The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 03-19-2017, 04:55 PM
Heir Apparent

If William and Catherine want their children to speak Spanish, they'll send them to a Spanish immersion school where they speak the language hours a day. Which is really the only way to learn a language.

Nanny Maria teaching them how to say apple or to count to five is hardly going to make them fluent.

Old 03-19-2017, 05:00 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudolph View Post
If William and Catherine want their children to speak Spanish, they'll send them to a Spanish immersion school where the speak the language hours a day. Which is really the only way to learn a language.

Nanny Maria teaching them how to say apple or to count to five is hardly going to make them fluent.
As someone who has learnt several languages to varying degrees of fluency, immersion is not the only way - and for a tiny minority it isn't the best.

You're right - teaching someone to say apple or count to 5 doesn't make someone fluent. But I believe the original post suggested that she speaks to them in Spanish (we have no proof that is the case) - if she does then they can achieve fluency, especially given their age.

Old 03-19-2017, 05:23 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florestane View Post
I know that - I was questioning the suggestion that the children don't spend enough time with her to pick up any Spanish from Ms Borrallo.

Who knows? She may speak to them in English - seems a wasted opportunity to me if she does so exclusively. Time will tell...
Sorry my arrows were for Rudolph not you. He was the last post when I started typing. You beat me. It wasn't intended as a response to you.
Old 03-19-2017, 05:42 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countessmeout View Post
Sorry my arrows were for Rudolph not you. He was the last post when I started typing. You beat me. It wasn't intended as a response to you.
No problem. 😊
Old 03-19-2017, 06:48 PM
Heir Apparent

Off topic, but people learn languages in lots of ways. Most easily for anyone before you turn about 7, but for people with the right brain wiring well beyond that.
I learned the most coversational Spanish not from classes/tapes but from a term long class on the films of Louis Bunuel. By the 5th or 6th week, I was not relying on the subtitles. Amazing when you think about it.
Old 03-19-2017, 07:37 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
I don't believe that it should be a requirement to speak a foreign language but that ability in and of itself is something that is an accomplishment. Since joining TRF, I was truly amazed at how many people here can write so eloquently in English and knowing its not their native language. Although I did take 3 years of high school French and a semester in college, I would be very hard pressed to hold a conversation in that language today.

People on the world stage do the countries that they're visiting a nice honor when they speak and are able to address the people a bit in their native language and even if they flub it up, its the effort that's appreciated and not the fluency of the language.

Will and Kate will do just fine in Paris regardless of the ability to speak French.
With all due respect, there is a very large difference between any ordinary citizen and a monarch or senior member of a Royal Family. In addition, a monarch tends to stick around for a far longer period of time than a temporary president and their fleeting position, so what they do, don't, can and can't matters a lot more.

The ability of Their Royal Highnesses to survive in Paris is not in question. It is far more interesting to consider that when they become King and Queen of Canada, an official French-speaking nation, where every political and social leader is required to at least attempt to use both languages, and where it is quite common in speeches and so forth to switch between the languages, it will be seen as less inclusive to have a monarch and consort unable to use the language.
Is it a requirement? No. Is it outdated to learn French because it was once the language of courts and higher classes? Sure, but that's not why a working knowledge of French is more important for the Windsors than for us here on TRF, or many other Royal Houses. It is more important because they're not the British Royal Family, they're the Commonwealth Royal Family, where French is the 2nd largest language, official in 10 nations. It's important because the Royal Family of Canada has to master both languages if it is to have enough legitimacy to not be seriously threatened by republican movements.

Much can be said about learning languages. Some people struggle more than others, but very, very few will be completely unable to. If you're motivated, you will almost always succeed. French is not particularly difficult for an English-speaker to learn, especially one with access to tutors and all kinds of assistance.

