What If A Royal Adopted?

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think the general answer is no. Royals can of course adopt children, but they cannot become part of the Line of Succession.

The case with Sweden though has to do with history and the times when the monarchs really did rule their countries, and had ther hands on the legislation. The adoption of Jean Baptiste Bernadotte was a case of "big league politics" so to speak. Sweden wanted to become close to Napoleon, and so they adopted one of his generals as the next king. He later became Karl XIV Johan.

This was the issue with King Baudouin I and Queen Fabiola of the Belgians, which just must have been like salt in the wound. :sad: ❤️

In my opinion confusion comes from Her Majesty, Queen Elizabeth II. Letting Her Majesty's Power Of Letters Patent. And Her Royal And Legal Proclamation. Never Mind Reigning In The Deportment Of Her Majesty's Privy Council. Slide.

Remember. Her Majesty, Queen Elizabeth II Signs The Acts Of Parliament.

I often wonder if non adopted can be raised to Royal Status? Seems to me like it has something to do with The Royal Letters Of Patent.

If, by royal status, you mean being in the line of succession to the throne, then the only way to give such status in the UK to an adopted child would be an act of Parliament as it would involve a change in the law of succession. That would also have to be agreed by the parliaments of the other Commonwealth realms whenever necessary in each realm's own domestic law. The Queen could, however, give any title to an adopted child, or even an HRH style, by Letters Patent only.

In the aforementioned case of Jean Baptiste Bernadotte, the Swedish parliament passed a special law, the Act of Succession of 1810, to establish a new dynasty and a new order of succession. That act, with a major revision in 1979, is still technically in force in Sweden today.

If, by royal status, you mean being in the line of succession to the throne, then the only way to give such status in the UK to an adopted child would be an act of Parliament as it would involve a change in the law of succession. That would also have to be agreed by the parliaments of the other Commonwealth realms whenever necessary in each realm's own domestic law. The Queen could, however, give any title to an adopted child, or even an HRH style, by Letters Patent only.

In the aforementioned case of Jean Baptiste Bernadotte, the Swedish parliament passed a special law, the Act of Succession of 1810, to establish a new dynasty and a new order of succession. That act, with a major revision in 1979, is still technically in force in Sweden today.

True, that was a special case, in that the Swedish RF had IIRC no male heir and there was no one suitable to take over.. and the Swedes accepted Bernadotte as heir.. but there had to be legislation passed to make him and his family the legal heirs. In Britan the queen could give a title to a child adopted into the RF but she could not add him or her intot the succession witout an Act of Parliament.

Back
Top Bottom