Unfaithful Royals

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

marian

Nobility
City
mexico
Country
Mexico
I wanted to know on this topic. I know that the king Albert II of Belgium had an illegitimate child, and I want to Know if is be:wub: true of that the king Juan Carlos cheats his wife?

Paola and Albert had problems in their marriage. I read that Juan Carlos had a romance with a star of name Barbara Rey. Is true this?

I have read also of the infidelities of the duke of Edinburgh, certainly, the prince and princess of Wales, Rainier of Monaco and of his children and his sister, between others.

and didn't Mark Phillips, Princess Anne's husband, have an illegitimate child?

Hmmm... What do I know is that is that it almost was a rule for kings and princes in older times to be unfaithful. But here in Sweden, we haven't been sure of any royal being unfaithful since the 19th century. The two brothers Carl XV and Oscar II, who both became kings, were both undoubtly unfaithful to their wives. But after that, we don't know.

Does it have to be royal men being unfaithul to thier waives? When it comes to women, I can only think of Edward VIII of England's wife, who is an American. However, I forgot her name. I think it happened in the 1920 or may be early. I felt so sorry for Edward VIII who abdicate his throne and married her. She ended up cheating on him. Becasue of that reason, QEII's papa became the king. Several years ago, there was a program talked about her in history channel. What happened to their marriage at end, were they still together?

I don't think she cheated after they got married. There were some papers released a few years ago that suggested that she was 'dating' someone else at the same time that she was 'dating' Prince Edward.

Her name was Wallis Simpson, she was dating The Prince of Wales, later Edward VIII and after the abdication he became The Duke of Windsor they married on June 3 1937 appx. six months after he abdicated. They remained married until Edward's death in May 1972. Wallis who at that point was known as the Duchess of Windsor died in April 1986. They were buried side by side at Frogmore.

If you want more information

Wikipedia
Edward VIII http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edward_VIII_of_the_United_Kingdom
Wallis Simpson http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wallis%2C_The_Duchess_of_Windsor
The Abdication Crisis of 1936 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edward_VIII_abdication_crisis

From the Royal Forums

http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f23/duke-duchess-windsor-10245.html
http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f61/duchess-windsor-10828.html (Book Review)

Queen Elizabeth II father was George VI he was Edward VIII younger brother

wanderer said:
Does it have to be royal men being unfaithul to thier waives? When it comes to women, I can only think of Edward VIII of England's wife, who is an American. However, I forgot her name. I think it happened in the 1920 or may be early. I felt so sorry for Edward VIII who abdicate his throne and married her. She ended up cheating on him. Becasue of that reason, QEII's papa became the king. Several years ago, there was a program talked about her in history channel. What happened to their marriage at end, were they still together?
Her name is Wallis Warfield Simpson (?). If I'm correct they remained married until they died. And I do actually believe she did infact cheat on her husband. I remember seeing something about her on either The History Channel or BBC America, anyways, one of those channels did say that she had.

There were some government papers released recently, dating from the 1930s, which claimed that Mrs Simpson was having an affair with a car salesman at the same time that she was in a relationship with the king, but that doesn't necessarily mean the information in the papers is true. If the government were hoping to separate Mrs Simpson and the king, fabricating or exaggerating another relationship would be the best way to do it.

The best place to discuss the Windsor relationship is in the Duke and Duchess of Windsor thread in the British forum:

http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f23/duke-duchess-windsor-10245.html?highlight=wallis

Back in the day, most marriages were arranged for the Crown Princes of their respective countries. It was to protect the sacred lineage of royalty and also forge alliances, a way to get large amounts of money and trade deals. Usually a princess brought a large dowry, a stream of peace treaties (rather than war), and a well groomed personality. The Crown Prince and his wife were married irrespective of their feelings, they were literally pawns of their families. Marriages were arranged to suit the family, not the personal inclinations. As for the mistresses, sometimes they were better treated than the wives!

marian said:
I wanted to know on this topic. I know that the king Albert II of Belgium had an illegitimate child, and I want to Know if is be:wub: true of that the king Juan Carlos cheats his wife?

Paola and Albert had problems in their marriage. I read that Juan Carlos had a romance with a star of name Barbara Rey. Is true this?

I have read also of the infidelities of the duke of Edinburgh, certainly, the prince and princess of Wales, Rainier of Monaco and of his children and his sister, between others.

I read somewhere [a while back in woman's day (weekly australian mag) they were doing a story on tragic princesses (roughly after princess mary's wedding)] that under the article about princess diana: "she sought to gain charles attention" by sleeping with Juan Carols of spain when diana and charles visited juan carlos + sophia in spain.
I also read somewhere on another message board that Albert II is not the biological father of prince laurent. just guessing by the facts: daphne was born around the same time as laurent (please correct me if i am wrong). i guess poala and albert kissed and made up.

I read somewhere [a while back in woman's day (weekly australian mag) they were doing a story on tragic princesses (roughly after princess mary's wedding)] that under the article about princess diana: "she sought to gain charles attention" by sleeping with Juan Carols of spain when diana and charles visited juan carlos + sophia in spain.

I also read this, but not in that magazine, it was somewhere else but I can't quite recall. I read that Queen Sofia found out and actually banned Princess Diana from the Spanish royal court/ palace

I remember when Andrew Morton called King Juan Carlos a "playboy king" (his words) in his book about Diana (the first one). But I never see evidence of that. I think before he married Sofia, he dated a lot of women and might have been (I don't know) a playboy. Maybe he even cheated on her after his marriage. I would be surprised by it if it was ever confirmed true because he doesn't seem like that. Perhaps their marriage had a difficult period in the 70s or 80s, who knows. They strike me as absolutely devoted to each other, but I also know that some of the best marriages go through bad times. The test of a great marriage is how well it overcomes those bad times.

Australian said:
I also read this, but not in that magazine, it was somewhere else but I can't quite recall. I read that Queen Sofia found out and actually banned Princess Diana from the Spanish royal court/ palace
I didn't know it. So what some people say about Juan Carlos and Diana is true?
Poor Sofia :sad:

We are keeping this thread open for now. However, this topic tend to open up rumors and speculation. Please be cautious and back up your comments with actual articles and books as some of you have already done.

...JuAnItA... said:
I didn't know it. So what some people say about Juan Carlos and Diana is true?
Poor Sofia :sad:

Nobody knows if it is true or not, I think Ennyllorac is right and we should have some sort of reference to back it up before we confirm if something is true or not. I think it is just a rumour.

Australian said:
Nobody knows if it is true or not, I think Ennyllorac is right and we should have some sort of reference to back it up before we confirm if something is true or not. I think it is just a rumour.

Nooo, I don't think anyone has ever implied Diana and Juan Carlos had an affair! All that was stated in Diana: Her true story (Andrew Morton) was that Diana and Charles vacationed on the Fortuna with the Spanish royals in 1986 and they had a very nice holiday, lounging around Marivent Palace, but Morton used the adjective "playboy" to describe Juan Carlos. That is all. Oh, he also said at some other point in the book that Prince Charles played polo with "playboy King Juan Carlos of Spain." I do not know why Morton described Juan Carlos that way because I never thought of Juan Carlos as a playboy. All I was saying was that he has been described that way by some, apparently, whether it's true or not, I don't know. I adore Juan Carlos, and it would very much surprise me if it's true he cheated on Sofia. According to a recent biography of him, written by Paul Preston, King Juan Carlos before his marriage to Sofia had a long-term relationship, a distant cousin (of the Savoy clan, I think her name was Maria Gabriella?) and his family approved her so much that they put some pressure on him to marry her, but then he met Sofia and fell in love, and they were no impressed with Sofia because she was from a deposed royal family, but alas, he was a man in love, and how can you restrain a determined heart?
It would so surprise me if he cheated....
But I don't think anyone ever implied that he cheated on her with Diana. :ohmy:
I never heard that rumor.
I'm curious though..... does the Spanish tabloids portray him as a playboy?
I know they would portray his son Felipe like that before his marriage to Letizia (the models, Eva Sannum, etc.)

I can't remember where I read it, but flctylu obviously read the sme thing from another place. I don't think its true though. But i won't comment on it anymore because I don't have a reference :)

Paul preston wrote, in his book " juan Carlos, the king of the people" that the king had a romance with the princess maria gabriela of saboya, whom it he embarrassed and then it he,retired to marry sofia. It hehad, also, in his youth, a lover, the countess Olghina Nicolis de Robilant, also intimacy had with it, and, apparently, they had a daughter.

Well, hmm. We all seem to agree that King Juan Carlos has had infidelities, but I think we need to get off the JC-Princess Diana subject, because this seems like a volitile issue, and I don't want this thread to have to be closed. (this is just a suggestion, not a threat, and I don't mean anyone any offense by it)

We know, from many sources, that both Prince Charles and Princess Diana did have affair(s) during their marriage, and that that was one reason for their divorce. Prince Charles had Camilla, who was also married, and whose husband was a friend of the royal family (wasn't he a godparent or groomsman for Charles or Anne?) and Diana... well, I don't remember the names of the men she was with. I think one was a doctor, but I don't remember who the other was.

