The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 07-28-2013, 06:19 AM
Royal Highness

Elisabeth, Gabriel, Emmmanuel, Eleonore of Belgium speak French, Flemish (Dutch) and are learning English.
Christian, Isabella, Vincent, Josephine of Denmark speak Danish, English and are probably learning French.
Amalia, Alexia, Ariane of The Netherlands speak Dutch, Spanish and English.
Aiko and cousins Mako, Kako, Hisahito of Japan speak Japanese and English.
Moulay Hassan, Lalla Khadija of Morrocco speak Arabic, French and English.
Ingrid Alexandra, Sverre Magnus of Norway speak Norwegian and English.
Estelle of Sweden speaks now Swedish and will learn English.
Leonor, Sofia of Spain speak Spanish, English and are learning Chinese Mandarin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucien View Post
Now,..how,many languages does any of you speak...without a fat accent that is..?..
Besides my mother tongue portuguese, I speak English but with portuguese accent, I speak Spanish but my accent changes when I speak only with spanish people and start to think in spanish, but when I don't speak spanish in a while, my accent when I try to speak it again is terrible, weird isn't it? I think my mind and tongue needs to adapt first it seems. Besides those three languages, I speak Japanese without any accent and I'm learning Korean, it's hard, but I'm gradually taking away my accent.
I learnt French at school, but I'm not great with that language because I dislike it, but I can understand it overall. The same applies to chinese, I didn't like the language so I dropped my chinese mandarin classes.

Italian is a beautiful language, I once tried to learn, but I dropped it because it clashes with my spanish and it confuses me.

Languages I would like to speak or I'm interested in is Arabic and the Scandinavian languages. But Korean takes priority now.

Old 07-28-2013, 11:51 AM
Nobility

The kids are so talented but I find it interesting that only the infantas are learning Chinese since there has been an increasing number of foreigners learning that language for different reasons and its getting more popular lol

Old 11-18-2013, 01:27 PM
Heir Apparent

here's a video from about a year ago where we can hear letizia speaking in english.

http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/
Take some time to sign the petitions @: http://www.thepetitionsite.com/animal-welfare/all
Old 11-19-2013, 12:31 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by christythedreamer View Post
The kids are so talented but I find it interesting that only the infantas are learning Chinese since there has been an increasing number of foreigners learning that language for different reasons and its getting more popular lol
I too find this interesting! Good choice as far as I am concerned.
Old 11-19-2013, 12:42 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Vimaranes View Post
Sometime ago I found those videos of The Queen of Sweden talking in portuguese. Her Majesty spent a part of her childhood living in Brazil, and her mother was brazilian.

Her Majesty speaks portuguese very well!
Queen Silvia is a polyglot who was working as an interpreter at the 1972 Olympic Games in Munich when she met Carl-Gustaf. I think she speaks at least 6 languages fluently and flawlessly.

I am surprised and pleased to see CP Letizia speaking English. At the time of her wedding I read that she only spoke Spanish.
Old 11-19-2013, 12:50 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daria_S View Post
I know that she's not a royal yet, but Countess Stephanie de Lannoy speaks Russian.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prinsessan View Post
A pre-wedding interview with HGD Guillaume and Stéphanie from ZDF, in German.
ZDF Mediathek

Their German is very good, both speak fluently and have a cute (noticeable but not strong) accent . . . I think she's had an interesting career/development, speaking several languages and all.
OK we have her speaking fluent Dutch, French, Luxembourgish and German and possibly conversational English and Russian since we are told she speaks 5 languages.
Old 11-19-2013, 01:09 AM
Heir Apparent

Stephanie was very pointedly asked at the announcement of her engagement if she spoke Dutch and she indicated that she was not fluent, but had a basic knowledge of the language from her primary school years when she attended a Dutch speaking school.

I think she has a grasp of conversational Russian but is not fluent.

She is fluent in German, English and of course French. She understands Luxembourgish very well but I've no idea if she has become fluent yet.

Princess Claire speaks German, Spanish, Italian, French and English.
Old 11-19-2013, 01:46 AM
Nobility

Delightful to hear Princess Letizia speaking in English, and what a beautiful quality of speaking-voice she has.
Fluency in other languages is something I admire very much!
Old 11-19-2013, 02:20 AM
Heir Apparent

Charles Prince of Wales speaks better than passable French. He speaks flawless French with virtually no accent whatsoever. When he went to Paris in August 1997 to accompany Diana's body back to England, he spent almost an hour conferring with the ER physicians who had treated her at the hospital and they were astonished at his perfect command of their language. The same thing happened during a State dinner at the Elysee Palace a couple of years ago. Naturally the French were delighted.

