What Languages Do The Royals Speak?

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think Astrid and Lorenz´s children all speak French, Dutch, German and the older ones English.

Princess Caroline- English, French, Italian, German

Doesn't Princess Caroline also speak Greek? I also believe she is adept at ancient Latin

Doesn't Princess Caroline also speak Greek? I also believe she is adept at ancient Latin

Just fluent in French, English, Spanish, German and Italian as far as I know.

Princess Caroline was a philosophy major so she may have taken ancient Greek and Latin at the Sorbonne. I remember Lagerfeld saying that Charlotte was learning ancient Greek in college also. She too was a philosophy major.

I wonder if the Casiraghi's speak Monagasque? I never see that mentioned as a language that any of the family speak except Prince Albert. I would think it would be required. And do the old Monegasques actually speak the language to each other?

I was wondering the liitle kids at the wedding of victoria what language they talk in between them?

Hi Fandesacs2003! Positive, prior to his marriage to HM QEII he ws known as Prince Phillip of Greece and made a point of mentioning that his children will be raised to also speak greek.

I've also recently been made aware that he also speaks German, on account of his being educated in Germany.

In addition Princess Anne in the 2004 Olympics, said that she was supporting greece. The reported asked why? she responded by saying, "Because I'm half Greek".

Hope this helps :flowers:

Are you sure??? Interesting!! Greek is nor really his mother tongue!
His mother was not Greek, she was British, Princess Alice von Battenberg (late Earl's Mountbatten sister).
His father was Greek, Prince Andrew of Greece & Denmark, son of First King of Greece George I (royal family coming from Denmark). Just fot the story, Prince Philip is first cousin with the author Michel de Grece, King George I of Greece was their grandfather.
Prince Philip was born in Greece, but when he was a baby, the Royal family was chassed from Greece. Prince Philip has been raised in Paris-St Cloud and after in UK by his maternal grandmother. He was also very close to his uncle Earl of Mountbatten (the Battenberg changed their name to be Mountbatten during the 1st WW to sound less German. He never returned back in Greece.
Prince Philip lost his father when he was abt 21.
He may speek Greek because he comes very often in Mont Athos, but I thanks he never came everywhere else in Greece.
If you know for sure some more information about his greek speaking skills, please let me know.
Thanks

He does but not in its purest form. ie He speaks Colloquial Moroccan Arabic (aka Darija), over 70% of the Vocabulary and Grammatical principles within the language are from Tamazight (Chelha variant to be precise). The remainder consists of Spanish, French and Persian vocabulary. :flowers::flowers:

King Mohamed VI doesn't speak Tamazight ( berber language) ...

Hi Fandesacs2003! Positive, prior to his marriage to HM QEII he ws known as Prince Phillip of Greece and made a point of mentioning that his children will be raised to also speak greek.

I've also recently been made aware that he also speaks German, on account of his being educated in Germany.

In addition Princess Anne in the 2004 Olympics, said that she was supporting greece. The reported asked why? she responded by saying, "Because I'm half Greek".

Hope this helps :flowers:

She is no more half Greek than the man in the moon. I doubt she ever said that. Her father's father, was Danish and German, his mother was English and German. They were part of the foreign entitiy that were elected? to the Greek throne. That makes them as Greek as standing in a garage makes you a car.

and I believe la Infanta Elena has even taught English after completing her university studies (Early Childhood Education)

Hi acdc1! Oh yes I clean forgot about that. Right you are acdc1, his mother was Princess Dagmar of Denmark and later changed her name to Marie upon her conversion to Russian Othordoxy. :flowers: :flowers:

I read in a book that he could read (and maybe speak?) some Danish as his mother was a Danish princess.

COUNTESS, there is no need to take that tone. I'm fully aware of her heritage but those were her words not mine. Furthermore I take offense at your insinuation, that I would fabricate such a thing.

I understand your point, you deem Prince Phillip not to be Greek because of his genetics, that said he was given (upon birth) Greek (and Danish) royal titles, Greek Citizenship and was baptized into Greek orthodoxy. Not only that but in the East if a person was born in one country and their parents are ethnically from another country the individual would be (in certain cases) referred to as the Nationality their country of birth with xyz ancestry.

There is one exception and that is within the Royal Court, the aforementioned would still apply but would not be mentioned except for Genealogical purposes.

Taking that same perspective HRH Prince Hamzah bin Al-Hussein of Jordan, refers to himself as Jordanian. However if one desires to be point accurate the he is: Half Jordanian from his Paternal side and a combination of Lebanese, Syrian, Swedish, Irish and English ancestry from his Maternal side.

If one really wants to be even more accurate you could say he's 3/4 Levanti and 1/4 European and Caucasian-American. Further disputes and or accuracy debates would then become somewhat irksome.

On account of this technicality should we consider him to be any less Jordanian? of course not. One wouldn't dare to call him anything else in public nor when speaking with him, out of sheer tact.

Would one also consider the Jordanian Royal family any less Jordanian in view of their Saudi Arabian (Al-Hijaz ) Origins? or for the fact that Jordan came to be after Palestine was partitioned and the majority of its territory subsequently called Trans-Jordan? of course not.

Genetics is one thing, but the way in which one perceives and subsequently interprets one's heritage (genetic or no) is quite another.

She is no more half Greek than the man in the moon. I doubt she ever said that. Her father's father, was Danish and German, his mother was English and German. They were part of the foreign entitiy that were elected? to the Greek throne. That makes them as Greek as standing in a garage makes you a car.

I reiterate the Languages spoken by the Assantehene are: Ga, French, English and other ancient Saharan variants within the Akan branch.

The following is a response to a post with incorrect information as regards The Republic of Ghana and the circumstances surrounding our road to independence and unfortunate period of the Coup D'Etat.

As was previously stated I am far more acquainted with the history and workings of my country than yourself Aidan. One does not need a 'history lesson' nor a translation of one's regions Native languages from a person whom blatantly disrespects the knowledge of a Native, in favor of Wikipedia. In addition you compounded the felony by insulting a member of the Ghanaian Royal Family (Myself) by trying to correct her intimate knowledge of her own people twice.

Ghana became a republic in April 6th 1957 but refrained from formally using the title The Republic of Ghana due to legal formalities (1960 Structural and Development Post-Colonial accords and subsequent negotiations). The aforementioned accords, were a condition for Ghana gaining its independence. It is a fact that the Ghanaian Anniversary of Independence is held April 6th every year and in 2007 Ghana Celebrated its 50th (Golden) Anniversary of Independence.

If you were as familiar with Ghanaian history as you claim then you have been able to state which of the our many Saharan languages the name Osagyefo is derived from. You might even have given detailed accounts of the vast history of our Ancient Ghanaian Empire (aka Ouagadougou), which paved the way for Present day Ghana. Moreover that said your posts suggested otherwise therefore I shall enlighten you, Osegyefo is from the ancient Akan branch of Western Saharan (not the country) linguistic families. There are innumerate sub-variants such as Chree (and not Twi as is incorrectly quoted external to Africa) Ga, Brong etc.

It appears that you also neglected to mention that Ghanaian titles are given, subject to the approval of the the Assantehene (King of the Assante Kingdom) and or one of the regional Ohene (plural of Hene (King)). In addition Ghanaian presidents aren't just elected, before they can become candidates they're Genealology and Caste are researched in order to determine suitability for the role.

All Ghanaian Presidents to date have been of Assante Royal descent. Nkrumah was overthrown by a Coup D'Etat, lead by Former President Jerry Rawlings. This was backed by former US intervention policy within the region. Nkruma was overthrown because he promoted Pan-Africanism and became a leader of international stature, advocating African economic and Political unity and non-alignment internationally. The US cited these policies as a direct threat to its interests within the continent, which reaped the wrath of Washington and was overthrown in a CIA coup in 1966. At one time Ghana was under populated because of the mass exodus during the 70 - 80's into Ivory Coast and other African and non-African States. The result of the aforementioned Coup D'Etat severely strained Ivorian-Ghanaian relations, until recently due to economic and cultural reconciliation.

Countless were affected.

Princess Iman-Roshanah bint Al-Orhan of the House of Osei of The Assante Kingdom of Ghana

Ghana actually became a republic in 1960,not 1957.When Ghana became independent in 1957,it was as a Dominion of the British Commonwealth with the Queen as head of state.Kwame Nkrumah began his rise to power when Ghana was still called the Colony of the Gold Coast.He later called himself 'Osagyefo',which means 'Redeemer' in one of the Ghanaian languages.He offended the native monarchs by trying to claim some of their titles for himself.Perhaps that is one reason why Nkrumah was overthrown in 1966.

Here's an article about Kwame Nkrumah; Kwame Nkrumah - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia .

Aidan.

King Bhumibol Adulyadej of Thailand speaks Thai of course, French, German, English and Sanskrit. He spent twelve years before his accession in Switzerland, and has translated English works to Thai.

His daughter, Princess Sirindhorn, speaks Thai, English, French, and Chinese.

For historical monarchs, Franz Joseph of the Austro-Hungarian Empire spoke native German, fluent Hungarian (a very difficult language), Czech, and a manageable Italian. (He might have known others; those are the ones I recall from Twilight of the Habsburgs.)

I am still new to this message board (and I hope sharing a youtube link is allowed); please see this link to Queen Margrethe speaking beautiful English with a British accent. Her vocabulary is flawless and she speaks so eloquently. With vidos such as these, Queen Margrethe - and Queen Beatrix and CP Victoria - are quickly becoming my favorite royal ladies!
YouTube - From her residence in south-west, Queen of Denmark talks wit

Does Henrik not speak English?

I thought he did. Danish, French and English.

I imagine he was answering a question asked in French, hence his French response.

please see this link to Queen Margrethe speaking beautiful English with a British accent. Her vocabulary is flawless and she speaks so eloquently. With vidos such as these, Queen Margrethe - and Queen Beatrix and CP Victoria - are quickly becoming my favorite royal ladies!

Also, CP Victoria speaks excellent fluent English probably from her time in America.
:)

Watching pictires of the recent wedding in Sweden, I was wondering waht languages must the Queen of Spain and the Netherlands be conversing with each other, or the CPrincesses of Spain, the Netherlands and Denmark.

Watching pictires of the recent wedding in Sweden, I was wondering waht languages must the Queen of Spain and the Netherlands be conversing with each other, or the CPrincesses of Spain, the Netherlands and Denmark.

My guess for the two Queens is German or English. :flowers:
Crownprincesses of spain and the Netherlands: spanish.

English would be my first thought. :)

I once heard Victoria, Prince of Orange, Haakon and another royal (I can't remember who) talking to each other. I could only make out a few words, because it was mumbled, but they were indeed talking to each other in English. Which is not surprising, English is usually the common ground language for almost everyone.

My guess for the two Queens is German or English. :flowers:
Crownprincesses of spain and the Netherlands: spanish.

I agree, it is probably English or German for the Queens and Spanish for the CPs

IMO he speaks just fine for someone who most propably doesn't have a lot of opportunity to practise :)

I think King Harald and his sisters speak Swedish as their mother was a Princess of Sweden.

I have read that the sisters both speak Swedish, because their mother spoke only Swedish to them when they were little - her Norwegian wasn't very good yet, and she didn't want to mess them up by teaching them the language incorrectly. However, by the time Harald arrived, she was speaking Norwegian, so he didn't learn Swedish from his mother. He can't really speak it very fluently now - he just speaks sort of a "Scandinav-ish" combination when he's in Sweden, from what I've heard. :flowers:

What languages (if any) do William & Harry speak ?? Zara & her brother?? Duke of York and his daughters?? Edward & Sophie ??

Back
Top Bottom