I do know, from history, that many 'older' (meaning from the early 1900s and before) had mistresses. A very famous, very long ago example would be Julius Caesar, who was married to another woman when he met Cleopatra.

Have any of the current crown princes (besides Prince Charles of Wales) had affairs? Or any of the current crown princesses? (besides Pricess Diana of Wales, and Camilla, Duchess of Cornwall)

marian said:

I didnt know there was any gossip about Rainier of monaco , after her married Princess Grace's ???

I thought that Juan Carlos was madly in love with Maria Gabriella? It was just a fling? I never understood why they didn't marry. I do remember that he eventually decided to marry Sofia (Who is an outstanding Queen). Any feedback is appreciated.

CasiraghiTrio said:
According to a recent biography of him, written by Paul Preston, King Juan Carlos before his marriage to Sofia had a long-term relationship, a distant cousin (of the Savoy clan, I think her name was Maria Gabriella?)

You may are talking about Maria Gabriella di Savoia, sister of Vittorio Emmanuelle, the just deposed chief of the House of Savoia, being the royal House of Italy. Maria Gavriella lives in Geneva since many many years, so it could be true, as King Juan Carlos spent many years in Switzerland when he was young. But her family was already deposed, her father reigned only 1 or 2 years I think, they were chassed from Italy after the WWII, and they returned only abt 60 years after.

CasiraghiTrio said:
and his family approved her so much that they put some pressure on him to marry her, but then he met Sofia and fell in love, and they were no impressed with Sofia because she was from a deposed royal family,

When Juan Carlos met Sofia she was the daughter of a powerfull reigning King (Pavlos of Greece). THey married in may 1962, in full glory in Athens, Greece being a Kingdom at this time. Her family became deposed only about 7 years after, but in the moment of marrying him, she was very powerfull, not him. On the opposite, when they got engaged, it was considered quite a "misalliance", for her, because Franco was alive, Juan Carlos was deposed without any future, nor an official role, and living in Spain a very risky life, because nobody knew what Franco would decide for him, even the worst....
It was a real love wedding, but the commun sense AT THIS TIME was that Sofia made a bad marriage.

The first years of their married life in Spain were very very difficult, being constantly under political suspicions and rounded by Franco's spies. Even financially, they were really very very tight, their only income was a allowance from the greek state (which should have stopped when Greece chassed the King Constantin, in 1968-69), and the help of the Grands d'Espagne, rich and faithfull to the KIng. All this for Sofia, was very hard, and really out of the life she has been raised to live.
Sorry the subject was in King Juan was cheating her, I do not know, but it would sound strange to me, after all the difficult life the managed to overcome together, as a team and family.

CasiraghiTrio said:
I know they would portray his son Felipe like that before his marriage to Letizia (the models, Eva Sannum, etc.)

Felipe was single, and he had always had quite long relationships, Isabel Sartorius abt 2 years, Gigi Howard, also, Eva Sannum abt 4 years, it does not make him as playboy.

Last edited:
Bárbara Rey(an actress) tried to blackmail Juan Carlos :neutral:
source: this book
06520968360000m01011.jpg

http://www.elcorteingles.es/libros/producto/libro_descripcion.asp?CODIISBN=849734264X

The most famous lover was or is (¿?) Marta Gayá http://www.google.es/search?hl=es&q=marta%20gaya&sa=N&tab=iw

Last edited:
sm1939 said:
I didnt know there was any gossip about Rainier of monaco , after her married Princess Grace's ???

Apparently there have been rumors, but I never hear or read any follow up specifics to those rumors. A few people, when discovering my interest in the grimaldis, have asked me, "Is it true Grace had infidelities during her marriage?" If I was just to guess, I would say no, because it seems probable that people somehow confuse her pre-marital lifestyle, which did include many Hollywood lovers, with the marriage. The reason I believe this is just that, as I said, I've never read any satisfactory specifics to back up the rumors. I guess you could say she might have cheated with this or that guy friend with whom she was photographed on some occasions, or whatever, but the speculation is just so vague. I don't see how "journalists" can get away with writing "so and so might have done this because here they are, in 10 pictures, ten moments together, embracing..." There are so many contexts in which people, especially in European countries, can embrace: greeting, joy, consoling, playful....
I don't know, maybe she did, maybe she didn't. I've also heard rumors about Rainier cheating on her. As to that, I only know of one other relationship he had, and that was before the marriage (or maybe it continued, I don't know); she was a poor actress, I think. He wanted to marry her but she didn't want to give up her dream of being a successful actress just to be a princess. I'm positive many here know more details and exactly what I'm refering to, and probably have more accurate info.
;)

BTW, thank you, Fandes. for the comments you made on my Juan Carlos post. You did a very nice job filling in my gaps of memory and correcting the finer points on which I had forgotten. I had it in my memory that Sofia's brother lost the Greek throne a few years before the marriage, so I got it totally backwards and it was her father, King Paul, that lost it, that's right, Konstantinos/Constantine inherited the "defunct throne."
Yeah, it was Maria Gabriella di Savoia. According to Preston's book, she was a childhood friend and they dated later, and apparently, apart from Sofia, she was the closest relationship he's had. I think they were so close she expected he would propose, but he dithered, and eventually met Sofia, and the rest is history. But apparently, she got over the bitterness and they are actually on good terms now.

I was not saying anything against Felipe at all. All I said was that before his marriage, the press liked to portray him as this Randy Andy type, courting all sorts of model/actress-types and leading the playboy lifestyle.
I'm certain he is very devoted to his wife. I was just making a reference to the media's portrayal of his "eligible bachelor" period. He did have long relationships, but I think the media liked to say he was a playboy, no?

Redferns said:
Bárbara Rey(an actress) tried to blackmail Juan Carlos :neutral:
source: this book
http://www.elcorteingles.es/libros/producto/libro_descripcion.asp?CODIISBN=849734264X

The most famous lover was or is (¿?) Marta Gayá http://www.google.es/search?hl=es&q=marta%20gaya&sa=N&tab=iw

I remember reading about Marta Gaya in a Royalty magazine. Apparently the Queen was really upset about this affair and actually made a dash for the airport in the middle of the night with her kids in tow. She was showing the King that she meant business and had every intention of leaving. She was however stopped at the airport and not allowed to board.

Last edited by a moderator:
Prinses Lauren10 said:
This is the daughter of King Albert of Belgium
her name is Delphine Boël, her mother's name is Sybille de Selys-Longchamps
A mistress(?) of albert
Photo: keizerrijken.org
Oh so this is Delphine?Thanks for posting a pic of her.

Last edited by a moderator:
"Albert has a daughter Delphine Boël by Sybille, Baroness de Selys Longchamps. Delphine was born on 22 February 1968 and bears the name of Jacques Boël the husband of her mother Sybille (Jacques and Sybille were married in 1962). "[from Monarchies of Europe]
English http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delphine_Bo%C3%ABl
French http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delphine_Bo%C3%ABl
http://www.koningkeizerrijken.info/delphine-boel.htm

Few photos of her:
http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~fergy/DelphineBoel.jpg
http://pro.corbis.com/search/searchFrame.aspx

CasiraghiTrio said:
, .
;)
BTW, thank you, Fandes. for the comments you made on my Juan Carlos post. You did a very nice job filling in my gaps of memory and correcting the finer points on which I had forgotten.

You are welcome, Casiraghi trio, ..
Sofia's brother lost the Greek throne a few years AFTER the marriage,
SOFIA's father, King Pavlos died on 1964 (two years after JC & S wedding), BEING A KING IN THRONE. 4 years after Constantinos, lost the throne.

CasiraghiTrio said:
, .;)
Yeah, it was Maria Gabriella di Savoia. According to Preston's book, she was a childhood friend and they dated later, and apparently, apart from Sofia, she was the closest relationship he's had. I think they were so close she expected he would propose, but he dithered, and eventually met Sofia, and the rest is history. But apparently, she got over the bitterness and they are actually on good terms now.
Very interesting, thanks for info, this is the good point of such threads, we put our knowledges together.

fandesacs2003 said:
Sofia's brother lost the Greek throne a few years AFTER the marriage
SOFIA's father, King Pavlos died on 1964 (two years after JC & S wedding), BEING A KING IN THRONE. 4 years after Constantinos, lost the throne.

Ok, I think I got it straight now: Sofia's pop is king, she marries Juan Carlos, her pop dies, and then her brother became king, four years later, Konstantinos loses the throne. Whew! You're making me use my brain too much, fandesacs!:lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom