The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > General Royal Discussion > Royal Life and Lifestyle

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 06-15-2012, 03:05 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shikha Pal View Post
Somewhere it was mentioned that William used to call his grandmother "Garry" instead of Granny :)
I read about this also, only about Harry, rather than William. Of course both boys could have called their grandmother that when they were just learning to talk.

I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
Old 06-15-2012, 04:30 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esmerelda View Post
Estelle of Sweden can't talk yet but I wonder what she will call the King and Queen.
Possibly morfar (mother's father) and mormor (mother's mother) and for Daniel's parents farfar (father's father) and farmor (father's mother), the Swedish names for grandfather and grandmother.

Old 06-15-2012, 04:55 PM
Heir Presumptive

Princess Beatrice seemed to refer to the late Queen Elizabeth, the Queen Mother (her great-granny) as Gang Gang in a recent documentary. At least that's how I heard it.
Old 06-15-2012, 05:52 PM
Royal Highness

I think the Amama and Apapa goes all the way back to King Christian IX and Queen Louise of Denmark I think, most of their grandchildren seem to have referred to them like that.

Old 06-15-2012, 06:30 PM
Serene Highness

I just curious as to what the grandchildren call Prince Phillip?

I've read a few of these posts. I wonder how many grand parent royals get called Nanna or Nanny.
Old 06-15-2012, 07:42 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by nascarlucy
I just curious as to what the grandchildren call Prince Phillip?

I've read a few of these posts. I wonder how many grand parent royals get called Nanna or Nanny.
William, at least calls Phillip Grandpa. You can just about hear it in this video when he greets and says goodbye to his grandparents who visit him at work.
Old 06-15-2012, 07:59 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichelleQ2
Reportedly QEII called her grandfather, King George V...Grandpa England
I read an interview with Princess Margaret dismissing this charming story, saying she & her sister were far too scared of him to call him anything of the sort!
Old 06-15-2012, 08:29 PM
Royal Highness

But wasn't it HM who could wrap King George V around her little finger? I also recall reading somewhere that she was his favourite grandchild.

Old 06-15-2012, 10:36 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archduchess Zelia View Post
I think the Amama and Apapa goes all the way back to King Christian IX and Queen Louise of Denmark I think, most of their grandchildren seem to have referred to them like that.
I also remember reading that Nikolai II's children called Empress Maria Fiodorovna Amama as well.

I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
Old 06-16-2012, 01:15 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esmerelda View Post
William, at least calls Phillip Grandpa. You can just about hear it in this video when he greets and says goodbye to his grandparents who visit him at work.
Princess Eugenie called The Queen and Prince Philip "Granny and Grandpa" in her recent interview, and used "Granny" quite a lot on "The Diamond Queen".
Old 10-02-2012, 12:56 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maura724 View Post
Paola said once in an interview that they call her grandmother in Italian - which I think is nonna.
I always heard it was "Mamina" and "Papino" but maybe I'm wrong...

Queen Mathilde
Old 11-12-2012, 06:15 PM
Royal Highness

Queen Ingrid of Denmark was called "Mormor" (the Danish word for "grandma") by all ten of her grandchildren, both the Danish grandchildren, the German grandchildren and the Greek grandchildren.

Old 11-12-2012, 06:37 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

I've heard that Ingrid Alexandra calls King Harald Bestefar, which I think means grandfather in Norwegian (correct me if I'm wrong here). Do children like Lady Louise and Margarita Armstrong- Jones still call their grandparents 'grandmamma' and 'grandpapa,' or have those manners of address sort of gone out of fashion?
"She is a little angel and like her name, she brings sunshine even on cloudy days. From the bottom of our hearts, we would like to thank each and every one of you for your lovely best wishes for our daughter. She feels very loved". HRH Princess Madeleine, Duchess of Hälsingland and Gästrikland on her daughter, HRH Princess Leonore, Duchess of Gotland.
Old 11-12-2012, 06:39 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by HereditaryPrincess View Post
I've heard that Ingrid Alexandra calls King Harald Bestefar, which I think means grandfather in Norwegian (correct me if I'm wrong here). Do children like Lady Louise and Margarita Armstrong- Jones still call their grandparents 'grandmamma' and 'grandpapa,' or have those manners of address sort of gone out of fashion?
I presume that Lady Louise calls HM "Granny" like the other grandchildren.

Old 11-12-2012, 06:43 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archduchess Zelia

I presume that Lady Louise calls HM "Granny" like the other grandchildren.
Yes, I think so to now
"She is a little angel and like her name, she brings sunshine even on cloudy days. From the bottom of our hearts, we would like to thank each and every one of you for your lovely best wishes for our daughter. She feels very loved". HRH Princess Madeleine, Duchess of Hälsingland and Gästrikland on her daughter, HRH Princess Leonore, Duchess of Gotland.
Old 11-12-2012, 07:21 PM
Aristocracy

I believe Queen Victoria was known as Gan-gan to her grandchildren.
Old 11-19-2012, 12:42 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valerie Rose View Post
I believe Queen Victoria was known as Gan-gan to her grandchildren.
Oh my, that is cute!!!