The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 05-31-2013, 10:57 AM
Serene Highness

Royals with jobs

Hello, everyone!

Some days ago I was talking with my daughter-in-law, who is a staunch Republican, and she said that Royals do nothing, and they're a wast of taxpayers money.

I said to her that the work the Royals do is very important to their countries, and that, actually, some of them have "real" jobs.

Which Royals have jobs? What they do for a living?

Old 05-31-2013, 11:26 AM
Serene Highness

The late Prince Pedro Henrique, Head of the Imperial House of Brazil, was a farmer.

The late Princess Maria Elizabeth, Imperial Consort of Brazil, was a voluntary teacher for poor children.

Prince Antônio of Brazil is now retired, but her worked as an engeneer. He is also a painter, his paintings were exposed in Brazil and Europe.

The late Prince Pedro Luiz of Brazil was an economist, he was working in a bank in Luxembourg.

Prince Rafael of Brazil is a engeneer of production. He works for a great company in Rio de Janeiro.

Princess Amélia of Brazil works as an architect in London.

Princess Isabel of Brazil is a retired social worker. She was the President of the Brazilian Red Cross.

Princess Alix of Ligne is an engeneer. Her Highness is currently working in Rio de Janeiro.

Old 05-31-2013, 11:43 AM
Aristocracy

there are many royals that contribute their time and connections to a large number of very worthy causes. one that comes to mind immediately, and one I admire greatly is Princess Basma bint Talal, of Jordan, who works tirelessly with a large number of organizations, most having to do with the betterment of conditions for women and children in the world. I see her name pop almost daily regarding one meeting or another. what a lovely lady.
"People are much like stained glass windows. When the sun is shining through them, they glow brightly and sparkle. But when the sun goes down and it is dark and gloomy outside; Their true beauty is revealed only if there is light from within." ~ Elisabeth Kubler-Ross
Old 05-31-2013, 11:44 AM
Heir Presumptive

Not many "famous" Royals work, but there are many out there who do have other employments.

Prince Edward, Earl of Wessex, was a (albeit not overly successful) TV producer until 2002. His wife, Sophie, was a PR Executive until 2002 as well.

I am sure Princess Martha Louise works as well, but I could be wrong. Princess Beatrice and Princess Eugenie of York are trying to get full time jobs.
Old 05-31-2013, 12:55 PM
Courtier

Prince William serves as a search and rescue pilot with the RAF and Prince Harry is an apache helicopter pilot with the army.
Prince Constantijn and Princess Laurentine of The Netherlands both have jobs as did Prince Friso and Princess Mabel until the Prince's skiing accident.
Prince Felix of Luxembourg did work full time (and now i think works part time) in the marketing department of a Swiss sports and a cultural company.
Prince Lorenz of Belgium worked in the banking industry for many years and is now a director for several similar companies. His eldest son Prince Amedeo is now working in New York for Deloitte while Prince Lorenz other children are still studying but will almost certainly go into work when they are old/qualified enough.
I'm sure there are many many others
Old 05-31-2013, 01:03 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molly2101 View Post
Princess Beatrice and Princess Eugenie of York are trying to get full time jobs.
Princess Beatrice has it.

All Windsors without HRH style have "real" jobs.
Royals with HRH style and full-time jobs are William, Harry, Beatrice and the duchess of Kent.

Prince and princess Michael of Kent earn a living from commercial enterprise.
Old 05-31-2013, 01:33 PM
Heir Apparent

Prince Richard of Gloucester was a practicing architect under the name Richard Gloucester before succeeding to the dukedom. He came in for criticism from other architects because they felt he would get jobs from people who wanted to say they had a royal working for them. Given that he was then and remains one of the least known royals the criticism doesnt seem valid.
Beatrice and Eugenie currently have jobs and are not working royals.
Michael of Kent has had a few corporate directorshipssince leaving the army as has his wife who also writes books and lectures.
The Duke of Kent was a Colonel in the British army.
Military service seems to be one of the few acceptable jobs for male members of the BRF.
Old 05-31-2013, 02:24 PM
Serene Highness

I've got a question regarding the jobs the royals choose: Why are economy, business etc. preferred over "scientific" occupations? any idea?
Thanks
Old 05-31-2013, 02:25 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrazilianEmpire View Post
Princess Alix of Ligne is an engeneer. Her Highness is currently working in Rio de Janeiro.
What kind of engineer?

As far as I know she works in the world of jewellery. She has also been doing some fashion design together with a cousin of her's in the past few months.
Old 05-31-2013, 02:45 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by SydneyLux View Post
What kind of engineer?

As far as I know she works in the world of jewellery. She has also been doing some fashion design together with a cousin of her's in the past few months.
I don't know which kind.
Old 05-31-2013, 03:27 PM
Heir Apparent

Alix de Ligne is back in Paris. She's still working on the creation of a new jewellery brand.

Neither Beatrice, Eugenie are working, and Peter Phillips isn't either --- at least not as an investment banker. He may be working with Anne's horses.
Old 05-31-2013, 03:45 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittyAtlanta View Post
Alix de Ligne is back in Paris. She's still working on the creation of a new jewellery brand.

Neither Beatrice, Eugenie are working, and Peter Phillips isn't either --- at least not as an investment banker. He may be working with Anne's horses.
Unless something has changed in the past couple of months, Peter Philips is working as a managing director at SEL UK (which handles event management and promotion).
Old 05-31-2013, 04:02 PM
Royal Highness

Thank you to all who supplied the names of those royals who are currently working or are now retired. I believe that members of the Lichtenstein royal family are involved in the banking industry.

Quite honestly i believe that we will see more of the younger generations of royals working as they reach adulthood with the exception of the heirs to the throne. While the armed forces are still a primary career choice for many royals I hope it will be possible for more of them to move into different fields.
Old 05-31-2013, 04:24 PM
Nobility

Prince Maximilian of Liechtenstein is currently chief executive officer of Liechtenstein Global Trust
Prince Nicklaus of Liechtenstein is the ambassador to Holy See
Princes Philip Erasmus of Liechtenstein is the president of LGT Group in Liechtenstein
Princess Marie Esmeralda of Belgium is a journalist, however I don't thinks she receives any dotations
Princess Marie Astrid of Luxembourg has been the president of red cross for Luxembourg Youth since 1970
Prince Jean of Luxembourg is also active in water Industry and some business schools and financial institutes
Princes Guillaume of luxembourg is a director at ArcelorMittal

ThE list continues but what is obvious is that nowadays most of the royals who do not have a high chance of assuming a throne or a lot of official duties are working.
And they are mostly active in business and financial companies and institutes.
Old 06-01-2013, 08:06 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess Xenia View Post
Prince Maximilian of Liechtenstein is currently chief executive officer of Liechtenstein Global Trust
Prince Nicklaus of Liechtenstein is the ambassador to Holy See
Princes Philip Erasmus of Liechtenstein is the president of LGT Group in Liechtenstein
Everyone in the Liechtenstein family, except for the reigning prince and his wife as well as the heir and his wife, have regular jobs. Most male members of the family are involved in the world of finance, only two of them for the bank owned by the family, are running agricultural estates or are something along these lines.

A similiar thing can be said for the Grand Ducal Family of Luxembourg. The children of the current Grand Duke except for the Hereditary Grand Duke will be expected to make their own living in the future, just like their uncles and father's cousins do.
Old 06-01-2013, 10:44 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by SydneyLux View Post

Everyone in the Liechtenstein family, except for the reigning prince and his wife as well as the heir and his wife, have regular jobs. Most male members of the family are involved in the world of finance, only two of them for the bank owned by the family, are running agricultural estates or are something along these lines.

A similiar thing can be said for the Grand Ducal Family of Luxembourg. The children of the current Grand Duke except for the Hereditary Grand Duke will be expected to make their own living in the future, just like their uncles and father's cousins do.
Yes yes, you are right I just wanted to name a few royals with jobs to say that they are not all living with tax money.
Apart from Luxembourgish and Liechtensteiner royals I think that many of the Belgian royals new generation are currently working or will work in the future when they graduate even the three youngest children of Crown Prince Philippe.
With Europe's current financial crises and the continuing debate over costs of royals and the reduction of their dotations, I think all royals in future would have to find jobs, except for kings and queens and crown princes and crown princesses.
Old 06-01-2013, 11:34 AM
Serene Highness

Peter Phillips is one of the managers of the upcoming GCT showjumping event next week in London.
Old 06-01-2013, 12:03 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittyAtlanta View Post

Peter PHillips works for SEL - quote from Telegraph article:

"Mr Phillips, who left his job with Royal Bank of Scotland last year to set up the UK arm of SEL, an Australian-based sports and entertainment agency" (20th March 2013)

According to the DoY website, Beatrice is working full time for a venture capital company and Eugenie has been doing intern work.

This precious stone set in the silver sea,......
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England,
Old 07-16-2013, 06:56 AM
Nobility

we can now add Mr.Christopher O'neill to the list
Old 07-16-2013, 12:46 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron Brockdorf View Post
we can now add Mr.Christopher O'neill to the list
Except Chris isn't royal. He's just married to a royal.