True Love Marriages

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
[...]

In my opinion, most women of the new generation, who have a good sense of duty and are going a good job, like Maxima, Mary, Letizia, wouldn't have looked twice if the guy had not been a CP but a carpenter.

I think that is a fair assessment of Máxima. What would this attractive, intelligent, globetrotting and privileged lady ever have seen in that chubby not-so attractive Dutchman she met at the Feria in Sevilla? The fact that he was The Prince of Orange will have helped a lot, without a doubt...

:whistling:

At the same time Máxima was already socializing in the high society. It seems she was invited at the Feria in Sevilla by a colleague from the New York haute finance, a Prince of Liechtenstein. The Prince of Orange -of course- socializes with fellow royals and so, by incident, the two met in Sevilla.

Now, 17 years later, it looks like a genuine love has grown. The Prince (now King) has given his spouse so much freedom and so many chances to develop her own role. And she took that opportunity with both hands.

Last edited:
imo True Love:
Beatrix&Claus
Victoria&Daniel
Baudouin&Fabiola
Naruhito&Masako

Naruhito and Masako may love one another now, after so many years together.

But before they were married, she tried desperately to dodge becoming his wife. She was happy in her life and her chosen career and hoped he'd pick someone else.

But he persisted, and she gave in. (Not with entirely happy results for her, although she seems happier now).

I'm not sure the royals of today would even consider getting married if some real love wasn't there.

To return to P Albert and P Charlene. I firmly believe that their union is a true love match. There are many interviews where P Charlene mentions and confesses her love for her husband. He in turn has mentioned how much he misses her when they are apart. And there are plenty pictures and video clips around with spontaneous PDA's to support this.

P Charlene has given up a lot to be with him, converted to Catholicism and moved to a foreign country. She has also said that at times when things were difficult, P Albert always believed in their love and would support her when obstacles seemed to be insurmountable. I do believe they are happy and content together, especially now they are raising two beautiful babies together.

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community

C4A,, I will not add more because you said all I think about Charlene and Albert, it is a true love we are seeing since 2006 on the royal forum.
We cannot forget the speech of love that Charlene spoke in french for her husband, Albert was so moved that he cried, it was the first time we saw the prince so moved in public
Charlene de Monaco clame son amour en français par surprise, Albert en pleure...

for me couples who found true love are:
Victoria and Daniel
Haakon and Mette Marit
Harald and Sonja
Letizia and Felipe
Silvia and Carl Gustaf

I am probably going to get laughed at out of this thread but I seriously think that one couple that have loved each other and have endured through thick and thin and water under the bridge is Queen Margrethe and Prince Henri. :D

I am probably going to get laughed at out of this thread but I seriously think that one couple that have loved each other and have endured through thick and thin and water under the bridge is Queen Margrethe and Prince Henri. :D

No,no laughs here,you are spot on!!
They were an almost fairytale couple back then,
if love concours all,then they proof it.

No,no laughs here,you are spot on!!
They were an almost fairytale couple back then,
if love concours all,then they proof it.
I agree with Lucien. They have endured for a very long time.

I agree with Lucien. They have endured for a very long time.

I'm not sure endurance is a proof of love. In earlier times, it was considered somehow shameful to have a failed marriage, especially among royalty.
People were expected to grin and bear it.

As for true love, (and I'm not referring to anyone specific here) is it really considered true love when one party is a player?

I think the definition of true love is unique to each couple. There are no set rules to measure it. There are no set rules to follow to ensure it and there's definitely no set rules that will ever guarantee it. What works for one couple may spell doom and gloom for another.

To return to P Albert and P Charlene. I firmly believe that their union is a true love match. There are many interviews where P Charlene mentions and confesses her love for her husband. He in turn has mentioned how much he misses her when they are apart. And there are plenty pictures and video clips around with spontaneous PDA's to support this.

P Charlene has given up a lot to be with him, converted to Catholicism and moved to a foreign country. She has also said that at times when things were difficult, P Albert always believed in their love and would support her when obstacles seemed to be insurmountable. I do believe they are happy and content together, especially now they are raising two beautiful babies together.

Never take anything for granted. The most sweet, romantic, cute couple pictured together were Prince Joachim and Alexandra. Only a short time after their last photo-shoot (so sugarsweet that my tooth enamel cracked) the couple announced their divorce...

Albert and Charlene. Yes, a promising, talented, hardworking athlete with almost model beauty and a perfect body sees a man many years her senior, chubby, bald, glasses on his nose and in nothing comparable to the chiseled swimmers training in the lanes next to her, in the pool.

It was all love. Ebony and Ivory. The air was filled with the scent of roses and petals of flowers felt down. Charlene saw him and was in love. That the older, chubby and bald man was a Prince, that he resides in a palace overlooking the azure mediterannée, that his sun-soaken country has the highest density of billionaires in the world, nooooooo nonsens. It was pure love.

Sure. Was Albert a streetcleaner in Montpellier, had this beautiful talented olympian athlete also given up everything? "For love"? Come on...

Last edited:
^^^ previous. Well, fortunately not all of us are cynics. Some of us still believe in true love, especially when we have had the privilege to experience it. And not all of us are so shallow as to judge a book by its cover. And maybe we are just a little more able to recognise true love when we see others enjoying that wonderful gift too...

^^^ previous. Well, fortunately not all of us are cynics. Some of us still believe in true love, especially when we have had the privilege to experience it. And not all of us are so shallow as to judge a book by its cover. And maybe we are just a little more able to recognise true love when we see others enjoying that wonderful gift too...

Oh, I do believe in true love.
But- I also believe the Duc et Pair has a point.

After all, how many poor old men do you know of with beautiful young wives?

Mirabel, I actually DO know a few "poor old men", but then you ( and the world )would not know them, because they are just "poor old men with beautiful young wives"....

:previous: But you would agree though, wouldn't you, that most stunningly beautiful young women wouldn't necessarily date and fall in love with ordinary looking 50 and 60 plus age pensioners or men with everyday jobs. Of course there are exceptions when falling deeply in love, Sophia Loren and Carlo Ponti for one.

However, unless Mr 50 plus had a hugely magnetic personality (in which case he'd probably be in a position of power, with money) most beautiful young women prefer handsome young men of around their own age. (I believe there have been surveys that show that physical looks in husbands and wives are usually at near the same level of attractiveness.)

Last edited:
^^^ I will agree that it may not happen every day, but I still believe it is a case of true love for P Albert and P Charlene. That is the beauty of living in this day and age: you may fall in love and marry whomever you choose to, be it someone of the same gender, or a different culture, an older man, or a younger man...

Last edited:
Never take anything for granted. The most sweet, romantic, cute couple pictured together were Prince Joachim and Alexandra. Only a short time after their last photo-shoot (so sugarsweet that my tooth enamel cracked) the couple announced their divorce...

Albert and Charlene. Yes, a promising, talented, hardworking athlete with almost model beauty and a perfect body sees a man many years her senior, chubby, bald, glasses on his nose and in nothing comparable to the chiseled swimmers training in the lanes next to her, in the pool.

It was all love. Ebony and Ivory. The air was filled with the scent of roses and petals of flowers felt down. Charlene saw him and was in love. That the older, chubby and bald man was a Prince, that he resides in a palace overlooking the azure mediterannée, that his sun-soaken country has the highest density of billionaires in the world, nooooooo nonsens. It was pure love.

Sure. Was Albert a streetcleaner in Montpellier, had this beautiful talented olympian athlete also given up everything? "For love"? Come on...

Would you?

I'm sure you wouldn't have..not that you ever had the opportunity ofcourse..that sucks hey:ROFLMAO:

We have just seen the Olympics in Rio. Perfectly chiseled athletes in the prime of their life. Giving everything for their country in those two weeks. All these years of hardship, of endurance, of blood, sweat and tears: hopefully it will pay out in Gold, Silver or Bronze.

That such a gifted, talented and stunningly beautiful athlete from Bulawayo falls in love with a man many years her senior, with a chubby and bald body and a lifestyle in nothing comparable to herself and her team-mates. Okay. That he is not from South-Africa, or African even. Okay. That he comes from Europe, is a billionaire, a Prince even, son of world-famous Grace Kelly, reigning one of the most über-glamorous places in the world. It is all pure co-incidence. When he was a streetcleaner in Montpellier, Charlène would have followed him too...

Hmmmm... call me cynical. I call it "realistic". I have the same with Máxima. Calling her a gold-digger is maybe a bit too far but that the blonde chubby dude with those yellow teeth was the future King of the Netherlands did not exactly harm his chances, that may be clear.

Last edited:
The riches and position may have attracted a person. But love can come next.

Is "True Love" always a good thing? Imo another example were Tzar Nicolas II and his wife Alexandra of Russia; i think it's widely accepted that theirs was a total love match, but i don't think it wasn't good for his reign as a Tzar

If we really, really want to complicate things, the Greeks had it right and I suppose one could find "true" love in any one of their applications of words for love.

There's phileo which is easily seen in the name of the city of brotherly love, Philadelphia. We love our brothers and sisters and fellow human beings for the most part anyways. One who marries on the foundation of companionship would find this to be true love.

Then there is eros. A couple that marries with a very healthy appetite for each other would still have true love in this sense of the word. We could probably guess that sooner or later the physical attraction and desire will get old and boring but its still a true sense by the Greek's definition.

Also, we have storge. This is mostly feelings that are true to one's own self such as "I love my wife", "I adore my dog" and "I just love how a hot soak makes me feel after a very long day". We all have things we love and hold dear.

Finally there is agape which is what I believe that most people seek when they're looking for true love. The "no matter what" kind of love that strives to support and encourage the other person to be the best possible person they can be. It is giving with no expectations of return.

In reality, couples (royalty and commoner alike) put their own definitions on what love means to them and how it manifests in their lives.

Gotta love the ancient Greeks. They knew what they were talking about. :D

I'm not sure endurance is a proof of love. In earlier times, it was considered somehow shameful to have a failed marriage, especially among royalty.
People were expected to grin and bear it.

As for true love, (and I'm not referring to anyone specific here) is it really considered true love when one party is a player?
As I've been reading this I have intermittently had the opposite thought, and that is that endurance may also not be proof of a lack of love, and that there may have been true (and mutual) love at the beginning but over time the individuals in the marriage changed and they either fell out of love, or the intensity of the love faded.

Also I don't think that grinning and bearing is automatically a bad thing, or let me modify the comment and say that a relationship where the couple is no longer have the same love that led to the marriage, or were never truly in love, are considered lesser because they choose to stay in the marriage. In Charles and Diana's case they made each other miserable but that may not be the case with other royal and non-royal couples who choose to stay together even if it appears that they are no longer in love (or were never truly in love).

Another thought, and this is where I think that endurance is a factor, is that a royal or non-royal marriages could have started out as seemingly a non-love match, or a one-sided relationship, but can still be considered a successful marriage with true love. I think that's where the breakdown of love types listed above is a great addition to the discussion because you can see a marriage that may not have started out with eros love can still be considered a true love marriage IMHO.

It has nothing to do with social and cultural gaps, and everything to do with rumored other interests.
Hmm, where do your "rumoured" other interests come from? Got to wonder who, in particular, you are referring to because it's so vague it casts a pall over everyone. Most would attribute it to their least popular couples.

I think Elizabeth and Philip are a remarkable pair. Many say he married her because of who she was but, I don't think he did. He chose between a brilliant naval career and Elizabeth, and with his nature that is saying something.

As to Mary and Fred, I think she fell in love with Fred's unique charm and I think things were harder for her than for most others. M-M and Haakon had a language in common as did Victoria and Daniel and Felipe and Letizia even though they were really middle class as is Mary. Maxima was multi-lingual and moved in high society as did Stephanie, Mathilde but Mary came from Australia (and NZ) where second languages were never deemed important.

They say that after your second language, the third come more easily unless of course, you learn both from the cradle.

Oh, I do believe in true love.
But- I also believe the Duc et Pair has a point.

After all, how many poor old men do you know of with beautiful young wives?

As the saying goes most average/poor men 'marry up' when it comes to age/looks.

Really who defines what someone else finds attractive though? There are movie stars some women rave about that I don't find attractive (same goes for royals).

Certainly at the end of the day personality and who the person is in their character should be (and is) more important for most of us.

There's really nothing wrong with marrying a rich man (or a poor one) if done for the right reasons. I suspect there's more than one person who has married for money and found the price is not worth it.

LaRae

That's worth considering, although there is no attainable proof whatsoever.
With Mary I am able to imagine something like it. Máxima a little less, Letizia I don't know. I know so little about her.
Maxima moved in upper social circles before meeting WA so it was clear that she would never marry a binman, so to say. I think theirs is a perfect match, LOVE is a word with big shoes to fill but they match really well, with Maxima bringing all her virtues to the table, fully appreciated by family & country. Her personality fits the Dutch mentality like a glove.

Letizia is a different matter, I see her as a career woman who probably misjudged what she was getting into. She clearly has virtues but necessarily not those suitable for a Queen, and for various reasons has not been allowed to show what she can do, she lost 10 years and in the current climate it is too late to make up too much ground (popularity of Letizia herself and the monarchy).

On engagement day she said she was looking forward 'to working with Felipe on their project' what put a lot of people off and make her look like a social climber who was after the position only. If she was, it did not work out.
Same here as Maxima, no chance for a binman.

Is "True Love" always a good thing? Imo another example were Tzar Nicolas II and his wife Alexandra of Russia; i think it's widely accepted that theirs was a total love match, but i don't think it wasn't good for his reign as a Tzar

I dont really see that. Nic and Alexandra loved each other, and were close and that must have helped them through the bad days. It wasnt' a good thing that they were both pretty stupid and that Alexandra didn't get on with most people, from the Imp Family to the court to the common people.

But with modern day royals I dont really see how one can tell who is in love or isn't. Royals have to act, in public. They may have started out in love in some cases and as time passes teh love has gone cooler or dull.. but they are still going to be seen as enjoying each other's company in public. Fergie and Andy were in love I think at the beginning and were always looking happy and fond and with a lot of PDA but within a few years, they were divorcing. It was probalby true at first, that they loved each other but it didn't last long.
with other royals I am a bit doubtful as to how much in love they are. After all, in most cases, the wife is from a lower rank and is problaby not as rich.. so that has to be a bit tempting. As against that, of course a woman can marry a rich man who DOESNT have the burden of royal life and public appearances...

As the saying goes most average/poor men 'marry up' when it comes to age/looks.

Really who defines what someone else finds attractive though? There are movie stars some women rave about that I don't find attractive (same goes for royals).

LaRae
That's true. I think that there are some who most people would see as beautiful, and others that have to be described as "homely" but all the same ideas of beauty can vary widely. Pr charles had a very beautiful wife, and now a rather average looking one. I think it is obvious which one he loves most. All the same, not everyone found Diana beautiful..
In any case I think that affection adn respect are more important than "romantic love."

Last edited by a moderator:
That's true. I think that there are some who most people would see as beautiful, and others that have to be described as "homely" but all the same ideas of beauty can vary widely. Pr charles had a very beautiful wife, and now a rather average looking one. I think it is obvious which one he loves most. All the same, not everyone found Diana beautiful..
In any case I think that affection adn respect are more important than "romantic love."

In their younger years Charles and Camilla would have formed an attractive pair, I must say: picture.

Camilla was never more than average in looks, with a rather rictus gummy smile. She was attractive to males because of her personality, sense of fun, rather than any glamour or prettiness.

Back
Top Bottom