The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 06-29-2010, 03:43 PM
Courtier

This is very interesting with regards to official banquets or dinner galas that royals so often times need to attend and where multiple courses of menus are served with all sorts of food. I am wondering whether the cooks are always informed in advance on the special eating preferences of the royals so that for example vegetarians get a special treat.

Old 08-31-2010, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cordonez View Post
I've always wondered if there were a vegetarian royal how do they handle engagements where meat is served? I am a vegetarian myself and struggle often in restaurants and such...
There was an interview published some time ago where Queen Sophia was talking about the rudeness of the late king Hassan II of Morocco. Whenever this king visited Spain, he would bring his own food and cooks probably because he didn't trust his hosts. On the other hand, Her Majesty described how during a visit to Morocco, Hassan II intentionally served food filled with meat despite knowing about Queen Sophia's vegetarianism.

Old 09-01-2010, 01:56 AM
Royal Highness

Cool

Infanta Cristina is a vegetarian. When Juan Carlos and Sofia visited President Bush at his ranch, he served a real Texas meal with lots of meat. Oops!
Old 09-01-2010, 02:43 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cordonez View Post
I've always wondered if there were a vegetarian royal how do they handle engagements where meat is served? I am a vegetarian myself and struggle often in restaurants and such...
I know for sure that when state visits are organised (months in advance) that details such as what will be eaten etc at all the banquets and things will have been worked out in advance.

My partner eats no fish or meat and so I do sympathise with you about the problems in restaurants. Although most restaurants that I know of have a vegetarian option, it's usually just one option and he hates eggs, mushrooms, tomatoes and peanuts so he often has had to have just a salad and side order of chips/French fries. From experience I'm not sure the U.S., Spain or France are reknowned for their vegetarian cuisine and so I only hope that Queen Sofia manages to find something good to eat!
Old 06-21-2016, 10:44 AM
Royal Highness

That royalty are vegetarians or vegans? The Queen Sofia think doesn't eat meat, but I've read somewhere that eats fish.
Old 06-21-2016, 11:22 AM
Royal Highness

Queen Sofia is not vegetarian. She doesn't eat meat, but she eats fish.
Old 06-21-2016, 02:05 PM
Heir Presumptive

Princess Sofia of Sweden is a pescatarian (vegetarian, but eats fish) Sofia Hellqvist and Prince Carl Philip's Pre-Wedding Dinner : People.com
Old 06-21-2016, 02:42 PM
Royal Highness

Also went on to say that the Queen Letizia was a vegetarian, but I don't think that's true.
Old 06-21-2016, 02:45 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

I've never read that Letizia is a vegetarian ,I don't think its true.
Old 06-21-2016, 03:31 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacknch View Post
I know for sure that when state visits are organised (months in advance) that details such as what will be eaten etc at all the banquets and things will have been worked out in advance.

My partner eats no fish or meat and so I do sympathise with you about the problems in restaurants. Although most restaurants that I know of have a vegetarian option, it's usually just one option and he hates eggs, mushrooms, tomatoes and peanuts so he often has had to have just a salad and side order of chips/French fries. From experience I'm not sure the U.S., Spain or France are reknowned for their vegetarian cuisine and so I only hope that Queen Sofia manages to find something good to eat!
From what I know of French and Spanish cuisine they have a wide variety of meatless dishes. If Sofia was as picky a piscetarian as your husband, especially the eggs, perhaps not. I worked as a nanny in the UK for my first year there after my undergrad degree. The family were big foodies, and while not vegetarian, they ate very little meat. I had to get creative as I grew up in a meat and potatoes kind of house. I took a lot of recipes from cookbooks they had which included some French and Spanish. Eggs though featured high in a few I remember well though.

I am sure at least for state banquets, most hosts will be made aware of a vegetarian guest and have an option on the menu. I just read an article about how when the PM of India visited Bangladesh, the state banquet was completely vegetarian to honor the PM who is a strict vegetarian.
Old 06-22-2016, 11:17 AM
Majesty

poor bush - they probably wanted to welcome the spanish royals with the best of texas with some great texan meat (bbq is their signature dish), without realising sofia's eating habits. as this was a semi-private gathering, maybe the word of her not eating meat didn't reach her. however, being the president of the US and most likely having a whole army of chefs even in his private ranch, i am sure they quickly had someone making some alternative food for sofia.

