The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 11-28-2005, 01:12 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Layla1971
Is it just similar or the same except for a few unique differences, like with the Scandinavian languages?:)
I must just say that not all the Scandinavian languages is similar! Norwegian, Dainsh, Swedish, Icelandic, Samii(they speak it in Norway, Sweden and Finland) and Finnish is not similar. Swedish, Norwegian and Danish is similar. Finnish is nothing like rest of the langusges..well its a little like Samii.

Old 11-28-2005, 01:16 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaMinka
I must just say that not all the Scandinavian languages is similar! Norwegian, Dainsh, Swedish, Icelandic, Samii(they speak it in Norway, Sweden and Finland) and Finnish is not similar. Swedish, Norwegian and Danish is similar. Finnish is nothing like rest of the langusges..well its a little like Samii.
I really totally forgot about Icelandic and Finnish! I was just referring to Swedish, Danish, and Norwegian.

Old 11-28-2005, 04:05 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyemma
I dont know if Beatrix spoke German. I've read that when she and Claus first met they spoke English to each other. she may have learned it later.
They said in their engagement interview that the courtship was conducted in both English and German. I'm almost certain that German is a language commonly used in that family since there are so many Germans in it for such a long time. I've read that the young Princess Beatrix was fluent in German VERY early on (probably thanks to her dad). Besides, aren't German and Dutch very similar (in terms of pronunciation and such)?

Also, QB's English is perfect because she was very young when she was exposed to it (during the exile in Canada during WWII). Her accent has changed through the years though. I saw a video of her in the USA in 1958 and her accent was basically American/Canadian! During the English engagement interview in 1965, her accent had shifted some and it sounded a little more upper-crust. Now it's a very dignified accent that is difficult to place, but it sounds like a more rounded American and slightly British accent.
Old 11-28-2005, 04:17 PM
Heir Presumptive

[quote=SpiffyBallerina]I've read that the young Princess Beatrix was fluent in German VERY early on (probably thanks to her dad). Besides, aren't German and Dutch very similar (in terms of pronunciation and such)?

[quote]

I think the similarity is overrated. i speak dutch and I can understand german only a little if someone speaks it very very slowly and saying only simple things.

and once anyone starts with the regional accents, it's all greek to me.

i suppose it would be easier for a native dutch speaker to learn german than for say, a native french speaker, but they will have to study long and hard.
Old 11-28-2005, 04:22 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Layla1971
I really totally forgot about Icelandic and Finnish! I was just referring to Swedish, Danish, and Norwegian.
You didn't forget Scandinavia is just Norway, Denmark and Sweden. Iceland and Finland are, along with the Scandinavian countries, part of what is commonly called the Nordic countries.

And after 12 years of Norwegian classes, I can draw up a pretty language tree, showing how the various languages are related and how Finnish and Sami fits in, but I'll spare you

Speaking of Sami, I wonder how good Märtha Louise's Sami really is. I know she learned enough to read to Sami children, but does anyone know if she's taken that knowledge to another level?
Old 11-29-2005, 11:09 AM
Heir Apparent

I do not know if it has been posted, Prince Michael of Kent speaks a perfect russian
Old 11-29-2005, 11:44 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyemma
wow! that's amazing. did she ever spend any time studying there?
Not the Princess, the PRINCE!

He very often goes now, i do not about before. He is very interested about Russia, he consider as a part of his family story
Old 11-29-2005, 11:51 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by fandesacs2003
Not the Princess, the PRINCE!

He very often goes now, i do not about before. He is very interested about Russia, he consider as a part of his family story
oops. sorry, should have read more closely. you always hear so much about her and very little about him.

that's really cool. he sort of resembles the last tsar, imho.
Old 11-29-2005, 01:03 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by reeda2000
King abdullah of jordan speaks fluent english (his british mother) and also french .....he is not fluent in arabic...
King Abdullah isn't fluent in Arabic?! I know that his English is perfect, but wouldn't being unable to speak Arabic work against him in Jordan...it seems like the Jordanian people wouldn't really accept that from their king. Can anyone give any more details about KA arabic abilities?
Old 11-29-2005, 01:06 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyle
King Abdullah isn't fluent in Arabic?! I know that his English is perfect, but wouldn't being unable to speak Arabic work against him in Jordan...it seems like the Jordanian people wouldn't really accept that from their king. Can anyone give any more details about KA arabic abilities?
he seemed a little uncomfortable speaking arabic when he first ascended the throne (though that is not to say he wasnt fluent)but now he uses the language so much its not problem for him anymore
Old 11-29-2005, 02:38 PM
Courtier

It must be all that facial hair in the same style. Their face shapes are very similar too.
Old 11-29-2005, 02:41 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiffyBallerina
It must be all that facial hair in the same style. Their face shapes are very similar too.
true but those noses are all also extremely similar!
Old 02-20-2006, 11:59 PM
Heir Apparent

I think Spanish is a very difficult language to master, specially for those coming from europeans countries, that languages come from a common branch: english, dutch, german, etc while spanish comes from the latin branch that groups french, italian, portuguese, etc.

Spanish is hard because involves soo many grammar rules, much more than english does and the language itself is incredibly rich, sometimes a word in english means an entire phrase in Spanish, so it's hard for those who don't come from a "latin" country.

That's maybe the reason why many european royals aren't fluent in spanish, besides as we latins say, spanish isn't a language, it's an experience, you probably won't learn spanish very well taking classes as you do with english because many of the language characteristics and speaking is all about knowing where you are, it really changes from one country to another, I'm Colombian and sometimes I can't get the expressions from a Peruvian person and our countries are right next to each other .

I believe nowadays the "in-languages" are english, spanish and mandarin, so good look to all our beloved royals learning chinese
Old 03-25-2006, 02:42 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by reeda2000
King abdullah of jordan speaks fluent english (his british mother) and also french .....he is not fluent in arabic..his wife Queen Rania speaks arabic and english ...not fluent in french...
How is it that a king of an arab country isn't fluent in arabic? And woot! for chinese!
Old 03-25-2006, 11:09 PM
Nobility

Princess Stephanie of Monaco speaks English fluently with no accent at all its very American.
Old 03-25-2006, 11:12 PM
Nobility

I've read that Princess Caroline speaks 5 languages fluently. They are english,french,spanish,italian,german. I also heard that she speaks in english with an American accent just like her brother and sister.
Old 03-25-2006, 11:18 PM
Nobility

[quote=crisiñaki]That's maybe the reason why many european royals aren't fluent in spanish, Not true. :) Princess Caroline of Monaco I belive speaks fluent Spanish. I've read she speaks 5 languages fluently and Spanish was metioned several times.:) :)
Old 03-25-2006, 11:20 PM
Nobility

Hi would anybody happen to have a video clip of Princess Caroline speaking English,because I've only heard her speaking French. Thanks.
Old 03-26-2006, 01:20 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by De La Cruza
That's maybe the reason why many european royals aren't fluent in spanish, Not true. :) Princess Caroline of Monaco I belive speaks fluent Spanish. I've read she speaks 5 languages fluently and Spanish was metioned several times.:) :)
I've said many, not all royals
Old 03-26-2006, 04:50 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaPlusBelle
How is it that a king of an arab country isn't fluent in arabic? And woot! for chinese!
I saw him on TV speak Good Arabic but I remamber his first year as king he wasn't that good in stander arabic but I think he improved in that , Stander Arabic not very easy to speak not every one can speak it good .