The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 10-10-2005, 09:13 AM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiffyBallerina
How can people possibly say England? I know they can be your favorite family, but calling them well-run is generous (to say the absolute least).
I kinda agree with you, SpiffyBallerina. Both Diana and Sarah Ferguson claimed they got little to no training for their roles in the family.

I think all the families appeared to be well-run until the current generation starting marrying. Right now I'd say the best run family is run by Queen Beatrix of the Netherlands. At least she has a ready-made response if some members want out of the Royal household, just get married and don't ask the government to approve it. It keeps the Royal Household smaller and intact and the people involved can have a satisfactory life.

Old 10-10-2005, 01:48 PM
Royal Highness
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by ysbel
I kinda agree with you, SpiffyBallerina. Both Diana and Sarah Ferguson claimed they got little to no training for their roles in the family.
I'm not sure what preparation was made for Sarah, although Diana could have taken her in hand, if Diana had not become so alienated from the royal family.

But Diana rejected some attempts made to prepare her. I know that at least one member of Charles' staff tried to give her reading material about the previous Queens of England, and Diana didn't want to be bothered with it.

What Diana and Sarah both forgot was that the bureaucracy exists because it works. Had the girls chosen to work with the professionals, they would have had more guidance (instead, they decided to re-invent the wheel and ran amok).

Part of what makes a "good" royal is commonsense. Your best friends aren't reporters, you don't have your toes sucked outdoors where photogs can snap away, you don't badmouth your in-laws to reporters or authors...

The British Royals seem to have a lot of loose cannons... Prince Harry, Marina Ogilvy, the Lascelles, Viscount Linley, Princess Michael, Edward and Sophie, and Andrew (at times), Princess Anne, Zarah Phillips... not a tightly-run ship at all! (Not to mention Prince Philip and his interesting sound bites.)

Old 10-10-2005, 02:18 PM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowabelle
I'm not sure what preparation was made for Sarah, although Diana could have taken her in hand, if Diana had not become so alienated from the royal family.

But Diana rejected some attempts made to prepare her. I know that at least one member of Charles' staff tried to give her reading material about the previous Queens of England, and Diana didn't want to be bothered with it.

What Diana and Sarah both forgot was that the bureaucracy exists because it works. Had the girls chosen to work with the professionals, they would have had more guidance (instead, they decided to re-invent the wheel and ran amok).

Part of what makes a "good" royal is commonsense. Your best friends aren't reporters, you don't have your toes sucked outdoors where photogs can snap away, you don't badmouth your in-laws to reporters or authors...

The British Royals seem to have a lot of loose cannons... Prince Harry, Marina Ogilvy, the Lascelles, Viscount Linley, Princess Michael, Edward and Sophie, and Andrew (at times), Princess Anne, Zarah Phillips... not a tightly-run ship at all! (Not to mention Prince Philip and his interesting sound bites.)
LOL, iowabelle, I think you're right there. I didn't know about the aide giving her some reading material. What I was referring to was Diana's comment that they didn't know what to do with her (as far as what her role as Princess of Wales was) They were very good at telling her what not to do but not what to do.

I think Sarah said the only advice she got was from the Queen Mum not to wave so fast.

But you're right, some things are commonsense and looking at some of what came out of the Royal Household it looks like there's not enough of it going around.
Old 10-10-2005, 02:32 PM
Royal Highness
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

Maybe Diana would have been better off, if "The Firm" had employed more of the carrot and less of the stick. (At least, it works if you want to manage me!)

But it must be hard to stop the alienation, once it starts. It's a pity that the situation got so out of control.
Old 02-26-2006, 01:01 AM
Heir Apparent

The most well-run families are:

1. Spain: scandal-free, hardworkers, family unit, no leaks to the press whatsoever, with ETA danger they just can't hire everyone
2. Belgium: respect, work, tradition
3. Netherlands: beautiful family, too bad about the Bourbon-Parma saga

And to be honest the worst-run families are Monaco and UK, everything gets to the press, they need to learn how to hire people:(
Old 02-27-2006, 01:27 AM
Courtier

Other well run families are
Denmark, Sweden and Norway.
Old 02-27-2006, 02:27 AM
Royal Highness

Denmark - they must have one of the best PRs working for them, they practically make everything look good.

Sweden - the biggest scandal they basically ever had? Madeleine's boobs. I think that red Nobel dress was the highlight of the year 2002.

Belgium - what could you complain about? No scandal and perfectly poised.
Old 02-28-2006, 11:09 AM

I think that the Three Queens (Elizabeth, Margrethe and Beatrix) run their families the best, the northern European Royals are also well run, as is Japan.

:) :) :)

God Save The Queen!

Old 02-28-2006, 09:20 PM
Courtier

Belgium's royal family
Old 02-28-2006, 09:30 PM

Belgiums royal family is very interesting. Dont the children of the monarch serve as senators?

My European royalty, Titanic, and Political site!
Old 03-01-2006, 01:29 PM
Heir Apparent

In Belgium all the children of the Monarch are senators by right.
Old 03-01-2006, 03:19 PM
Aristocracy

Definitely the royal families of Denmark, Sweden, Norway and the Netherlands.

Worst run? The United Kingdom and Monaco, as much as I love the former.
Old 03-01-2006, 04:18 PM
Commoner

The most well run families are scandinavian royal families, they are modern and traditional in same time,they care a lot for social matters and they are down to earth.
The worst run family is Monaco - something is mising there.
Old 03-02-2006, 05:36 PM
Gentry

I think that both Queen Margrethe and King Carl Gustaf run their royal houses very well. The Spaniards are really, really professional, too.

As for the Belgians, they tend to be fairly scandal-free, but lately there has been some press over Crown Prince Phillipe making too many political statements, to the point the government is even thinking of changing the constitution to limit the little bit of power the king has left...that doesn't seem too professional to me. Also, some members of the Belgian family, especially the Queen, don't speak Flemish/Dutch too well and I think that reflects kind of poorly on them and the way their family is "run."
Old 03-03-2006, 01:28 AM
Commoner

definately the royal families of Sweden and Norway
Old 03-03-2006, 06:05 PM
Royal Highness

Location: Up the street,hang a left,3rd house from the corner, United States
I would have to say Norway and Sweden also. The families are both small, close, and supportive of one another. Their people seem to embrace them.

I should also include Liechtenstein especially since it is an absolute principality and the head of state seems to be doing a good job. At least the people of that country thinks so.
Old 03-03-2006, 06:55 PM
Courtier

Sweden, Denmark, Norway and Belgium
Old 10-06-2006, 01:42 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedom
Which royal family is the most well-run? By that I mean: which family handles personal matters best with the media, which family appears to have the most grounded values, which family is most embraced by its country's people, which family seems to have the most control over leading their lives as they want, etc...
The most well run royal family is the British Royal Family,the Danish Royal Family and the Swedish Royal Family.
Old 10-06-2006, 02:43 PM
Aristocracy

Definitely the scandinavian Royal families, and the Danish Royal family on top.
Old 10-24-2006, 01:20 AM
Nobility

The Swedish Royal Family looks to me from afar as the best run. The Royal siblings Victoria, Carl-Phillip and Madelaine are dedicated and well organised.
The Spanish Royal Family members seem to be focussed on a common mission that is keeping it running like a well-oiled machine.
The Danish Royal Family is very popular in their country so they seem to have a thing or two up their sleeve.
Maybe in these countries the Press too are not so intrusive as in Britain, therefore the Royals are not under constant pressure. Just a thought.