EDIT: i found an article from the visit, and it would appear that the bushes did indeed cater to the queen's vegetarianism, and didn't seem to do a bbq lunch. instead, they did what looks to me to be a thanksgiving themed lunch with 'turkey and fish, mashed sweet potatoes with maple syrup and chipotle peppers, pan-roasted root vegetables with walnuts and apples, cornbread stuffing, pecan and pumpkin pie and Blue Bell ice cream, a Texas favorite.'

http://articles.latimes.com/2004/nov...fg-bushspain25

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisrEmiri View Post
There was an interview published some time ago where Queen Sophia was talking about the rudeness of the late king Hassan II of Morocco. Whenever this king visited Spain, he would bring his own food and cooks probably because he didn't trust his hosts. On the other hand, Her Majesty described how during a visit to Morocco, Hassan II intentionally served food filled with meat despite knowing about Queen Sophia's vegetarianism.
very interesting revelations from a very measured royal figure as is sofia - the always perfect, discrete royal.
i find it odd that the king of morocco would do such thing as to bring his own staff out of distrust. in any case, the spanish and moroccan royals seem very close, so i wonder how true this is, and whether the media 'interpreted' sofia's words...
http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/
Take some time to sign the petitions @: http://www.thepetitionsite.com/animal-welfare/all
Old 06-29-2016, 08:49 PM
Serene Highness

Knowing that a royal is vegetarian and doesn't eat certain things, the chef or those cooking would make dishes that they could eat. It's a lot easier these days to make recipes and foods for those who are vegetarian than it would be 30 or 40 years ago.

I remember a friend of mine who experimented with being a vegetarian in the mid-west said it was a challenge prior to the 1960's to make a dish which wasn't boring or a vegetarian dish that tasted good. It also was very difficult to find a vegetarian cookbook.
Old 06-29-2016, 09:14 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlota View Post
poor bush - they probably wanted to welcome the spanish royals with the best of texas with some great texan meat (bbq is their signature dish), without realising sofia's eating habits. as this was a semi-private gathering, maybe the word of her not eating meat didn't reach her. however, being the president of the US and most likely having a whole army of chefs even in his private ranch, i am sure they quickly had someone making some alternative food for sofia.

EDIT: i found an article from the visit, and it would appear that the bushes did indeed cater to the queen's vegetarianism, and didn't seem to do a bbq lunch. instead, they did what looks to me to be a thanksgiving themed lunch with 'turkey and fish, mashed sweet potatoes with maple syrup and chipotle peppers, pan-roasted root vegetables with walnuts and apples, cornbread stuffing, pecan and pumpkin pie and Blue Bell ice cream, a Texas favorite.'

Spanish Royals Visit Bush at Ranch - latimes

very interesting revelations from a very measured royal figure as is sofia - the always perfect, discrete royal.
i find it odd that the king of morocco would do such thing as to bring his own staff out of distrust. in any case, the spanish and moroccan royals seem very close, so i wonder how true this is, and whether the media 'interpreted' sofia's words...

It was close to Thanksgiving when they were in Texas, so it made sense to serve such a meal. Fortunately Sofia is a pescetarian and eats fish. I have vegetarian friends who complain that all they get are 'sides'. Many hosts think just leaving off the meat is a suitable meal. A plate full of sides is just that. There a lot of fantastic vegetarian main courses out there.

I think she is lucky in Spain/France. Unless a picky piscetarian. There are tons of fabulous egg, vegetable and so dishes in the Iberian countries and Mediterranean as well (likely proximity to many African cultures that have a high level of vegetarians is a good influence). I worked as a nanny for a family in Oxford, and the rare meat they ate was shell fish. I grew up in a meat and potato home so cooking for them was hard. Their Spanish and Med. cook books were my go to, French time to time.

But the Bushes easily could have done a BBQ. There are a lot of great vegetarian recipes for the grill.

Tags
royals, vegetarian