Names For Royal Grandparents

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Queen Ingrid of Denmark was called "Mormor" (the Danish word for "grandma") by all ten of her grandchildren, both the Danish grandchildren, the German grandchildren and the Greek grandchildren.

I've heard that Ingrid Alexandra calls King Harald Bestefar, which I think means grandfather in Norwegian (correct me if I'm wrong here). Do children like Lady Louise and Margarita Armstrong- Jones still call their grandparents 'grandmamma' and 'grandpapa,' or have those manners of address sort of gone out of fashion?

I've heard that Ingrid Alexandra calls King Harald Bestefar, which I think means grandfather in Norwegian (correct me if I'm wrong here). Do children like Lady Louise and Margarita Armstrong- Jones still call their grandparents 'grandmamma' and 'grandpapa,' or have those manners of address sort of gone out of fashion?

I presume that Lady Louise calls HM "Granny" like the other grandchildren.

I believe Queen Victoria was known as Gan-gan to her grandchildren.

In the yearly film published by the SVT documenting the Royal Year, you can hear Estelle calling Silvia MorMor.

QMII is called farmor = paternal grandmother = father's mother.
Prince Henrik is called grandpapa, which I understand is French. The Danish name would normally be farfar = father's father.

Had they had a daughter, QMII would be mormor = mother's mother, and PH would be morfar = mother's father.

Alexandra of Russia (1772-1918) called her maternal grandmother Victoria (1818-1901) "Gan-gan."

The children of Prince Antonio and Princess Christine of Brazil called their late paternal grandmother, The Princess Mother of Brazil, "Vó Maria", which means Grandma Maria in portuguese. I heard they call their maternal grandmother, The Dowager Princess of Ligne, Grand-mère.

The grandchildren of Princess Isabel of Brazil (1846-1921) called her "Vovó", which means Granny in portuguese, while they called The Count of Eu (1842-1922) "Bon-Papa", which I think means "Grandpa" in french.

Last edited:
Marie Valerie of Habsburg (1868-1924) wrote diaries. Some of them were printed in the 1990s.

She never mentioned her paternal grandparents, but her maternal grandparents als "Großmamá" and "Großpapá".

Later Marie Valerie married Franz Salvator (1866-1939) and had children of her owen.
Her children called Elisabeth (1837-1898) and Franz Joseph (1830-1916) "Omama" (accent on the "o") and "Opapa".

The parents of Franz Salvator died, bevor there grandchildren can speak.

I don't know, how Gisela (1856-1932) called her grandparents, her children called the parents of Gisela and the father-in-law of Gisela - the mother-in-law died young, and Giselas grandchildren called heir.

I also don't know, how Archduchess Elisabeth (1883-1963), Rudolf's daughter called her grandparents and hat contact to her children/grandchildren.

Last edited:
Alexandra of Russia (1772-1918) called her maternal grandmother Victoria (1818-1901) "Gan-gan."

All of Victoria's grandchildren called her "Grandmama", to my knowledge, including Alicky/Alexandra Feodorovna.

"Gangan" is something her great-grandchildren used, and has since been applied by great-grandchildren to Queens Alexandra, Mary, Elizabeth the Queen Mother, and now Elizabeth II, although I'm not really sure where it came from.

I know, Alix called her maternal grandmother Gan-Gan.

Maybe its a mistake with the Translation.
Gan-Gan versus Granny.

I read this Information about Gan-Gan in a German book.

Back
Top Bottom