Seconds in Line Marriages

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CarolinaBlu

Commoner
City
Country
United States
We've all heard about the Crown Princesses who have given up their homelands, learned new langages and overcome many challenges to fit their new positions. I was wondering about what happens if the second in line marries a foreigner and how they adapt to that very different role. Do you think a secondary royal would ever move to their spouse's country if they aren't really needed in their monarchy?

Well, I think Princess Alexandra of Denmark did that. She left a successful career in Hong Kong when she married Prince Joachim.

People who marry a second-in-line probably have to make similar changes, but seeing as how their future spouse is not as visible as the crown prince/ss they seem to attract less attention for doing so. That said, I do think that those who come after the crown prince/ss in the line of succession usually have a bit more freedom when it comes to choosing a spouse.

in the netherlands did not beatrix one or two sisters move abroud?

in norway and sweden the sisters of the king were not i line of the throne so three of them moved with their husbands abroud

Well, two of Queen Beatrix sons are living abroad to, Prince Johan-Friso lives in London and Prince Constantijn lives in Brussels.

Beatrix' sioster Irene married (and divorced) Duke Carlos of Parma, the couple lived in Paris for a while. After the divorce Irene returned to The Netherlands. Princess Christina, the Queen's youngest sister married and divorced Cuban-born Jorge Guillermo. The couple first lived in the US, afterwards moved to Wassenaar in The Netherlands. After the divorce Jorge moved to Belgium/France while Christina lived in NYC (and maybe now in London?).

Princess Birgitta of Sweden married a German Prince von Hohenzollern, I believe she is living in Mallorca now.

Grand Duke Jean of Luxembourg's sister Elizabeth married Franz, Prince of Hohenberg.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom