What To Wear?

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RoyalProtocol

Courtier , Royal Blogger, TRF Author
City
Belfast
Country
United Kingdom
:eek: On Sunday I'm going to The Queen's Cup Final at Guards Polo Club!:)

I am now distressed trying to decide what to wear, HM The Queen will be there but the dress code is Smart Casual, so would jeans, shirt and navy blazer be acceptable, or cream tousers instead of the jeans?

Any advice would be appreciated thanks!

I don't know for sure, but I would think that Smart Casual does not include jeans. I think that cream trousers would be a good choice.

I don't know for sure, but I would think that Smart Casual does not include jeans. I think that cream trousers would be a good choice.

I've been look at photos of last year and there were lots of jeans/blazer combos, but I don't know if I would be comfortable wearing Jeans in the presence of The Queen!

Thanks SGL

You're welcome! I love to wear jeans, but just like you, I wouldn't feel comfortable wearing them in HM's presence. I hope that you take lots of photos! You are very lucky.

What a lucky person you are! You are going to see Her Majesty... Although it may sound old-fashioned, what about a dress with a pashmina shawl or a cropped jacket? As for jeans, I am in agreement with sgl, trousers may suit better.

What a lucky person you are! You are going to see Her Majesty... Although it may sound old-fashioned, what about a dress with a pashmina shawl or a cropped jacket? As for jeans, I am in agreement with sgl, trousers may suit better.

Sorry Al_bina- this is the problem with usernames- I'm a man but I get the idea and will steer clear of Jeans!:flowers:

I am sorry ... :blush: :blush: :blush: I am sure you will be dressed appropriately. :flowers:

Or you could wear a dress. You would definitely get HM's attention :lol:. Seriously, though, I asked my husband what his definition of "smart casual" is, and he thought that light-colored trousers, a button-down shirt with collar, and blazer (but no tie) would be fine. You will want to make sure that the fabric is somewhat light-weight, but not as light-weight as linen, since this is an outdoor event in the late spring/early summer.

Or you could wear a dress. You would definitely get HM's attention :lol:. Seriously, though, I asked my husband what his definition of "smart casual" is, and he thought that light-colored trousers, a button-down shirt with collar, and blazer (but no tie) would be fine. You will want to make sure that the fabric is somewhat light-weight, but not as light-weight as linen, since this is an outdoor event in the late spring/early summer.

This is great, I have to say I'm not fussed on linen so I don't have a linen bazer and my cream tousers are flannels so I think it should be fine.

As for the dress:ROFLMAO:

I do have several dresses that you could borrow if you change your mind :ROFLMAO:

What type of shoe were you thinking of wearing? Don't do anything that resembles a trainer or sandal, or anything with a high shine, since it will be daytime, and you aren't in military uniform (the only time it is acceptable for men to wear shiny shoes-other than weddings and evening events). I hope that you share your photos with us!

I was thinking dull brown shoes (lace ups) which are smart but still casual and comfortable!

I have my camera ready to pack tomorrow so you can look forward to seeing the pictures on Sunday night and then on Monday I'll post the pics I take at Windsor Castle from the Garter Service (Morning Dress- so I'm sorted for that one, though I might go for the other option now- "Afternoon Dress, Hats":lol:)

I just purchased a new fascinator if you would like to borrow it for "Afternoon Dress" :ROFLMAO:

The brown shoes sound like a smart choice. Dull is always good for men's shoes in the daytime. Too much shine will be really tacky.

Just out of curiosity...how did you discover the dress code for the events? Was it stated on the invitations?

I just purchased a new fascinator if you would like to borrow it for "Afternoon Dress" :ROFLMAO:

The brown shoes sound like a smart choice. Dull is always good for men's shoes in the daytime. Too much shine will be really tacky.

Just out of curiosity...how did you discover the dress code for the events? Was it stated on the invitations?

For Garter Day, it was stated on the invitation but for the QCF I had to ring the Polo glub and ask, but I found it in the FAQs which came with the tickets:D

Thank you for the explanation! I was wondering how one would find out about dress codes, etc. I wonder if the style of dress was set by the Polo Club, or if the Queen sets the dress code herself.

Ack, wish I had seen this earlier. Trousers are not at all what you would wear to a polo match unless you are expected to hold the horse groom it or ride it. I would have suggested a dress short but below the knee with a pattern print on it with a plain hat and ribbon. And then a sensible shoe not too high and a set of gloves.

Last edited by a moderator:
Such a shame that somewhere like Guards Polo Club is advocating smart casual as acceptable dress when HM is present. If somewhere like that doesn't uphold dress standards then who will!!

Back
Top Bottom