The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 09-19-2008, 04:21 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by amandamrgt View Post
Queen Elizabeth herself has 2 "lower" titles - she's Duke of Lancaster and Duke of Normandy..

Don't you Mean Duchess???

Old 09-19-2008, 04:33 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by HMTLove23 View Post
Don't you Mean Duchess???
No, I'm afraid I did mean Duke of Lancaster and Duke of Normandy.

The Sovereign is styled as Duke of Lancaster, regardless of gender, It is customary at formal dinners for the The Loyal Toast to the crown be announced as "The Queen, Duke of Lancaster".

Relatively the same can be said about the title of the Duke of Normandy, although there are different historical backgrounds for the titles.

Old 05-17-2012, 04:52 AM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnik View Post
Austria
- HI&RH Marie Elisabeth Amalie Antonie Josephe Gabriele Johanna Agathe Princess Imperial and Archduchess of Austria, Princess Royale of Hungary and Bohemia (1737-1740)
- HI&RH Marie Anna Josephe Antonie Johanna Pss Imperial and Archduchess os Austria, Pss Royale of Hungary and Bohemia, Pss of Tuscany (1738 - 1789)
- HI&RH Marie Caroline Ernestine Antonie Johanna Josephe Pss Imperial and Adss of Austria, Pss Royale of Hungary and Bohemia, Pss of Tuscany (1740-1741)
- HIM Joseph II Benedikt August Johann Anton Michael Adam Emperor of the HOly Roman Empire, King in Germany, of Jerusalem, Hungary and Bohemia, Adk of Austria etc.
- HI&RH Marie Christine Johanna Josephe Antonie Pss Imperial and Adss of Austria etc. (1742-1798)
- HI&RH Maximilian Franz Xaver Joseph Johann Anton de Paula Wenzel Prince Imperial and Adk of Austria etc. (1756-1801)

More from Spain - WOOOW
- Maria Isabel Antonieta de Paula Francisca Januaria Francisca de Paula Juana Naepomucena Josefina Onesifora Infanta of Spain (1740-1742)
- Fernando Antonio Pascual Juan Nepomuceno Serafin Januario Benite Infante of Spain - Ferdinando IV King of Naples and Sicily
- Carlos IV Antonio Pasual Francisco Javier Juan Nepomuceno Jose Januario Sarafin Diego King of Spain
- Gabriel Antonio Francisco Javier Juan Nepomuceno Aniello Raimundo Sylvestre Infante of Spain (1755-1817)
- Carlos Clemente Antonio de Paula Januario Pascual Jose Francisco de Asis Francisco de Paula Luis Vicente Ferrer Rafael Infante of Spain (1771-1774)
- Carlos Domingo Eusebio Rafael Jose Antonio Juan Nepomuceno Gabriel Julian Vicente Ferrer Andres-Avelino Luis Fernando Angel Francisco Pasqual Joaquin Caetano Ignacio Manuel Raimundo Januario Francisco de Paula Infante of Spain (1780-1783)
- Carlos Francisco de Paula Domingo Antonio Jose Raimundo Diego Vicente Ferrer Juan Nepomuceno Isidro Pascual Pedro de Alcantara Fernando Felipe Luis Cayetano Gregorio Joaquin Lorenzo Justiniano Julian Infante of Spain (1783-1784)
- Felipe Francisco de Paula Domingo Antonio Jose Raimundo Diego Vicente Ferrer Juan Nepomuceno Isidro Pascual Pedro de Alcantara Fernando Felipe Luis Cayetano Gregorio Joaquin Lorenzo Justiniano Julian Infante of Spain (1783-1784)
- Fernando VII Maria Francisco de Paula Domingo Vicente Ferrer Antonio Jose Joaquin Pascual Diego Juan Nepomuceno Januario Francisco Javier Rafael Miguel Gabriel Calixto Cayetano Fausto Luis Ramon Gregorio Lorenzo Geronimo King of Spain
- Alfonso XII Francisco de Asis Fernando Pio Juan Maria de la Concepcion Gregorio Pelayo King of Spain
- Maria de la Concepcion Francisca de Asis Isabel Luisa Antonia de Padua Estafania Maria del Ovido Filomena Francisca de Paula Infanta of Spain (1859-1861)
María del Pilar Berenguela Isabel Francisca de Asis Cristina Sebastiana Gabriela Francisca Caracciola Saturnia Infanta of Spain (1861-1879)
- María de la Paz Juana Amelia Adelberta Francisca de Paula Juana Baptista Isabel Francisca de Asis Infanta of Spain (1862-1946)
- Maria Eulalia Francisca de Asis Margarita Roberta Isabel Francisca de Paula Cristina Maria de la Piedad Infanta of Spain (1864-1958)
You forgot one of them. María Isabel Francisca de Asís Cristina Francisca de Paula Fernanda Luisa Josefa Trinidad Joaquina Ana Melchora Gaspara Baltasara María del Olvido Dolores Pilar Concepción Carmen Desamparados Filomena Micaela Rafaela Gabriela Dominga de la Cogolla Tomasa Teresa Rita Lucía Águeda Bárbara Bibiana María de la Cabeza Isidra Rosalía Polonia Lugarda Ramona de Cosme Damiana Antonia de San Antón Juana Bautista Vicenta de Ferrer Genara Francisca de Borja Blasa Jacoba de Roque Caralampia y de Todos los Santos Infanta of Spain (1851–1931) .
Old 03-17-2013, 05:12 AM
Commoner

