The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 08-26-2015, 01:33 PM
Serene Highness

Prince Philip speaks German, on the recent state visit to Germany he spoke to those he met without a translator, whereas the Queen relied on an interpreter.

I've read somewhere that Princess Anne speaks French and German, I believe both Charles and Anne were taught these languages growing up.

(edit - apparently Anne spent a week in France as a child where she was only allowed to speak French - http://royalmusingsblogspotcom.blogs...cess-anne.html)

I'm pretty sure the Queen does not speak Irish Gaelic but learnt the phrase used at the start of her speech during her state visit. This is not a criticism, I just don't know if you can say she speaks it simply because she learnt one phrase.

I wonder if maybe Andrew and Edward weren't taught French growing up, Edward and Sophie were certainly spotted learning French a few years ago, about the time they started doing more public duties after the Golden Jubilee. I wonder if they started learning it (or maybe refreshing their knowledge of it) knowing it might be helpful for their official duties.

Old 08-26-2015, 02:26 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy100 View Post
Prince Philip speaks German, on the recent state visit to Germany he spoke to those he met without a translator, whereas the Queen relied on an interpreter.

I've read somewhere that Princess Anne speaks French and German, I believe both Charles and Anne were taught these languages growing up.

(edit - apparently Anne spent a week in France as a child where she was only allowed to speak French - Royal Musings: French camp for Princess Anne)

I'm pretty sure the Queen does not speak Irish Gaelic but learnt the phrase used at the start of her speech during her state visit. This is not a criticism, I just don't know if you can say she speaks it simply because she learnt one phrase.

I wonder if maybe Andrew and Edward weren't taught French growing up, Edward and Sophie were certainly spotted learning French a few years ago, about the time they started doing more public duties after the Golden Jubilee. I wonder if they started learning it (or maybe refreshing their knowledge of it) knowing it might be helpful for their official duties.
I imagine Andrew and Edward were taught French at school - it's pretty standard in the UK for children to learn french at school. I remember seeing photos of Edward and Sophie leaving with French textbooks, but I found it odd that they chose to learn it fluently given that when they attend foreign weddings and such, everyone else can speak English.

I imagine that the Queen's grandchildren can speak basic French as they were all likely taught it at school.

Old 08-26-2015, 02:32 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molly2101 View Post
I imagine Andrew and Edward were taught French at school - it's pretty standard in the UK for children to learn french at school. I remember seeing photos of Edward and Sophie leaving with French textbooks, but I found it odd that they chose to learn it fluently given that when they attend foreign weddings and such, everyone else can speak English.

I imagine that the Queen's grandchildren can speak basic French as they were all likely taught it at school.
Well, maybe they just learned french as a hobby and something to do together :)
Old 08-26-2015, 02:34 PM
Serene Highness

I think, personally, there is a difference between learning French at school and being able to speak it to a good level. The UK is where i was born and live and I learnt French at school but wouldn't say I speak French, I know a few phrases and like anything, the more I speak the better I get but put me in France or Canada and expect me to hold a conversation in French and I wouldn't be able to.

If I recall correctly Edward and Sophie may have started learning French after Sophie's ectopic pregnancy so maybe it was a way to distract themselves and to do something as a couple. I'm sure, even if they had learnt French at school, a bit of revision and continued practice would be beneficial.
Old 08-26-2015, 02:41 PM
Courtier

Prince Luiz, Head of the Imperial House of Brazil sepeaking German (with a French accent, in my opinon).

His mother the late Princess Maria (1914-2011), was born a Princess of Bavaria, and Prince Luiz studied Chemistry at the University of Munich.

Besides Portuguese, French and German, the Prince understands English, Spanish and Italian.

Princess Isabel (1846-1921), Princess Imperial and Regent of the Empire of Brazil, after she signed the Golden Law, in 1888, abolishing slavery in Brazil.
Old 08-26-2015, 03:35 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
I think, personally, there is a difference between learning French at school and being able to speak it to a good level. The UK is where i was born and live and I learnt French at school but wouldn't say I speak French, I know a few phrases and like anything, the more I speak the better I get but put me in France or Canada and expect me to hold a conversation in French and I wouldn't be able to.

If I recall correctly Edward and Sophie may have started learning French after Sophie's ectopic pregnancy so maybe it was a way to distract themselves and to do something as a couple. I'm sure, even if they had learnt French at school, a bit of revision and continued practice would be beneficial.
I agree. I took 6 (!) years of spanish in school, now 4 years later I can barely introduce myself. And I had good grades in it. It's insane how fast you loose it unless you use it (or have a very natural talent for language)
Old 08-26-2015, 03:39 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molly2101 View Post

I think Sophie and Edward likely were brushing up on their French, because I'm pretty sure they both had some experience with it already (I know Sophie had studied French in school because she mentioned it in an interview a long time ago; also, before she met Edward, she had spent some time working as a ski rep at a resort Switzerland, and was apparently required to know some French. I'm sure that Edward, like pretty much everyone else in the royal family, studied some French in school as well). I don't know when the picture of them with French textbooks is from, but several of the events they've attended abroad have been in countries that are at least partially French-speaking (Monaco, Canada, Luxembourg, and I know they've visited France.)

Certainly they don't need to know French, especially not for the royal weddings, but if they already have a background in it, it can't hurt to brush up on things. I've bought French textbooks to brush up on my French skills in my spare time, even though I have no need to speak French whatsoever. It's just a hobby, and it's always nice to at least have some familiarity with another language.
Old 08-26-2015, 04:13 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cris M View Post
Prince Luiz, Head of the Imperial House of Brazil sepeaking German (with a French accent, in my opinon).

