Royals & Musical Instruments

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
yes you are quite right.......i seem to remember prince charles playing the cello in a scene from "the royal family" film (1969) when a string snapped and hit prince edward !!

:eek: Ouch, that must have hurt! The Duchess of Kent used to sing in the Bach Choir, not sure if she still does.

Are there any Japanese Royal who plays the Shamisen?

I read several years back that the Duke of Cambridge was taught some piano, but wasn't very good at it.

Also, I remember reading that his wife was taught piano as well (I believe I read it on this board).

Queen Sophia plays the piano

Awe. I did not know that Queen Sophia plays piano, I wish I play piano too :flowers: :D

I see that most of royals play Piano :D. Does any one know about the Arabic Royals ??

Last edited by a moderator:
:previous: In the Jordanian Royal Family forum it is mentioned that Crown Prince Hussein plays the guitar!

Last edited:
:previous: In the Jordanian Royal Family forum it is mentioned that Crown Prince Hussein plays the guitar!

Oh I did not know that, I actually did not see that thread I am tried and looked for it but could not find it, will you please post the thread link in a comment please :flowers: :D thank you dear :D

In Queen Noor book "Leap of Faith" she tell Prince Hamzah & Prince Hashem play Violin :D

Last edited:
In Queen Noor book "Leap of Faith" she tell Prince Hamzah & Prince Hashem play Violin :D

Oh really nice information always I see this book in library and I said I’ll buy it next time , but from now really I’m going to buy it :flowers:

Oh I did not know that, I actually did not see that thread I am tried and looked for it but could not find it, will you please post the thread link in a comment please :flowers: :D thank you dear :D

really nice info :flowers:

That is what I heard once, but I was not sure of it. Do you know where did they learn? I mean was in Jordan or In the States? :flowers:

So they both love music :D what about Iman, Rayiah, and Haya ??

Don't forget that the Duchess of Kent is a marvellous musician, who plays the piano and the organ and in recent years has even taught piano.

Princess Margaret was indeed an accomplished pianinst and could sing as well. She was felt to be quite talented, but never was pushed to take things further and for example study music at College etc. That was because she was born at a time into the sort of background where music was an 'accomplishment' and a little polite piano-playing and singing was a 'charming drawing room social skill' for many young 'gels' and that was all, unless you had enlightened parents and/ or a 'pushy' music teacher.

Charles played the Cello at school but gave it up when he left. Acting was his 'thing' instead by the time he reached Cambridge. Diana was quite a good pianist - don't forget that her grandmother Lady Fermoy was in fact a Conservatoire-trained concert pianist.

I well remember Diana playing during an enagement. From memory, Charles was first asked to play the cello, whereupon Diana then apparently took great delight [it was at the start of the 'wars of the Waleses' [so-called] in 'showing him up' Until that time, I don't think tht people had realised that she was really quite good at the piano.

I have also see Fergie, rather, er, merry with alcohol, banging away at a table in the Farm Club, Verbier, as if it were a drum, and singing [shouting out] the chorus of a very rude song... Hardly music though, and so I had better stop!

Hope some of this is of interest.

Alex

Don't forget that the Duchess of Kent is a marvellous musician, who plays the piano and the organ and in recent years has even taught piano.

Princess Margaret was indeed an accomplished pianinst and could sing as well. She was felt to be quite talented, but never was pushed to take things further and for example study music at College etc. That was because she was born at a time into the sort of background where music was an 'accomplishment' and a little polite piano-playing and singing was a 'charming drawing room social skill' for many young 'gels' and that was all, unless you had enlightened parents and/ or a 'pushy' music teacher.

Charles played the Cello at school but gave it up when he left. Acting was his 'thing' instead by the time he reached Cambridge. Diana was quite a good pianist - don't forget that her grandmother Lady Fermoy was in fact a Conservatoire-trained concert pianist.

I well remember Diana playing during an enagement. From memory, Charles was first asked to play the cello, whereupon Diana then apparently took great delight [it was at the start of the 'wars of the Waleses' [so-called] in 'showing him up' Until that time, I don't think tht people had realised that she was really quite good at the piano.

I have also see Fergie, rather, er, merry with alcohol, banging away at a table in the Farm Club, Verbier, as if it were a drum, and singing [shouting out] the chorus of a very rude song... Hardly music though, and so I had better stop!

Alex

here is a video from this scene
Princess Diana plays the piano in Australia - YouTube

That is what I heard once, but I was not sure of it. Do you know where did they learn? I mean was in Jordan or In the States? :flowers:

So they both love music :D what about Iman, Rayiah, and Haya ??
Quee Noor say in "National Music Conservatory" i not understand where ? :ermm:

Alex

I remember reading about Princess Alexandra's musical talent, and that she was a patron of something music-related too. I knew Diana enjoyed dancing, but had no idea that she was a rather talented pianist to boot. As usual, thank you for the information.

Great video. Definitely one talented individual.

I remember reading that Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge sang in a church choir when younger.

Although it is not exactly playing an instrument, the Duchess of Kent also has a lovely singing voice, and was in London's Bach Choir for many years. It is a large chorus based in London under the baton of an eminent conductor. Not all of its members are profesional 'full time singers'.

I have a friend who is a mezzo soprano and was in the Bach Choir for some years when she lived in London. The choir used to rehearse weekly and in the middle of each practice, they used to break out for refreshment, bringing with them thermos flasks etc. and sitting in little groups. The Duchess of Kent used to sit with the little groups of 3, 4 and 5, with her detective suddenly materialising with the Duchess' own thermos etc. One day, my friend turned up without her own little snack. It was during the time of the IRA bombings , and my friend, who worked near Victoria Station, had been evacuated from her office as there was a bomb scare that afternoon. It was the evening rush hour, and the police would not let anyone back and so my friend just went on to her Bach choir rehearsal, remembering too late that her little bag was still back at the office. In fact, a couple of other choir members were in the same position, as they had been evacuated from their offices too, and had left most of their belongings behind. The kind Duchess swiftly produced spare cups etc and poured my friend and several others a cup of coffee. The Duchess has a very 'far-from-grand' human side to her and I must say I miss the kindliness and compassion that she used to bring to her public engagements. It is always a delight for me when I see her at a Royal occasion.

Alex

The late Duke of Kent, Prince George, was an excellent pianist from what I've read. Not so surprising as he was quite interested and talented in many fields concerning art. He and Marina loved to play duets. In their living room they had two pianos side by side and that was the way how they loved to play together. After George's death noone would ever play on his piano again...

It's said that Lord Freddie is also a talented pianist. Princess Michael plays piano too and she plays the guitar. I don't know more about the other members of the family.

The video about Diana playing piano is very very sweet. :)

I read that Infanta Margarita of Spain is an excellent pianist & a lover of classical music.

Although it is not exactly playing an instrument, the Duchess of Kent also has a lovely singing voice, and was in London's Bach Choir for many years. It is a large chorus based in London under the baton of an eminent conductor. Not all of its members are profesional 'full time singers'.

I have a friend who is a mezzo soprano and was in the Bach Choir for some years when she lived in London. The choir used to rehearse weekly and in the middle of each practice, they used to break out for refreshment, bringing with them thermos flasks etc. and sitting in little groups. The Duchess of Kent used to sit with the little groups of 3, 4 and 5, with her detective suddenly materialising with the Duchess' own thermos etc. One day, my friend turned up without her own little snack. It was during the time of the IRA bombings , and my friend, who worked near Victoria Station, had been evacuated from her office as there was a bomb scare that afternoon. It was the evening rush hour, and the police would not let anyone back and so my friend just went on to her Bach choir rehearsal, remembering too late that her little bag was still back at the office. In fact, a couple of other choir members were in the same position, as they had been evacuated from their offices too, and had left most of their belongings behind. The kind Duchess swiftly produced spare cups etc and poured my friend and several others a cup of coffee. The Duchess has a very 'far-from-grand' human side to her and I must say I miss the kindliness and compassion that she used to bring to her public engagements. It is always a delight for me when I see her at a Royal occasion.

Alex

Interesting. Thank you again for your stories :flowers:. Voice is considered an instrument. A secondary school that I visited couple of years ago for observation purposes had a music concentration, and in order to get into the school, students had to be proficient in two instruments. If a student sang, that was equivalent to playing an instrument.

Nice video of Princess Diana. She played the piano very well.

I was looking at some info on Royal children that play a musical instrument. Elisabeth and Gabriel both play the piano, Amalia sings but also plays the violin with Alexia...
What about other Royal children?

And what about Harp? Any royal (adult or not) plays it? Harp is one of the most grogeous and delicate musical instrument out there and also unusual because its rare to find someone who plays it.

Apparently the Duchess of Cambridge learnt to sing and play the flute whilst at school - sorry about font - cut and paste from DM

"Shortly before she left the school, she also passed her Associated Board Grade 111 flute examination with merit and also her Grade 1V and V singing."

Apparently the Duchess of Cambridge learnt to sing and play the flute whilst at school - sorry about font - cut and paste from DM

"Shortly before she left the school, she also passed her Associated Board Grade 111 flute examination with merit and also her Grade 1V and V singing."

She's one well-rounded and talented lady.

Empress Michiko of Japan is a great pianist.

Princess Amélia of Brazil also plays the piano.

Prince Rafael of Brazil plays guitar.

Princess Maria Gabriela of Brazil is gifted musician, she plays various intruments.

Back
Top Bottom