Old 03-04-2010, 02:03 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
You may have heard him speak Welsh words. He might even managed something like

' goodmorning' etc

But he is NOT a Welsh speaker
I think i know what i've heard, he spoke more than good morning to me and my family. But lets agree to disagree.

Old 03-04-2010, 02:28 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dierna23 View Post
Not long ago I watched a documentary with some footage of an interview by Queen Sofia (from the Seventies I think) in which she spoke German.
I have to say that she was very very good at it, I didn't even notice an accent.
Do you remember where and the channel of the documentary, to see if I can find it?

Old 03-05-2010, 12:56 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumutqueen View Post
I think i know what i've heard, he spoke more than good morning to me and my family. But lets agree to disagree.

Are you Welsh? I am and I met the Prince through work and I can assure you HE IS NOT A WELSH SPEAKER.
Old 03-07-2010, 08:35 AM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juanita View Post
Do you remember where and the channel of the documentary, to see if I can find it?
Yes, it was broadcasted on German channels ZDF and phoenix, the documentary is called "Majestät!"
Old 03-07-2010, 08:39 AM
Commoner

Sarah, duchess of york speaks English, French and Spanish. Her daughter Beatrice, speaks English and French, i think.
Old 04-03-2010, 04:05 AM
Heir Presumptive

I wouldn't be surprised if Prince Charles can speak some Welsh.
Old 04-03-2010, 05:30 AM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by rchat View Post
I wouldn't be surprised if Prince Charles can speak some Welsh.
He can, but there are two differing arguments on how much Welsh he can speak. Jonathon says only a few words and I say the opposite.
Old 04-04-2010, 04:05 AM
Nobility

Besides English and French, the Duke of Edinburgh is fluent in German as well. He hasn't learned Greek as a child but tried to learn some when he was older.

Prince Carl Philip speaks Swedish (of course), English, German and I heard that a couple of year ago he started to learn some Portuguese because he wanted to know some of `the other language' of his mothers family. None of the Swedish children learned Portuguese when they were young because Silvia didn't want to have 'secret language' with her children that Carl Gustav doesn't know.
Old 04-23-2010, 01:14 AM
Heir Presumptive

Besides French, English and Danish what other langauage(s) does Marie of Denmark speak? And what about Joachim's older sons? Alexandra speaks 5-6 languages right?
Old 04-23-2010, 03:07 AM
Super Moderator
Blog Editor
Picture of the Month Representative - Denmark
Royal Blogger

Italian and Spanish according to the Royal Court.
Old 06-21-2010, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by liv View Post
I think Astrid and Lorenz´s children all speak French, Dutch, German and the older ones English.

Princess Caroline- English, French, Italian, German

Doesn't Princess Caroline also speak Greek? I also believe she is adept at ancient Latin
Old 06-21-2010, 04:29 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danelle View Post
Doesn't Princess Caroline also speak Greek? I also believe she is adept at ancient Latin
Just fluent in French, English, Spanish, German and Italian as far as I know.
Old 06-21-2010, 04:33 PM
Gentry

The (newly) Prince Daniel...can speak English too!
Old 06-21-2010, 11:29 PM
Serene Highness

Princess Caroline was a philosophy major so she may have taken ancient Greek and Latin at the Sorbonne. I remember Lagerfeld saying that Charlotte was learning ancient Greek in college also. She too was a philosophy major.

I wonder if the Casiraghi's speak Monagasque? I never see that mentioned as a language that any of the family speak except Prince Albert. I would think it would be required. And do the old Monegasques actually speak the language to each other?
Old 06-22-2010, 12:03 AM
Heir Presumptive

I was wondering the liitle kids at the wedding of victoria what language they talk in between them?
Old 06-25-2010, 07:47 PM
Nobility

Hi Fandesacs2003! Positive, prior to his marriage to HM QEII he ws known as Prince Phillip of Greece and made a point of mentioning that his children will be raised to also speak greek.

I've also recently been made aware that he also speaks German, on account of his being educated in Germany.

In addition Princess Anne in the 2004 Olympics, said that she was supporting greece. The reported asked why? she responded by saying, "Because I'm half Greek".

Hope this helps

Quote:
Originally Posted by fandesacs2003 View Post
Are you sure??? Interesting!! Greek is nor really his mother tongue!
His mother was not Greek, she was British, Princess Alice von Battenberg (late Earl's Mountbatten sister).
His father was Greek, Prince Andrew of Greece & Denmark, son of First King of Greece George I (royal family coming from Denmark). Just fot the story, Prince Philip is first cousin with the author Michel de Grece, King George I of Greece was their grandfather.
Prince Philip was born in Greece, but when he was a baby, the Royal family was chassed from Greece. Prince Philip has been raised in Paris-St Cloud and after in UK by his maternal grandmother. He was also very close to his uncle Earl of Mountbatten (the Battenberg changed their name to be Mountbatten during the 1st WW to sound less German. He never returned back in Greece.
Prince Philip lost his father when he was abt 21.
He may speek Greek because he comes very often in Mont Athos, but I thanks he never came everywhere else in Greece.
If you know for sure some more information about his greek speaking skills, please let me know.
Thanks
Old 06-25-2010, 07:54 PM
Nobility

He does but not in its purest form. ie He speaks Colloquial Moroccan Arabic (aka Darija), over 70% of the Vocabulary and Grammatical principles within the language are from Tamazight (Chelha variant to be precise). The remainder consists of Spanish, French and Persian vocabulary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amira View Post
King Mohamed VI doesn't speak Tamazight ( berber language) ...
Old 06-25-2010, 08:45 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roshanah View Post
Hi Fandesacs2003! Positive, prior to his marriage to HM QEII he ws known as Prince Phillip of Greece and made a point of mentioning that his children will be raised to also speak greek.

I've also recently been made aware that he also speaks German, on account of his being educated in Germany.

In addition Princess Anne in the 2004 Olympics, said that she was supporting greece. The reported asked why? she responded by saying, "Because I'm half Greek".

Hope this helps
She is no more half Greek than the man in the moon. I doubt she ever said that. Her father's father, was Danish and German, his mother was English and German. They were part of the foreign entitiy that were elected? to the Greek throne. That makes them as Greek as standing in a garage makes you a car.
Old 06-25-2010, 09:48 PM
Nobility

and I believe la Infanta Elena has even taught English after completing her university studies (Early Childhood Education)
Old 06-25-2010, 10:16 PM
Nobility

Hi acdc1! Oh yes I clean forgot about that. Right you are acdc1, his mother was Princess Dagmar of Denmark and later changed her name to Marie upon her conversion to Russian Othordoxy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by acdc1 View Post
I read in a book that he could read (and maybe speak?) some Danish as his mother was a Danish princess.