Obviously, there is a difference between fluency and learning phrases to be respectful when being overseas. When Her Majesty went to Ireland and greeted the president and guests in flawless Irish Gaelic, it showed more respect and healed more wounds than much else could had done. However, when the Queen or other members of the Royal Family is in Canada, they're not overseas, they're at home, in one of their realms, and speaking in French is one of the ways they show just that: They're home, and they're Canadian.
Old 03-19-2017, 08:02 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyRohan View Post
It's important because the Royal Family of Canada has to master both languages if it is to have enough legitimacy to not be seriously threatened by republican movements.
When William was in Quebec in 2011 he received kudos and applause for using French. Huge crowds came out to see the Cambridges.

When Charles was in Quebec in 2009, riot police had to be called out to keep anti-monarchy protesters from overrunning an army hall where Charles was doing an engagement.

It doesn't seem like Charles ability to speak French is keeping republican movement down.
Old 03-19-2017, 08:40 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyRohan View Post
With all due respect, there is a very large difference between any ordinary citizen and a monarch or senior member of a Royal Family. In addition, a monarch tends to stick around for a far longer period of time than a temporary president and their fleeting position, so what they do, don't, can and can't matters a lot more.

The ability of Their Royal Highnesses to survive in Paris is not in question. It is far more interesting to consider that when they become King and Queen of Canada, an official French-speaking nation, where every political and social leader is required to at least attempt to use both languages, and where it is quite common in speeches and so forth to switch between the languages, it will be seen as less inclusive to have a monarch and consort unable to use the language.
Is it a requirement? No. Is it outdated to learn French because it was once the language of courts and higher classes? Sure, but that's not why a working knowledge of French is more important for the Windsors than for us here on TRF, or many other Royal Houses. It is more important because they're not the British Royal Family, they're the Commonwealth Royal Family, where French is the 2nd largest language, official in 10 nations. It's important because the Royal Family of Canada has to master both languages if it is to have enough legitimacy to not be seriously threatened by republican movements.

Much can be said about learning languages. Some people struggle more than others, but very, very few will be completely unable to. If you're motivated, you will almost always succeed. French is not particularly difficult for an English-speaker to learn, especially one with access to tutors and all kinds of assistance.

Obviously, there is a difference between fluency and learning phrases to be respectful when being overseas. When Her Majesty went to Ireland and greeted the president and guests in flawless Irish Gaelic, it showed more respect and healed more wounds than much else could had done. However, when the Queen or other members of the Royal Family is in Canada, they're not overseas, they're at home, in one of their realms, and speaking in French is one of the ways they show just that: They're home, and they're Canadian.
JMO - but is is equally important then, that the BRF speak any of the First People's Languages flawlessly in Canada. I agree that it's not just French that counts.

I just think that on a diplomatic level that we are now so multilingual, that it's really hard to ask a public figure to be fluent or to rank order the importance of the fluencies. Especially so for the Commonwealth. Or the Eurozone. Which seem to be where we think the royals should focus; even that may be a false focus.

I'm just sure that Malaysians, Egyptians, Indians, Mongolians, etc think diplomatic representatives should also speak to them in their language. It's not as simple as it was even 20 years ago.
Old 06-02-2017, 11:13 PM
Heir Presumptive

A bit of Princess Mako's speech in English during her Bhutan visit. Starts at 0:30
Old 06-02-2017, 11:33 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmirerUS View Post
JMO - but is is equally important then, that the BRF speak any of the First People's Languages flawlessly in Canada. I agree that it's not just French that counts.

I just think that on a diplomatic level that we are now so multilingual, that it's really hard to ask a public figure to be fluent or to rank order the importance of the fluencies. Especially so for the Commonwealth. Or the Eurozone. Which seem to be where we think the royals should focus; even that may be a false focus.

I'm just sure that Malaysians, Egyptians, Indians, Mongolians, etc think diplomatic representatives should also speak to them in their language. It's not as simple as it was even 20 years ago.

You can never be able to be expected to speak every single language in a country. Buy speaking two languages is hardly much to ask. There are only two official languages in the queen's realm, English and French. Only two. N most schools, kids are expected to learn a second language. For a family who has the resources, the tutors and the Time to learn a second language there is really no excuse to not know a second.

Foreign royals seem to be able to manage several languages. what good reason is there for them not to bother?

Learning a second language is much more simple then twenty years ago. A lot more access to study. And with royals doing less ground travel work, more time.
Old 06-02-2017, 11:39 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countessmeout View Post
You can never be able to be expected to speak every single language in a country. Buy speaking two languages is hardly much to ask. There are only two official languages in the queen's realm, English and French. Only two.
Maori is also an official language in New Zealand, isn't it ? I suppose it was trickier when HM was still queen of South Africa, Ceylon and Pakistan for example. I wonder if she ever learned Urdu, Tamil, Afrikaans, etc.

BTW, shouldn't the Queen also speak Welsh ?
Old 06-03-2017, 12:26 AM
Imperial Majesty

Not to mention Cornish and Scottish Gaelic?

What about all the indigenous languages in Australia? (There are around 900 of them by the way).
Old 08-11-2017, 02:17 AM
Majesty

It seems Victoria knows German fluently. However there are very little videos of her speaking German, Including Madeleine. The ones that I have seen have her speaking very few words from her. Also does anyone have videos of Silvia and Victoria speaking French?
Old 08-11-2017, 02:58 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
Maori is also an official language in New Zealand, isn't it ? I suppose it was trickier when HM was still queen of South Africa, Ceylon and Pakistan for example. I wonder if she ever learned Urdu, Tamil, Afrikaans, etc.

BTW, shouldn't the Queen also speak Welsh ?
How are you even comparing French to welsh, Gaelic or Cornish?

The Uk only has one official language and that is English. In all its territories. Welsh was granted de facto status a few years ago. De facto as it is spoken by a very limited population.

Maori is the same. It is a de facto language. It is only spoken by less then 5% of the people of NZ, not enough to be considered an official.

French is an official language spoken by millions of people. Big difference.

But by all means, if Maori are upset the queen doesn't speak their tongue, they are entitled to their feelings. As I am as a Canadian, that she should speak French.

Royals, even a monarch, have plenty if down time. And all the money for tutors. Shame they don't use it.
Old 08-21-2017, 01:04 AM
Majesty

Letizia speaking English and French

Speaking Catalan

Old 08-25-2017, 04:44 AM
Gentry

I don't think Countess Alexandra is fluent in Chinese/Cantonese as I have read that she said Prince Hernik's Chinese is even better than her. It is quite common that people like Alexandra (who has non-Chinese descent) cannot speak fluent or any Chinese/Cantonese in Hong Kong.
Old 08-25-2017, 05:54 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by W.Y.CII View Post
I don't think Countess Alexandra is fluent in Chinese/Cantonese as I have read that she said Prince Hernik's Chinese is even better than her. It is quite common that people like Alexandra (who has non-Chinese descent) cannot speak fluent or any Chinese/Cantonese in Hong Kong.
Just a small correction - Alexandras paternal grandfather was half British and half Chinese giving her a few drops of Chinese blood. Her parents also have French, German and Czech ancestry.
Old 08-25-2017, 12:55 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR76 View Post
Just a small correction - Alexandras paternal grandfather was half British and half Chinese giving her a few drops of Chinese blood. Her parents also have French, German and Czech ancestry.
thanks. I should say it clearer
Old 09-23-2017, 05:28 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Mary speech at Global Goals Awards 2017

in this video, mary speaks french at the end of it as she decided to thank the awardee in french by saying in broken french with an english accent 'merci bernard pour tout votre travail' (thanks for all your work). i remember how it was said that mary lived in france and taught english at the start of her relationship with frederik, to be closer to denmark, so it was speculated that she spoke some french and we wondered for a while if this was the case, but the video confirms that this was not the case.
http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/
Take some time to sign the petitions @: http://www.thepetitionsite.com/animal-welfare/all
Old 10-06-2017, 03:40 PM
Heir Presumptive

Princess Ayako speaking English at the 50th anniversary of Canada’s Nikka Yuko Japanese Garden. Her speech starts around 1:38