The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 10-15-2006, 05:49 PM
Nobility

Unfaithful royals

I wanted to know on this topic. I know that the king Albert II of Belgium had an illegitimate child, and I want to Know if is be true of that the king Juan Carlos cheats his wife?

Paola and Albert had problems in their marriage. I read that Juan Carlos had a romance with a star of name Barbara Rey. Is true this?

I have read also of the infidelities of the duke of Edinburgh, certainly, the prince and princess of Wales, Rainier of Monaco and of his children and his sister, between others.

Old 10-15-2006, 09:41 PM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Month Coordinator

and didn't Mark Phillips, Princess Anne's husband, have an illegitimate child?

Old 10-15-2006, 10:40 PM
Serene Highness

Hmmm... What do I know is that is that it almost was a rule for kings and princes in older times to be unfaithful. But here in Sweden, we haven't been sure of any royal being unfaithful since the 19th century. The two brothers Carl XV and Oscar II, who both became kings, were both undoubtly unfaithful to their wives. But after that, we don't know.
Old 10-15-2006, 10:58 PM
Aristocracy

Does it have to be royal men being unfaithul to thier waives? When it comes to women, I can only think of Edward VIII of England's wife, who is an American. However, I forgot her name. I think it happened in the 1920 or may be early. I felt so sorry for Edward VIII who abdicate his throne and married her. She ended up cheating on him. Becasue of that reason, QEII's papa became the king. Several years ago, there was a program talked about her in history channel. What happened to their marriage at end, were they still together?
Old 10-15-2006, 11:10 PM
Courtier

I don't think she cheated after they got married. There were some papers released a few years ago that suggested that she was 'dating' someone else at the same time that she was 'dating' Prince Edward.

Her name was Wallis Simpson, she was dating The Prince of Wales, later Edward VIII and after the abdication he became The Duke of Windsor they married on June 3 1937 appx. six months after he abdicated. They remained married until Edward's death in May 1972. Wallis who at that point was known as the Duchess of Windsor died in April 1986. They were buried side by side at Frogmore.

If you want more information

Wikipedia
Edward VIII http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edward_...United_Kingdom
Wallis Simpson http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wallis%...ess_of_Windsor
The Abdication Crisis of 1936 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edward_...ication_crisis

From the Royal Forums

http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums...sor-10245.html
http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums...sor-10828.html (Book Review)

Queen Elizabeth II father was George VI he was Edward VIII younger brother

Map for the British Royals
Old 10-15-2006, 11:18 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderer
Does it have to be royal men being unfaithul to thier waives? When it comes to women, I can only think of Edward VIII of England's wife, who is an American. However, I forgot her name. I think it happened in the 1920 or may be early. I felt so sorry for Edward VIII who abdicate his throne and married her. She ended up cheating on him. Becasue of that reason, QEII's papa became the king. Several years ago, there was a program talked about her in history channel. What happened to their marriage at end, were they still together?
Her name is Wallis Warfield Simpson (?). If I'm correct they remained married until they died. And I do actually believe she did infact cheat on her husband. I remember seeing something about her on either The History Channel or BBC America, anyways, one of those channels did say that she had.
Old 10-15-2006, 11:45 PM
Imperial Majesty

There were some government papers released recently, dating from the 1930s, which claimed that Mrs Simpson was having an affair with a car salesman at the same time that she was in a relationship with the king, but that doesn't necessarily mean the information in the papers is true. If the government were hoping to separate Mrs Simpson and the king, fabricating or exaggerating another relationship would be the best way to do it.

The best place to discuss the Windsor relationship is in the Duke and Duchess of Windsor thread in the British forum:

http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums...ghlight=wallis
Old 10-16-2006, 02:06 AM
Aristocracy

Back in the day, most marriages were arranged for the Crown Princes of their respective countries. It was to protect the sacred lineage of royalty and also forge alliances, a way to get large amounts of money and trade deals. Usually a princess brought a large dowry, a stream of peace treaties (rather than war), and a well groomed personality. The Crown Prince and his wife were married irrespective of their feelings, they were literally pawns of their families. Marriages were arranged to suit the family, not the personal inclinations. As for the mistresses, sometimes they were better treated than the wives!
Old 10-16-2006, 02:50 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by marian
I wanted to know on this topic. I know that the king Albert II of Belgium had an illegitimate child, and I want to Know if is be true of that the king Juan Carlos cheats his wife?

Paola and Albert had problems in their marriage. I read that Juan Carlos had a romance with a star of name Barbara Rey. Is true this?

I have read also of the infidelities of the duke of Edinburgh, certainly, the prince and princess of Wales, Rainier of Monaco and of his children and his sister, between others.
I read somewhere [a while back in woman's day (weekly australian mag) they were doing a story on tragic princesses (roughly after princess mary's wedding)] that under the article about princess diana: "she sought to gain charles attention" by sleeping with Juan Carols of spain when diana and charles visited juan carlos + sophia in spain.
I also read somewhere on another message board that Albert II is not the biological father of prince laurent. just guessing by the facts: daphne was born around the same time as laurent (please correct me if i am wrong). i guess poala and albert kissed and made up.
Old 10-16-2006, 03:05 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
I read somewhere [a while back in woman's day (weekly australian mag) they were doing a story on tragic princesses (roughly after princess mary's wedding)] that under the article about princess diana: "she sought to gain charles attention" by sleeping with Juan Carols of spain when diana and charles visited juan carlos + sophia in spain.

I also read this, but not in that magazine, it was somewhere else but I can't quite recall. I read that Queen Sofia found out and actually banned Princess Diana from the Spanish royal court/ palace
Old 10-16-2006, 05:45 AM

I remember when Andrew Morton called King Juan Carlos a "playboy king" (his words) in his book about Diana (the first one). But I never see evidence of that. I think before he married Sofia, he dated a lot of women and might have been (I don't know) a playboy. Maybe he even cheated on her after his marriage. I would be surprised by it if it was ever confirmed true because he doesn't seem like that. Perhaps their marriage had a difficult period in the 70s or 80s, who knows. They strike me as absolutely devoted to each other, but I also know that some of the best marriages go through bad times. The test of a great marriage is how well it overcomes those bad times.
Old 10-16-2006, 06:41 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Australian
I also read this, but not in that magazine, it was somewhere else but I can't quite recall. I read that Queen Sofia found out and actually banned Princess Diana from the Spanish royal court/ palace
I didn't know it. So what some people say about Juan Carlos and Diana is true?
Poor Sofia
Old 10-16-2006, 06:45 AM
Royal Highness

We are keeping this thread open for now. However, this topic tend to open up rumors and speculation. Please be cautious and back up your comments with actual articles and books as some of you have already done.
Old 10-16-2006, 07:41 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by ...JuAnItA...
I didn't know it. So what some people say about Juan Carlos and Diana is true?
Poor Sofia
Nobody knows if it is true or not, I think Ennyllorac is right and we should have some sort of reference to back it up before we confirm if something is true or not. I think it is just a rumour.
Old 10-16-2006, 07:43 AM
Nobility

Belgium's Albert II has a daughter with a Baroness,who was born out of wedlock.Her name is Delphine Boel.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delphine_Boel
from wikipedia.org.
Old 10-16-2006, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Australian
Nobody knows if it is true or not, I think Ennyllorac is right and we should have some sort of reference to back it up before we confirm if something is true or not. I think it is just a rumour.
Nooo, I don't think anyone has ever implied Diana and Juan Carlos had an affair! All that was stated in Diana: Her true story (Andrew Morton) was that Diana and Charles vacationed on the Fortuna with the Spanish royals in 1986 and they had a very nice holiday, lounging around Marivent Palace, but Morton used the adjective "playboy" to describe Juan Carlos. That is all. Oh, he also said at some other point in the book that Prince Charles played polo with "playboy King Juan Carlos of Spain." I do not know why Morton described Juan Carlos that way because I never thought of Juan Carlos as a playboy. All I was saying was that he has been described that way by some, apparently, whether it's true or not, I don't know. I adore Juan Carlos, and it would very much surprise me if it's true he cheated on Sofia. According to a recent biography of him, written by Paul Preston, King Juan Carlos before his marriage to Sofia had a long-term relationship, a distant cousin (of the Savoy clan, I think her name was Maria Gabriella?) and his family approved her so much that they put some pressure on him to marry her, but then he met Sofia and fell in love, and they were no impressed with Sofia because she was from a deposed royal family, but alas, he was a man in love, and how can you restrain a determined heart?
It would so surprise me if he cheated....
But I don't think anyone ever implied that he cheated on her with Diana.
I never heard that rumor.
I'm curious though..... does the Spanish tabloids portray him as a playboy?
I know they would portray his son Felipe like that before his marriage to Letizia (the models, Eva Sannum, etc.)
Old 10-16-2006, 08:37 AM
Heir Presumptive

I can't remember where I read it, but flctylu obviously read the sme thing from another place. I don't think its true though. But i won't comment on it anymore because I don't have a reference :)
Old 10-16-2006, 09:48 AM
Nobility

Paul preston wrote, in his book " juan Carlos, the king of the people" that the king had a romance with the princess maria gabriela of saboya, whom it he embarrassed and then it he,retired to marry sofia. It hehad, also, in his youth, a lover, the countess Olghina Nicolis de Robilant, also intimacy had with it, and, apparently, they had a daughter.
Old 10-16-2006, 10:58 AM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Month Coordinator

Well, hmm. We all seem to agree that King Juan Carlos has had infidelities, but I think we need to get off the JC-Princess Diana subject, because this seems like a volitile issue, and I don't want this thread to have to be closed. (this is just a suggestion, not a threat, and I don't mean anyone any offense by it)

We know, from many sources, that both Prince Charles and Princess Diana did have affair(s) during their marriage, and that that was one reason for their divorce. Prince Charles had Camilla, who was also married, and whose husband was a friend of the royal family (wasn't he a godparent or groomsman for Charles or Anne?) and Diana... well, I don't remember the names of the men she was with. I think one was a doctor, but I don't remember who the other was.

I do know, from history, that many 'older' (meaning from the early 1900s and before) had mistresses. A very famous, very long ago example would be Julius Caesar, who was married to another woman when he met Cleopatra.

Have any of the current crown princes (besides Prince Charles of Wales) had affairs? Or any of the current crown princesses? (besides Pricess Diana of Wales, and Camilla, Duchess of Cornwall)

Old 10-16-2006, 11:04 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by marian

I didnt know there was any gossip about Rainier of monaco , after her married Princess Grace's ???