Royals Marrying Late In Life

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
He was born 1817
And married Emma in 1879
So, 62. A bit younger than I remembered.
He died in 1890, when the daughter from his second marriage was still only 10 years old. Queen Emma acted as Regent untill Wilhelmina turned 18 in 1898 and became Queen.

Emma was younger than his 3 sons, 2 of whom were alive when they wed. William was 39 (born in 1840) and Alexander 28. The middle brother died earlier. William died in 1879 and Alex in 1884, their mother had in 1877. At 39 and 33, both died never having married.

By country broke down marriages into 2: 1st spouse/any spouse (case of multiple). and kids eldest at birth of 1st, and eldest of simply any child

Dutch:
-1st marriage: Philip William (52)
-1st child: William IV (37)
-marriage: William III (62)
-child: William III (63)

Belgium:
-1st marriage: Philippe (36)
-1st kid: Leopold I (43)- not counting stillborn with Charlotte)
-marriage: Leopold I (42)
-kid: Leopold I (50)

England (prior to union)
-1st m: Edward the confessor (43)
-1st k: Henry I and James I(34)
-m: Edward I (60)
-k: Edward (67)

Scotland: prior to James VI
-1st m: William Lion (43)
-1st k: William Lion (50)
-m: Alexander III (44)
-K: William Lion (55)

Last edited:
In 1879 His Majesty Willem III Alexander Frederik Paul Lodewijk, King of the Netherlands, Prince of Orange-Nassau, Grand Duke of Luxembourg, etc. etc. etc. married at the age of 62 with Her Royal Highness Princess Adelheid Emma Wilhelmine Theresia Princess von Waldeck und Pyrmont then aged 21....

Their daughter Wilhelmina (grandmother of Princess Beatrix) would reign the Netherlands for almost 60 years (1890-1948)

:flowers:

Princess Emma was a Serene Highness not a Royal Highness.

King Willem I of the Netherlands (1772-1843) married in 1840 Henriette countess d'Oultremont de Wégimont (1792-1864). It was his second marriage. She was a lady-in-waiting from the Kings first wife Queen Wilhelmina of Prussia. She was a catholic and that was a problem then for a protestant dynasty.

Heu... from the present-day royals:
Princess Laurentien (1966) is older than her husband Prince Constantijn of the Netherlands (1969);
Princess Märtha Louise of Norway (1971) is older than her husband Ari Behn (1972);
Princess Tessy (1984) is older than her husband Prince Louis of Luxembourg (1985);
Princess Sophie (1967) is older than her husband Hereditary Prince Aloïs von and zu Liechtenstein (1968):
Infanta Doña Cristina (1965) is older than her husband Iñaki Urdangarín (1968);

Etc. Etc. Etc.

All four daughters of Queen Juliana married a man who was older than they were. (Prince Claus 12 years and Jorge Guillermo 1 year for instance). But that is not so very exceptional I think.

He was born 1817
And married Emma in 1879
So, 62. A bit younger than I remembered.
He died in 1890, when the daughter from his second marriage was still only 10 years old. Queen Emma acted as Regent untill Wilhelmina turned 18 in 1898 and became Queen.

Casimir Jagiellon (1427 –1492) was the third and youngest son of King Władysław II Jagiełło and his fourth wife, Sophia of Halshany. His father was already 65 (or 75, exact date of birth unknown) at the time of Casimir’s birth.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Casimir_IV_Jagiellon
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Władysław_II_Jagiełło
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sophia_of_Halshany

After his tragic short marriage to Princess Charlotte of Great Britain, who died in 1817, Leopold I, later King of the Belgians, married Louise Marie of Orleans in 1832. He was then 42 and she was 22 years younger. He outlived her too.

In the modern day stakes Prince Charles has to be well up there when he married Camilla!
Even his marrriage to Diana at 32/33 some twenty five odd years earlier he was seen as a late starter!

Heu... from the present-day royals:
Princess Laurentien (1966) is older than her husband Prince Constantijn of the Netherlands (1969);
Princess Märtha Louise of Norway (1971) is older than her husband Ari Behn (1972);
Princess Tessy (1984) is older than her husband Prince Louis of Luxembourg (1985);
Princess Sophie (1967) is older than her husband Hereditary Prince Aloïs von and zu Liechtenstein (1968):
Infanta Doña Cristina (1965) is older than her husband Iñaki Urdangarín (1968);

Etc. Etc. Etc.

Queen Silvia is also older than King Carl-Gustav
Bye Bine

In the modern day stakes Prince Charles has to be well up there when he married Camilla!
Even his marrriage to Diana at 32/33 some twenty five odd years earlier he was seen as a late starter!
I think that around 30 wasn't too bad but he was leaiving it a bit late, when he had to marry a young woman. He and Cam are almost the same age I tink she may be a year or so older?

I think that around 30 wasn't too bad but he was leaiving it a bit late, when he had to marry a young woman. He and Cam are almost the same age I tink she may be a year or so older?

Camilla is 16 months older, born July 1947, Charles November 1948:flowers:

A second marriage is very different. If younger like Joachim there is expectation of kids. But Charles and Camilla both had grown kids, and were looking to be grandparents (Tom married same year, Laura the following, Lola born 2 years later). Their marriage is one of love and companionship, happy to share in each other's kids/grandkids. Seeing Charles with Cam's granddkids,you can see a bond.

Anne was 42 when she remarried. Tim was 37. If ages were reversed, perhaps kids may have been considered. I wonder if Tim ever missed having his own? But he seems close to her kids, and a doting grandpa to her 3 granddaughters. Peter would have been 15. and Zara 11 when they wed.

Marrying older is becoming more common. In 1981, Charles was considered late at 33. And even in 1999, Edward at 35. Yet in 2015, when 36 year old Carl Philip got married, no such 'later age' talk was had. The 'marrying age' has gone up (especially for men) and so has the 'later in life' age. Royal women the age talk remains as kids over 40 is still grey area for many. Woman married at 36 has less years for kids. Sophie was 34, 38 with Louise and 42 with James and had issues with both. Sofia on the other hand is 31 (32 in December), so even if CP is 37, she is younger.

He was a late marrier because he had to marry a virgin, ie a much younger woman. If he'd left it much longer, as PHilip put it, there would be no one left. But I certainly think that there nothing wrong with a royal male marrying In his 30s if he can marry a woman close in age.. She's still young enough to have 2 or 3 children.

Prince Henry of the Netherlands married late in life just like his brother, Willem III. He had been married once before, to Amalia of Saxe-Weimar-Eisenach. They had a happy marriage, but were childless. Amalia died in 1872.

At the age of 58, Henry married Marie of Prussia in 1878. She was just shy of her 23rd birthday. Willem III's marriage had produced three sons, one of whom died as a child. The two remaining sons were known as dissolute (as was Willem himself), so Henry's marriage was intended to save the House of Orange-Nassau from extinction.

Henry's marriage to Marie was also childless and lasted just five months. He died of measles in 1879. Poor Marie was left destitute as Henry had not yet changed his will to include her. She married again a few years later and had two daughters.

Thankfully the House of Orange-Nassau did not die out thanks to Willem III's second marriage to Emma of Waldeck-Pyrmont, as already mentioned.

Tsar Ivan IV of Russia was born August 25, 1530.
His fourth wife was Anna Alexeievna Koltovskaya. She was born c. 1552.
Ivan and Anna married on April 29, 1572.

Back
Top Bottom