The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 09-23-2013, 03:17 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayli View Post
Lady Louise, daughter of Queen Victoria. She married the Marquess of Lorne (later Duke of Argyll) against the wishes of her mother. They drifted apart eventually, although this may have been because they were unable to have children.
Queen Victoria was against all of her daughters' marriages apart from the Princess Royal's marriage to the future Emperor Frederick. PRINCESS Louise was always a bit of a rebel, but it seems made a success of being the Governor General of Canada's wife, until an accident incapacitated her. I believe the Duke was bisexual and that is why the marriage disintegrated. Sad

Old 09-11-2014, 04:01 PM
Aristocracy

Definitely Caroline and Philip Junot

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

Old 09-11-2014, 04:08 PM
Heir Apparent

But Nicolas II truly and dearly loved Alix!
They were, contrary to the rest of the couples mentioned above, really happy marriage.
Old 09-11-2014, 09:05 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marengo View Post
At the moment probably AD Karlof Austria. Half the family stayed away from his wedding to Franscesca Thyssen. And since the couple sadly seperated they gave this self righteous side of the family more reasons to feel self righteous.
And now we have Sofia Helqvist...welcome my Princess of the tattoos and piercings and the nude pix. Ick.
Old 09-11-2014, 11:05 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biri View Post
But Nicolas II truly and dearly loved Alix!
They were, contrary to the rest of the couples mentioned above, really happy marriage.
That's true, they were happy between themselves, but it is considered that Alix' influence on him and on the family's image was catastophic.
Old 10-09-2014, 03:26 PM
Serene Highness

True, but we have no idea if things would have turned out better if Nicholas had married someone else. And things probably would have happened anyway, sooner or later.
Old 10-09-2014, 04:51 PM
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

I doubt it. Without WWI Imperial Russia may have struggled forward a bit longer, but the war just changed the whole dynamics. It is unlikely that with another wife the war would have been prevented or would have fared significantly better for Russia. Still, she didn't help, that is for sure.
Old 08-20-2017, 06:01 AM
Heir Presumptive

Well who cares about the fall of a dynasty as long as your in loooove. :rollseyes:
Regarding Victoria I find it hard to take any objection she had to any of her children's marriages seriously; some of those kids probably just married to get away.
Jaqueline Bouvier Kennedy, September 12, 1953
Countess Stephanie of Belgium October 20, 2012
Old 08-20-2017, 06:27 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemisia View Post
Alfonso XIII of Spain and Victoria Eugenie of Battenberg.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fearghas View Post
I think in this case it was Ena who should ahve listened to her uncle. Edward VII was set against the mnarriage, probably because he knew the kind of an that Alfonso was.
i think in this case also from Alfonso's side there were objections, as i understand it his mother was against the marriage

Bu then, there are probably also cases where the family *were* against but a marriage turned out fine (maybe that's another thread )
Old 08-20-2017, 06:44 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee-Z View Post
i think in this case also from Alfonso's side there were objections, as i understand it his mother was against the marriage

Bu then, there are probably also cases where the family *were* against but a marriage turned out fine (maybe that's another thread )
As I understand it, Queen Maria Christina wanted Alfonso to marry one of her Habsburg relatives rather than a Protestant princess which she considered to be non-dynastic.

It is quite ironic that, during the recent state banquet in honor of King Felipe VI, Queen Elizabeth II made a reference to Alfonso meeting Ena in the same ballroom at Buckingham Palace as an example of how "state visits can occasionally lead to great personal happiness", even though it is widely known that Ena's and Alfonso's marriage was not a happy one. That just illustrates why one should be skeptical (BrEng sceptical) about everything that is said in speeches like that.
Old 08-20-2017, 07:40 AM
Heir Apparent

Definitely Felipe II Habsburg should have listened to the Pope and not marry his own niece.
Old 08-28-2017, 07:00 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by COUNTESS View Post
He was not, mentally, stable.
News to me that Alfonso was "not mentally stable". he was spoiled and selfish, and there was the religious issue... I think that's why Edward VII was cautious about it...
Old 08-28-2017, 07:06 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by XeniaCasaraghi View Post
Well who cares about the fall of a dynasty as long as your in loooove. :rollseyes:
Regarding Victoria I find it hard to take any objection she had to any of her children's marriages seriously; some of those kids probably just married to get away.
they married because they wanted to, esp for the girls it was the only way they ahd of having some status and independence.. even if sometimes being a wife was more restricting than being a spinster daughter.
I think that Victria did object to marriages because she was bossy and liked to try and control her children.. and they loved her but found her hard going and were a bit scared of her.. So they were eager to establish some independence by marrying.. and she was determined to try and control who they married and to tryr and keep at least one daughter as a companion. She allowed Helena to marry P Christian if Christian came to live in the UK, which he was Ok with doing.. with Beatrice, she tried to insist on HER remaining single..
However while she was selfish, in her way, Victoria wasn't so selfish that she did not eventualy give in and let Bea marry, though Prince Henry grew impatient with the queen's interference in their lives and his being stuck at Court.
Alix was more selfish in managing to keep HER "spinster daughter" Toria by her side..
Old 08-30-2017, 09:54 AM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biri View Post
Definitely Felipe II Habsburg should have listened to the Pope and not marry his own niece.
Why not ? There was his grandson, Felipe IV. also married his niece.
Old 08-30-2017, 09:58 AM
Heir Apparent

Because constant inbreeding caused the branch of Habsburgs in Spain to die out.
And Charles II - the most victim of it - was gravely disabled and very unhappy because of it.
Old 09-19-2017, 09:08 AM
Gentry

In recent times I have read things stating 'abolish the monarchy if he marries so & so' - 'we fund them and can get rid if he weds so & so'.

You don't pay Harry a salary. He is a Prince of the Realm and a WORKING ROYAL just as the others, Kate&Wills, Anne, Sophie&Edward et al. All representing our Queen. The State provides the security detail, that's about it. As a matter of fact the British Royal Family gives far much more in funds & revenue to the State than the other way round. The day the mean spirited & mealy mouthed bigots get their wish in abolishing the monarchy will be the day you'll discover you're financially worse off. Properties belonging to the Royals but held by the State will have to be returned to the rightful owners,The Royals. You will also find that Global Organisations as well as local ones including Charities will continue to seek the PATRONAGE of the Royal Family whether or not they reign. Win,Win either way for our Royals. They will always be Royals and nobody can take that away. Lose, lose to his detractors. He was / is never going to be king anyway. So who do they think will be losing out if the monarchy goes? Certainly not Harry.
Old 09-19-2017, 10:35 AM
Heir Apparent

Princess Marie Christine of Belgium for her 2 Weddings. She was banned and could attend her Father Funerals.
Old 09-19-2017, 11:08 AM
Heir Presumptive

Fascinating thread! Doing historical research with all the mentions.
Old 09-19-2017, 11:44 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter View Post
And now we have Sofia Helqvist...welcome my Princess of the tattoos and piercings and the nude pix. Ick.
Were Prince Carl Philips's parents against his marriage to Sofia? I don't follows this royal family like I do the British Royal Family.
Old 09-19-2017, 11:56 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by duchessrachel View Post
Were Prince Carl Philips's parents against his marriage to Sofia? I don't follows this royal family like I do the British Royal Family.
Nothing public was ever said if they were...and they appear to get along with her.

LaRae