Which Royal Supports Which Art ?

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FarahJoy

Gentry
City
Somewhere
Country
Spain
Being the daughter of a sculptor this question comes naturally to my mind ! :lol:

Which Royal person or Prince or Princess is interested in which art : painting, sculptures, music, movies, classical or modern dance, fashion, culinary arts, fotography, others... And which of them supports an art in particular ?

Up !

I can't believe NO ROYAL supports an art :w00t: : I see them so often in magazines at galleries inaugurations and others... Up ! Up !

Being the daughter of a sculptor this question comes naturally to my mind ! :lol:

Which Royal person or Prince or Princess is interested in which art : painting, sculptures, music, movies, classical or modern dance, fashion, culinary arts, fotography, others... And which of them supports an art in particular ?

I'm sure many of them do.

However, being an accomplished artist herself, Queen Margrethe II of Denmark is the first person that comes to my mind. She has not only supported the arts in the past as well as present, she encourages the medium through her various patronages, private as well as personal.

Give me a moment to find some of her own personal artwork.

All I know is that Queen Sonja uses to visit the Edvard Munch Museum with nearly every person who visits Norway (during State Visits for example). She and Harald also visited the Munch Museum with their wedding guest one or two days before their wedding.
So, I guess Sonja loves Munch's Art! ;)
During a film about the Queen they showed her painting watercolor/aquarell pictures of landscapes.

I also remember seeing pictures of Queen Beatrix doing a sculpture of her son Constantijn. I think she did several sculptures so far. But I don't know if she still does it...

Last edited:
Princess Diana was a keen dancer and I'm fairly sure she was a patron for the English National Ballet.

If you simply mean royals who have art patronage do and show up at events, likely more than ninety percent,

If you mean those with a skill or real interest personally. Those I can think of

Margrethe is passionate about ballet. She has designed costumes for several.

Henrik is a noted poet.

Sonja is an avid photographer. She has had exhibits as a print maker.

Martha Louise is a writer. She aldo sings and does readings to promote Norwegian folk art.

Guillaume is a piano player.

Beatrix I remember one of her sculptures being auctioned.

Charles is a writer and gifted water colorist. He has books of both. He played the cello.

Philip is also a painter. Also avid collector, including contemporary cartoons.

Paola is a huge supporter and investor in contemporary Belgian art.

Carl Philip is a designer. Along with fishes he did a cd cover and calendar for charity.

Eugenie works in an art gallery.

Marie Chantal designs children's clothing.

Further from the throne we have art dealer Helen Taylor, art director rose Gilman who worked on Harry Potter, viscount lascelles who is a chef, James lascelles who is a musician, the duke of Gloucester who was an architect, Freddie and Gabriella who are journalists and Sophie winkleman who is an actress. Viscount Lindley designs furniture.

King Charles I of Great Britain invited famous artists Van Dyck and Rubens to work in England. He spent a fortune on paintings by the masters such as Titian and Raphael.

The fact that they may have art patronages does not necessarily mean that they have any great knowledge or interest.. its just something ttht royals are expected to do....

The first President of the Royal School of Needlework was Princess Helena, Princess Christian of Schleswig-Holstein.
Queen Camilla became the patron in 2017 when she was The Duchess of Cornwall.

Back
Top Bottom