Royals With Many Names & Titles

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

marian

Nobility
City
mexico
Country
Mexico
It is entertained to notice that there are princes and princesses who have diverse names. As the prince of Wales, which complete name is Charles Philip Arthur George.

There are princes, as Ernest of Hannover, husband of the princess Carolina, who has eleven names. It is, for my, curious, because I wonder in order that they will put so many names.

Why will princes receive so many names? :lol:

marian said:
Why will princes receive so many names? :lol:

I think that royals have many names because they are named after so many ancestors. The parents probably feel they have to honour or pay tribute to past royals. This is just my take on this.

Queen Margrethe II's cousin Elisabeth has reached the eleven mark as well. Her full name is Elisabeth Caroline-Mathilde Alexandrine Helena Olga Thyra Feodora Estrid Margarethe Désirée - quite a mouthful :ohmy:

Thanks to his Christian names, The Earl of Wessex was already an Earl before he actually became one LOL

EDWARD ANTHONY RICHARD LOUIS !!!!!!!!!

The eldest daughter of Emperor Karl and Empress Zita of Austria had even more:

Adelheid Maria Josepha Sixta Antonia Roberta Ottonia Zita Charlotte Luise Immakulata Pia Theresia Beatrix Franziska Isabelle Henriette Maximiliane Genoveva Ignatia Marcus d'Aviano.

If I counted correctly Archduchess Adelheid had 21 names.

lol..what do they do when filling in offical forms? the future king of England has a pretty long name "philipe arthur louis william windsor"!

so many names

and my favorite:

Alfonso Maria Isabel Francisco Eugenio Gabriel Pedro Sebastian Pelayo Fernando Francisco de Paula Pio Miguel Rafael Juan José Joaquin Ana Zacarias Elisabeth Simeón Tereso Pedro Pablo Tadeo Santiago Simon Lucas Juan Mateo Andrès Bartolomé Ambrosio Geronimo Agustin Bernardo Candido Gerardo Luis-Gonzaga Filomeno Camilo Cayetano Andrès-Avelino Bruno Joaquin-Picolimini Felipe Luis-Rey-de-Francia Ricardo Esteban-Protomartir Genaro Nicolas Estanislao-de-Koska Lorenzo Vicente Crisostomo Cristano Dario Ignacio Francisco-Javier Francisco-de Borja Higona Clemente Esteban-de-Hungria Ladislado Enrique Ildefonso Hermenegildo Carlos-Borromoeo Eduardo Francisco-Régis Vicente-Ferrer Pascual Miguel-de-los-Santos Adriano Venancio Valentin Benito José-Oriol Domingo Florencio Alfacio Benére Domingo-de-Silos Ramon Isidro Manuel Antonio Todos-los-Santos de Borbón,Infant of Spain and Portugal (Madrid 15 Nov 1866-Madrid 28 Apr 1934)

You can count on 19th century catolic royal families (mainly Spain and Portugal) to break all records as far as names are concerned...

Scott said:
Thanks to his Christian names, The Earl of Wessex was already an Earl before he actually became one LOL

EDWARD ANTHONY RICHARD LOUIS !!!!!!!!!
LOL - well spotted Scott :flowers:

leomichel said:
and my favorite:

Alfonso Maria Isabel Francisco Eugenio Gabriel Pedro Sebastian Pelayo Fernando Francisco de Paula Pio Miguel Rafael Juan José Joaquin Ana Zacarias Elisabeth Simeón Tereso Pedro Pablo Tadeo Santiago Simon Lucas Juan Mateo Andrès Bartolomé Ambrosio Geronimo Agustin Bernardo Candido Gerardo Luis-Gonzaga Filomeno Camilo Cayetano Andrès-Avelino Bruno Joaquin-Picolimini Felipe Luis-Rey-de-Francia Ricardo Esteban-Protomartir Genaro Nicolas Estanislao-de-Koska Lorenzo Vicente Crisostomo Cristano Dario Ignacio Francisco-Javier Francisco-de Borja Higona Clemente Esteban-de-Hungria Ladislado Enrique Ildefonso Hermenegildo Carlos-Borromoeo Eduardo Francisco-Régis Vicente-Ferrer Pascual Miguel-de-los-Santos Adriano Venancio Valentin Benito José-Oriol Domingo Florencio Alfacio Benére Domingo-de-Silos Ramon Isidro Manuel Antonio Todos-los-Santos de Borbón,Infant of Spain and Portugal (Madrid 15 Nov 1866-Madrid 28 Apr 1934)

You can count on 19th century catolic royal families (mainly Spain and Portugal) to break all records as far as names are concerned...

How on earth do they come up with all these names? The present Spanish RF covers them all with 'todos los santos', I assume.

I wonder if Infante Alfonso remembered his own names btw.

