The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Royal Highlights > General Royal Discussion > Royal Life and Lifestyle

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 07-25-2007, 03:23 AM
Heir Presumptive

What do Royals do to make this world a better place?

For instance Willem Alexander of the Netherlands is interested in watermanagement. Laurentien in analfabetism etc.

Old 07-25-2007, 03:33 AM
Royal Highness

Already before she became a royal, HRH Princess Mabel of Orange-Nassau, Countess van Oranje-Nassau van Amsberg was very active in the named topics.

- she is was one of the founders of War Child Netherlands
- she is director EU Affairs of the Open Society Institute, a powerful lobby-institute to promote democracy and human rights
- she is one of the founders and former executive of the European Action Council for Peace in the Balkans
- she was a member of the advisory board of Human Rights Watch

Old 07-25-2007, 03:43 AM
Administrator
Blog Editor
Picture of the Month Representative - Luxembourg
Royal Blogger

Quite a few royals are involved with microcredits
Old 07-25-2007, 04:16 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessRulz View Post
Quite a few royals are involved with microcredits

Only Maxima comes to mind.
Old 07-25-2007, 04:59 AM
Majesty
TRF Author

The late Prince Bernhard & Prince Philip, founding / presiding the WWF.
Old 07-25-2007, 06:14 AM
Administrator
Blog Editor
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by susan alicia View Post
Only Maxima comes to mind.
Here is a list of all the royals that are involved with microcredits - taken from the May 2007 newsletter on patronages

>Queen Sofia of Spain
>Queen Fabiola of Belgium
>Queen Rania of Jordan
>The Prince of Orange
>Crown Prince Haakon of Norway
>Princess Máxima of the Netherlands
>Crown Princess Mette-Marit of Norway
>The Duchess of Brabant
>Lalla Salma of Morocco

So, it is not just Máxima that is involved in microcredits, but a wide variety of royals
Old 07-25-2007, 06:42 AM
Commoner

Prince Charles, the Prince of Wales, is very much involved in environmental issues, keeping the world green etc. He's even created his own eco friendly town, a "model town" in England. Sorry I can't be more specific but I can't say I know all that much about it, only that he's trying his darndest to do his bit. He even talks to his plants!
Patrick.
Old 07-25-2007, 06:52 AM
Heir Presumptive

poundbury
Byens Fornyelse - Poundbury

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke of Windsor View Post
Prince Charles, the Prince of Wales, is very much involved in environmental issues, keeping the world green etc. He's even created his own eco friendly town, a "model town" in England. Sorry I can't be more specific but I can't say I know all that much about it, only that he's trying his darndest to do his bit. He even talks to his plants!
Patrick.
Old 07-25-2007, 07:14 AM
Serene Highness

I think they also make a difference when they lend their image and work to social organizations that could be in serious problem if they didn't have the Royal Sponsors.

And they influence people to help those organizations by the fact that they are there.

I see the excitement and recognition towards the foundations and institutions when their Royal pay a visit.

Sometimes the difference doesn't have to be a huge difference, but many small here and there make the world a better place specially for the less fortunate in our societies.
Old 07-25-2007, 09:32 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Here is a list of all the royals that are involved with microcredits - taken from the May 2007 newsletter on patronages

>Queen Sofia of Spain
>Queen Rania of Jordan
>The Prince of Orange
>The Duchess of Brabant
>Lalla Salma of Morocco

So, it is not just Máxima that is involved in microcredits, but a wide variety of royals
Microcredit is such a great thing, and I'm really glad all of these royals are helping with it. Didn't the one of the latest Nobel Peace Prize winners win for microcredit? I know that Queen Rania is huge with it, she talks about it often, I think that's one of the things she did for the Vanity Fair Africa issue, and didn't she talk about it on Oprah?
Old 07-26-2007, 02:30 AM
Administrator
Blog Editor
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by acdc1 View Post
... Didn't the one of the latest Nobel Peace Prize winners win for microcredit? ...
Yep, Professor Mohammed Yunus won last year's NPP for his work with microcredit. There were two video messages for him from royals: one from and one from Sofia

Old 08-05-2007, 04:55 PM
Serene Highness
TRF Author

Quote:

>Queen Sofia of Spain
>Queen Rania of Jordan
>The Prince of Orange
>The Duchess of Brabant
>Lalla Salma of Morocco

Thanks for this information, JessRulz. I didn't know that so many royals were involved with the microcredits, I knew only about Máxima and Queen Rania.
Old 08-05-2007, 04:59 PM
Heir Presumptive

The Princess of Wales was involved in anti-land mines campaign before she died. And she supported and patroned many AIDS charities.
Old 08-05-2007, 05:04 PM
Aristocracy

Prince Carl-Philip certainly makes the world a prettier place...
Old 08-06-2007, 01:29 PM
Heir Apparent

Infanta Cristina is the head of the Social Division of La Caixa, a spanish bank; they are involved in several projects around the world: alphabetization, health, microcredits, etc; she was even a missionary on Sierra Leona on the early 90's and helped in the hostage release of missioners (friends of her) in that country and she invited those missioners to her wedding and they said that they preferred to get some help for their people, so she gave them a full OR (which costed about 20 million); she also supervises a lot of projects from the Spanish Cooperation Agency

http://www.angolapress-angop.ao/noticia-e.asp?ID=525179
Caixa destina 3,5 millones euros a desarrollo socioeconómico América y Africa
http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o...080954_003.jpg
http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o...080954_002.jpg
SOCIEDAD | Sierra Leona. Declaraciones de los misioneros españoles liberados

Her husband Iñaki is a member of the Barcelona Foundation, which through sports helps young people with drug problems and has programs with illegal inmigrants and their children, the FC Barcelona gives 0.7% of all their annual budget to UNICEF; he also is the counselor of the Pernod Ricard Group for social affairs and drug problems prevention

La Fundación del Barça ficha a Urdangarín como patrono | El Periódico de Catalunya | Deportes
La Fundació del Barça ficha a Iñaki Urdangarín - SPORT - Barça
RSC.- Urdangarín asesorará al grupo francés de bebidas Pernod Ricard materia de responsabilidad social.
Old 08-07-2007, 04:20 AM
Heir Presumptive

Duchy Originals

prince charles sells organic products. Found a shop in Amsterdam that sells his cookies and jams. The raspberry jam with lime is wonderful and I like his choclate coated cookies too
Old 08-14-2007, 08:13 AM
Heir Presumptive

The Princess Royal had been president of the Save the Children Fund since 1970
Old 08-14-2007, 01:07 PM
Courtier

I really think that Diana did ALOT for AIDS when she was a Princess. At the time she lent her name and became a Patron, there was such stigma attached to AIDS because it was just coming into the forefront of the world. People were very ignorant about the disease.
With her caring and compasion and her ability to look past the stigma, she helped people understand the disease. She picked the right cause at the right time. since then, many other famous people have jumped on the band wagon, but before Pr. Diana, I don't think there were many famous people trying to help out with this horrible disease.
Old 08-16-2007, 06:04 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by susan alicia View Post
For instance Willem Alexander of the Netherlands is interested in watermanagement. Laurentien in analfabetism etc.
Hey susan alicia ... is analfabetism Swedish for illiteracy?
Old 08-16-2007, 11:57 AM
Heir Apparent

Queen Rania is UNICEF's first Eminent Advocate for Children

"Announced at the World Economic Forum now under way in Davos, Switzerland, the new role brings another dimension to Queen Rania’s global advocacy for child protection, early childhood development, gender parity in education and women’s empowerment."
UNICEF - At a glance: Jordan - Queen Rania brings passion and experience to new role as Eminent Advocate for Children

Rania has visited India, Pakistan and Morocco ( as well as other places) for her role.