The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 04-15-2011, 03:59 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Her_Majesty View Post
Haakon reading a speech in German (starting around 0:50): (lovely accent )
Nice video. It's cute how he's holding a speech in german even though he's not fluently at all (couldn't understand everything even though german is my mother tongue) What I noticed is that MM has a translator on her right side and once he made a joke everyone was laughing including MM who probably didn't know what she's laughing about because the translator translated it a few seconds later and she was already laughing. Still it was a cute video :)

Old 04-15-2011, 05:01 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odette View Post
I was actually struck by the fact that the majority of the Spaniards do not speak English well or do not wish to. I go to Spain often and for a country with such a booming tourist industry, the majority of the population cannot communicate in English.
I have noticed that to be true as well.

Old 04-15-2011, 05:09 PM
Commoner

any royal speak turkish???????
Old 04-15-2011, 06:00 PM
Serene Highness

I would imagine most royals know several languages.
Old 04-15-2011, 06:46 PM
Royal Highness

since it passed several years and the next generation is grown up, i need to ask. how about little royals now?
how is their languages skills besides their mother tongue
Old 04-18-2011, 09:20 PM
Commoner

Some websites claim that some royals speak languages when in reality their abilities ina certain language are poor.

For example in the Spanish Royal Family, Prince Felipe's english is horrible. Most of the Spanish Royal Family speak horrible english except for Queen Sofia but she cant really speak Spanish very well either. Don't get me wrong I love them.

I believe that it will be easier for the younger ones to speak english or other languages due to the fact that they are lots of bilingual and multilingual schools now and I bet the royals will send their children to those schools.

I was wondering if any royal speaks Hungarian?? Romanian maybe??
Old 04-30-2011, 06:27 AM
Commoner

i think prince felipe's english is just fine

(youtube clip shows him speaking english)
Old 04-30-2011, 06:47 AM
Serene Highness

Do you have any video of Crown Princess Mary and Princess Marie of Denmark speaking in Danish? It would be really interesting to watch them.
Old 04-30-2011, 06:50 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
Just fluent in French, English, Spanish, German and Italian as far as I know.
No, i don't think she speaks German that well.
Old 04-30-2011, 06:29 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by k12nxcutie View Post
i think prince felipe's english is just fine

(youtube clip shows him speaking english)
His English is more than just fine. It is excellent.
Old 06-27-2011, 07:19 PM
Heir Apparent

Does anyone know if Queen Anne Marie knows Greek fluently?
Old 06-28-2011, 09:54 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by azure View Post
Do you have any video of Crown Princess Mary and Princess Marie of Denmark speaking in Danish? It would be really interesting to watch them.

Here are two of Mary

Old 07-09-2011, 12:10 PM
Heir Presumptive

I read that both HM QEII and Prince Phillip speak French fluently,but once I came across a reading that one of HM French cuisineurs Rene(do not remember his surname) mentioned that her French is not so brilliant.I read that Prince Charles passed A-level in French and speaks a liitle Welsh.Prince Philip without doubts,given his background.
Old 07-10-2011, 02:55 AM
Nobility

I can understand how Mary feels as she is from Australia and in Australia not many schools teach a 2nd language and then to go work as an adult speaking only native tounge of English and then to move to a country where the language is forgien and hard to learn. I have met Mary and she speaks perfect Danish and french and english, you can see her thinking about how to say it in danish.

I personally am fluent in English, dutch, french. I know some Yugoslivian and Russian as my fathers side is Russian and Yugoslav and Russian and my mother is Irish. I was raised speaking english in Australia but learnt languages as I went to Uni and travelled and then married a Dane in denamark. I am teaching my children English and Danish as they go to a french school where we live in France. So learning languages for someone like Mary who is Australian is rather hard
Old 07-10-2011, 04:30 AM
Courtier

Does Princess Caroline and Prince Andrea of Monaco learned some of Tagalog words upon their charity visit to the Philippines? The Philippines is a land of many languages, but Tagalog is the language widely spoken in the country.

Some of the Tagalog words:

Mabuhay! - Welcome!
Kumusta! - Hello
Maraming Salamat! - Thank you very much!
Mahal kita! - I love you!
Paalam at hanggang sa muli! - Goodbye and see you!
Old 07-10-2011, 05:34 PM
Serene Highness

I read that the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge were studying Welsh. Anyone know how that is going?
Old 10-17-2011, 06:29 PM
Nobility

Monaco:
Albert: English, French, German, Italian and lang moneguse
Jazmin, Albert's oldest child: English, French?, Fijian?
Alexandre, Albert's oldest son: French, English?
Caroline: English, French, Italian, German & Spanish
Andrea: English, French, Italian, some German,possibly Spanish/Portuguse as well (Santo Domingo/Dellal influence)
Charlotte: French, English, shy in Italian, some german, possibly Spanish/Portuguse as well (Santo Domingo/Dellal influence)
Pierre: French, Italian, English, some German, possibly Spanish/Portuguse as well (Santo Domingo/Dellal influence)
Alexandra: French, English, German, and is likely learning Spanish, Italian or Moneguse in school
Stephanie: English, French, Italian
Louis: French, English, Italian
Pauline: French, English, maybe Italian
Camille: French, English, and learning either German, Italian or Spanish in school
Christian de Massy: French, English, Spanish?
Cecile de Massy: French, English
Keith-Sebastien Knecht de Massy: French, English, Italian
Donatella Knecht de Massy: French, English, Italian
Christine Knecht de Massy: French, English, Italian, and learning either German, Italian or Spanish in school
Alexia Knecht de Massy: French, English, Italian, and learning either German, Italian or Spanish in school
Vittoria Knecht de Massy: French, English, Italian, and learning either German, Italian or Spanish in school
Andrea Knecht de Massy: French, English, Italian, and learning either German, Italian or Spanish in school
Brice de Massy: French, english
Antoine de Massy: French, English
Leticia de Massy: French, English, Spanish, Dutch (her husband's dutch)?
Elisabeth-Anne de Massy: French, English
Jean-Leonard taubert-natta de massy: French, English, German?, Italian?
Melanie-Antoinette de Massy: French, English
Old 10-18-2011, 03:12 PM
Courtier

Quote:
I was wondering if any royal speaks Hungarian??
Almost every Austrian Emperor and Crown Prince was speaking Hungarian, next to Czech, Croatian and German. What's more the late Archduke Otto spoke - being the last Crown Prince- German, Hungarian, Czech, Croatian, English, French, Spanish, Latin and learnt in his later years Italian, too. And by speaking I really mean speaking! He was taught German, Hungarian, Czech and Croatian since he was born and was also flawless in Spanish, French and English because of his studies in Belgium as well as living in Spain and the USA. Anyone here who can beat this ??? ;-) His two sons speak very well Hungarian too with Georg living in Hungary being almost flawless. What's more all his daughters had lessons in Hungarian with Walpurga speaking fluently Swedish as well....
Old 12-26-2011, 12:41 PM
Commoner

The Brazilian Emperor Peter II was a legendary polyglot: He learned English, French, German, Italian, Spanish, Russian, Arabic, Greek, Latin, Hebrew, Sanskrit and Tupi-Guaran - Brazilian indians language. He brought teachers from all the world to teach him. His translations of hebrew and arabic poetry are pretty accurate.
Old 01-20-2012, 02:10 AM

Princess Diana: English,Welsh,Sign Language, and Italian it seems:
Did she also speak French and German too?