Very interesting names. A good name is better than riches.
Old 03-17-2013, 07:25 AM
Serene Highness

Emperor Pedro I of Brazil (King Pedro IV of Portugal) had 16 names: Pedro de Alcântara Francisco Antônio João Carlos Xavier de Paula Miguel Rafael Joaquim José Gonzaga Pascoal Cipriano Serafim.

His full title, as Emperor of Brazil, was: His Imperial Majesty the Lord Dom Pedro, the First, by the Grace of God and Unanimous Acclamation from the People, Constitutional Emperor and Perpetual Defender of Brazil.

His son, Emperor Pedro II, had 15 names: Pedro de Alcântara João Carlos Leopoldo Salvador Bibiano Francisco Xavier de Paula Leocádio Miguel Gabriel Rafael Gonzaga.

His full title, as Emperor of Brazil, was: His Imperial Majesty the Lord Dom Pedro, the Second, by the Grace of God and Unanimous Acclamation from the People, Constitutional Emperor and Perpetual Defender of Brazil.

Emperor Pedro II's eldest daughter and heir was named: Isabel Cristina Leopoldina Augusta Micaela Gabriela Rafaela Gonzaga ("only" 9 names).

Her full title, at the Fall of the Monarchy, in 1889, was: Her Imperial and Royal Highness the Lady Dona Isabel Cristina Leopoldina Augusta Micaela Gabriela Rafaela Gonzaga, Princess Imperial of Brazil, Princess of Orleans, Countess of Eu.

At her death, in 1921, as Head of the Imperial House, her full title was: Her Imperial and Royal Highness the Lady Dona Isabel Cristina Leopoldina Augusta Micaela Gabriela Rafaela Gonzaga, Head of the Brazilian Imperial House, Princess of Brazil, Princess of Orleans-Braganza, Princess of Orleans, Countess of Eu.

Today, the Imperial Family is still carrying on with big names. The current member of the Brazilian Imperial Family, with their full names and titles (I didn't include their orders of chivalry):

1. His Imperial and Royal Highness the Lord Dom Luiz Gastão Maria José Pio Miguel Gabriel Gonzaga, Head of the Brazilian Imperial House, Prince of Brazil, Prince of Orleans-Braganza.

2. His Imperial and Royal Highness the Lord Dom Bertrand Maria José Pio Januário Miguel Gabriel Rafael Gonzaga, Prince Imperial of Brazil, Prince of Orleans-Braganza.

3. His Royal Highness the Lord Dom Antônio João Maria José Jorge Miguel Gabriel Rafael Gonzaga, Prince of Brazil, Prince of Orleans-Braganza.

4. Her Royal Highness the Lady Dona Cristina Maria Isabel, Princess of Brazil, Princess of Orleans-Braganza (she was born as Her Highness Princess Christine Marie Elisabeth of Ligne).

5. His Royal Highness the Lord Dom Rafael Antônio Maria José Francisco Miguel Gabriel Gonzaga, Prince of Brazil, Prince of Orleans-Braganza.

6. Her Royal Highness the Lady Amélia Maria de Fátima Josefa Antônia Micaela Gabriela Rafaela Gonzaga, Princess of Brazil, Princess of Orleans-Braganza.

7. Her Royal Highness the Lady Maria Gabriela Josefa Fernanda Iolanda Micaela Rafaela Gonzaga, Princess of Brazil, Princess of Orleans-Braganza.

8. Her Royal Highness the Lady Dona Isabel Maria Josefa Henriqueta Francisca Micaela Gabriela Rafaela Gonzaga, Princess of Brazil, Princess of Orleans-Braganza.

9. Her Royal Highness the Lady Dona Eleonora Maria Josefa Rosa Filipa Micaela Gabriela Rafaela Gonzaga, Princess of Ligne, Princess d'Épinoy, Princess d'Amblise, Princess of the Holy Roman Empire, Grandee of Spain.

Normally, a Brazilian Prince name have the following caracteristics:

- Antônio: the first name, by which the Prince will be called.

- João: the second name, usually, given after a Saint (in this case, St. John).

- Maria José: after the Virgin Mary and St. Joseph.

- Jorge: after the godfather (in the casa of a Princess, after a the godmother; in Prince Antônio's case, after Archduke Georg of Austria).

- Miguel Gabriel Rafael: all members of the Family have those three names, given after the Archangels.

- Gonzaga: all members of the Family have this name, given after St. Louis.
Old 03-18-2013, 11:57 PM
Nobility

I can't tell the difference between Spanish and Portuguese.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrazilianEmpire
- Gonzaga: all members of the Family have this name, given after St. Louis.
I thought Gonzaga was after St. Aloysius.
Old 03-22-2013, 06:32 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahedwards2 View Post
I can't tell the difference between Spanish and Portuguese.
I'm sorry for you. Portuguese and Spanish are very different languages.
Old 03-22-2013, 07:36 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

The children of Queen Elisabeth of Belgium had a few middle names:

Léopold Philippe Charles Albert Meinrad Hubertus Marie Miguel
Charles-Théodore Henri Antoine Meinrad
Marie-José Charlotte Sophie Amélie Henriette Gabrielle

Princess Louise of Thurn and Taxis's middle names were quite a mouthful:

Luisa (Louise) Mathilde Wilhelmine Marie Maximiliane

Prince Max Emanuel of Thurn and Taxis also had a few middle names:

Max Emanuel Maria Albert Paul Isabella Klemens Lamoral

Gloria, Princess of Thurn and Taxis's middle names:

Mariae Gloria Ferdinanda Gerda Charlotte Teutonia Franziska Magarethe Frederike Simone Johanna Joachima Josefine Wilhelmine Huberta

Karl von Habsburg's children's middle names:

Eleonore Jelena Maria del Pilar Iona
Ferdinand Zvonimir Maria Balthus Keith Michal Otto Antal Bahnam Leonhard
Gloria Maria Bogdana Paloma Regina Fiona Gabriela

And finally, Queen Victoria Eugenia and King Alfonso XIII of Spain's children's middle names (I apologize if any of these have been posted before):

Alfonso Pío Cristino Eduardo Francisco Guillermo Carlos Enrique Eugenio Fernando Antonio Venancio Borbón y Battenberg

Jaime Leopoldo Isabelino Enrique Alejandro Alberto Alfonso Víctor Acacio Pedro Pablo María de Borbón y Battenberg

Beatriz Isabel Federica Alfonsa Eugenia Cristina María Teresa Bienvenida Ladislàa de Borbón y Battenberg

María Cristina Teresa Alejandra María de Guadalupe María de la Concepción Ildefonsa Victoria Eugenia de Borbón y Battenberg

Juan Carlos Teresa Silvestre Alfonso de Borbón y Battenberg

Gonzalo Manuel Maria Bernardo Narciso Alfonso Mauricio de Borbón y Battenberg

Could you imagine if you were these royals' husband/wife and you had to memorize all of their names on your wedding day?
"She is a little angel and like her name, she brings sunshine even on cloudy days. From the bottom of our hearts, we would like to thank each and every one of you for your lovely best wishes for our daughter. She feels very loved". HRH Princess Madeleine, Duchess of Hälsingland and Gästrikland on her daughter, HRH Princess Leonore, Duchess of Gotland.
Join my TRF group about British Royal Children!
Old 03-22-2013, 09:32 PM
Nobility

Some of these are just ridicules. What is it? Every name ever used in their countries.
Old 03-22-2013, 10:04 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by padams2359 View Post
Some of these are just ridicules. What is it? Every name ever used in their countries.
It's not ridiculous. It's a matter of tradition.
Old 03-22-2013, 11:48 PM
Gentry

I agree; it's tradition, not ridiculous. My father's very traditional Catholic family all have many names. They thought that it was strange that I only had first, middle, and last, but for my mother's American family, that is the norm. I do, however, prefer the four names which QEII has given her children, but that's about the rhythm of the names as they're spoken.
Old 03-23-2013, 02:02 AM
Majesty

Some have Todos los Santos as a name. ...Imagine..All the Saints...hundreds of 'm...
Old 03-23-2013, 07:16 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucien View Post
Some have Todos los Santos as a name. ...Imagine..All the Saints...hundreds of 'm...
The Spanish Royal family follow that tradition

Prince Felipe : HRH Don Felipe Juan Pablo Alfonso de Todos los Santos de Borbón y Grecia,Prince of Asturias,Prince of Girona , Prince of Viana , Duke of Montblanc , Count of Cervera and Lord of Balaguer.

Infanta Elena's full style is HRH Doña Elena María Isabel Dominica de Silos, Todos los Santos de Borbón y Grecia,Infanta of Spain, Duchess of Lugo.

Infanta Pilar : HRH Doña María del Pilar Alfonsa Juana Victoria Luisa Ignacia de Todos los Santos de Borbón y Borbón-Two Sicilies, Infanta of Spain, Duchess of Badajoz, Grandee of Spain, Dowager Viscountess de la Torre.
Old 03-23-2013, 07:34 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

And how to forget the late Prince Pasquale Baylen Maria del Carmine Giovanni-Battista Vincenzo-Ferreri Michele Arcangelo Francesco di Paola Ferdinando Francesco di Assisi Luigi Re Alfonso Gaetano Giuseppe Pietro Paolo Gennaro Luigi Gonzaga Giovanni Giuseppe della Croce Gaspare Melchiore Baldassare Alberto Sebastiano Giorgio Venanzio Emanuele Placido Andrea Avelino Rocco Pacifico Francesco di Geronimo Felice Teziano Ana Filomena Sebazia Lucia Luitgarda Apollina of Bourbon-Two Sicilies?
Old 03-23-2013, 07:35 AM
Heir Presumptive

Imagine writing that down on the Mortgage agreements! It's crazy how many names they all have, but it's tradition.

I agree Broadway Duchess, I like the four names Queen Elizabeth's children all have but even then 4 is a bit too much. All except William, Harry, Louise and James (out of the immediate family) only have 3 names which I think is a bit better.
Old 03-23-2013, 11:43 AM
Serene Highness

The full name of Empress Teresa Cristina of Brazil (1822-1889), Emperor Pedro II's wife, was: Teresa Cristina Maria Giuseppa Gasparre Baltasarre Melchiore Gennara Rosalia Lucia Francesca d’Assisi Elisabetta Francesca di Padova Donata Bonosa Andrea d’Avelino Rita Liutgarda Geltruda Venancia Taddea Spiridione Rocca Matilde. She was a Princess of Two-Sicilies by birth.
Old 03-23-2013, 01:39 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by An Ard Ri View Post
The Spanish Royal family follow that tradition

Prince Felipe : HRH Don Felipe Juan Pablo Alfonso de Todos los Santos de Borbón y Grecia,Prince of Asturias,Prince of Girona , Prince of Viana , Duke of Montblanc , Count of Cervera and Lord of Balaguer.

Infanta Elena's full style is HRH Doña Elena María Isabel Dominica de Silos, Todos los Santos de Borbón y Grecia,Infanta of Spain, Duchess of Lugo.

Infanta Pilar : HRH Doña María del Pilar Alfonsa Juana Victoria Luisa Ignacia de Todos los Santos de Borbón y Borbón-Two Sicilies, Infanta of Spain, Duchess of Badajoz, Grandee of Spain, Dowager Viscountess de la Torre.
That tradition has now ended due to a change in Spanish laws.
Old 03-23-2013, 02:15 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGalitzine View Post
That tradition has now ended due to a change in Spanish laws.
What did the change in the Spanish laws mean?
I had a dream: Let's connect our thoughts together, than we have a mission, let's connect our feelings together, than we have a mood, let's connect our dreams together, than we have a vision and let's connect our mission, our mood and our vision together than we have a perfect life.
Old 03-23-2013, 03:02 PM
Heir Apparent

How do they remember them and just how big are forms in Spain? - you know - tax returns, drivers licence, passport etc.

I have 9 letters in each of my first 2 names and there are some forms and websites that dont accept that many letters!

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 03-23-2013, 03:09 PM
Serene Highness

I know members of the Imperial Family of Brazil are required to prove, before a judge, that their names are that big, because they do not fit on their documents.