The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 10-07-2005, 06:51 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by norwegianne
Does it matter how much staff the royal families have, in terms of being "well-run"?
Great point Norwegianne, I'd say an efficient use of resources is a critical component of a well-run operation (in this case-family). So, a family with too many 'unjustifiable' staff members could signify a less than optimally run organization (family). :o

Old 10-07-2005, 11:12 AM
Aristocracy

I would say England and Sweden, i confess i do not know too much about other royal houses and it's members but Sweden seems to be a very well run unit whilst still remaining a good family and i am most likely to be a little biased when i say England, only because i have been exposed to them more than any of the other royal houses.

Old 10-07-2005, 02:57 PM
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by oskana
definetly denmark, sweden, and Lichtenstein.
Liechtenstein??? Prince Hans-Adam II ios threatening to leave Vaduz for Vienna every now and then, when the Liechtensteiners vote something which is aganst his will!

The Belgian RF seems to be almost faultless and the faults they do have are dealt with in an elegant way.
Old 10-07-2005, 03:02 PM
Courtier

How can people possibly say England? I know they can be your favorite family, but calling them well-run is generous (to say the absolute least). They cannot control their servants' mouths from talking to the press. There seems to be one incident after another in that family. Then there was that time that a member of the American press got a job in the palace just to see how easy it would be. This completely random person had access to the whole family and the American president and no one knew about it until he came out and said what he did. I just really don't understand the justification for calling that a well-run family. They are historic and powerful, but that doesn't necessarily translate into efficient or well-managed.
Old 10-07-2005, 03:41 PM
Serene Highness

I think Norway at the top..then The Netherlands and Spain. They seem to be able to handle anything that gets 'thrown' at them :)
Old 10-07-2005, 04:26 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiffyBallerina
Then there was that time that a member of the American press got a job in the palace just to see how easy it would be.
He was a member of the British press.
Old 10-07-2005, 08:15 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by selrahc4
He was a member of the British press.
I stand corrected.:o British or American, SOMEONE got in who wasn't supposed to be there!:p Thanks for the help!
Old 10-08-2005, 10:08 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
How can people possibly say England? I know they can be your favorite family, but calling them well-run is generous (to say the absolute least). They cannot control their servants' mouths from talking to the press. There seems to be one incident after another in that family. Then there was that time that a member of the American press got a job in the palace just to see how easy it would be. This completely random person had access to the whole family and the American president and no one knew about it until he came out and said what he did. I just really don't understand the justification for calling that a well-run family. They are historic and powerful, but that doesn't necessarily translate into efficient or well-managed.
I said England because despite these incidents the Queen and the rest of the family deal with them with dignity. A well run family to me doesn't mean they have to be scandal free, it's how these incidents are dealt with that make the family well run or not.
Old 10-08-2005, 12:20 PM
Courtier

Denmark, Liechtenstein, Luxembourg, Norway, Sweden, Belgium, Netherlands

Not necessary in this order
Old 10-08-2005, 01:48 PM
Aristocracy

Netherlands
Spain
Luxembourg
Sweden
Belgium
Norway
Old 10-08-2005, 03:59 PM
Courtier
Picture of the Month Representative - The Netherlands

Talking

-Netherlands
-Denmark
-Spain
-Sweden
-UK
-Norway
Old 10-08-2005, 04:00 PM
Courtier
Picture of the Month Representative - The Netherlands

Smile

Quote:
I think Queen Margrethe and Queen Beatrix run their houses the best. Both women are incredibly intelligent, professional, and still very warm and caring.
I definetely agree with you...
Old 10-08-2005, 09:29 PM
Aristocracy

I would say that the best run Royal Houses are:

- Denmark: The Danish Royal House seems perfect. Everything is just so, and they have very little to no bad press.

- Spain: The Spanish Royal House is very charitable. They, like Denmark, have everything just so, so that it appears very well run.

- Luxembourg: The Luxembourg Grand Ducal House is very modern, has little to no bad press, and is very "free." They treated the news of the upcoming fatherhood of 19 year old Prince Louis with respect and a professionalism that most other Royal Houses probably could not get away with doing.
Old 10-09-2005, 04:40 AM
Heir Apparent

In Denmark, all the royal staff are "fired"*/given the option to retire when a new monarch takes over - is it like that in the other royal houses? Do you think that's a way to keep a monarchy well-run, by starting anew with the staff?

*And then rehired, if they want to be.
Old 10-09-2005, 06:31 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by norwegianne
In Denmark, all the royal staff are "fired"*/given the option to retire when a new monarch takes over - is it like that in the other royal houses? Do you think that's a way to keep a monarchy well-run, by starting anew with the staff?

*And then rehired, if they want to be.
I never knew that, maybe thats not so good, when a new monarch takes over, they need to be get used to the routine of the household etc, not start a new one just as they start. I guess it stopes the stability and continuity of the daily household routine in the crucial adjustment time of the new monarch.
Then again, this is just one small aspect. Otherwise the DRF is the most well run.
Old 10-09-2005, 01:17 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy
I said England because despite these incidents the Queen and the rest of the family deal with them with dignity. A well run family to me doesn't mean they have to be scandal free, it's how these incidents are dealt with that make the family well run or not.
There is no such thing as an English royal family, they died out in 1603. The Windsors are the British royal family.
Old 10-09-2005, 02:52 PM
Royal Highness

MONACO - ok they're not royal ...but
Old 10-09-2005, 03:06 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iain
There is no such thing as an English royal family, they died out in 1603. The Windsors are the British royal family.
England has a royal family--the same family as Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland have. If you're so nitpicky--there is no British royal family as well, only the royal family of the United Kingdom.
Old 10-10-2005, 02:19 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mapple
England has a royal family--the same family as Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland have. If you're so nitpicky--there is no British royal family as well, only the royal family of the United Kingdom.
It is not a case of nitpicking only of stating the facts. As you say, they are the royal family of Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland and England and it really makes people in the other three countries very angry when people insist on refering to them as "England's" royal family.
Old 10-10-2005, 08:54 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iain
Sorry for the error, i didn't intend my post to be fact perfect but neither did i intend it to cause any anger and offence. I am well aware that there are other countries in Britain aside from England as my family has very deep rooted Scottish links.