The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 08-12-2005, 11:28 PM
Nobility

on the 1st page of this topic many members think that Joachim and Alexandra will be married for life, but look, they are now divorced
i wonder how much we really know about the royals, how much we see is real, or simple illusions

Life is mostly froth and bubbles Two things stand like stone
Kindness in others' trouble Courage in your own
Old 08-12-2005, 11:49 PM
Courtier

In my defense, how were we to predict Joachim's mid-life crisis (fast cars, smoking, drinking, partying, etc.)? I thought they'd be together because I didn't count on Joachim being such a flake.

Old 08-13-2005, 12:04 PM
Courtier

I gave my list earlier, but I do not foresee this wonderful couple (Phillippe and Mathilde) ever separating!
Old 08-13-2005, 01:29 PM
Royal Highness
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by florawindsor
on the 1st page of this topic many members think that Joachim and Alexandra will be married for life, but look, they are now divorced
i wonder how much we really know about the royals, how much we see is real, or simple illusions
It's like it was with Charles and Diana. The tabloids gave us startling stories even in the early 80's, which the Palace discounted. Then after the 10th anniversary it was increasingly obvious that the horror stories, which we had all discounted b/c they were in the tabloids and because we all wanted the fairytale, turned out to be true.

We don't really know anything, except what the royal pr people want us to believe.
Old 08-13-2005, 08:22 PM
Serene Highness

"It's like it was with Charles and Diana. The tabloids gave us startling stories even in the early 80's, which the Palace discounted. Then after the 10th anniversary it was increasingly obvious that the horror stories, which we had all discounted b/c they were in the tabloids and because we all wanted the fairytale, turned out to be true.

We don't really know anything, except what the royal pr people want us to believe."

Iowabelle, I couldn't agree more! But I agree with some posters that it would be <very> surprising if Phillipe and Mathilde would ever divorce, they seem made for each other. But again, we don't know these people first hand so what do we really know?!? Case inpoint being Joachim and Alex.
Old 08-14-2005, 01:19 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiffyBallerina
In my defense, how were we to predict Joachim's mid-life crisis (fast cars, smoking, drinking, partying, etc.)? I thought they'd be together because I didn't count on Joachim being such a flake.
that's what i want to say too. before the divorce, all I hear of Joachim&Alexandria is how they are in love, how romantic their marriage is, never a word of his smoking, drinking, partying.

and all of a sudden, they seperated, and then divorced. then all sorts of stories of his bad behavior came out in the press. the handsome and loving prince image was damaged over night. :(

we never know really know how a royal really is, only what the press or the palace want us to know. and that can be really deceiving sometimes. our predication of their marriage, on such a unreliable basis, is thus unreliable

Life is mostly froth and bubbles Two things stand like stone
Kindness in others' trouble Courage in your own
Old 08-14-2005, 03:21 AM
Heir Presumptive

well its impossible to know who will stay married for life, but definately Queen Elizabeth and Prince Philip. I also have a feeling the Edward and Sophie will stay married. But as i said, its impossible to know what might happen in the future. I think we need Nostradamus:)
Old 09-05-2005, 08:56 AM
Royal Highness

good marriages

I have been wondering for along time, regarding royal couples who are married, they seem so much in love, many of them really sacrificed so much to get married to each other, but how much of it is true? What of it is a sham. For instance, Alexandra and Joachim of Denmark seemed so much in love, when did it all go sour? to cut a long story short, which of the couples in your opinion of the old and newly weds are really in love and have a great healthy relationship? and why do you think so? or on what basis?
Old 09-05-2005, 09:10 AM
Courtier

I suppose it's always hard to know what goes on behind closed doors with *any* marriage, especially a royal one. If by a good marriage, you mean one that's enduring, affectionate, respectful, etc, then I would nominate:
Juan Carlos and Sophia
Elizabeth and Phillip
Margrethe and Hendrik
Of the "newlywed" crop of royals I would say probably Abdullah and Rania and Frederik and Mary are true love matches that I would expect to last long. Naruhito and Masako are another pair who have overcome a lot of adversity in their time together and it seems to have brought them closer together. As for my beloved Felipe and Letizia , I would say that the only problem I could see in the future would be if Letizia grew tired of her role as future Queen and all its various demands, and that might cause some friction. (Let me hasten to add I do think she and Felipe love each other very much). Again, time will tell the tale. I think whatever happened with Joachim and Alexandra was very sad but they both seemed to have put any mutual hostility aside and tried to go on with their lives.
Old 09-05-2005, 09:28 AM
Heir Apparent

As an outsider it's always difficult to assess the state of someone's marriage, even more so when the couple in question happen to be Royalty. I think its difficult to ever say whether somebody is more in love than another couple based on their public actions. After all, Joachim and Alexandra were incredibly affectionate in public yet behind closed doors the situation was obviously quite different.

Moreover I think it's important that just because a couple aren't particularly touchy feely, doesn't make them less in love than a couple who seem overtly passionate.
Old 09-05-2005, 09:31 AM
Nobility

I know this might sound crazy, but I think Prince Charles and Princess Diana when they tried to make a real go of it were once very happy together.
But yes, we don't really know.
I agree with Queens of England and Denmark and their husbands. They seem rock solid
Old 09-06-2005, 01:32 AM
Courtier

How could Diana and Charles EVER have made that work? I'm just amazed they lasted as long as they did. All that pressure to get married to someone suitable and the unhappiness that brought, and then all the adultery...Geez....those people probably never had a chance.
Old 09-06-2005, 06:15 AM
Nobility

I know, obviously it didn't happen, I'm just saying that it probably wasn't a complete misery, they seemed very happy once.
Old 09-06-2005, 06:56 AM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by sky
Elizabeth and Philip
Henri and Maria Tersea
Joachim and Alexandra
Margethe and Hendrik
it's soooooooo sad!
Old 10-18-2005, 08:20 PM
Heir Presumptive

Mary and Frederik I Pray for the sake of their infant son
Old 07-05-2007, 10:12 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedom View Post
Which royal couples do you think will remain married for life?
HM Queen Elizabeth II & HRH Prince Philip,The Duke of Edinburgh of Britain.
Old 07-06-2007, 10:51 PM
Commoner

Quote:
It's very interesting how many people thought Joachim and Alexandra would stay together...
I agree, it certainly is very interesting reading this thread now! So many people thought Joachim and Alexandra would stay together! They must of hid their problems very well because I am sure they did not divorce on a whim, the problems had to be months, probably years, in the making. As for my list of couples I think will stay together....

Married for life:
Maxima & W-A
M-M & Haakon
Mathilde & Phillipe

Possible Divorce:
Martha Louise & Ari (not sure why I think this, possibly bc he wasn't in the Family Christmas pic)
Letizia & Felipe
Frederik & Mary (He's gone and awful lot)
Old 07-06-2007, 11:35 PM
Aristocracy

I don't think the couples that married because of a pregnancy (Caroline and E-A, Louis and Tessy, Emanuele and Clothilde) will stay together, mainly because their marriages were a bit...forced. In the cases of Caroline and E-A and Emanuele and Clothilde, they were hoping for an heir. Louis and Tessy did get married after the birth of Gabriel...but Louis comes from a very family-centered background, so who knows. :-/
Old 07-07-2007, 12:16 AM
Heir Apparent

Married for life:

The Kings of Spain
The Queen and Prince Philip
The Dukes of Palma
The Prince and Princess of Orange
The Prince of Wales and the Duchess of Cornwall
The Duke and Duchess of Brabant

Probable (most like sure) Divorces:

The Prince and Princess of Asturias
The Dukes of Lugo