He also speaks faultless German.
Old 11-19-2013, 03:54 AM
Heir Apparent

I know that both QEII and the Prince of Wales speek very good french. Any video pls? There is a video in this thread with QEII speaking french, but i can't open it.
Furthermore i was not impressed by William's french. Is his 1st foreign language? If yes, it is bad, sorry. I come from a country, where every middle class child learns 2 foreign languages, and with english being the first one, their performance is much better than William's french. We are talking about a future heir!
Of course if W speaks other foreign languages better than french, i take back what I said.
Old 11-19-2013, 06:50 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonmaiden23 View Post
Charles Prince of Wales speaks better than passable French. He speaks flawless French with virtually no accent whatsoever. When he went to Paris in August 1997 to accompany Diana's body back to England, he spent almost an hour conferring with the ER physicians who had treated her at the hospital and they were astonished at his perfect command of their language. The same thing happened during a State dinner at the Elysee Palace a couple of years ago. Naturally the French were delighted.

He also speaks faultless German.
Prince Charles command of German is "good", but not faultless. He certainly has a talent for learning foreign languages and speaks very well,but he does have a bit of an accent when he speaks German.
Nevertheless I am glad that he has chosen to learn German because it is not so popular like French or Spanish. I am really excited whenever I hear about a royal who has taken the time to learn German because many people tell me it is quite a difficult language to learn unless you grow up with it;-)

CP Victoria of Sweden is very good in German, she has probably been taught by her mother! In a recent interview Princesse Madeleine has told the reporter that she often speaks German with her husband when they like to talk private matters. I would guess that Carl-Philip is also speaking German like his sisters,but I do not have a source to back it up:-)
. Helen Keller
Old 11-19-2013, 06:53 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by blauerengel View Post
Prince Charles command of German is "good", but not faultless. He certainly has a talent for learning foreign languages and speaks very well,but he does have a bit of an accent when he speaks German.
Nevertheless I am glad that he has chosen to learn German because it is not so popular like French or Spanish. I am really excited whenever I hear about a royal who has taken the time to learn German because many people tell me it is quite a difficult language to learn unless you grow up with it;-)

CP Victoria of Sweden is very good in German, she has probably been taught by her mother! In a recent interview Princesse Madeleine has told the reporter that she often speaks German with her husband when they like to talk private matters. I would guess that Carl-Philip is also speaking German like his sisters,but I do not have a source to back it up:-)
There was an interview once where Q Silvia said that Victoria has the best German out of the children but they all speak it. I am not sure when or where this interview was but I know I have read it.
Old 11-19-2013, 12:49 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by blauerengel View Post

What I found most confusing about German in school was having to capitalize nouns that are not normally capitalized in English. Other than that I didn't find it that difficult at all. Just remember DER, DIE, DAS and you will be okay. I received a grade "B".

It's a beautiful language when you are accustomed to hearing it.
Old 11-19-2013, 02:33 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valerie Rose View Post
Delightful to hear Princess Letizia speaking in English, and what a beautiful quality of speaking-voice she has.
I do not think that Letizia is fluent in English, she is learning it, with "good diction" courses. Her prononciation is OK, but words get not naturally out of her mouth, she worked on the text she is reading (it was her job...).
For example, when you heat QEII in french, you understand that she "controls' the language, despite her slight accent, but Letizia in English does not "control" the language.

In order to realize if someone is fluent in a language we should hear him speak naturally, not just reading a text.
Old 11-24-2013, 07:35 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlota View Post
here's a video from about a year ago where we can hear letizia speaking in english.

It's clear that Letizia doesn't speak perfect English and has a slight accent... but she is really good already :) lovely voice too
Old 11-24-2013, 04:42 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by fandesacs2003 View Post
Furthermore i was not impressed by William's french. Is his 1st foreign language? If yes, it is bad, sorry. I come from a country, where every middle class child learns 2 foreign languages, and with english being the first one, their performance is much better than William's french. We are talking about a future heir!
Of course if W speaks other foreign languages better than french, i take back what I said.
I wasn't impressed with William's French either. I have a very good friend who majored in French in university, and she speaks like a native, so I've been pretty spoiled in that regard. When I heard William speaking this language, I wanted to close my ears. I remember reading that he studied French when in school (not sure for how many years), but I have a feeling he didn't have too much practice. He also seems to know at least a little bit of Spanish, because when he spent part of his Gap Year in Chile, he worked with children who spoke nothing but Spanish. From the clips that I saw, he did pretty well.

I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
Old 11-24-2013, 06:40 PM
Heir Presumptive

I think many royals speak some foreign languages at a good speaking level, either not having enough practice or skills. Maybe they disregard some languages as they don't use them in everyday life.

I've mentioned that those who master several lanuage come from bilingual families or have an appropriate linguistic education. That is the case of members of Monaco princely family, Queen Silvia of Sweden and her children.

Anyway I wonder why some have problems while learning French.
Old 11-24-2013, 08:04 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valerie Rose View Post
I think my post at #408 above may have been misunderstood:
I meant that I enjoyed hearing the Princess speak in English,
that I find her voice pleasant to listen to,
and I admire those who are fluent in other languages:
I'm not qualified to offer an opinion on the Princess' fluency or otherwise and did not mean to
Old 11-25-2013, 02:20 PM
Serene Highness

Maxima's french (from 2'48):

Maxima's spanish (from 3'35):
Old 11-25-2013, 03:03 PM
Heir Apparent

the princess of thailand, speaking in french while visiting switzerland.

http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/
Take some time to sign the petitions @: http://www.thepetitionsite.com/animal-welfare/all