Royals with Disabilities or Special Needs

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Iluvbertie said:
Louise does have extropia. There have been conflicting reports as to whether or not she has had surgery for it.

It wouldn't stop her becoming Queen however.

She hasn't had surgery .... Apparently they decided it was not the best choice for them .

As an English teacher I was aware that people with dyslexia are often talented. They are often especially good at math and engineering. Many engineers are dyslexic. My husband was an engineer for Boeing, and was not dyslexic, but could not spell. He made up for this by having a wonderful secretary, and me. Dyslexia is not a significant handicap. I am not making light of the dyslexic's struggle, but just saying it is a minor disability. Nothing at all compared to Down's Syndrome, for instance.

Seems like a lot of royals from different households have dyslexia to varying degrees. I'm surprised at how many have this challenge. Because so many of them have this, I'm wondering if dyslexia might have a genetic link or something which could be inherited. Seems like it runs in families in some cases.

My late brother was like that. He was brilliant with anything mechanical and very, very witty; however, he absolutely hated the classroom and didn't do well there. Once he got out working, he did very well.

For Harry I believe it was just a case of not being academically inclined since he alwasy knew he wanted a military career and he has done rather well on his military exams as a helicopter pilot.

Seems like a lot of royals from different households have dyslexia to varying degrees. I'm surprised at how many have this challenge. Because so many of them have this, I'm wondering if dyslexia might have a genetic link or something which could be inherited. Seems like it runs in families in some cases.

Dyslexia can be inherited. My husband and my oldest daughter have dyslexia as do my son and I. My son's and mine comes out in our physical coordination-we have no problems with reading, writing or spelling but are really klutz. I have a grandaughter who has mild dylexia. There are different degrees of dyslexia and it does not always manifest itself in the reading or writing abilities of the person

Dyslexia can be inherited. My husband and my oldest daughter have dyslexia as do my son and I. My son's and mine comes out in our physical coordination-we have no problems with reading, writing or spelling but are really klutz. I have a grandaughter who has mild dylexia. There are different degrees of dyslexia and it does not always manifest itself in the reading or writing abilities of the person
Here is the definition of dyslexia. It is a disability connected with reading. It has nothing to do with being un-coordinated.

Developmental reading disorder - PubMed Health

Where do you get that news from? I tought nobody knew about? :)

I was going to ask the same question, as far as I know, no one outside of the royal family knows what's Emmanuel's learning disability ;)

Princess Alice ( Philip's mother) wasn't mentally unstable later in life. ( Hugo Vickers book Alice, Princess Andrew of Greece is worth reading)

Alice had a mental breakdown in the late 1920's and was admited to a sanatorium in Switzerland, she eventually left but had no contact with her family for 10 years. It was the death in a plane crash of her daughter Cecilie in 1937 that brought her back to the family fold ( Philip didn't see or have contact with his mother for 10 years) Alice went back to live in Greece, stayed during the war, hid a Jewish family, continued to live in Greece until the royals were expelled in 1967 and then lived in Buckingham Palace until she died in 1969.

In 1930 she was diagnosed with schizophrenia.

Princess Alice of Battenberg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Not royal but:
Skye Johanna Wellesley (b.2006) daughter of Lord James Douglas Wellesley (youngest son of the Duke of Wellington) & his wife Emma suffers from Rett syndome:

Arthur Valerian Wellesley, 8th Duke of Wellington - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Rett syndrome - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Well I have a physical disability which doesn't affect my mind so I could be a monarch. I also have friends who have mental disabilities and based on the people I know I don't think they could do it. I don't think they would be able to cope.

Philip Prospero, Prince of Asturias (1657-1661) was the son of King Philip IV of Spain and his Queen, Mariana of Austria. Philip Prospero was an epileptic.

Possible but more likely he suffered from something else. Records say that he suffered from a larger then normal head. Down syndrome is the opposite children suffer from microcephaly. There are a number of disorders which cause macrocephally, the larger head, which cause seizures, mental slowness and other issues described with the infante.

Macrocephaly

Last edited:
Emperor Ferdinand I of Austria had parents who were closely related. They were double first cousins. Ferdinand was born with some severe disabilities. Among his ailments were water on the brain, soft bones, and severe epilepsy.

Emperor Ferdinand I of Austria had parents who were closely related. They were double first cousins. Ferdinand was born with some severe disabilities. Among his ailments were water on the brain, soft bones, and severe epilepsy.
I have never heard of him until now. Thank you for educating me. I can't imagine how he could live having 20 seizures a day; that's almost one an hour!

Ferdinand is said to have actually been quite intelligent and event witty, contrary to reports he was feeble minded. The journals he kept show that. Unfortunately the seizures made it impossible for him to rule, or even consummate his marriage.

Sometimes it is amazing how more cases didn't pop up considering how much imbreeding happened. Other then some physical oddities. If they weren't marrying cousins they married closer at times. Philip II married 2 first cousins and his own niece.

Now that Prince François passed away , they are only 2 handicapped Royals : his Sister Princess Blanche and Pincess Cornelie of Prussia.
The now born royals are all healty , cute , loving and rich.

Such a lot of my Friends and people passed away because of the terrible illness called cancer.
The main Royal seem preserved from this ilness and if the have they recover.
Happy for them!

Now that Prince François passed away , they are only 2 handicapped Royals : his Sister Princess Blanche and Pincess Cornelie of Prussia.
The now born royals are all healty , cute , loving and rich.

Princess Christina of the Netherlands was born with an eyesight problem and needs assistance in her mobility.

Picture.

Not completely debilatating (fortunately) but Lady Louise Windsor was born with Esotropia which required medical treatment.

What was the reason of her blindness? Did her mother catch some disease while pregnant with her?

From Princess Christina is known that her mother did catch rubella when she visited a troop ship which made a long journey from Netherlands East-Indies (now Indonesia) to the Netherlands.

About the Infanta Doña Margarita I can only find she was born blind when her parents were in exile in Rome. Neither in Spanish nor in English articles I can google a possible cause for her blindness.

When there is no infection, no genetic disorder, it can just be a matter of the eyes not well-developed as a foetus. Or the eyes are perfectly fine but the part of the brain which regulates the vision is not working. Or the eyes and the brains are completely in order but the nerves do not transmit vision impulses from the eye to the brain. It is so complex, it is a wonder vision works perfectly well for 99% of the babies.

Last edited:
Yes I am happy to see all the new born Royals without any disability .

And Ginevra van Eilinkhuizen, daughter of Prince Amedeo of Savoy & Kyara van Eilinkhuizen?
She is 11 years old and has Down's syndrome.

And Ginevra van Eilinkhuizen, daughter of Prince Amedeo of Savoy & Kyara van Eilinkhuizen?
She is 11 years old and has Down's syndrome.

Oh yes, you are right indeed. That was a scandal for the House of Aosta when the Duke did not meet his obligations.

:sad:

In what sense? Didn't he officially recognize her as his daughter?

Back
Top Bottom