The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 10-12-2005, 11:38 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roshanah
Don't forget to include Tamazight:)
King Mohamed VI doesn't speak Tamazight ( berber language) ...

Old 10-13-2005, 12:16 AM
Nobility

Hi Amira!:) He doesn't...that's odd but he grew up in Morocco didn't he. As MSA couldn't be used in the street. Didn't he grow up speaking any form of Berber?:Tarifit, Tashelhiyt?

The reason I ask is because, from what I understood King Muhammad VI is half Berber and naturally thought that he would have had to have spoken a form of Berber.

Maybe you could shed some light upon this subject? Thanks in advance:)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amira
King Mohamed VI doesn't speak Tamazight ( berber language) ...

Old 10-13-2005, 12:29 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marengo
Queen Beatrix speaks dutch, english, french, german and italian (and according to pollyemma also a bit of dansish... she stayed at the danish court in the 70-ties for a while, in order to see how she could reorganise her own court when she became queen, so meaybe she picked some things up).
Where did you hear this? I've never heard of (then) Crown Princess Beatrix going to Queen Margrethe's court for any period of time.
Old 10-13-2005, 02:15 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Crown Prince Billah of Brunei speaks English, Brunei Malay and Arabic. His Wife Crown Princess Sarah Al-Billah speaks Brunei Malay, Arabic, English and Swiss.
Which one of switzerland language she speaks French one or german one?
Old 10-20-2005, 09:27 PM
Nobility

Hi! Sorry for the late reply. The Bruneian website says that Crown Princess Sarah's Mother speaks both French and German.:)

Here's the link : http://bruneistudent.com/board/lofiv...hp/t12251.html :) Official website of Brunei:)

Quote:
Originally Posted by galuhcandrakirana
Which one of switzerland language she speaks French one or german one?
Old 11-27-2005, 07:26 PM
Gentry

Queen Paola of Belgium fluently speaks French,Italian,English,and German. Her Flemish Dutch is very weak though.
Old 11-27-2005, 08:39 PM
Aristocracy

I am quite surprised that the Spanish royals are apparently fluent in English. I travelled around Spain for two weeks and my experience tells me that English is not very widely spoken in Spain, not even in tourist areas.

Or may be they just get very fed up with tourists trying to speak English to them so they pretend they don't understand! LOL!
Old 11-28-2005, 07:25 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by melissajames
I am quite surprised that the Spanish royals are apparently fluent in English. I travelled around Spain for two weeks and my experience tells me that English is not very widely spoken in Spain, not even in tourist areas.

Or may be they just get very fed up with tourists trying to speak English to them so they pretend they don't understand! LOL!
The Queen Sofia speaks in English with her children from children, they are totally bilingual from the infancy.
Old 11-28-2005, 08:48 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
The Duke of Edinburgh also speaks Greek. His mother tongue.
Are you sure??? Interesting!! Greek is nor really his mother tongue!
His mother was not Greek, she was British, Princess Alice von Battenberg (late Earl's Mountbatten sister).
His father was Greek, Prince Andrew of Greece & Denmark, son of First King of Greece George I (royal family coming from Denmark). Just fot the story, Prince Philip is first cousin with the author Michel de Grece, King George I of Greece was their grandfather.
Prince Philip was born in Greece, but when he was a baby, the Royal family was chassed from Greece. Prince Philip has been raised in Paris-St Cloud and after in UK by his maternal grandmother. He was also very close to his uncle Earl of Mountbatten (the Battenberg changed their name to be Mountbatten during the 1st WW to sound less German. He never returned back in Greece.
Prince Philip lost his father when he was abt 21.
He may speek Greek because he comes very often in Mont Athos, but I thanks he never came everywhere else in Greece.
If you know for sure some more information about his greek speaking skills, please let me know.
Thanks
Old 11-28-2005, 09:45 AM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by lula
The Queen Sofia speaks in English with her children from children, they are totally bilingual from the infancy.
Yes, and besides that, both Prince Felipe and Infanta Cristina took their Masters in the USA (she was in New York University and he went to Washington's Georgetown University).
Old 11-28-2005, 11:57 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by melissajames

You made me laugh! xD Ok, it's true that spanish people don't consider English like a important or serious language... We have two official languages and that makes it a little bite difficult, also is we learn very slow, you can imagine? I'm in the last year of school (so, I think is a 12º grade in USA) and we studied Condicionals, Passive and Reported Speech last year!!! So I'm not surprised... Also you can imagine how bad is our English level because I'm the person who have the most high mark in English in all my grade :p
And yes, actually they speak very good English but it is weird because no one member of the royal family (except Infanta Cristina) speak catalan, euskera or gallego (well, I hate the on-line translators and I don't know how translate this ) that are spoke by milions of people in Spain, for example Catalan is spoke for 6 millions and that doesn't include Valenciano... So it's really weird...
Old 11-28-2005, 12:05 PM
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiffyBallerina
Where did you hear this? I've never heard of (then) Crown Princess Beatrix going to Queen Margrethe's court for any period of time.
I have read this in several dutch books and it is told in several dutch documentaries abput Queen Beatrix. I assume it is true.
Old 11-28-2005, 12:07 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by bct88
Queen Beatrix speaks Danish? I've never heard that before. What would be her reason for learning Danish? I know she speaks German, English, and French apart from Dutch, but Danish?
she must have learned Danish in school. I've read in various magazines that she speaks danish. I'm afraid they were all hardcopies and some time ago so I dont think I can furnish any proof in the form of links. a journalist friend of mine who covers the royal family told me Beatrix had done an "internship" with Margarethe to see how her court works.

also, Beatrix could be seen clearly singing along to all the hymns at M and F's wedding.

I dont know if Beatrix spoke German. I've read that when she and Claus first met they spoke English to each other. she may have learned it later.

BTW, Maxima was speaking French on her recent trip to Morocco.
Old 11-28-2005, 12:19 PM
Heir Apparent

Princess Marie of Liechtenstein - German, French, English.

Princes and Princesses of Luxembourg (childrens of Jean and Josephine-Charloote) - Letzeburgesch, French, English, German.
Old 11-28-2005, 12:33 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnik
Princess Marie of Liechtenstein - German, French, English.

Princes and Princesses of Luxembourg (childrens of Jean and Josephine-Charloote) - Letzeburgesch, French, English, German.
I'd be happy to apologize if I'm wrong, but I think the official language name is 'Luxembourgish', but I could be wrong!:)

Old 11-28-2005, 12:35 PM
Heir Apparent

Yes, but letzeburgesh it's other name of it.:)
Old 11-28-2005, 12:36 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by ally_cooper
And yes, actually they speak very good English but it is weird because no one member of the royal family (except Infanta Cristina) speak catalan, euskera or gallego (well, I hate the on-line translators and I don't know how translate this ) that are spoke by milions of people in Spain, for example Catalan is spoke for 6 millions and that doesn't include Valenciano... So it's really weird...
They are the Spanish Royal Family not only of Catalonia, and in Catalonia the Spanish is also an official language. Not that languages know more or less, but their official language is the Spanish, who is the one that the Spanish speak for the most part that we are 44 millions.
To know these languages they would turn out to be slightly useful, though the Prince if he speaks something about Catalan. So much the Catalan how the Galician they are languages derived from the Latin and look like enough the Spanish. The euskera is difficult enough and people speak it even less. Those languages are only spoken in those territories and not in the rest of Spain. The Spanish is the official language of the State, although those languages are Co-officials. In spite of that in his speeches in those provinces always they introduce phrases in those languages.

As for the English, nowadays the children study English and French in the college, but 30 years ago, the things were different.

Nowadays the things have changed in the world, and the Spanish is a language that advances express.
Old 11-28-2005, 12:39 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Yes, but letzeburgesh it's other name of it.:)
Is that because it's very similar to German?

Old 11-28-2005, 12:51 PM
Heir Apparent

Yes, and I always thought that in Louxembourg people talks on Germa.

Greets:)
Old 11-28-2005, 12:57 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Yes, and I always thought that in Louxembourg people talks on Germa.

Greets:)
Is it just similar or the same except for a few unique differences, like with the Scandinavian languages?:)