along with Mette Marit and Maxima
Old 12-26-2006, 07:12 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mari_*
It seems that Letizia gets along with Mette Marit and Maxima
How do you know?
Old 12-26-2006, 07:53 PM
Serene Highness

I've read so
Old 12-26-2006, 08:32 PM
Heir Apparent

I would assume that Mary would be closest to Victoria and Mette-Marit. From photos I've seen (especially Victoria and Mary) they seem to get along very well and enjoy each others company. And both women are godmother to her child afterall.

I also wonder what her relationship is with Mathilde. I noticed that the Duke and Duchess of Brabant attended the christening of Prince Christian and they (apart from their Swedish, Norwegian and Greek counterparts) were the only other foreign royals to attend