What If A Royal Adopted?

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kwanfan

Serene Highness
Country
United States
What would happen if a royal couple chose to adopt a child? Would the child immediately go into the line of succession?

i don't think that the kid would be put in the line of succession. it would have to be blood of the royal to be in the line. i don't even know if the kid would get a title unless it was given one by the reigning royal.

lamass said:
i don't think that the kid would be put in the line of succession. it would have to be blood of the royal to be in the line. i don't even know if the kid would get a title unless it was given one by the reigning royal.

It depends on the country, but generally no. Monaco had/has a provision where the Prince can adopt. The Indian princely states used to sometimes adopt heirs from certain clans, as was the case with the last ruling Maharaja of Jaipur (husband of the famous Gayatri Devi), and the Gaekwad of Baroda (who was one of India's greatest Princes and grandfather of the aforementioned Gayatri Devi).

Sean.~ said:
It depends on the country

Correct. Some have the provision within their parliamentary systems to change the requirements for the line of succession. (The Succession act of 1703 being one of these). But as we know, the Royal House of Sweden is an adopted one, and if something happens historically, then we can be rather certain, that for most countries (particularly the more liberal Eurpean Monarchies), the possibility is there.

Last edited by a moderator:
The late King Hussein and Queen Alia of Jordan adopted a daughter. But she's not part of the line of succession. The Sultan and Queen of Brunei have many adopted children from various parts of the world, including African orphans, and the Sultan also has adopted siblings, one of his adopted brothers lives in the royal palace. The adopted family members are all well provided for but none of them ofcourse is part of the line of succession.

I think the general answer is no. Royals can of course adopt children, but they cannot become part of the Line of Succession.

The case with Sweden though has to do with history and the times when the monarchs really did rule their countries, and had ther hands on the legislation. The adoption of Jean Baptiste Bernadotte was a case of "big league politics" so to speak. Sweden wanted to become close to Napoleon, and so they adopted one of his generals as the next king. He later became Karl XIV Johan.

Prince Christoph von Hessen-Kassel was killed in an aeroplane accident in the Appenines whilst on active service.

Prince Richard and Prince Christoph were twins. Prince Richard adopted his nephew Prince Rainer of Hesse-Cassel, the son of Prince Christoph, on 7 July 1952.

Landgrave Philipp and Prince Wolfgang were twins. Prince Wolfgang adopted his nephew Prince Karl of Hesse-Cassel, the son of Prince Christoph, on 7 July 1952.

Landgrave Moritz was adopted by Prince Ludwig of Hesse and by Rhine and succeeded to the Ducal title of Hess and by Rhine following the death of Prince Ludwig. Princess Tatiana is a sister of Prince Richard of Sayn-Wittgenstein-Berleburg

Alexandra said:
Prince Christoph von Hessen-Kassel was killed in an aeroplane accident in the Appenines whilst on active service.

Prince Richard and Prince Christoph were twins. Prince Richard adopted his nephew Prince Rainer of Hesse-Cassel, the son of Prince Christoph, on 7 July 1952.

Landgrave Philipp and Prince Wolfgang were twins. Prince Wolfgang adopted his nephew Prince Karl of Hesse-Cassel, the son of Prince Christoph, on 7 July 1952.

Landgrave Moritz was adopted by Prince Ludwig of Hesse and by Rhine and succeeded to the Ducal title of Hess and by Rhine following the death of Prince Ludwig. Princess Tatiana is a sister of Prince Richard of Sayn-Wittgenstein-Berleburg

Great examples! However, they are moot insofar as relating to succession , because there was no throne to succeed to. These adoptions were for estate succession reasons, and to continue the family name. Moreover, all of these individuals were kinsmen, so it's not like an outsider was being brought in.

The Norwegian constitution doesn't really say anything about adoption, but these two paragraphs might be open for interpretation on the matter. If you read the first one it says that only those born to a King/Queen, their children, or their brothers and sisters, are entitled to rule. (And therefore be in the line of succession.) But... if the King should have no such offspring, the second article may also include adopted children. (And everybody else. ;) )

§ 6.
The succession to the throne is linear, such as only children born to Queen or King in legal marriages, or one in the line of succession by own right, can inherit, and the closer line suceeds before the distant, and the older before the younger.
Among the elligeble is also counted the unborn, who immediately after birth, take their right place in the line.
Though, someone not born in the straight downward line from the last ruling Queen or King, or this one's sister or brother, or a sister or brother to the King or Queen, does not have the right to the throne.

§ 7. If there isn't any Prince or Princess in the line of succession, the King himself may suggest his successor to the Storting, who are entitled to make the decision, if the King's choice isn't approved.

I would let them adopt - although I know that many of the country's constitutions refering to the royal births and thus succession don't take adoption and new advancements like surragacy into account.
I know that they would always stick out as everyone will know they adopted. Can you imagine the tabloids coming up with a story about the TRUE parents of Prince So and So. It would be worse than been royal so I don't think it is a possiblity for royals in line to the throne. But I really would like the British parliament to change that stuff about only children been born from body... of descendants of Empress Sophia of Hannover so that Edward and Sophie could adopt.

Claire said:
I would let them adopt - although I know that many of the country's constitutions refering to the royal births and thus succession don't take adoption and new advancements like surragacy into account.
I know that they would always stick out as everyone will know they adopted. Can you imagine the tabloids coming up with a story about the TRUE parents of Prince So and So. It would be worse than been royal so I don't think it is a possiblity for royals in line to the throne. But I really would like the British parliament to change that stuff about only children been born from body... of descendants of Empress Sophia of Hannover so that Edward and Sophie could adopt.
Sadly, this would probably be the case knowing the tabloids, quite sad really!

