The Languages Royals Speak To Each Other

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bct88

Aristocracy
Country
United States
When multiple royal families gather together for events such as weddings or funerals, when they speak to each other, what language do they use? Do they all speak English. I know that some speak English, some speak French, yet do they all speak one language?

Most of them do speak English. Some may speak French or German or Italian to one another. Arabic would be a common language among the Middle Easterners and North Africans, of course, although it would be MSA because their dialects are sometimes practically unintelligible from one country to another. But if they are educated enough, they wil speak in Classical Arabic.

That's odd. I've never considered that question. Well most of them go to schools abroad so I assume that they all speak English and French.

Arabic would be a common language among the Middle Easterners and North Africans, of course, although it would be MSA because their dialects are sometimes practically unintelligible from one country to another. But if they are educated enough, they wil speak in Classical Arabic.

Indeed. There's a standard Arabic that everyone understands. It's learned in school. Although, I'm sure that most of the time it isn't needed.

I have always thought that French was the most common language used among the creme de la creme of the aristocracy. I imagine now that English and French are probably the two most used languages among the royals.

Originally posted by grecka@May 21st, 2004 - 1:53 am
I have always thought that French was the most common language used among the creme de la creme of the aristocracy.  I imagine now that English and French are probably the two most used languages among the royals.
French certainly was until about 50 years ago among royals. And still quite popular among some in the aristocracy But English is now more widely-spoken among royals.

I think they would speak of their national language with their family members and relatives and maybe English or French with friends and guests...

I would imagine that the Scandinavian royals talk to each other in their native languages.

I would also imagine that the Luxembourgese and Belgians talk French together. And the Belgians talk flamish (sp?) with the Dutch. Just an assumption. The rest of them I suppose speak English when they're together.

I know that King Olav of Norway said in a book: When he talked with his mother in Norway they spoke English, but when they went to the family in England, the two of them spoke Norwegian when they didn't want anybody else to overhear.

Similarities in Scandinavian languages

Is the the Swedish, Norweign and Danish Languages similar to each other or are they different? When the Royal families of Sweden, Norway and Danmark gather together do they speak English or there own langauages and they know what each are saying?

At school I had Swedish lessons for many years (I am Finn) and so I can read, write, speak and understand spoken language reasonably well. I also can read Norweign and Danish, not very well, but so and so, but when they speak, I understand hardly anything, especially Danish.
Queen Margrethe of Denmark speaks both Danish and Swedish, her mother was Swede, but I don't know, how it is with the other members of the families. I think, they understand each other, even if they speak their own language.

Most English, I should think. The Scandinavier can speak their own languages with each other.
Earlier in the world, the Royals used to speak French, but not nowadays.

I think it depends on the situation, but they can speak their own language and everyone will understand. Queen Margrethe however speaks a very elegant Swedish, which I heard when she opened her exhibition at Waldemarsudde this spring.

I'm Swedish - and understand both Danish and Norwegian (with maybe the exception of some strange dialects), and read both of them too (I read newspapers from both countries). The languages are similar, but also have their own niche - their uniqueness. That's how see it at least, I hope I provided some enlightnign. I'm sure you can read more about the languages online.

It depends on the situation. I guess Queen Margrethe is the one who switches the most. I have never heard King Harald speak Swedish, and his mother was just as Swedish as Margrethe's ;)

I'm Norwegian, and I live in Denmark. I can understand almost everything people say when they talk at normal speed and don't mumble, and the same goes for Swedish. I can read almost everything in the other two languages as well, though Swedish is harder to read than Danish. There are words that are different, but from experience here in Denmark a regular Dane has more trouble understanding Norwegians and Swedes than vica versa.

I was looking at what Joachim said today and I was amazed at how much I understood it. I didn´t know that I knew any Danish! :) It is very close to Swedish indeed. Maybe one should learn all of them. Well, learn one right away and go from there. I remember that people were saying that for Mary pronounciation will be the toughest part for her. Danish is said to be quite difficult on this mark. Well, learn to read Danish first and then try to listen to it!

I remember the question was raised at the wedding Anniversary of Queen Elizabeth and Prince Philip. I remember one of the guest saying German and Danish, of course. but if the Queen Mother wals in the room you had to speak English unless you wanted to be shown the door.

Dennism said:
I was looking at what Joachim said today and I was amazed at how much I understood it. I didn´t know that I knew any Danish! :) It is very close to Swedish indeed. Maybe one should learn all of them. Well, learn one right away and go from there. I remember that people were saying that for Mary pronounciation will be the toughest part for her. Danish is said to be quite difficult on this mark. Well, learn to read Danish first and then try to listen to it!

As a dane i must tell you that norwegian is much easier to understand than swedish.
Of the 3 langauges norwegian and danish remind most of each other.
I think it is because that Norway have been a part of Denmark for so long.
We have more in common with the norwegians.

Betina

I know that Queen Margrethe and prince Hanrik speaks French with each other.

Betina

for many years in the past french was the Language of the courts
what is the Language when they send out the inventions for example weddings or jubelee's

In the Spanish Royal Family Elena and Cristina usually talk amongst themselves in Greek when they are at the palace or don't want to be overheard, but with Felipe and their mother, the language of choice is English.

Cristina usually speak Spanish and Catalan alike with her children and husband even if they speak French as well (the kids go to a french school in Barcelona and Iñaki's mother has belgian heritage).

In the autobiography of Prince Henrik of Denmark he says that when his kids were little he pretended not to understand Danish so they have to speak French to him and I believe that tradition is still strong in their household.

What language does Princess Caroline's children speak with Stephanie and Albert. What languge do the Grimaldi children speak together? and what language do the Casiraghi kids speak together? What language do Caroline's children speak with Stephanies children?

crisiñaki said:
In the Spanish Royal Family Elena and Cristina usually talk amongst themselves in Greek when they are at the palace or don't want to be overheard, but with Felipe and their mother, the language of choice is English.
Wow, I didn't know Elena and Cristina speak Greek well enough to communicate between each other. It's their mother's native language, of course, but I would guess they would choose Spanish or English like Sofia and Felipe. I mean, talking to your siblings is so natural that you don't even think or consider what language you are speaking at the moment, you just say what you want.
And I always found quite weird the fact that Sofia talks to their children in English. Felipe was always thought as the heir to the SPANISH throne, and both Infantas are important figures in SPAIN as well. But it can be the result of the fact that both languages, English and Spanish alike, were foreign for the Princess and then for the Queen, so she treated them in the same way.

crisiñaki said:
I think that the Infantas don't speak Greek! I read some online biographies some them and they said that they don't speak Greek (don't ask me what were the biographies, because i don't remember).

Queen Sofia and her sister, Princess Irene usually speak Greek between them!

The Hannovers/ Casiraghi speak many amongst themselves.. Caroline and Ernst speak English to one another; Ernst and Alexandra speak English; Alexandra and her nanny speak German; Caroline speak French to all 4 of her children and Charlotte, Andrea, and Pierre speak English to Ernst.

I read that Caroline, Albert, and Stephanie all spoke English with their mother and French with their father... I imagine they switch between the two with whatever mood they are in.

Last edited:
...JuAnItA... said:
I think that the Infantas don't speak Greek! I read some online biographies some them and they said that they don't speak Greek (don't ask me what were the biographies, because i don't remember).

Queen Sofia and her sister, Princess Irene usually speak Greek between them!

Yes, I agree with you, I also read that the infantas didn't speak greek though they were able to understand a little.
Queen Sofia said that, as a rule, she spoke greek with her sister as a way to keep the language up.
King JC said that Queen Sofia spoke english with her children but he always spoke spanish with them.

Last edited:
Saturn said:
Yes, I agree with you, I also read that the infantas didn't speak greek though they were able to understand a little.
Queen Sofia said that, as a rule, she spoke greek with her sister as a way to keep the language.
King JC said that Queen Sofia spoke english with her children but he always spoke spanish with them.

About Cristina:
http://www.hola.com/casasreales/espana/cristina/12fotos/momento1.htm
and I'm pretty sure I've seen an article that tells about Elena and Cristina speaking Greek to both Pavlos and Alexia, but I'm still searching for it, as soon as I found it, I'll post the link here;)

crisiñaki said:
In the autobiography of Prince Henrik of Denmark he says that when his kids were little he pretended not to understand Danish so they have to speak French to him and I believe that tradition is still strong in their household.
Pretended to? It might have worked out better for his own Danish abilities if Margrethe and their sons had spoken Danish with him at home.

But I've read (someone mentioned it in Princess Alexandra's thread) that Joachim continues the tradition, and that he speaks French with his sons, as Henrik does. Alexandra on the other hand, speaks Danish with Felix and Nikolai.

crisiñaki said:
About Cristina:
http://www.hola.com/casasreales/espana/cristina/12fotos/momento1.htm
and I'm pretty sure I've seen an article that tells about Elena and Cristina speaking Greek to both Pavlos and Alexia, but I'm still searching for it, as soon as I found it, I'll post the link here;)

For those who don't speak spanish, in the Hola! article it says that Cristina studied at the Hellenic College in London (school that belongs to her uncle and aunt) to perfect english, french and greek in 1983 before she started University.;)

English

I have heard Queen Margrethe, Prince Henrik, Prince Frederik, Prince Joachim, King Harald, Queen Sonja,King Carl Gustav, Queen Silvia, King Juan Carlos, Queen Sofia, King Abdullah, Queen Raina, Queen Noor, King Albert, King Constantine, Queen Anne-Marie, King Michael and Queen Ann all speak wonderful English so I would assume if a common Language is required it is most probably English.

crisiñaki said:
For those who don't speak spanish, in the Hola! article it says that Cristina studied at the Hellenic College in London (school that belongs to her uncle and aunt) to perfect english, french and greek in 1983 before she started University.;)

Yes, that's true, in 1983 Cristina studied for 8 months at the Hellenic College in London and improved her english, french and greek, but that doesn't mean she speaks fluent greek.
When she decided to live in Barcelona she said she would learn catalan and than that would'n be difficult as she spoke spanish, english and french, and had a certain level of german and greek.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom