The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 08-22-2007, 03:41 PM
Gentry

Are you just intersted in Royalty or in High society ? X

Anyone think there should be a socialite tv station. There could be shows on royalty, society, fashion and insted of a studio and presenter a rich socialite in here faboulous apartment X

Old 08-22-2007, 03:57 PM
Heir Apparent

I'd watch it. By the way for those in the US (and elsewhere maybe) this Thursday evening at 9 p.m. eastern time vh1 is doing a young royals version of their "Fabulous life of...". It'll be total fluff but it should be entertaining.

Old 08-22-2007, 04:02 PM
Heir Apparent

Royalty is what I'm interested in.
Old 08-22-2007, 04:25 PM
Heir Apparent

Decidedly a royal.
Old 08-22-2007, 04:44 PM
Heir Apparent

It actually depends on who the royal and who the "high society" members are. Some royals I find rather boring, and some I can't get enough of(The Grimaldis of Monaco) The same with society individuals.

One thing is ABSOLUTELY certain though...I find ANY royal/high society personage more entertaining than Hollywood people. I can't stand reading one more word about Paris Hilton, Brittany Spears or Lindsay Lohan. I couldn't care less about Hollywood!
Old 08-22-2007, 05:02 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliforniaDreamin View Post
One thing is ABSOLUTELY certain though...I find ANY royal/high society personage more entertaining than Hollywood people. I can't stand reading one more word about Paris Hilton, Brittany Spears or Lindsay Lohan. I couldn't care less about Hollywood!
I do not consider these women high society, they are just 'trash' with lots of money. When I think of high society I think of money, and lots of class.
Old 08-22-2007, 06:47 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saphire View Post
I do not consider these women high society, they are just 'trash' with lots of money. When I think of high society I think of money, and lots of class.

I think that was my point. I completely agree. Although having lots of money does NOT automatically give a person true class. Donald and Melania Trump are obviously very wealthy, but IMO they do not have class. Some of the very wealthy older Republican women who came into prominence during the Reagan Administration(Besty Bloomingdale) completely lack class, IMO. (The latter sashayed around London during the celebrations for the wedding of Charles and Diana wearing a TIARA for gods sake-uggh!)

On the other hand I have read about poor or middle class people that have more breeding and class than any Royal or Society person could dream. My aunt is one, the honorable Nelson Mandela is another.
Old 08-22-2007, 07:04 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
I think that was my point. I completely agree. Although having lots of money does NOT automatically give a person true class. Donald and Melania Trump are obviously very wealthy, but IMO they do not have class. Some of the very wealthy older Republican women who came into prominence during the Reagan Administration(Besty Bloomingdale) completely lack class, IMO. (The latter sashayed around London during the celebrations for the wedding of Charles and Diana wearing a TIARA for gods sake-uggh!)

On the other hand I have read about poor or middle class people that have more breeding and class than any Royal or Society person could dream. My aunt is one, the honorable Nelson Mandela is another.
I was agreeing with you. Another person who had a lot of class was Mahatma Gandhi.
Old 08-22-2007, 07:48 PM
Nobility

Quote:
I totally agree. I have a hard time understanding why anyone cares about these people. But, well, to me the Grimaldi's are the Hollywood trash of the royal realm (illegitimate births, adulterous relationships, marriages to bodyguards and circus performers). I'm surprised that you are into them given your feelings about Hollywood.

Of course, I do not consider Princess Grace or Prince Rainier to be in this category. But the others, especially Stephanie and Albert, definitely.
Old 08-22-2007, 08:28 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by royaltywatcher View Post
I totally agree. I have a hard time understanding why anyone cares about these people. But, well, to me the Grimaldi's are the Hollywood trash of the royal realm (illegitimate births, adulterous relationships, marriages to bodyguards and circus performers). I'm surprised that you are into them given your feelings about Hollywood.

Of course, I do not consider Princess Grace or Prince Rainier to be in this category. But the others, especially Stephanie and Albert, definitely.

LOL! The Grimaldi's fascinate me. They are beautiful to look at, intellectually gifted and oversexed. But when it counts, they seem to know how to pull it together and behave. Looking at Caroline today, I would never guess that this is the same woman who has been married three times-two of them pregnant at the altar-and had an affair with a married man. But the Caroline of today is a very regal figure who seems to have an almost uncanny Jacqueline Kennedy knack for rising to every occasion, big or small.

I agree that they have way too much dirty laundry for a princely family, however. Maybe it's the story of their noble lineage...how the monk seized the castle in the 13th Century and it's been a rather high end soap opera since. They have-despite their unseemly scandals-maintained just enough of their royal veneer to remain interesting for me.

And don't forget that Rainier and Grace were not quite as pristine as their public images suggest...they were just better...FAR BETTER...at keeping it under wraps like nobility should!
Old 08-22-2007, 09:26 PM
Nobility

Good reply.

Yes, Caroline was always regal, and stunningly beautiful. She is showing her age now, too much time in the sun, I think. But in her youth she was breathtaking. And she has an innate elegance that transcends the unpleasant bits in her past. I don't think Charlotte compares in beauty or elegance, although she is certainly a pretty girl.

Albert and Stephanie--what can I say? I like Albert's loyalty to his sister, but that's about all I like. I can't say I like his loyalty to his children.
Old 08-23-2007, 12:08 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alastair_r View Post
Are you just intersted in Royalty or in High society ? X
I am interested in royalty only.
Old 08-23-2007, 11:50 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by royaltywatcher View Post
Good reply.

Yes, Caroline was always regal, and stunningly beautiful. She is showing her age now, too much time in the sun, I think. But in her youth she was breathtaking. And she has an innate elegance that transcends the unpleasant bits in her past. I don't think Charlotte compares in beauty or elegance, although she is certainly a pretty girl.

Albert and Stephanie--what can I say? I like Albert's loyalty to his sister, but that's about all I like. I can't say I like his loyalty to his children.

I think Stephanie is a very tragic figure in some ways. She is obviously a talented and kind person who cares. But she seemed to waste so much time and energy during her youth fighting who she was, and what cannot change. She is not an ordinary person. She is the daughter of a legend. She is a princess. I can't understand how one can claim to love a parent so much and then break their heart-over and over-like she did with Rainier. Especially toward the end of his life. I would never forgive myself for that.

As for Albert, well. Like all the children he is spoiled and entitled. Despite his obvious intelligence, he lacks the basic common sense-not to mention self control- it would have taken to protect himself from fathering children out of wedlock. But I am happy that he is supporting these children, as any decent man would be expected to. It's not their fault, they deserve all of his support, IMO.
Old 08-23-2007, 12:13 PM
Courtier

Only Royalty. I could care less about "High Society". They are a pretentious lot.
Old 08-23-2007, 12:25 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by sesa View Post
Only Royalty. I could care less about "High Society". They are a pretentious lot.

I tend to agree with you!
Old 08-23-2007, 11:32 PM
Gentry

Just royalty for me. I like their connection to history.
Old 08-24-2007, 04:33 AM
Serene Highness
TRF Author

Royalty! I don't care much for people with fresh money, most of the times they are such annoying "nouveau riches".
Royalty is different. Royals are connected with history, tradition and class (at least most of them).

I don't consider the Grimaldi's real royalty. Especially the younger generation. They seem more proper to Hollywood parties than to attend european royal events.
Old 08-24-2007, 12:10 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maricar View Post
Just royalty for me. I like their connection to history.

EXACTLY! That's a good point, I feel the same way. I am passionate about history, and I like the way that ancient and noble families link us to the past.
Old 08-24-2007, 12:55 PM
Aristocracy

True High Society is also linked with history, tradition and class. The Hiltons are not considered high society, they are cafe society. The Astors, Vanderbilts, and Roosevelts are examples of High Society. Many of the earliest members of those families were amongst the original settlers of the U.S. and were vital in establishing this country. I am interested in them as much as I am in royalty considering that the younger generation of royals and the women who married into these families leave much to be desired.
Old 08-24-2007, 02:39 PM
Commoner

Quote:
It actually depends on who the royal and who the "high society" members are. Some royals I find rather boring, and some I can't get enough of(The Grimaldis of Monaco) The same with society individuals.
I agree with you. I love the Grimaldis of Monaco and I love the Windsors ( William and Harry). I also love the Vanderbilts, Whitneys, and Astors and I just loved the Kennedys. What does that make me?