What Languages Do The Royals Speak?

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
kimebear said:
I know that its widely acknowledged that the Monaco royals speak accent free English, but what about their French? Does Monaco have a different dialect of French than France does? If they do, do the royals speak it without an accent as well?? I've heard them speak French, but my own French is so poor I can't tell.
I have heard the Monaco royals speak. They speak English with an American accent. Also, they speak French like the French.

chuchu said:
I have heard the Monaco royals speak. They speak English with an American accent. Also, they speak French like the French.

Thanks! I thought so, but wasn't sure.:flowers:

chuchu said:

I thought Caroline had more of a British accent when speaking English.

Monegasque language.

kimebear said:
I know that its widely acknowledged that the Monaco royals speak accent free English, but what about their French? Does Monaco have a different dialect of French than France does? If they do, do the royals speak it without an accent as well?? I've heard them speak French, but my own French is so poor I can't tell.

Kimebear,Prince Albert II of Monaco actually speaks English with an American accent.

French is the official language of Monaco.

The Monegasque people have got their own language.Here's an article; Monégasque language - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia .

Aidan.

I wonder, though...if Albert speaks with an American accent in English, which regional American accent is it? Is it a Philadelphian accent from his mother? Or perhaps the plain, un-accented American English of Nebraska or wherever...(I am referring to the fact that in either Iowa or Nebraska there is no regional accent, similar to Hannoverian German).

It sounds like it is derived from Princess Grace's American accent to me.I've never seen a video clip or heard an audio clip of Prince Albert II speaking in French or in Monegasque at all.

Aidan.

Prince Albert went to school in America too

I think it was in the North East. It's been some time since I've heard him, but I seem to recall that he has quite a flat American accent.

I don't think anyone was trying to insult anyone else in this thread. Let's not get personal in these threads. We are talking about what lanuages the royals speak.

Thanks
Lady Jennifer
Royal Chit Chat Moderator

Royalist0007 said:
It sounds like it is derived from Princess Grace's American accent to me.I've never seen a video clip or heard an audio clip of Prince Albert II speaking in French or in Monegasque at all.

Aidan.

I've hear him many many times giving interview in french, he is a perfect french speaker, native one

I've heard him also speaking Monegasque, but I can no understand.

He studied in Amhearst University in US, but I think he got his accent from his mother.

Princess Grace, never managed to well speak french, and she raised her children fully in English.

Albert and Caroline do speak a very good Italian, too.

fandesacs2003 said:
I've hear him many many times giving interview in french, he is a perfect french speaker, native one

I've heard him also speaking Monegasque, but I can no understand.

He studied in Amhearst University in US, but I think he got his accent from his mother.

Princess Grace, never managed to well speak french, and she raised her children fully in English.

We've just had to do yet another major cleanup because some posters saw fit to ignore the warning posted by Lady Jennifer a couple of days ago. Please note that the forum rules prohibit discussion of politics and religion except where they directly relate to royals. Our rules also prohibit posts promoting hate against religious and ethnic groups and posts insulting other posters. And above all, our rules require that instructions posted by moderators be complied with. If any more religious or nationalistic warfare breaks out in this thread, people can expect to be suspended for it.

Elspeth

Royal Forums administrator

A while ago, I saw an interview with Albert and in the end, he spoke a bit german. Just a few words. But he had a good pronunciation, nearly
accent-free.

flowers :flowers:

leonardinha said:
Albert and Caroline do speak a very good Italian, too.

I have some interview footage of Albert. And yes he speaks English as any American that speaks standard English.

I immediately noticed how painfully shy he appeared. He seldom looked at the camera, stammered a bit, had what appeared to be a nervous tick and was otherwise terribly insecure. The topic of his imperfections and that of his family may have had something to do with it. I was unable to find the footage to show it to this audience. If I find it will post it.

Can't say how many of his problems he has courted, but he certainly had a more difficult start than most despite his privileged birth.

foiegrass said:
Who are the royals learning Chinese?

I think Prince Henrik speaks Chinese, and Vietnamese as well.

Do you mean prince Henrik from Denmark? I admire that he knows those languages. :flowers: I didn't know that.

I also read somewhere that prince William learnt Swahili, can anyone confirm that?

Do you mean prince Henrik from Denmark? I admire that he knows those languages. :flowers: I didn't know that.

If I recall, Prince Henrik used to live in China and Vietnam. Are there any videos of royals speaking English (other than English royals, obviously.)?

I didn't know Mary could speak French.....

Pavlos and MC speak English she never learned Greek.

Prince Albert II of Monaco does not an accent of a person from Monaco I agree with other members that has an American accent. Albert speaks four lanagues English which he speaks very well, French he speaks that very well too being that is the official lanague of Monaco plus he also speaks Italian and Spainsh I have not heard him speak in any of those two lanagues but the other two English and French I have.

I forget one language the prince speaks German which makes it five lanuages Prince Albert II of Monaco speaks.

Yes Prince Henrik did indeed live in Vetnamn and China. He talked Chinese with Princess Alexandra what I have read

Queen Beatrix' grandchildren are all bilingual. Eloise, Claus-Casimir and Leonore speak Dutch and French, Luana and Zaria speak Dutch and English, and Amalia, Alexia and Ariane speak Dutch and Spanish. Well, Ariane probably doesn't speak anything yet. ;)

My idea of fluent is: being able to speak or write smoothly, easily, or readily.

And I'm sorry to disagree with you on this point: no any Belgian royal except probably Princess Astrid does master the Dutch language 'fluent'. I'm not talking about an accentless pronouncation, but really... even the King's Christmas Adress is a pain for my ears.

:neutral:

Zap with your remote to RTBF (the french-speaking channel) and hear the same King speaking French... a scandalous world of difference.

I've read that the late King Baudouin spoke Dutch like a native, as does HM Queen Fabiola. So if Baudouin was taught the language as part of his education why not Prince Albert as well? Was it because no one expected him to become King? I still think that is a poor excuse but that might explain it.

I do agree that a Belgian monarch should and must be as fluent in Dutch as he/she is in French.

Is it true that Letizia does not speak English? :eek:

I have read that she is not understanding it very well and that she cannot speak it.
She must learn it. As Queen she need to be able to communicate with foreign Royals.

I have read that she is not understanding it very well and that she cannot speak it.
She must learn it. As Queen she need to be able to communicate with foreign Royals.

I have read the same thing, that she speaks nothing except her native language and is trying to learn English. It's surprised me. A future Queen should at least be fluent in two languages and ideally several languages.
It's one of the many things that astonished me about Prince Felipe's choice of a future wife and queen.

I have read that Queen Victoria, whose mother and husband were germans, used to speak in german in the family circle and it seems that was her really first language, and she had to make an effort to learn to speak english without accent, which she could achieve.

The mother of Queen Sophia of Spain was not british, but german, and the family lived exiled in South Africa several years when the queen was a child, so that she must speak german and english since very early in her life.

I have heard of the Grimaldis, that Albert and Stephanie speak english with american accent, but Caroline and Charlotte speak perfect english but with a slight french accent, which happens to be their first language.

The euskera, the language of that region of Spain whose name in euskera is Euskadi, the vasco people, where there are terrorists (ETA) that want to be independent from the rest of Spain, that language do not belong to any family of languages. There are in Europe some languages that do not belong to any linguistic family: Euskadi, Finland (in their language Finland is called Suomi), Hungary and Turkey. :ohmy:

I think that the Princess speaks good english, otherwise when the Princess was working for TVE and had to go to USA because of the 9/11 and then to Irak she spoke in english in some of those reports, and obviously that TVE or any other good televison network would never send a person to another country, especialy those that speak english, that has to do the majoraty of his work in english.

I've read that the late King Baudouin spoke Dutch like a native, as does HM Queen Fabiola. So if Baudouin was taught the language as part of his education why not Prince Albert as well? Was it because no one expected him to become King? I still think that is a poor excuse but that might explain it.

I do agree that a Belgian monarch should and must be as fluent in Dutch as he/she is in French.

I find the Dutch of king albert II very good. He speaks it the best. With queen Paola it is a bith 'forced' but she doesn't speak French perfect either. The Dutch of prince Philippe, Laurent, Astrid is good. You can her that they sometimes have to think to find some words but for the rest it is oke. This is the same with Mathilde. I don't think princess Claire speaks good Dutch, also Laurens does not speak it very good.

The next generation of Belgian Royals will be perfect billinguel. We see it al ready with amedeo, Maria Laura when they give interviews on television. Also the rest of the childen of Astrid and Philippe will be perfect billingual. This is because they are going to a Dutch speaking school, and have dutch speaking nanny's. The childern of king albert did not went their whole school career to a Dutch speaking school. And now that changed. They start in a Ducth speaking school when they are 2,5 until the 3dyear of highschool (16year) and then they might go to a school in english or French (as Amedeo, Maria Laura and Joachim went to egland to study).

Queen Victoria Eugenia of Spain, spouse of the king Alfonso XIII, was a grand-daughter of Queen Victoria. She was made a princess by her uncle king Edward VII, so that she could marry an enthroned king. They had two sons with hemophilia, one of them the crown prince, and the second son was deaf, even without hemophilia. That embittered the marriage. I do not know if the king spoke english when they met, but she certainly learned spanish later. What language or languages do they would speak in the family circle?

What foreign language can William and Harry speak

Hi, I would like to know, what foreing language can William and Harry speak... I tried to find any information on wiki and other official web.. but I didn´t success

Back
Top Bottom