However, I think it would set a great example if a royal were to adopt.

has any royal in europe adopted in recent times since the 50's

Not that I know of. There were several suggestions in the media though such as Haakon adopting MM's son Marius, Prince Albert adopting one of Caroline's children in case he doesn't produce an heir / heiress himself or Letizia adopting her nice Carla after her sister's death. None of these rumours has been proven true so far.

Nice idea for a thread. I can't really imagine royals adopting though. They should definitely be allowed to. I think it also depends on the situation. If a crown prince couple can't have children and want to adopt, then maybe, although probably the right to the thrown would be for a brother or sister next in line. But what about adopting a third child from another country? It seems nice to me, even though I can't see it happening. Letizia adopting Carla was a cute suggestion of the press but completely unnecessary of course. Little Carla has a father who loves her and who cna take care of her. Maybe if he had passed away as well, bu thankfully that is not the case

The late King Hussein and Queen Alia of Jordan adopted a daughter. But she's not part of the line of succession. The Sultan and Queen of Brunei have many adopted children from various parts of the world, including African orphans, and the Sultan also has adopted siblings, one of his adopted brothers lives in the royal palace. The adopted family members are all well provided for but none of them ofcourse is part of the line of succession.
I think is bit rare to say that those children are 'adopted'. It's realy sad that Abir (adopted daugther from the late King Hussein) not even mentoned as a sister any more. My opinion is that if you adopt a child it has to be like your own. No difference.
Or you don't adopt but you start sponsoring of a child in his/her own family.

By the way, this is a nice thema.

I think what kwanfan question about adoption was meant to be along the lines of what if (this is just an example) CP Mary and Frederick were to adopt a child from China, or Princess Martha-Louise and Ari Behn adopted a child from Africa or Kazahkstan even. At least thats what I think kwanfan was asking.

But I don't see why it would be a problem is a royal adopted. They obviously won't be in the line of sucession. But maybe the soverign might give them a title like count or countess, lord or lady, something along those lines.There are millions of children in the world who need loving homes. I myself am adopted. And I think that if I wasn't I wouldn't have been given the opportunites that I have been given.

Adoption a possibility?

On the heels of the thread about a gay heir, would it ever be possible for an adopted child to be an heir? Do you think this might need a few decades but it could eventually happen? In families where children were adopted by a member not likely to inherit the throne, were the children still placed in the line of succession?

That's interesting...well it seems more and more women are having trouble conceiving. In fact around me...I only know one woman who could get pregnant with no problems...

I'm sure adoption would be fine as long as the child is from the country they are ruling over. That would probably be a major stipulation...although I don't see this happening anytime soon...

I don't believe adopted children are eligible to inherit unless they're already related to their adopted parents. At least that's true in the UK. I'm not sure how it would work in other countries.

Adoption Rules

As I understand it, adoption is for the benefit of the child and not for the purpose of finding a ruling royal. Of course in some cases adoption is necessary as royal families have more than one consort and so on. For example the current royal family of England. Whether a child should join the line of succession has to do with their merit. Are they a royal themself already? Is their spot in succession a regnant position or merely a prince or princess in title? The fact is when joined into a royal family all are welcome though not all are equal in stature. Adoption is for the benefit of the child and their life. In this day and age countless families are single parent families and many are multi-parent families. So in essence the answer is YES and NO. It depends on the child, the family and the country. Often in America, people do not adopt others children so that they will still receive child support from the biological parent. Often financial issues out weigh the emotional connections of adoption. The other key issues are blood relationship and percentage relationship to Queen Victoria. This is important for the purpose of pairing so that the royals lines continue in existence.

If Prince Harry was married and had two biological children and something happened to him and his wife, the two children would be in the line of succession and someone in the family would raise his children since they are flesh and blood of the royal family.

If he wasn't married and had two children, then then wouldn't be in line to the throne. They may or may not be raised in the royal family.

In other countries, it depends, I guess.

Harry just like anyone can adopt a child. The child just wouldn't be in the line of succession.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

I am not sure why someone would 'have to' adopt? :ermm: Harry is not heir and if he wants to remain a childless bachelor for life there would be no issue with that.

:previous: Yes, Zsa Zsa is definitely alive though the 99 year old is in bad health, having a leg amputated and has been on a feeding tube.

The life and death dates in the post you responded to do not refer to Zsa Zsa. They refer to Princess Marie-Auguste of Anhalt the woman who adopted Zsa Zsa's husband and how he claims to be a prince. She died in 1983.

She was great-grandmother of Grand Duke Georg Mikhailovich, one of the best claimaints to the Russian throne. His father is the eldest child of Marie's son with her first husband Prince Joachim of Prussia.

Poor Zsa Zsa, so old and so alone. Her husband - is he a good or a bad man in her live ?

I don't know of any law that would prevent a royal from adopting - most likely the child wouldn't be in the line of succession if they didn't have royal blood but what if they did? If the child was distantly related to them or directly related to them would this make a difference.

Dynastic adoption has occurred in the past, often with the result of raising the child's place in the order of succession, or to eliminate the possible ambiguity of the question of succession. Some examples are cited earlier in this thread.

Back
Top Bottom