Prince Amadeo has seven or eight names

leomichel said:
and my favorite:

I think this one is carrying it just a bit too far,too many names means none of them have any real meaning.I think another reason or givin g so many names is that they may honor a grandparent with a second or other name rather than the first which can be confusing.

leomichel said:
and my favorite:

And then we compare with King Harald of Norway, who only have one name, and wonder what is preferred when it comes to how many names a royal should have... :ROFLMAO:

UserDane said:
Queen Margrethe II's cousin Elisabeth has reached the eleven mark as well. Her full name is Elisabeth Caroline-Mathilde Alexandrine Helena Olga Thyra Feodora Estrid Margarethe Désirée - quite a mouthful :ohmy:
Who is this Elizabeth??

leomichel said:
and my favorite:

Guess the parents didn't want to insult anyone who insisted the baby being named after him, nor to upset any of the patron saints :ROFLMAO: I really love how the royals don't skimp on the names.

Is she perhaps the Elizabeth (b1935), daughter of Knud of Denmark, the younger brother of Queen Margrethe II's father, King Frederick IX?

Marengo said:
How on earth do they come up with all these names? The present Spanish RF covers them all with 'todos los santos', I assume.

I wonder if Infante Alfonso remembered his own names btw.

What about the poor wife when they are saying their vows?!

rosana said:
Who is this Elizabeth??

Alison20 said:
Is she perhaps the Elizabeth (b1935), daughter of Knud of Denmark, the younger brother of Queen Margrethe II's father, King Frederick IX?

Yes it is- Link

Princess Marie-Astrid of Luxembourg, Archduchess of Austria has nine names:

Marie-Astrid Charlotte Léopoldine Wilhelmine Ingeborg Antoinette Elisabeth Anna Alberta

...but I guess no one can beat Alfonso up there! ^_^

The one thing that puzzles me is the european royal families who tack Marie or Maria onto the begining of the first name of every female child!

leomichel said:
and my favorite:

Can you imagine his mother saying all those names during his christening, I wonder how she would remember it all :)

leomichel said:
and my favorite:

I can totally imagine his mother calling him when mad (every parent in the world uses their children's full name when mad):lol::lol::lol:

Alfonso Maria Isabel Francisco Eugenio Gabriel Pedro Sebastian Pelayo Fernando Francisco de Paula Pio Miguel Rafael Juan José Joaquin Ana Zacarias Elisabeth Simeón Tereso Pedro Pablo Tadeo Santiago Simon Lucas Juan Mateo Andrès Bartolomé Ambrosio Geronimo Agustin Bernardo Candido Gerardo Luis-Gonzaga Filomeno Camilo Cayetano Andrès-Avelino Bruno Joaquin-Picolimini Felipe Luis-Rey-de-Francia Ricardo Esteban-Protomartir Genaro Nicolas Estanislao-de-Koska Lorenzo Vicente Crisostomo Cristano Dario Ignacio Francisco-Javier Francisco-de Borja Higona Clemente Esteban-de-Hungria Ladislado Enrique Ildefonso Hermenegildo Carlos-Borromoeo Eduardo Francisco-Régis Vicente-Ferrer Pascual Miguel-de-los-Santos Adriano Venancio Valentin Benito José-Oriol Domingo Florencio Alfacio Benére Domingo-de-Silos Ramon Isidro Manuel Antonio Todos-los-Santos come here!:lol::lol:

Alison20 said:
The very same! :flowers:
She has never married and is the only one of prince Knud's children who hasn't given up his/her title.

wymanda said:
The one thing that puzzles me is the european royal families who tack Marie or Maria onto the begining of the first name of every female child!
It is a tradition in many Roman Catholic Houses which goes back centuries, and continues to this day.

The father of Queen Beatrix:

Zijne Koninklijke Hoogheid prins Bernhard Leopold Frederik Everhard Julius Coert Karel Godfried Pieter, prins der Nederlanden, prins van Lippe-Biesterfeld .

The grandfather of Queen Beatrix:

Zijne Koninklijke Hoogheid prins Hendrik Wladimir Albrecht Ernst, prins der Nederlanden, hertog van Mecklenburg, vorst van Wenden, Schwerin, Ratzeburg, graaf van Schwerin, heer van de landen Rostock en Stargard

That's cheating, Henri! You're including the styles and titles in the names. Next you'll be giving us the Duchess of Alba. :D

The Duke of Windsor was born Edward Albert Christian George Andrew Patrick David. The first one was in honor of his grandfather, Edward VII, Albert for his great-grandfather, the Prince Consort, Christian for his maternal grandfather, Christian IX, and the last for in honor of the patron saints of England, Scotland, Ireland and Wales respectively.

And King Léopold III of Belgium had eight names, Léopold Philippe Charles Albert Meinrad Hubertus Marie Miguel.

Although none of these quite compare to poor Infante Alfonso. I wonder if he possible holds the record for the longest name. I counted them once and it was like 90 something counting all the hyphenated names individually, and a slightly smaller number counting them as one name. Yikes!

Few from Belgium
HI&RH Prince Lorenz Otto Carl Amadeus Thadeus Maria Pius Andreas Marcus d'Aviano of Belgium, Duke of Este, Duke of Modena, Archduke of Austria-Este, Prince Imperial of Austria, Prince Royal of Hungary and Bohemia.