His mother the late Princess Maria (1914-2011), was born a Princess of Bavaria, and Prince Luiz studied Chemistry at the University of Munich.

Besides Portuguese, French and German, the Prince understands English, Spanish and Italian.
The Prince has an accent but his German is excellent.
Old 08-26-2015, 04:33 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair View Post
The Prince has an accent but his German is excellent.
Thank you for the clarification, my German is quite rudimentary, but I could understand what he said.

Prince Luiz has a bit of a French accent even when speaking Portuguese:

Princess Isabel (1846-1921), Princess Imperial and Regent of the Empire of Brazil, after she signed the Golden Law, in 1888, abolishing slavery in Brazil.
Old 08-26-2015, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hernameispekka View Post
I agree. I took 6 (!) years of spanish in school, now 4 years later I can barely introduce myself. And I had good grades in it. It's insane how fast you loose it unless you use it (or have a very natural talent for language)
It's the same with me, and I'm technically Hispanic. Schools really do a pretty poor job at teaching languages, if you genuinely want to learn it you need to put matters into your own hands. The skills that I've conquered in Spanish recently have all been through my own attempts rather than stuff I've been taught in school.

And considering how long it's been since the British royals been in school, I wouldn't be surprised if they've forgotten a lot of stuff and only remember about 10% of the stuff they learned in French class which wouldn't even leave you with a basic understanding of French. That's always how it was for me with Spanish.
Old 08-27-2015, 11:04 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isabella View Post
I think Sophie and Edward likely were brushing up on their French, because I'm pretty sure they both had some experience with it already (I know Sophie had studied French in school because she mentioned it in an interview a long time ago; also, before she met Edward, she had spent some time working as a ski rep at a resort Switzerland, and was apparently required to know some French. I'm sure that Edward, like pretty much everyone else in the royal family, studied some French in school as well). I don't know when the picture of them with French textbooks is from, but several of the events they've attended abroad have been in countries that are at least partially French-speaking (Monaco, Canada, Luxembourg, and I know they've visited France.)

Certainly they don't need to know French, especially not for the royal weddings, but if they already have a background in it, it can't hurt to brush up on things. I've bought French textbooks to brush up on my French skills in my spare time, even though I have no need to speak French whatsoever. It's just a hobby, and it's always nice to at least have some familiarity with another language.
The photos here are from 2005.
Old 08-27-2015, 11:25 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isabella View Post
[...]
Certainly they don't need to know French, especially not for the royal weddings, [....].
The various royal weddings in the Houses of Belgium, Luxembourg and Monaco were predominantly in French. Unitil the 1970's even the Dutch Royal House employed two Court Chaplains: one from the Protestant Church in the Netherlands and one from the Église Wallonne (also Protestant but in the French language).
Old 08-27-2015, 11:33 AM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

Quote:
I didn't say that she spoke the whole language in my post. I just said "… and she also spoke Irish Gaelic when she visit Ireland in 2011". It was meant as more of an extra fact.

But you're correct, just because someone says a phrase in a certain language doesn't mean they can speak the whole language. I know a few phrases in Spanish and German, but it doesn't make me fluent in either language. In fact, I'm far from it haha. It's also quite easy to pick up languages when you go to a non-English speaking country. Most of the little Spanish I know has been picked up on holidays to Spanish speaking places.

"Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy". Anne Frank
Old 08-27-2015, 11:37 AM
Courtier

Princess Christine of Brazil (née Princess of Ligne) speaking Portuguese:

The Princess of Ligne (née Princess Eleonora of Brazil) speaking French:

Princess Christine is fluent in French, German, English, Spanish and Portuguese. And it should be noted that she only started learning Portuguese at the age of 26, after she married Prince Antonio and came to live in Brazil. She speaks Portuguese with almost no accent.

The Princess of Ligne is fluent in Portuguese, French, German and English. She learned French as a child.

Old 08-27-2015, 12:13 PM
Heir Apparent

When the Princess is fluent in German, we may assume she understands Dutch as well, the major language of her native homeland, Belgium.
Old 08-27-2015, 12:26 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair View Post
When the Princess is fluent in German, we may assume she understands Dutch as well, the major language of her native homeland, Belgium.
I know the then Princess Christine of Ligne spent some time living in Munich, in order to improve her German.

Her nephew, Hereditary Prince Henri of Ligne speaks Dutch. He studied Law at the University of Maastricht.

Old 09-08-2015, 08:21 PM
Majesty

sofia giving a speech in english:

Prinsessan Sofia hyllades för sitt tal pĺ Global Child Forum i Sydafrika | Nyheter | Expressen
http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/
Take some time to sign the petitions @: http://www.thepetitionsite.com/animal-welfare/all
Old 10-16-2015, 05:57 PM
Heir Apparent

Grand Duke Georgi of Russia speaks Russian, English, French and Spanish.

Source: H.I.H. the Heir, Tsesarevich, and Grand Duke George of Russia

His mother, Grand Duchess Maria Wladimirovna of Russia speaks Russian, English, French, Spanish fluently and speaks and reads German, Italian and Arabic.

Source: Head of the Russian Imperial House, Her Imperial Highness the Grand Duchess (de jure Empress of all the russias) Maria Wladimirovna
I had a dream: Let's connect our thoughts together, than we have a mission, let's connect our feelings together, than we have a mood, let's connect our dreams together, than we have a vision and let's connect our mission, our mood and our vision together than we have a perfect life.
Old 10-21-2015, 05:09 PM
Heir Apparent

I do not know of it has been posted. I found this short video of the Prince of Wales speaking French
https://youtu.be/mYZmlG5rIAs
Old 12-19-2015, 02:26 PM
Royal Highness

Bhutan's Queen speaks english: