The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 05-13-2007, 08:54 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimebear
I know that its widely acknowledged that the Monaco royals speak accent free English, but what about their French? Does Monaco have a different dialect of French than France does? If they do, do the royals speak it without an accent as well?? I've heard them speak French, but my own French is so poor I can't tell.
I have heard the Monaco royals speak. They speak English with an American accent. Also, they speak French like the French.

Old 05-13-2007, 11:21 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuchu
I have heard the Monaco royals speak. They speak English with an American accent. Also, they speak French like the French.
Thanks! I thought so, but wasn't sure.

Old 05-13-2007, 11:40 PM
Super Moderator

Location: Down the street. It's the third house on the right, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuchu
I thought Caroline had more of a British accent when speaking English.

Live, Highlander. Grow stronger. Fight another day. Highlander: The Series

Old 05-14-2007, 04:16 AM
Aristocracy

Talking Monegasque language.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimebear
I know that its widely acknowledged that the Monaco royals speak accent free English, but what about their French? Does Monaco have a different dialect of French than France does? If they do, do the royals speak it without an accent as well?? I've heard them speak French, but my own French is so poor I can't tell.
Kimebear,Prince Albert II of Monaco actually speaks English with an American accent.

French is the official language of Monaco.

The Monegasque people have got their own language.Here's an article; Monégasque language - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia .

Aidan.
Old 05-14-2007, 07:14 AM
Courtier

I wonder, though...if Albert speaks with an American accent in English, which regional American accent is it? Is it a Philadelphian accent from his mother? Or perhaps the plain, un-accented American English of Nebraska or wherever...(I am referring to the fact that in either Iowa or Nebraska there is no regional accent, similar to Hannoverian German).
Old 05-14-2007, 10:13 PM
Aristocracy

It sounds like it is derived from Princess Grace's American accent to me.I've never seen a video clip or heard an audio clip of Prince Albert II speaking in French or in Monegasque at all.

Aidan.
Old 05-14-2007, 10:31 PM
Nobility

Prince Albert went to school in America too

I think it was in the North East. It's been some time since I've heard him, but I seem to recall that he has quite a flat American accent.
Old 05-14-2007, 11:05 PM
Super Moderator

Location: Down the street. It's the third house on the right, United States
I don't think anyone was trying to insult anyone else in this thread. Let's not get personal in these threads. We are talking about what lanuages the royals speak.

Thanks
Lady Jennifer
Royal Chit Chat Moderator

Live, Highlander. Grow stronger. Fight another day. Highlander: The Series

Old 05-16-2007, 03:02 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royalist0007
It sounds like it is derived from Princess Grace's American accent to me.I've never seen a video clip or heard an audio clip of Prince Albert II speaking in French or in Monegasque at all.

Aidan.
I've hear him many many times giving interview in french, he is a perfect french speaker, native one

I've heard him also speaking Monegasque, but I can no understand.

He studied in Amhearst University in US, but I think he got his accent from his mother.

Princess Grace, never managed to well speak french, and she raised her children fully in English.
Old 05-16-2007, 04:23 PM
Aristocracy

Albert and Caroline do speak a very good Italian, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fandesacs2003
I've hear him many many times giving interview in french, he is a perfect french speaker, native one

I've heard him also speaking Monegasque, but I can no understand.

He studied in Amhearst University in US, but I think he got his accent from his mother.

Princess Grace, never managed to well speak french, and she raised her children fully in English.
Old 05-16-2007, 06:41 PM
Imperial Majesty

We've just had to do yet another major cleanup because some posters saw fit to ignore the warning posted by Lady Jennifer a couple of days ago. Please note that the forum rules prohibit discussion of politics and religion except where they directly relate to royals. Our rules also prohibit posts promoting hate against religious and ethnic groups and posts insulting other posters. And above all, our rules require that instructions posted by moderators be complied with. If any more religious or nationalistic warfare breaks out in this thread, people can expect to be suspended for it.

Elspeth

Royal Forums administrator
Old 05-26-2007, 04:09 PM
Aristocracy

A while ago, I saw an interview with Albert and in the end, he spoke a bit german. Just a few words. But he had a good pronunciation, nearly
accent-free.

flowers
Old 05-28-2007, 02:16 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by leonardinha
Albert and Caroline do speak a very good Italian, too.
I have some interview footage of Albert. And yes he speaks English as any American that speaks standard English.

I immediately noticed how painfully shy he appeared. He seldom looked at the camera, stammered a bit, had what appeared to be a nervous tick and was otherwise terribly insecure. The topic of his imperfections and that of his family may have had something to do with it. I was unable to find the footage to show it to this audience. If I find it will post it.

Can't say how many of his problems he has courted, but he certainly had a more difficult start than most despite his privileged birth.
Old 05-30-2007, 09:36 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by foiegrass
Who are the royals learning Chinese?
I think Prince Henrik speaks Chinese, and Vietnamese as well.
Old 05-30-2007, 10:00 PM
Serene Highness

Do you mean prince Henrik from Denmark? I admire that he knows those languages. I didn't know that.

I also read somewhere that prince William learnt Swahili, can anyone confirm that?

"The course of true love never did run smooth " William Shakespeare, 'A Midsummer Night's Dream'

http://www.aishwarya-rai.com/
Old 07-08-2007, 10:34 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakshmi View Post
Do you mean prince Henrik from Denmark? I admire that he knows those languages. I didn't know that.
If I recall, Prince Henrik used to live in China and Vietnam. Are there any videos of royals speaking English (other than English royals, obviously.)?
Old 07-08-2007, 11:18 PM
Commoner

I didn't know Mary could speak French.....

Pavlos and MC speak English she never learned Greek.
Old 02-14-2008, 05:20 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Next Star View Post
Prince Albert II of Monaco does not an accent of a person from Monaco I agree with other members that has an American accent. Albert speaks four lanagues English which he speaks very well, French he speaks that very well too being that is the official lanague of Monaco plus he also speaks Italian and Spainsh I have not heard him speak in any of those two lanagues but the other two English and French I have.
I forget one language the prince speaks German which makes it five lanuages Prince Albert II of Monaco speaks.

I'm head of a dynastic house no matter what others say.
Princess Kamorrissa,Countess of Welle
Old 02-14-2008, 07:21 AM
Gentry

Yes Prince Henrik did indeed live in Vetnamn and China. He talked Chinese with Princess Alexandra what I have read
Old 03-08-2008, 09:27 PM
Courtier

Queen Beatrix' grandchildren are all bilingual. Eloise, Claus-Casimir and Leonore speak Dutch and French, Luana and Zaria speak Dutch and English, and Amalia, Alexia and Ariane speak Dutch and Spanish. Well, Ariane probably doesn't speak anything yet.