HI&RH Princess Astrid Josephine-Charlotte Fabrizia Elisabeth Paola Maria, Princess of Belgium, Archduchess of Austria-Este, Duchess of Modena, Princess Imperial of Austria, Princess Royal of Hungary and Bohemia.
HI&RH Prince Amadeo Marie Carl Pierre Phillippe Paola Marcus d'Aviano of Belgium, Archduke of Austria-Este etc.
HI&RH Prince Joachim Carl Maria Nikolaus Isabelle Marcus d'Aviano of Belgium etc.
HI&RH Princess Laetitia Maria Nora Anna Joachim Zita of Belgium etc.

HM King Albert II (Albert Felix Humbert Theodore Chretien Eugene Marie) King of the Belgians.

HM King Baudouin I (Baudouin Albert Charles Leopold Axel Marie Gustave) King of the Belgians.

HM Queen Fabiola Fernanda Maria de las Victorias Antonia Adelaida.

HM King Leopold III Philippe Charles Albert Meinrad Hubertus Marie Miguel.

Few from Spain
Infante Don Alfonso Pio Cristino Eduardo Francisco Guillermo Carlos Enrique Fernando Antonio Vanancio de Borbon y Battenberg, of Spain, Prince of Asturias (1907-1938)
Infante Jaime Luitpoldo Isabelino Enrique Alberto Alfonso Victor Acacio Pedro Maria de Borbon y Battenberg (1908-1975). His children:
HRH Don Alfonso Jaime Marcelino Manuel Victor Maria de Borbon y de Dampierre.
HRH Don Gonzalo Victor Alfonso Jose Bonifacio Antonio Maria y de Todos los Santos de Borbon y de Dampierre.

Infanta Beatriz Isabela Federica Alfonsa Eugenia Cristina Maria Teresa Bievenida Ladislaa of Spain (1909-2002)
Infanta Maria Cristina Teresa Alejandra Guadalupe Maria de la Concepcion Vittoria Eugenia of Spain (1911-1996)

Last edited by a moderator:
And I thought we were bad in Sweden. The longest I can say now is the king's name, Carl Gustaf Folke Hubertus.

Furienna said:
And I thought we were bad in Sweden. The longest I can say now is the king's name, Carl Gustaf Folke Hubertus.
Not exactly. Longer were:
Gustaf Adolf Oscar Fredrik Arthur Edmund, Prince of Sweden (1906-1947)
Gustav VI Adolf - Oskar Fredrik Wilhelm Olaf Gustaf Adolf

Italy
Emanuele Filiberto Umberto Reza Rene Maria di Savoia, Prince of Venice and Piemont (1972- )
Princess Vittoria Cristina Adelaide Chiara Maria di Savoia (2003- )
Princess Luisa Giovanna Agata Gavina Bianca Maria di Savoia (2006- )

Vittorio Emanuele Alberto Carlo Teodoro Umberto Bonifacio Amadeo Damiano Bernardino Gennaro Maria di Savoia, Prince of Naples (1937- )
Princess Maria Gabriella Giuseppa Aldegonda Adelaide Daisy Ludovica Felicita Gennara (1940- )

Umberto I - Umberto Ranieri Carlo Emanuele Giovanni Ferdinando Eugenio

Last edited by a moderator:
This is kind of ridiculous,isn´t. It would be enough with 3 or 4.

Warren said:
That's cheating, Henri! You're including the styles and titles in the names. Next you'll be giving us the Duchess of Alba. :D

Well Warren let's indulge and cheat :ROFLMAO: :

Doña María del Rosario Cayetana Fitz-James Stuart y Silva,18th Duchess of Alba de Tormes (with Grandee), 11th Duchess of Berwick (with Grandee), Duchess of Arjona (with Grandee), Duchess of Híjar (with Grandee), 11th Duchess of Liria and Jérica, 14th Countess-Duchess of Olivares (with Grandee) Marchioness of El Carpio (with Grandee), 12th Marchioness of la Algaba, Marchioness of Almenara, 14th Marchioness of Barcarrota, Marchioness of Castaneda, 19th Marchioness of Coria, Marchioness of Eliche, Marchioness of Mirallo, Marchioness of la Mota, Marchioness of Moya, Marchioness of Orani, Marchioness of Osera, Marchioness of San Leonardo, Marchioness of Sárria, Marchioness of Tarazona, Marchioness of Valdunquillo, Marchioness of Villanueva del Fresno, Marchioness of Villanueva del Río, Countess of Aranda (with Grandee), Countess of Lemos (with Grandee), Countess of Lerín and Condestablesa of Navarra (with Grandee), Countess of Miranda del Castañar (with Grandee), Countess of Monterrey (with Grandee), Countess of Osorno (with Grandee), Countess of Palma del Río (with Grandee), Countess of Villalba, Countess of San Esteban de Gormaz, Countess of Santa Cruz de la Sierra, Countess of Andrade, Countess of Ayala, Countess of Casarrubios del Monte, Countess of Fuentes de Valdepero, Countess of Fuentidueña, Countess of Galve, Countess of Gelves, Countess of Ribadeo, 11th Countess of Tinmouth, Viscountess of la Calzada (from February 18, 1955 to 1971), 11th Baroness of Bosworth

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom